The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

NO ONE on here has ANY business in HER BUSINESS.

except that when you make broad sweeping statements (like, say, about the importance of education) you can expect some feedback on that.
  • Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@cbmac12:

1. The colour of her underwear

2. The way she cooks a Paella

3. Her favourite sleeping-positions

4. What she thinks about William

Point 1-4 are examples for things, I would say are her private business and must not discussed here.

If she wants to keep her edjucational targets private, she should not talk about it. But she does. Again and again over years. In nearly every interview.

So, at the moment she is seen as a "role model for educational achievments" and as a "role model for putting education in front of any other things" by many, many people.

By people, who cannot afford to have two or three timeouts during studying.

That's the thing.

I agree that her being a role model was always hinged on her putting education first. This isn't a huge deal for me as I don't have kids and I don't need a role model, but a lot of her younger followers might think differently.

Marie Claire February 2013:

So in-between the movie career and being the face of Lancome and Burberry, she decided to fit in a degree in literature at Brown University in New York. She managed two years before it became impossible to combine both work and studies, so she decided to take a year out. At the time there were incorrect press reports saying she'd been bullied - claims that she subsequently rubbished. 

A month before we meet, her spokesperson confirmed her plans to return to Brown around now [January 2013]. Although I’ve been given specific email instructions not to mention her studies, Watson refers to them freely throughout the interview, and there’s no reason to think they’ve been anything but positive for her.

Despite everything her career means to her, she will not allow it to mutate into something destructive. ‘Friends and family come first and work comes second; that’s just how I live my life,’ she insists. ‘I try to step away from the entertainment industry when I go and study - that gives me more time, I did my third year in Oxford, so that I could be around my family. Ultimately, they’re the priority. I don’t put anything above them.’

Today, she is more philosophical about things. I point out that here she is, fronting a brand, when perhaps it feels as if she is one herself. 'It kind of does feel that way. That’s just something I’ve come to realise. That there’s a public persona... And I have to accept that I can’t control that persona, because it’s created by other people.

I just keep in mind that that’s what they're projecting onto me. I try to remember that there are two separate people: the professional me and the private me. Both different. I try to draw a line between the two.’

Where in that article does she say that education is more important than acting or any other part of her life?

If you say that she's always pushing how important it is, why does she ask the interviewer to not bring up questions about it?

This interview is three pages long and this part is the only time spent talking about school. 

If you say that she's always pushing how important it is, why does she ask the interviewer to not bring up questions about it?

Because I think she is well aware of the fact that education is no longer her top priority. Maybe she would love to get rid of it already. But this would be demaging her image.

And I said in "nearly every interview over the last years".

Did you read the article? She says "‘I try to step away from the entertainment industry when I go and study - that gives me more time, I did my third year in Oxford, so that I could be around my family. Ultimately, they’re the priority. I don’t put anything above them.’

Where does she say that education is the top priority?

Why are suggesting that she is saying that without any actual evidence of her saying that?

Why? Because she is well aware of the fact that she cannot match the targets she put up for herself. Why, do you think, said her management, "not to mention her studies". Refering to something is one thing, doing it the other thing. She will never get her degree in this term and I hold a bet on that.

‘Friends and family come first and work comes second; that’s just how I live my life,’ she insists.

would be nice if this was true; however, breaking free from university constraints to shoot a movie isn't spending time with "friends and family".

eh, your logic is faulty. If you're asked not to bring up a certain topic in an interview, it's because people are touchy about it - for example, when their actions and statements might not align. If she wanted to dismiss the importance of education, setting such limits wouldn't be necessary - she could simply say, "I don't spend as much time at uni as I could because I want to act and do other things with my time". Which Emma doesn't say, and which she probably never will say, because it goes against everything that she held up when she was younger.

.eh, your logic is faulty. If you're asked not to bring up a certain topic in an interview, it's because people are touchy about it - for example, when their actions and statements might not align. If she wanted to dismiss the importance of education, setting such limits wouldn't be necessary - she could simply say, "I don't spend as much time at uni as I could because I want to act and do other things with my time". Which Emma doesn't say, and which she probably never will say, because it goes against everything that she held up when she was younger.

So the fact that she's never said that is proof that she "dismisses the important of education"? Seriously?

You're only evidence of her believing that is based on what she never actually said?

Why? Because she is well aware of the fact that she cannot match the targets she put up for herself. Why, do you think, said her management, "not to mention her studies". Refering to something is one thing, doing it the other thing. She will never get her degree in this term and I hold a bet on that.

I don't care what she will or will not accomplish in the future. That's not even what we're talking about. 

This whole conversation is about how your holding Emma responsible for claims she isn't actually making right now.

Either she's saying education is a top priority for her right now or she isn't. What do you have to back up your claim that she is?

So the fact that she's never said that is proof that she "dismisses the important of education"? Seriously?

You're only evidence of her believing that is based on what she never actually said?

I don't care what she will or will not accomplish in the future. That's not even what we're talking about. 

This whole conversation is about how your holding Emma responsible for claims she isn't actually making right now.

Either she's saying education is a top priority for her right now or she isn't. What do you have to back up your claim that she is?

Education is a long time process, even on a university. When she started University she claimed that it is her first priority to study. Ok. A normal education at a university takes 3-4 years. After the first year she stopped studying and went off to do shootings and movies. After another term she changed to GB, to be nearer her jobs and her family (maybe). You cannot switch on and off a educational target like a lightpulb.

She said that education is top for her. So she should proofe it and finish her education with a degree. If not, she should have the backbone to say: "Sorry, nevermore". Nobody will blame her for that. It's so simple. Meet the targets you set up for yourself or do not even talk about.

No, you misread. I said if she wanted to say that her education is no longer the top priority in her life, she could do so - but she doesn't. So she keeps things unclear.

Well, if you've gone really over the top at one point with your statements (and she really did that when she was younger, she brought up studying quite often), and you no longer feel the same way, the obvious thing would be to say that loud and clear. If you used to campaign for the political far right, but became a liberal later on, you'd certainly explain that transition. You wouldn't just say that you don't want to comment on politics.

So what I'd expect from Emma is to say clearly that education isn't her all anymore. Instead, as with the MTV awards, she keeps coming back to urge people to be studious; this just doesn't make sense.

No, you misread. I said if she wanted to say that her education is no longer the top priority in her life, she could do so - but she doesn't. So she keeps things unclear.

Well, if you've gone really over the top at one point with your statements (and she really did that when she was younger, she brought up studying quite often), and you no longer feel the same way, the obvious thing would be to say that loud and clear. If you used to campaign for the political far right, but became a liberal later on, you'd certainly explain that transition. You wouldn't just say that you don't want to comment on politics.

So what I'd expect from Emma is to say clearly that education isn't her all anymore. Instead, as with the MTV awards, she keeps coming back to urge people to be studious; this just doesn't make sense.

What's unclear? She said what her priorities are in the interview:

‘Friends and family come first and work comes second; that’s just how I live my life,'

That's pretty loud and clear to me.

Just because she didn't word it exactly like you want doesn't mean that she didn't address it.

Don't expect her to reevaluate her life goals and explain every change in her life every time she does an interview. That would be exhausting.

She's just answering questions and talking about what's important to her at that moment. 

This isn't a biography.

Education is a long time process, even on a university. When she started University she claimed that it is her first priority to study. Ok. A normal education at a university takes 3-4 years. After the first year she stopped studying and went off to do shootings and movies. After another term she changed to GB, to be nearer her jobs and her family (maybe). You cannot switch on and off a educational target like a lightpulb.

Yes, you can. When you are an actor and a student that is exactly what you can do.

She said that education is top for her. So she should proofe it and finish her education with a degree. If not, she should have the backbone to say: "Sorry, nevermore". Nobody will blame her for that. It's so simple. Meet the targets you set up for yourself or do not even talk about.

WHERE DOES SHE SAY THAT. GIVE ME EVIDENCE.

WHERE DOES SHE SAY THAT. GIVE ME EVIDENCE.

Here a quote out of a interview with the Daily Telegraph in 2011:

"I would like to go to university and complete a degree and so that will mean a break from acting," Miss Watson, who has made more than £10 million thus far from the Harry Potter franchise, told The Telegraph.

"I've always tried to balance my education with my acting career, but I just don't think it will be possible to juggle it with a degree course. I have a need now to study."

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

What's unclear? She said what her priorities are in the interview:

‘Friends and family come first and work comes second; that’s just how I live my life,'

That's pretty loud and clear to me.

It might be loud, but certainly not clear - I repeat, she doesn't just take time off to see her parents maybe once a year. She's regularly taken breaks to do all kinds of things that had nothing to do with friends or family.

Don't expect her to reevaluate her life goals and explain every change in her life every time she does an interview. That would be exhausting.

This is ridiculous. Until a while ago, she constantly affirmed her views of how important education is. If you then change your opinion radically, I'd expect to read that in plain words in AT LEAST ONE INTERVIEW. But so far, nothing has happened in this regard.

Here a quote out of a interview with the Daily Telegraph in 2011:

"I would like to go to university and complete a degree and so that will mean a break from acting," Miss Watson, who has made more than £10 million thus far from the Harry Potter franchise, told The Telegraph.

"I've always tried to balance my education with my acting career, but I just don't think it will be possible to juggle it with a degree course. I have a need now to study."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/3054534/Harry-Potter-actress-Emma-Watson-puts-acting-career-on-hold.html

That article is not from 2011. That article was published on September 22, 2008.

She hadn't even enrolled in Brown yet.

Seriously. I want you to show me where she said this, even remotely recently.

It might be loud, but certainly not clear - I repeat, she doesn't just take time off to see her parents maybe once a year. She's regularly taken breaks to do all kinds of things that had nothing to do with friends or family.

This is ridiculous. Until a while ago, she constantly affirmed her views of how important education is. If you then change your opinion radically, I'd expect to read that in plain words in AT LEAST ONE INTERVIEW. But so far, nothing has happened in this regard.

You're assuming her opinion has changed radically solely based on the places she has traveled to.

Nothing she has ever said suggests her opinion has changed radically.

You're extrapolating huge amounts of information just from her showing up at places and doing things apart from her family.

You don't know how often she talks to her family. You don't know how often she studies for her classes. 

Why do you insist on saying you know what she's feeling?

2011 or 2008 - does it matter?

She said that she has "to study now" and I think, she ment studying for a degree, means, finish study the whole way through and telling the world in that way that she is not only "bright" as Hermione, but also as Emma.

Of course you can tell from her travel schedule, if she is studying with interest or not. Fyling 3 times to LA in her last term  within 6 Weeks, spending at least 12 days out of 30 "working day" NOT studying, taking another week off for a holiday with the boyfriend, shows  that she is not very interested in finishing her degree. This would only work if you get a degree on the basis of "donations", something I will clearly not say about her.

Yes, it absolutely matters.

In 2008, she was a year away from even starting classes at Brown. SHE WAS NOT A COLLEGE STUDENT.

This is 2013. Not 2008. What she said 5 years ago is irrelevant to what her situation is right now.

I asked you show me proof of her saying that education is her top priority right now. You haven't yet.

Either put up or shut up.

Either put up or shut up.

Try to behave. Don't get personal. You make the same mistake like many other people here. Nobody in this world is allowed to tell me to shut up. If you have no better arguments, you should leave this discussion.

Fact is, she always said how important education is and she is not able to finish a ordinary education at a university in propper time, something, millions of other students can do. I believe, that she will NOT get her degree in this term and that it is slowly in doubt if she ever will get one.

On one hand it is good, because maybe we see more movies and shootings with her, on the other hand it is better not to believe what she is saying anymore.

You're assuming her opinion has changed radically solely based on the places she has traveled to.

Nothing she has ever said suggests her opinion has changed radically.

I see you really want to defend her, and you're grasping at every straw in an unreasonable way. Ok.

Something is not your top priority when you take breaks from it to do completely other things - that's not my assumption, it's a definition. That she says nothing about this only means that her actions and her words aren't one and the same.

You don't know how often she talks to her family. You don't know how often she studies for her classes.

No, but that doesn't matter. Her mom wasn't on every set of every movie she's done in the meantime. She probably studies, but it doesn't seem to be where her only focus is - no one said that Emma doesn't study at all.  

Something is not your top priority when you take breaks from it to do completely other things - that's not my assumption, it's a definition. That she says nothing about this only means that her actions and her words aren't one and the same.

I feel like I'm talking in circles here.

Your entire point is based upon the fact that she is saying that her top priority right now is education, but neither of you can prove that.

You're just speaking in generalities and saying that's her intention without any signs of proof.

Please. Please give me proof.