The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

Good thing her dad is a "laidback purveyor of fine wines", amirite? ;)

Yup, but it is too early to fill up stock with new and fine wine from France.

But maybe there is another exchange year with a Uni at France; she allways wanted to improve her French..... 

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, but it is too early to fill up stock with new and fine wine from France.

But maybe there is another exchange year with a Uni at France; she allways wanted to improve her French.....

seeing as it's probably Emma who finances his hobby, he probably just wishes her all the best wherever she goes. :doh:

Then why do you think she should not go?

Oh, she will go. Her behaviour does simply not correspond with her repeatedly made statements, that "education is the most important thing for her, education comes first, ecc.ecc.". In fact she took two timeouts during her studies so far and in this winter term (her last, as she said) she was on a longer holiday, travelled at least three times from New York to LA and stayed there for several days..... I mean, no University is so liberal that a student can come and go whenever he likes..... And the last term is a important one.....

seeing as it's probably Emma who finances his hobby, he probably just wishes her all the best wherever she goes. :doh:

I don't think that Emma is paying for his hobby. He is one of the 10 best media-lawyers in Great Britian, so he can certainly affort his own wine.

No, I think she simple lost the interest in studying. And travelling around and going to stylish parties is much more fun.

No, I mean why do YOU think she shouldn't go.

Because she should do what she is preaching for years now: finishing her degree, showing that education is what she always says - the most important thing for her.

If I would be her PR-advisor, I would tell her that she becomes unreliable. At least she should stop talking about education.

I don't think that Emma is paying for his hobby. He is one of the 10 best media-lawyers in Great Britian, so he can certainly affort his own wine.

No, I think she simple lost the interest in studying. And travelling around and going to stylish parties is much more fun.

off-topic, do you think they actually kept their money separate?

Anyways, she doesn't depend on him either. Which explains some of her decisions. While a lot of her fellow students grew up affluent, not many of them are as independent as she is.

off-topic, do you think they actually kept their money separate?

Anyways, she doesn't depend on him either. Which explains some of her decisions. While a lot of her fellow students grew up affluent, not many of them are as independent as she is.

I think that Emma manages her money by herself. I don't think that her father is very involved in it. Maybe giving some advice, who knows.

Yup, she is independend. But, and this is the question, why does a University accept such a behaviour. I think, that american universities are very strict and to study means really to work hard. She is always somewhere, attending this, attending that, then a holiday with the boyfriend....

I really would like to talk to somebody, studying at Brown, and ask him if this is possible without "special arrangements" like big donations.......

So in order to show everyone how important her education is, she should stay behind.

Not because it would affect when she would graduate, or whether or not she passes a class, but just to make an ideological statement about her current priorities? Is that what you're saying?

Yes, I do think there will always be more room to maneuver for someone who can afford to support, and might continue to support, their university. I agree that she isn't staying true to her words and the image she's tried to build for herself over the years. But it's certainly a huge temptation for her to not just be the studious cloistered mouse she has been for much of her private life, and it's something not a lot of people can afford.

edit:

Not because it would affect when she would graduate, or whether or not she passes a class, but just to make an ideological statement about her current priorities? Is that what you're saying?

She has repeatedly said, literally: "education comes first". What she's doing now is showing that education may easily take a backseat if there are other interesting things going on that you want to be a part of. It's about wether she follows up on her words. If you think that's "ideology", you should enter politics. Edited by Sacred_Path

So in order to show everyone how important her education is, she should stay behind.

Not because it would affect when she would graduate, or whether or not she passes a class, but just to make an ideological statement about her current priorities? Is that what you're saying?

She should finish it. Even Bonnie Wright managed it to finish her degree in good time, and she is not so privileged as Emma is. It is simply unfair, to tell people how important education is and then doing it a "tralala-way", means, taking timeouts whenever something comes up the road and behaving contrary to the things you say in at least every second interview. Many fans seeing her as a "role-model", but who can affort to take two timeouts during studying????

She said, education is the most important thing for her. Several times. It is just not true. Jetting around the world is the most important thing. And this is sad. Because it makes her other statements also unreliable.

I don't understand why people hold celebrities accountable for everything they've ever said in any interview ever.

Situations change. Priorities change.

Have you ever said something in the past about yourself that is no longer the case?

Would you like people to bring up things you've said in the past and criticize you for not doing exactly what you said you would?

When celebrities answer interview questions, they aren't laying out the inner-workings of their own personal life for the world to critique.

They're just answering the same stupid questions they've been asked for years, and those answers are just what they feel comfortable telling that interviewer.

It's not a therapy session. It's the press. It means nothing.

I don't understand why people hold celebrities accountable for everything they've ever said in any interview ever.

Situations change. Priorities change.

Have you ever said something in the past about yourself that is no longer the case?

This is not the case here - I'm just pointing you to the MTV Awards. Emma: "I was always the eager beaver in class!". As if that's the one thing that sets her apart; she just can't help it, she's always coming back to it.

I already said, a lot of students just don't have the options she has, and a lot of them would do just what she does, or ignore studying at all, if they had those chances. So it's a minor gripe, but it IS a bit infuriating.

It's not a therapy session. It's the press. It means nothing.

No, it is the question if you are recognised in the end by the public / fans as a trustworthy, true person or not.

Celebrities, even Emma, having a responsibility. There are surely thousands of people out there, taking her as a role-model. (Just read the aswers to her tweets. "You are my rolemodel" comes very often). If she say, that education is important, she should show it. Or say nothing. Saying in November 2012. "Last term, hurray" and beeing then more on Parties in LA then at Brown, means something.

You are not dismissed as a celebrity to tell the truth. Each and everyone should do so.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

You'll notice she was speaking in the past tense their. She WAS the eager beaver.

The whole speech was about how she's grown from that, and has EVOLVED into the ACTRESS she is today.

It seems pretty obvious that her acting career is currently a big part of her life right now, and that it wasn't necessarily that way in the past.

In the end it is simple: If she says that education is nr. 1 in her life, she should act in that way or say nothing about it. Nobody will blame her if she does not get a degree (well, besides her dominant mother, maybe), but it is not right against the fans, seeing her as a rolemodel, to behave that way.

Celebrities, even Emma, having a responsibility.

I hate that society as a whole actually thinks this.

No celebrity should let their fans dictate what they should and should not do.

Her decisions are her decisions. Not the fans.

She is responsible for herself and nobody else. 

You'll notice she was speaking in the past tense their. She WAS the eager beaver.

The whole speech was about how she's grown from that, and has EVOLVED into the ACTRESS she is today.

eh, now you're taking to semantics, and it doesn't work well. What Emma meant is that she's a studious person, obviously saying "I AM the eager beaver!" would be a bit silly for a college student. "Growing as a person" doesn't include taking breaks from your education to frolic abroad, I'd say.

She is responsible for herself and nobody else.

Good, agreed. But then she should shut up and not tell things not true. It is not the society, dictating her to say "Education is Nr. 1 for me!" - That comes from herself. We just buying the things celebs like Emma are saying. And if she remains on the track "I do not care what I sayed yesterday. Main thing: PARTY!", then in the end she is not better then Lohan, Spears & Co.

"But the cool thing is that you have supported me in all of my awkwardness and allowed me to grow into the kind of actress and the kind of person that I hope to be. So I thank you very much for that.

Becoming yourself is really hard and confusing and is a process. I was completely the eager beaver in school. I was the girl in the front of the class who was the first person to put her hand up and is often not cool to be the person that puts themselves out there and I've often gotten teased mercilessly. But I've found ultimately, if you truly pour your heart into what you believe in, even if it makes you vulnerable, amazing things can and will happen." 

She did not misspeak. She referred to how she was at school in the past, and how she has changed into who she is now.

The whole speech had absolutely nothing to do with her being at college at all. It was about herself as a kid and how she's evolved. That's it.

But then she should shut up and not tell things not true. It is not the society, dictating her to say "Education is Nr. 1 for me!" - That comes from herself. We just buying the things celebs like Emma are saying. And if she remains on the track "I do not care what I sayed yesterday. Main thing: PARTY!", then in the end she is not better then Lohan, Spears & Co.

If she did shut up, then society would be dictating what she can and can't say.

Either she can say whatever she wants and not let her fans control her, or she can shut up and just say whatever her fans want her to say.

If she did shut up, then society would be dictating what she can and can't say.

Either she can say whatever she wants and not let her fans control her, or she can shut up and just say whatever her fans want her to say.

That's not true. Nobody here or in the great wide world would discuss her education, if she would not bring up the topic at every reasonable point. I personally do not care if she has a degree or not, she has more then 30.000.000,-- in the bank, that is better then a degree. And she is obviously so privileged at University, that I am in doubt, if it is a real degree, achieved by hard work.  Why are so many young people saying that she is a rolemodel? Because she promoted her "love for education" again and again and again.

Actions speak louder than words.

People don't see her as a role model because she talked about education.

They see her as a role model because she is actually attending an Ivy League College. In real life. Not in an interview.

Nobody cares about a quote in a magazine.

They care about what she actually chooses to do with her life, or perhaps more importantly, chooses not to do.

"But the cool thing is that you have supported me in all of my awkwardness and allowed me to grow into the kind of actress and the kind of person that I hope to be. So I thank you very much for that.

Becoming yourself is really hard and confusing and is a process. I was completely the eager beaver in school. I was the girl in the front of the class who was the first person to put her hand up and is often not cool to be the person that puts themselves out there and I've often gotten teased mercilessly. But I've found ultimately, if you truly pour your heart into what you believe in, even if it makes you vulnerable, amazing things can and will happen." 

She did not misspeak. She referred to how she was at school in the past, and how she has changed into who she is now.

The whole speech had absolutely nothing to do with her being at college at all. It was about herself as a kid and how she's evolved. That's it.

You're misquoting me - I did not say she misspoke, quite the contrary, what she says is pretty clear. "I was always the eager beaver" - I'm a studious person and I believe in an education. Your semantics fall short of the fact that, throughout her university time, Emma has time and again said how important her education is to her - this is not the first, or the only time, that she said it.

Do you want me to believe that Emma meant "I was totally the eager beaver at school, but you know what, screw that - you guys have supported me and allowed me to become someone who takes time off from studying to fly abroad! Thanks!".