The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

Where in that speech does she talk about school in the present tense?

Every sentence about school is in the past tense. If you're suggesting she meant in the present tense as well, then you're suggesting she misspoke.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actions speak louder than words.

People don't see her as a role model because she talked about education.

They see her as a role model because she is actually attending an Ivy League College. In real life. Not in an interview.

Nobody cares about a quote in a magazine.

They care about what she actually chooses to do with her life, or perhaps more importantly, chooses not to do.

You say it. Her ACTIONS are speaking VERY, VERY loud!

"A day at university? Forget it. LA is calling!"

"Reading a book for my university homework? Forget it. MTV-Awards calling!"

"Ems, are you finished with the essay for University? - No, a party today and one tomorrow!"

"No time for class today. Fotoshooting for Lancome. Very important!"

"What about this lecture? - No idea. Have a movie to do on Island...."

"Maybe a little bit work for degree? - Noooo, going on holiday with Will... See you in a week!"

and so on and on and on.....

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

There ain't no antics like semantics. :rolleyes:

If I believed for a second that this is the only time she talked about education - this would lead us to the ridiculous assumption I've paraphrased above (that she put her education first but not anymore). I will give you one thing - Emma is certainly a bit conflicted about being "the brightest witch of her age", and that's a reason why she has made the decisions she's made as a uni student. She wanted to break free a bit - just a bit for someone else, but quite a bit by her own standards. But this IS conflicting with her statements at times, and that's annoying.

You say it. Her ACTIONS are speaking VERY, VERY loud!

"A day at university? Forget it. LA is calling!"

"Reading a book for my university homework? Forget it. MTV-Awards calling!"

"Ems, are you finished with the essay for University? - No, a party today and one tomorrow!"

"No time for class today. Fotoshooting for Lancome. Very important!"

"What about this lecture? - No idea. Have a movie to do on Island...."

"Maybe a little bit work for degree? - Noooo, going on holiday with Will... See you in a week!"

and so on and on and on.....

And now you've traveled completely into speculation and assumption.

You just fabricated those "actions" to prove a point you have no evidence for.

Edited by Roberto

And now you've traveled completely into speculation and assumption.

You just fabricated those "actions" to prove a point you have no evidence for.

She was in March alone two times in LA (first around the time, "PERKS" came out on DVD, and we thought she would attend a presentation, but she had only Diner with Will, the second time around the Oscars), she was again in LA for the MTV-Awards. Each travel for at least 4 days. She was on holiday with William by the end of March (it was mentioned here in the forum). Can you as a ordinary student travel around so much during term. You, Roberto, must know the american system at Universities better then we.

There ain't no antics like semantics.  :rolleyes:

If I believed for a second that this is the only time she talked about education - this would lead us to the ridiculous assumption I've paraphrased above (that she put her education first but not anymore). I will give you one thing - Emma is certainly a bit conflicted about being "the brightest witch of her age", and that's a reason why she has made the decisions she's made as a uni student. She wanted to break free a bit - just a bit for someone else, but quite a bit by her own standards. But this IS conflicting with her statements at times, and that's annoying.

This is exactly my point. I'm talking about what she just said about education, because she just said it. I can assume that her thoughts on that are presently the same because she just said it a few days ago.

The same can't be said about the years old interviews you are citing. 

They happened in the past. A place neither you, I, nor Emma occupy. The thoughts she expressed then are the thoughts of Emma at that time.

If you expect people to have the same exact thoughts and feelings throughout their whole life, prepare to disappointed.

She was in March alone two times in LA (first around the time, "PERKS" came out on DVD, and we thought she would attend a presentation, but she had only Diner with Will, the second time around the Oscars), she was again in LA for the MTV-Awards. Each travel for at least 4 days. She was on holiday with William by the end of March (it was mentioned here in the forum). Can you as a ordinary student travel around so much during term. You, Roberto, must know the american system at Universities better then we.

I'm in college right now.

The amount of time spent in class is a lot less than you seem to think.

This isn't high school. The amount of time you are required to spend on campus is however long it takes for you to take your tests, or turn in your papers. The rest doesn't really factor in to your actual grade.

You have absolutely no idea if she's been able to successfully juggle school and acting. 

All you know is where she goes. That doesn't tell you what her test scores are.

Do you only study at university? Cant you pick your books or notebook or computer and study where you want?just a question.

i dont know the rest but i dont study at nigth, i study during the day. At night i can go out if i want.

She had been filming harry potter 10/12 per year ten years and she always studied at the same time. Idk why people think she doesnt. Besides what it would be happend if she doesnt finish this year? It isnt so easy finish university year by year

This is exactly my point. I'm talking about what she just said about education, because she just said it. I can assume that her thoughts on that are presently the same because she just said it a few days ago.

They happened in the past. A place neither you, I, nor Emma occupy. The thoughts she expressed then are the thoughts of Emma at that time.

If you expect people to have the same exact thoughts and feelings throughout their whole life, prepare to disappointed.

I'm in college right now.

The amount of time spent in class is a lot less than you seem to think.

This isn't high school. The amount of time you are required to spend on campus is however long it takes for you to take your tests, or turn in your papers. The rest doesn't really factor in to your actual grade.

You have absolutely no idea if she's been able to successfully juggle school and acting. 

All you know is where she goes. That doesn't tell you what her test scores are.

And how can you make "tests" when you are never at University? Via Internet from Island or in a ad-break during the MTV awards? I am studying part-time myself and I spend DAYS at the library alone, to find and read the books, my professor wants me to read. And this is just the reading. After finishing a book I have not written a line about it. How can she do this? Reading during flights or just using Wiki-summaries? You have to write essays, 20-30 pages long. With exact quoting.. And and and... I cannot imagine that she is able to do a full and correct university life with the schedule and constant breaks she has.

I can't cite any interviews right now unfortunately as I haven't bookmarked any. Very unfortunate.

As I said I can't cite anything right now, but didn't Emma take breaks from Uni almost from the start - a time when she definitely still said that education comes first?

Besides, do you want me to believe that as long as Emma says one thing, she does and thinks exactly this, and as soon as her statements change, everything else changes accordingly? That sounds highly unrealistic, not only for Emma, but any human being.

Do you only study at university? Cant you pick your books or notebook or computer and study where you want?just a question.

i dont know the rest but i dont study at nigth, i study during the day. At night i can go out if i want.

She had been filming harry potter 10/12 per year ten years and she always studied at the same time. Idk why people think she doesnt. Besides what it would be happend if she doesnt finish this year? It isnt so easy finish university year by year

Of course, in theory you can study whereeve and whenever you want. But: there are books you cannot take with you out of the library. Many things are filed on Computers, only accessable at the university itself. There are meetings with your professor, you have to attend personally. And lectures. And readings. And don't forget: real sientific work cannot be done during the shooting of a movie or a photoshoot (exept Emma is a godess, what some people here believe, I think). She is studying history. I too, in my spare time. Have you a idea how difficult it is to translate latin inscripts? It is not possible to do this "by the way".

@ Sacred: for answering your question, I sent you a link for a page about her way through university, written by an insider. I cannot post the link here because this would lead to consequences. If somebody wants that link too, please PM me.

I can't cite any interviews right now unfortunately as I haven't bookmarked any. Very unfortunate.

As I said I can't cite anything right now, but didn't Emma take breaks from Uni almost from the start - a time when she definitely still said that education comes first?

Besides, do you want me to believe that as long as Emma says one thing, she does and thinks exactly this, and as soon as her statements change, everything else changes accordingly? That sounds highly unrealistic, not only for Emma, but any human being.

I don't really care what she said in the past. If you want a reflection of who she is right now, read what she has said recently. 

Statements are independent of people. When people change, their statements change. Not the other way around.

She doesn't make statements and then live her life according to those statements. Those statements are a reflection of who she is at that moment.

Of course, in theory you can study whereeve and whenever you want. But: there are books you cannot take with you out of the library. Many things are filed on Computers, only accessable at the university itself. There are meetings with your professor, you have to attend personally. And lectures. And readings. And don't forget: real sientific work cannot be done during the shooting of a movie or a photoshoot (exept Emma is a godess, what some people here believe, I think). She is studying history. I too, in my spare time. Have you a idea how difficult it is to translate latin inscripts? It is not possible to do this "by the way".

She's not studying anything scientific. Literature and History don't require lab work.

The only things that determine grades are papers and tests. Everything else is superfluous.

The amount of time you need to actually be on campus is a lot less than you think. Trust me.

Also, there are a significant amount of college courses that are taught completely online, and don't require any physical presence on campus. 

I don't really care what she said in the past. If you want a reflection of who she is right now, read what she has said recently. 

Statements are independent of people. When people change, their statements change. Not the other way around.

She doesn't make statements and then live her life according to those statements. Those statements are a reflection of who she is at that moment.

So if we believe you, we can expect Emma from now on to make statements like "Fame is great! You should seek it! Education is for people who are broke!" and "fly around the world as much as you can!". Ok. We'll see about that.

I'm getting tired. People who constantly putting her on a pedestal like the monument of a goddess, making me tired.

Emma can proofe, that I am wrong. If she will produce her degree by the end of this term, I will congratulate her and offer my appologies.

But I think, this will not be nessessary.

So if we believe you, we can expect Emma from now on to make statements like "Fame is great! You should seek it! Education is for people who are broke!" and "fly around the world as much as you can!". Ok. We'll see about that.

Do you seriously think that is what she is feeling right now? 

So you think that, deep down, she's really an attention-whore that thinks learning is for poor people?

Is this how you view all celebrities or just Emma?

So you think that, deep down, she's really an attention-whore that thinks learning is for poor people?

Currently she does nothing to convince us otherwise. Or do you think that she will go to Cannes for studies? She will be there to be in the spotlight. Beautiful. Breathtaking pretty. In wonderful dresses.

But without degree.

Do you seriously think that is what she is feeling right now? 

Is this how you view all celebrities or just Emma?

What I believe is that you can judge people by their actions (isn't that what you also said in this thread?), and Emma's actions are conflicting right now.

And no, I don't think all she wants is attention. I wouldn't be a fan then. But she certainly has her negative sides as well, and the whole education thing has become a bit problematic (note I say has become - I'm quite assured that when she was younger, her statements and her actions in this regard were indeed one and the same).

YOU were the one who is of the opinion that when Emma talks about the importance of education, she's only referring to the past - so we'll have to guess what the future brings. I personally think she will continue to say how important education is.

I'm getting tired. People who constantly putting her on a pedestal like the monument of a goddess, making me tired.

Emma can proofe, that I am wrong. If she will produce her degree by the end of this term, I will congratulate her and offer my appologies.

But I think, this will not be nessessary.

You go on and on like Emma is going to an award show or premiere or other event every week. And countless parties. And vacations. You're so blinded by what you want to see that you don't realize she hasn't done all that much. Many weeks have passed with no sign of Emma, except maybe some paparazzi pics. You have no idea what she is doing in all that time we don't see anything of her.

To answer your questions here and elsewhere about university classes, very few lectures have mandatory attendance, except for exams. I doubt there is any science in her curriculum, so no lab classes. If she needs to read some book, she can probably buy it, rather than sit in a library for hours and have people snapping her picture.

THANK YOU DOOKS!!

Here in the states we have something called online classes...my friends and I take them while we teach after school. Nowadays you dont have to show up to a classroom. It's called cyberclasses.

I am going to be respectful...we do not place Emma on a pedestal...she is only human. It is NONE of our business what she does with her life. NO ONE on here has ANY business in HER BUSINESS. We are NOT friends of her nor are even close acquaintances. We are her FANS-Emma has NO one to report to on here. As for questioning her getting a degree?  Please just freakin leave her alone-Who CARES if she gets her degree or not-she has MILLIONS. She is doing this because she WANTS to do it. But again some people cant see that she is a young woman who can make her OWN independent choices and thus have to constantly criticize her. Anyway I have said my comments and will leave it here.

Again back on topic...I have been looking to see if Bling Ring will be playing in my indie theaters...does anyone know when we will see the showings?

Thank you very much Dooks!...I have been looking it on my indie theater site but nothing yet.

Bling Ring got a little blurb item in the Entertainment Weekly Summer Movie Guide issue, so it's on the radar.

Thats awesome!! :) Thanks for the info!!