The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

You don't bite the hands that feed you.

Really? I was told here several times over the last months that there is no need to work with the media, no need do cooperate with photographers, because these people are only anoying and disdurbing and doing nothing to her career...... You made my day.

Then, I suggest, she should not make tweets with messages, giving a wrong picture. Beeing humble in theorie, but not in practice is .... stupid, maybe.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll qualify that. You don't diss the media that is supportive, or at least treats you fairly. I don't care for Horowitz personally, but he has been supportive of Emma, her career, and the movies she is in.

I only count paparazzi and tabloids as media in the broadest sense of the term. They deserve all the snubs and bites they get.

I hate to intrude but this is a public forum...so....what does it matter when Emma gets her degree. I mean for example James Franco has been going to college since 2006. There is no set time limit. She may even decide to go back for another one after this one. I hope she does go to Cannes. Acting is her career even if she does have a passion for learning. She decided after doing "Bling Ring" that acting is what she wants and I think that is wonderful. I can't see her passing up going to Cannes for "The Bling Ring" only because it would bring her up short of getting her degree sooner??? What sense would that make? When she can get her degree any time in the future or as many degrees as she wants. To be as succesful as she is you can't limit yourself to boundaries. In other words she shouldn't limit herself just to prove to her fans that she is a "super intelligent being" by getting her degree sooner rather than later. If you know Emma, as a fan, then you already know she is intelligent and you shouldn't need a degree from Brown to tell you this. A degree is just a piece of paper to prove to others what one already knows of themselves. For example my husband has an I.Q. of over 180 but he only has a G.E.D. He is well known in the gaming world for doing Mods but he doesn't get paid for it. The boundaries of society do not pertain to him or interest him...money (no)....a college degree (no)...is he happy and satisfied with his accomplishments and life in general (yes) and that is all that matters. In other words this is Emma's life and she has nothing to prove to us as her fans of her worth. I adore her for her talent, which, were given to her IMO from god and that's that. I hope she continues to share these talents as an "Artist" to those of us who are her true fans and need nothing else. I don't need a video Christmas shout out from her to know she appreciates me. She doesn't and never will know who the F**K, I am and that's how it should be. I'm one in 8 million and Emma is Emma and I'm glad she has decided to share what she has. It is enough but I hope for more in the future. I hope the same from J.K. Rowling and Stephanie Meyer and Of Monsters and Men...These are artisists who have decided to share their talents with us and we only have to sit back and enjoy so who are you or anyone else to say it isn't enough. Shame on you for calling yourself a fan if it isn't enough.  Good day.

Edited by tabitoo

Except no one ever said "Emma must get a degree ASAP to satisfy me and prove that she has any intelligence".

No, you and Jonny are saying "Emma must get a degree ASAP to satisfy me and prove that she isn't a hypocrite and still thinks education is important."

No, you and Jonny are saying "Emma must get a degree ASAP to satisfy me and prove that she isn't a hypocrite and still thinks education is important."

Sorry, dook, but this is not the case. The discussion started at a certain point, when I read a quote from Emma from November/December 2012, telling the world, that "she will return to Brown in January 2013 to finish her degree in spring term". I was wondering, how she can achieve this, because since January she is again and again away from New York for weeks, following work comitments. So she traveled alone three times to Los Angeles, had a holiday with Will and is now in May again away at Cannes to promote "Bling Ring". I was wondering, how it is possible to finish a degree in two subjects without beeing enough present at University, given the high standards of the US-education at Universities. Reading literature, writing essays ecc. cannot be done between flights, award-ceremonies ecc. I also asked, if her professors did not want to see her in class. So, for me, it looks like very impossible to finish her degree in this spring term "a normal way" (given the fact, that I do not blame Emma to get a degree on the basis of "donations".)

From this discussion we came to the next topic: how much can we believe Emma's statements, she is making about personal points of view. You know very well, that she always put education in the front row. But now it seems that she struggles to fullfill this "target", because she is more interested in work as in studying. (What I personally understand).

There is no need "to satisfy me" with a degree. For me she needs no degree at all, because she is a beautiful model and actress, not a historian. All I want to discuss is the plausibility of her statements, her actual actions against her statements and - following that - the way she makes her own PR. Becoming implausible can be difficult.

If I would be her PR-advicer, I would have said to her in autum 2012 to say NOTHING about Brown or degree or education and to wait with that until she has finished with honours. Her way through University is already a very privileged one and there is no need to make inplausible statements to push again something, no longer Nr. 1 on the list of her priorities.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

So let's say, hypothetically, that she does graduate after this semester.

Are you going to suggest that she accomplished this because of these "donations" you claim she is giving?

No, I said I will never blame her to get a degree on the basis of "donations".

If she graduates after this term I will apologize to her. The only thing i would do is to try to get a copy of her thesis, but I do not know if they are publicly available. In Austria each thesis of a student is available at the National Library. But maybe my University can help me with that for "sientific reasons".

I don't think undergrads do a thesis.

Well, maybe you know more about the system. Which academic title would she get after finishing?

In Austria you have to do a thesis for the "first grade" (normally called "Magister of arts, Magister of History.....). And you have to do a second thesis if you want to get the academic title of a "Doctor". We have now Bachelor-studies here too, but even this studies have to be finished with a thesis.

Crazy.... checked the difference now. In Austria she would achive nothing with these three years of studying....... "undergraduate" is just studying without beeing entiteld to a academic title...... but, as you said, without any thesis and complex sientific work.

Actually, it would be easier to just say "I've discovered a great many things worth doing besides studying". That's closer to my point.

Actually, it would be easier to just say "I've discovered a great many things worth doing besides studying". That's closer to my point.

Like all those movies she's doing? 

Don't you think people would figure out she's not just studying 24/7?

If people can't realize that, why is it Emma's responsibility to point out what is already so obvious?

So, in other words, you want to discuss whether Emma is a liar, a hypocrite, saying one thing and doing another.

Please mind, that YOU use the words "liar", "hypocrite". I say, that she is badly adviced and that the many changes in her life making it impossible for her to do, what she acutally said. I do not know how you, dook, call a person in your world, saying one thing and doing another......

Please mind, that YOU use the words "liar", "hypocrite". I say, that she is badly adviced and that the many changes in her life making it impossible for her to do, what she acutally said. I do not know how you, dook, call a person in your world, saying one thing and doing another......

Saying one thing and doing another is the definition of a hypocrite. Nobody is putting words in your mouth.

The problem is that you keep saying that Emma is always talking about how school is the most important thing in her life, but every time I ask you to prove that she is saying that, you can't.

Don't you think people would figure out she's not just studying 24/7?

Yes, we figured that out. That's why we're talking about it. It's only Ems that doesn't talk about it.

Also, I don't think all of her fans, especially her younger ones, follow all her "extra-curricular" activities.

Yes, we figured that out. That's why we're talking about it. It's only Ems that doesn't talk about it.

Also, I don't think all of her fans, especially her younger ones, follow all her "extra-curricular" activities.

Do they watch the movies she's in?

If they do, I think it's safe to say that they managed to figured out she's not always at school, don't you think?

I will stay to my words. Emma did over the last years everything to give the imagination, that a degree from a University is the most important thing for her. Each "break" in her studies (for Lancome, for Perks, for Bling Ring) was widly discussed and it was always said that she will return to finish her studies.

A normal discussion about Emma and her way to berecognised by the public is nearly impossible here, because you and other are constantly defending her actions, even if they are contrary to her statements. I do not call her a "hipocrite", I call her badly adviced and managed. Saying "I go back to Brown to finish my degree!" and then actually not doing it (and let the management tell a journalist not to mention her studies at all in 1/2013) is, well, what? Spleen of a rich girl? Or what?