The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

I am eager and excited to see this because of Emma's performance, but honestly, I am just also looking forward to the whole movie itself. This just looks like it will be a huge indie hit! :)

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealing Beauty: Behind The Scenes Makeup Secrets From The Bling Ring’s Roz Music

How did you get involved with The Bling Ring?

Sofia and I are old friends, I had heard she was doing this movie, and I hoped—and suspected—she would ask me to do the makeup. Especially since it was shot in my hometown [Los Angeles].

How much of the makeup look was inspired by the actual teenagers who the film is based on? 

Very little. There are a million kids out here in L.A. that look like the main characters. It’s a very particular style. I just took my camera out and Instagrammed for days, taking pictures of kids in their natural environment. I didn’t want Teen Vogue‘s version of how their closet would look. I wanted to see real kids doing their own thing. So I took a million pictures and that was my research.

So how, exactly, would you describe that rich-kid-L.A. look? 

It’s like kids who are trying to look older than they are. They’re sixteen, but with the hairstyles and shoes of a 30-year-old. They’ve got short shorts and high, high heels. Some of the stuff was outrageous. I mean, they’re indulgent, bratty teenagers.

Considering her previous reputation as a do-gooding wizard, how did you go about turning Emma Watson into an “indulgent, bratty teenagerâ€? 
Well, we gave her a tramp-stamp tattoo! Emma’s character is one of those spiritual people who wants to express it on the outside—as in, she does yoga and talks about it all the time. She’s an eye-roll-y character. We wanted the tattoo to be an expression of that, so we went with a lotus flower.

What else was key to her transformation? 

We had to lengthen her hair—she used extensions, and hours went into that hair every day. Then we focused on her lashes, since that’s the trick to making her look well made-up without having to invest a lot of time. I used L’Oréal Voluminous Million Lashes mascara for everyone on set; all of the actresses had their own tube with their name on it. Emma’s skin is flawless, so I just used primer, instead of foundation, to moisturize her skin and get her camera-ready.

Seriously? No foundation? And her skin clarity still resonated on camera? How did you manage that?

I used Skyn Iceland Glacial Cleansing Cloths on her in the morning and to take her makeup off. They’re great because if someone comes in late for work, you can just clean the face without any water. She uses Jurlique Calendula Cream every morning. I put a little box with her makeup basics by her chair to use when she was getting her hair done. She would actually do prep work on herself, like curling her lashes and putting on her mascara. Even that ten minutes of work would save us time.

How did you prep the rest of the cast?

Katie [Chang] has the best skin I’ve seen in my life. It’s absolutely pore-less. But we had to tan everyone, since all the actresses were pretty pale. We made them spray-tan appointments with Fiona Locke from St. Tropez every week.

In one scene, Emma’s character is tempted by some lip gloss, right?

Yes, she’s applying Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Mirth while robbing one of the houses. We had so many hot-pink lipsticks on set. Emma later wears a Make Up For Ever Lab Shine Lip Gloss in Chrome Candy that is insane. It’s a really metallic pink gloss, and she wears it in the interview scene at the end of the film.

How much did Sofia weigh in on the makeup decisions?

She had some specific things in mind at times. For example, she was in love with this particular Chanel lipstick called Kensington that was discontinued. It was the hottest pink, the most obvious Barbie bubblegum pink, and it was absolutely gorgeous. Sofia called her friend in France and tracked down the last remaining tubes for us. That’s the color that Katie puts on at Paris’ house.

What was it like working with such a young cast?

It’s kinda heaven because their skin is so tight and beautiful, and they’re not worried about wrinkles or the texture of their skin. But they’re teenagers, so they can be distracted easily, and there was a lot of horsing around in the trailer. It was like Dance Party USA in there sometimes, when they would be playing rap music, while we were following them around trying to glue on an eyelash or apply eye glitter. But we never shut it down. We had a lot of fun.

http://www.style.com/beauty/beautycounter/2013/05/stealing-beauty-behind-the-scenes-makeup-secrets-from-the-bling-rings-roz-music/

Normally I could care less about reviews but it was awesome seeing that 90% of those comments gave Emma props :)

Just from what I have seen in the trailer, this looks GOOOOOOD, especially Emma as spoiled brat Nicki!! ;)

Few more weeks to go!!!!!!! :);)

Thanks for posting!!

Personally I am happy she doesnt because some people on here can be very cruel and judgmental of her. Which is ironic seeing as this is an Emma Watson fan site.

Bling Ring opens in 13 days!!!!!!!! ;)

Personally I am happy she doesnt because some people on here can be very cruel and judgmental of her. Which is ironic seeing as this is an Emma Watson fan site.

"Cruel judgement", as you call it, is in 95% only the result of missing information. I wrote about that on the "Rookie"-thread.

So I got to watch Emma's Hollywood reporter video and all I have to say is this is why I love Emma and am a fan of hers. She couldnt have described Nicki better in it. I was laughing throughout her assessment of Nicki. Go Emma! :)

I'm very excited for this movie since seeing the trailers and stuff. I love Emma's stuck up valley girl accent. I'm just sad that I won't know when I will have a chance to see it since I'm moving to the UK on the 22nd/23rd, and then I'm in Holland and then I'm back in the UK to job hunt and by the time I get to catch up on films it will probably be September. :(

Oh yes, I will definitely TRY. ;) I just will be busy trying to find a job/place to live, and I'm staying with a friend, so I'm not sure how much spare time I'll have at first!

Oh yes, I will definitely TRY. ;) I just will be busy trying to find a job/place to live, and I'm staying with a friend, so I'm not sure how much spare time I'll have at first!

Good luck Ling!!!

if someone upload it, you can watch it on internet

Agree with Adebisi-you can do this :)

Yes that was the scene...;) Well hopefully my indie theater will play it like they did Perks...otherwise I will have to wait for my blu ray which I really dont want to have to do!

Scenes like the one above make me wonder if Emma is the right fit for this kind of role (talking about the water boy scene). It seems like

1) she isn't used to attracting male attention by having her assets hang out

or 2) Emma's (probably Sofia's) vision of Nicki isn't someone who's exactly promiscuous but rather manipulative

I think I read something to the effect of 1 but I think 2 is probably true as well. Either way it didn't seem organic. We won't know until she plays an all-out slutty character :P

Edited by Sacred_Path

:D  I think, the situation in the last 10 seconds of the clip must be very familiar to Emma. i think, her mother would react exact the same way......

But, Sacred, with point one you hit the spot again; she cannot sell attracting a male. Not in a movie and not in real life.