The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

I'm kind of bummed out about people telling me not to be sarcastic. For the most part there's nothing sarcastic about this thread, it's about Emma's education. :rolleyes:

Yet the topic of this title is "Emma Watson to star in Bling Ring", and it's posted in the Emma Movie Roles section. Either you guys are posting in the wrong topic, or you are just simply derailing yet another thread with this same old crap.

Let's get back on topic please.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to be critical and ask questions, then actually ask the questions.

Don't mask it with sarcasm, and then say that it's all in good fun when people get upset.

The questions that you want to ask aren't really the issue here, it's the way you're going about it.

Nobody is trying to stifle the conversation, we're just trying to keep things civil.

I tried to contact an admin to divide the thread, because we went off topic with education, but was ignored, as it seems. Maybe a more honorable member of the forum is luckier in this......

If you want to be critical and ask questions, then actually ask the questions.

I am asking my questions for nearly a year now, but I get no satisfying answer, because the only person who could answer these questions is not willing to interact with the fans. So everything ends in speculations and verbal fights between the "Askers" and the "Guardians of the Graal".

I am asking my questions for nearly a year now, but I get no satisfying answer, because the only person who could answer these questions is not willing to interact with the fans. So everything ends in speculations and verbal fights between the "Askers" and the "Guardians of the Graal".

Instead of asking the same questions that you know have no answer, you could try coming up with new questions.

I know you're frustrated that you're questions are not being addressed, but making snide remarks about it won't change anything.

All it does is derail discussions that have the potential to actually be constructive.

If you can bring new thoughts and ideas to the table, people will respond positively. I promise.

Yet the topic of this title is "Emma Watson to star in Bling Ring", and it's posted in the Emma Movie Roles section. Either you guys are posting in the wrong topic, or you are just simply derailing yet another thread with this same old crap.

Let's get back on topic please.

There's no derailing if there's nothing to discuss. Choose to post what you think is relevant, and ignore what you think is not. It's easy.

If you can bring new thoughts and ideas to the table, people will respond positively. I promise.

Uhm, no. The points that were brought up by me and Jonny in this topic have not been discussed in other threads, yet the response was outrage and denial. I could print out the last few pages and call it "how to unquestioningly defend Emma's honor with strawman arguments", by Roberto.

Instead of asking the same questions that you know have no answer, you could try coming up with new questions.

But I have no other questions and I am not interested in inventing new one just to do so.  But for the sake of peace I will not repeat my questions now.

Uhm, no. The points that were brought up by me and Jonny in this topic have not been discussed in other threads, yet the response was outrage and denial. I could print out the last few pages and call it "how to unquestioningly defend Emma's honor with strawman arguments", by Roberto.

They responded that way because of how you framed you're questions, not the questions themselves.

As for the discussion we just had, I did not react with outrage or denial to any of your points. I was simply trying to find the evidence behind the claims you were making.

They responded that way because of how you framed you're questions, not the questions themselves.

Well, if you've gone really over the top at one point with your statements (and she really did that when she was younger, she brought up studying quite often), and you no longer feel the same way, the obvious thing would be to say that loud and clear. If you used to campaign for the political far right, but became a liberal later on, you'd certainly explain that transition. You wouldn't just say that you don't want to comment on politics.

So what I'd expect from Emma is to say clearly that education isn't her all anymore. Instead, as with the MTV awards, she keeps coming back to urge people to be studious; this just doesn't make sense.

Point out the sarcasm or malice in the post above.

As for the discussion we just had, I did not react with outrage or denial to any of your points. I was simply trying to find the evidence behind the claims you were making.

You weren't asking for evidence, you were asking for Emma quotes, as if they alone had the magical quality to prove i.e. her current stance on education. Edited by Sacred_Path

Well, if you've gone really over the top at one point with your statements (and she really did that when she was younger, she brought up studying quite often), and you no longer feel the same way, the obvious thing would be to say that loud and clear. If you used to campaign for the political far right, but became a liberal later on, you'd certainly explain that transition. You wouldn't just say that you don't want to comment on politics.

So what I'd expect from Emma is to say clearly that education isn't her all anymore. Instead, as with the MTV awards, she keeps coming back to urge people to be studious; this just doesn't make sense

This isn't malicious, and I don't think anybody was outraged by this specific comment.

What people have a problem with is the fact that you're taking you're own theories about what Emma is feeling right now, and saying that they are fact.

You can think that Emma doesn't take education seriously. That is totally fine.

But the problem begins when you use that theory to claim hypocrisy. You're substituting your opinion with the facts and then you get frustrated when that isn't validated.

You weren't asking for evidence, you were asking for Emma quotes, as if they alone had the magical quality to prove i.e. her current stance on education

So if she said "Education is still very important to me", she'd be lying, but if she said "Education isn't my all anymore", she'd be telling the truth?

Anything that validates you're theory is a confession, but anything that contradicts it is a lie?

No, the question was how she could manage to finish her studies when travelling around the whole time. You cannot tell me, that you can get a degree from a University by reading sientific books on planes or during award-ceremonies and writing your essays during holidays with the boyfriend.

This isn't malicious, and I don't think anybody was outraged by this specific comment.

What people have a problem with is the fact that you're taking you're own theories about what Emma is feeling right now, and saying that they are fact.

Emma took quite a few breaks from her studies. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. It's also fact that Emma used to mention education being a top priority (just remember the one speech, may have been at BAFTA, where she explained Dan's absence by saying he got his priorities right). Speculating about her reasons for this is subjective, but that doesn't mean I'm fabricating things.

But the problem begins when you use that theory to claim hypocrisy. You're substituting your opinion with the facts and then you get frustrated when that isn't validated.

I think we can agree that when you say one thing, but do another, that's hypocritical. This may not be 100% the case here because she actually did do something for Uni (I assume), but the gap between her statements and her actions is there.

So if she said "Education is still very important to me", she'd be lying, but if she said "Education isn't my all anymore", she'd be telling the truth?

"top priority" isn't equivalent to "very important", so no, that's not what I mean. Edited by Sacred_Path

5 pages in a wrong topic about Emmas education and the only reason fot that is:  :sob:  :sob: but but she said before that :sob:  :sob: the most important for her :sob:  :sob:  :sob: and now she.   And now Emma is curently at university LOL when they dont know waht to she the only thing they have is: but she say before bla bla bla bla bla over and over

5 pages in a wrong topic about Emmas education and the only reason fot that is:  :sob:  :sob: but but she said before that :sob:  :sob: the most important for her :sob:  :sob:  :sob: and now she.   And now Emma is curently at university LOL when they dont know waht to she the only thing they have is: but she say before bla bla bla bla bla over and over

Feel free to leave the thread and do not participate in the conversation. Nobody says that you have to contribute something. And nearly 10 mistakes in 2 lines are....... well. :doh:

No, the question was how she could manage to finish her studies when travelling around the whole time. You cannot tell me, that you can get a degree from a University by reading sientific books on planes or during award-ceremonies and writing your essays during holidays with the boyfriend.

That isn't an answerable question. You just don't think that it's possible. 

Either you can do it, or you can't.

If you just keep asking "How is she able to pass her classes when she's flying everywhere???" over and over again, don't expect anyone to try to calculate the probability of that.

It's kind of like asking "How is the president running the country when he's always on vacation???" 

It doesn't contribute anything to the conversation. You're just asking a hypothetical question to nobody in particular.

All it does is let everybody know that you have doubts about their competence.

Emma took quite a few breaks from her studies. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. It's also fact that Emma used to mention education being a top priority (just remember the one speech, may have been at BAFTA, where she explained Dan's absence by saying he got his priorities right). Speculating about her reasons for this is subjective, but that doesn't mean I'm fabricating things.

No, you aren't fabricating anything. You can speculate all you want. You can even base your speculations upon known facts. 

But when you take your subjective opinions about something and criticize Emma for not validating that opinion, you're treating it like it's fact, even though you know it isn't.

"top priority" isn't equivalent to "very important", so no, that's not what I mean.

Then what do you mean?

Do you trust the things Emma says or not?

Or do you only trust certain statements and not others?

But when you take your subjective opinions about something and criticize Emma for not validating that opinion, you're treating it like it's fact, even though you know it isn't.

Emma doesn't need to validate my "opinion" that she's been acting contradictory, it's self-evident. What I was wondering about is her still reminding people that she was very much the nerd, if she wants to get away from that image.

Then what do you mean?

Do you trust the things Emma says or not?

Or do you only trust certain statements and not others?

If we accept that Emma wasn't referring to the present with her MTV quote (and I still don't think that that's the correct interpretation), we don't have any statements from Emma about her current stance on education. What I trust in is the factual situation of Emma dividing her time between several pursuits.

Emma doesn't need to validate my "opinion" that she's been acting contradictory, it's self-evident. What I was wondering about is her still reminding people that she was very much the nerd, if she wants to get away from that image.

Okay, I think I understand now.

At the beginning of her college career, Emma was living in the dorms and focused only on school. 

Now that she's moved to New York, started projects and done other things while also attending school, her priorities have clearly changed.

What you have a problem with is the fact that her public image is still of the Emma who lived in the dorms and focused only on school, right?

And you want everyone to realize that her priorities are that of a movie star and a model, as well as a student, right?

So you want Emma to let everyone know that now that she's making more movies and getting involved in more projects, her priorities aren't the same as when she was just living in the dorms, right?

The thing is though, her public image isn't her responsibility.

When she talks about herself, she isn't secretly trying to make people view her in a certain light.

She's just speaking from the heart about who she was in the past and who she is now, without any kind of agenda.

"That’s just something I’ve come to realise. That there’s a public persona... And I have to accept that I can’t control that persona, because it’s created by other people."

What you have a problem with is the fact that her public image is still of the Emma who lived in the dorms and focused only on school, right?

And you want everyone to realize that her priorities are that of a movie star and a model, as well as a student, right?

So you want Emma to let everyone know that now that she's making more movies and getting involved in more projects, her priorities aren't the same as when she was just living in the dorms, right?

The thing is though, her public image isn't her responsibility.

She has always been interested in controlling her public image, though. One quote from the top of my head, you can have your first cigarette or your first glass of wine with friends at home or in public.

The very fact that she tries to protect her privacy is testament to the fact that she does care about her image. Also, when she says things like she did at the MTV awards, it's obvious she still can't let go of her old image. If you are right and she was only talking about the past there, I'd be interested in hearing about the things that are going on right now in her life. Because, responsibility aside, I've heard it's liberating to simply say what's on your mind.  

Edited by Sacred_Path

By having a very guarded private life, she is able to control her public image to a certain extent.

But controlling your public image and changing your public image are two very different things.

You expect her to try to change her public image by telling everyone how her priorities have changed, but a celebrity can't just suddenly change how people perceive them.

Emma understands this, and that's why she does not go out of her way to tell the public what is on her mind.

If she wants to get something off her chest, she has friends and family that she can talk to.

I know you're interested in hearing about what she's thinking, but her deciding to keep that information from you is not her fault.

, but her deciding to keep that information from you is not her fault.

I disagree; the decision to kill her own homepage was not made by somebody from the street; it was her decision. It was her desicion to go out of Facebook and feed her fans there only with old quotes. It is her decision not to talk to her fans and the stylw of her whole PR-work is also her decision alone. We, the fans are more or less interested in hearing things from her work and sometimes maby a little bit of private news (what she considers suitable for all) but she decided to say nearly nothing at all - and is complaining on the other hand about the fictual tabloids, produced by the press.

EDIT: thank you dook for the removal. Very kind!

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Yep. Emma is human being. She gets to be as private or as public as she wants. 

She doesn't have a responsibility to share anything private with anyone.

It doesn't matter how badly you want to know what's going on in her private life. It's none of your business.

If you aren't happy with how public her private life is, then maybe you should reevaluate why you're a fan of hers in the first place.

You missunderstood me. I have no further intrest in her private life; but years ago she made f.e. little videos at special occasions (Christmas, Birthday) for her fans and was much more open to talk about herself. Read her unpersonal Christmas-message from 2012 and compare it to her video, made 3 years before. Maybe this was the PR-Team of Warner Brothers, but it was nice and she never revealed too much. Now she only wants to be a "private person", but if the media, her fans and the public at all would do so, she would be forgotten soon. And dook could close this page, too. Because with the stuff, "officially" reveraled, you cannot run such a page (no rumours, no pap-.shoots, only "offlicial pics and messages").

If tomorrow, everybody forgot who she was, I don't think she would have any problem with that.

Sorry, but again I have to disagree. Although "stars" are always saying that they need no publicity, loosing or missing publicity is (like the degeneration of their career) a enormous psychological impact. Emma definitly loves it to be in the spotlight. She is in it since she was 10. You cannot switch off such a experience from one minute to another. But I will stop now, because this was discussed earlier and off topic is now completed.

"I think when you take away all, like, the premieres and press stuff and all the special effects, then you just come down to the fact that it's all about acting, and I think that has been the best bit for me."

"I want to be normal. I really want anonymity."

"School was my retreat; the one place I could go where people couldn’t follow me,"

"I never wanted any of the things that a lot of the people who go into this industry want, I never wanted to be famous. My parents never wanted this for me. I never even wanted this until a year ago. I was so overwhelmed by the way that people responded to the idea that this might not be what I want to do"

“I think the line between what being an actor is and what being a celebrity is has gotten so fuzzy that people don’t even know what we do anymore. Models are actresses and actresses are models and actresses are designing sofas, and it’s crazy. I don’t know if it will change, but I’m going to try to do this the right way."