The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

She is only slightly ignoring the fact - if I follow your quotes - , that it is this fame and stardome that allows her to live the life she lives. With a house in London, a Appartment in NY, a Chalet in the French Alps, frequent trips around the world ecc. ecc. My opinion is, as a star you cannot pick only the "tasty" bits and ignore the not so tasty other ones. If she really want's to be "normal", she should get rid of her money and live like you and me. And I bet, in this second she would strongly want not to be "normal" anymore.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia
  • Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said anything about money. She has enough money to last a lifetime.

I said if everyone forgot who Emma Watson was, she would be totally fine with that.

Fame and stardom isn't what allows her to live her life, that's what money is for.

She could choose to be a recluse and enjoy her money if she wanted to. She just chose acting instead.

Edited by Roberto

I never said anything about money. She has enough money to last a lifetime.

I said if everyone forgot who Emma Watson was, she would be totally fine with that.

Fame and money are two different things.

She did a series of films (Harry Potter), earning fame and money for her work. Both things going hand in hand. If she would not have been in the movies, what would have happend? A normal job and a normal life. Only in this case each and everyone would ask "Emma WHO?"

In her position saying "I want to be normal!" is a funny joke. With her decision to be part of HP she gave up this status forever. The only excuse is, that a 10 year old girl could not and her parents maybe could not imagine, what would happen....

You expect her to try to change her public image by telling everyone how her priorities have changed, but a celebrity can't just suddenly change how people perceive them.

I can only speak for myself there, but direct statements from Emma can change my perceptions of her any time. Playing in certain movies, or not playing in them, can change my mind as well.

She did a series of films (Harry Potter), earning fame and money for her work. Both things going hand in hand. If she would not have been in the movies, what would have happend? A normal job and a normal life. Only in this case each and everyone would ask "Emma WHO?"

In her position saying "I want to be normal!" is a funny joke. With her decision to be part of HP she gave up this status forever. The only excuse is, that a 10 year old girl could not and her parents maybe could not imagine, what would happen....

I never said: "If she suddenly wasn't rich and famous, she would be fine with that."

I said: "If she woke up tomorrow, and the world didn't know her name, she would be fine with that."

Do you still disagree with that?

I can only speak for myself there, but direct statements from Emma can change my perceptions of her any time. Playing in certain movies, or not playing in them, can change my mind as well.

Just because she can change you're image of her, it doesn't mean she can change it for the millions of other people who talk about her.

Why do you want her to try to take control of something she could never actually control?

I said: "If she woke up tomorrow, and the world didn't know her name, she would be fine with that."

Do you still disagree with that?

No, if she would give up her money too, I would agree with you. She cannot pick the "tasty" part of beeing unknown and rich and forgetting the "not so tasty" part how she became so rich and famous and that she has a little responsibility to look onto the people, who made her rich and famous.

She can wake up tomorrow unknown, but in a little flat in London with a normal 40 hrs-job, like millions of women of her age.

Why do you want her to try to take control of something she could never actually control?

I repeat myself, because she has done so in the past, she is continuing to do so, and she is quite succesful at it. There's a reason why all newsbits about Perks and Bling Ring made allusions to some "good girl gone bad" stuff, and there was such a buzz when the rumors about 50 Shades came up. The "squeaky clean" image didn't come about despite Emma acting contrary to it, it came about precisely because she made sure to uphold that impression of her in public.

No, if she would give up her money too, I would agree with you. She cannot pick the "tasty" part of beeing unknown and rich and forgetting the "not so tasty" part how she became so rich and famous and that she has a little responsibility to look onto the people, who made her rich and famous.

She can wake up tomorrow unknown, but in a little flat in London with a normal 40 hrs-job, like millions of women of her age.

You were saying that if Emma continues to be a private person, people would eventually forget about her.

As if this would be a bad thing, and that she wouldn't want that.

So I said, she wouldn't see that as a bad thing, since she doesn't like being recognized constantly.

In response to that, you said "Emma likes being in the spotlight".

I then showed you evidence that contradicts this.

So. Knowing what you know now, do you still think that Emma wants to be in the spotlight currently?

I repeat myself, because she has done so in the past, she is continuing to do so, and she is quite succesful at it. There's a reason why all newsbits about Perks and Bling Ring made allusions to some "good girl gone bad" stuff, and there was such a buzz when the rumors about 50 Shades came up. The "squeaky clean" image didn't come about despite Emma acting contrary to it, it came about precisely because she made sure to uphold that impression of her in public.

Let me get this straight. 

You're saying that Emma is purposefully attempting to trick the public into thinking that she has a certain personality, in order to hide that fact that she isn't actually a nice person?

That her squeaky clean image is just a big conspiracy?

You're saying that Emma is purposefully attempting to trick the public into thinking that she has a certain personality, in order to hide that fact that she isn't actually a nice person?

That her squeaky clean image is just a big conspiracy?

lolwut?

What I said was that Emma has reinforced the "squeaky clean" image, the image of being studious, of being "shy and boring" (<- that's a quote). This was succesful in becoming the point of view of the public, so she does have some control over it.

If this is truly who she is, welp, it's so one-dimensional that no human being is only that, I'd say. If you want to call that "tricking" people, that's your personal preference. Emma certainly isn't more or less "guilty" of this than anyone else is.

So. Knowing what you know now, do you still think that Emma wants to be in the spotlight currently?

I would say, yes. Otherwise she would say: "I cannot go to Cannes, because I have to finish my degree". But she is "juhuhu" about the fact, that Cannes will happen. As I said, she will be there on the red carpet, beautiful and pretty. She will be there the star of Bling Ring, although she said "I am the fourth in the cast", a argument more to go not to Cannes and leave the carpet for Brussard and Chang.

lolwut?

What I said was that Emma has reinforced the "squeaky clean" image, the image of being studious, of being "shy and boring" (<- that's a quote). This was succesful in becoming the point of view of the public, so she does have some control over it.

If this is truly who she is, welp, it's so one-dimensional that no human being is only that, I'd say. If you want to call that "tricking" people, that's your personal preference. Emma certainly isn't more or less "guilty" of this than anyone else is.

Either you believe the things she says about herself or you don't.

Is she not really shy and boring, and only saying that to try and control her public image through lies? Or is she just trying to honestly describe how she views herself?

Which do you believe?

I would say, yes. Otherwise she would say: "I cannot go to Cannes, because I have to finish my degree". But she is "juhuhu" about the fact, that Cannes will happen. As I said, she will be there on the red carpet, beautiful and pretty. She will be there the star of Bling Ring, although she said "I am the fourth in the cast", a argument more to go not to Cannes and leave the carpet for Brussard and Chang.

Promoting your movie is part of making a movie.

You don't purposefully try to hurt the marketing of your movie just because you don't like the spotlight.

It would affect everyone who worked on the film, not just herself.

Are you saying that she secretly likes the spotlight but lies about it to make people think she's normal and relatable?

It is not her movie. She tweeted, that PR is wrong, "Bling Ring" is not her movie. She is only a cast-member, Brussard and Chang are the leading characters. So, consequently, she is not promoting "HER" movie. She is going there, because she cannot resist the offer. What leads me to the point, why she tweets on thing and is doing (again) a completly different one.

Either you believe the things she says about herself or you don't.

Is she not really shy and boring, and only saying that to try and control her public image through lies? Or is she just trying to honestly describe how she views herself?

Which do you believe?

If we're talking about the "squeaky clean" image, I'm sure this is partly how Emma really was, and still is. It's just not the whole truth. You're onto a false dichotomy though: that you can either try to control your public image, or be truthful. In reality, it can be both. Everyone is trying to be perceived in a certain light, or IOW, "controlling" their "public image". In the past, Emma has willingly cast herself as the nerd, which certainly was how she saw herself to some extent. Shy and boring. But certainly, a confident person like Emma is also always aware of her strengths.

It is not her movie. She tweeted, that PR is wrong, "Bling Ring" is not her movie. She is only a cast-member, Brussard and Chang are the leading characters. So, consequently, she is not promoting "HER" movie. She is going there, because she cannot resist the offer. What leads me to the point, why she tweets on thing and is doing (again) a completly different one.

She is promoting a movie that she appears in.

If she, one of the most well-known Hollywood actresses today, chose not to promote it, don't you think that would negatively affect the movie's performance?

Actors don't promote movies because they like going on talk shows and having awkward conversations with the host.

They promote movies because it's a part of the contract they signed when they agreed to do the movie.

Most actors hate going out and promoting movies. It's not fun for them. It's work.

Also, Cannes is one of the most prestigious film festivals in the world.

If you're in a movie, and it get's screened at Cannes, your gonna show up.

It is one of the highest honors an actor could get.

If we're talking about the "squeaky clean" image, I'm sure this is partly how Emma really was, and still is. It's just not the whole truth. You're onto a false dichotomy though: that you can either try to control your public image, or be truthful. In reality, it can be both. Everyone is trying to be perceived in a certain light, or IOW, "controlling" their "public image". In the past, Emma has willingly cast herself as the nerd, which certainly was how she saw herself to some extent. Shy and boring. But certainly, a confident person like Emma is also always aware of her strengths.

Only the people closest to her could possibly now how confident Emma truly is. 

For all you know, she could have low self-esteem and constantly doubt her self-worth. Her true feelings are mystery. 

Why are you so sure that her description of herself isn't true?

That could be exactly how she sees herself.

How are you so sure that you know what her real personality is?

Edited by Roberto

Only the people closest to her could possibly now how confident Emma truly is. 

For all you know, she could have low self-esteem and constantly doubt her self-worth. Her true feelings are mystery.

Why are you so sure that her description of herself isn't true?

That could be exactly how she sees herself.

How are you so sure that you know what her real personality is?

Have you ever seen a recording of Emma at a big event? She's all dressed up, strides through a throng of people up the stage, and gives a speech in a completely unabashed tone. There's no way in hell a person like that should be considered only "shy". I think she may be more shy in her private life, when people jump out at her to have a pic taken, because she can't prepare for that. That's the perfectionist in her. But there are definitely two sides to her and one isn't shy at all. Same goes for "boring". She's intelligent, eloquent, I see no reason to assume that she's really boring to talk to (remember that one thing she said a man must have is the ability to hold a conversation). It might be how she sees herself when she has a bad day, but it's not the whole truth.

There's a difference between Professional Emma and Private Emma. 

You may think you know Professional Emma, but when it comes to Private Emma, you will never know the whole truth.

I see no reason why a sup-sup-sup-supporting actress must go to Cannes. She goes there because she wants to.

If you were a serious actor, and a movie you were in got screened by Cannes for the first time in your career, you wouldn't miss that for the world. I promise you.

If you were a serious actor, and a movie you were in got screened by Cannes for the first time in your career, you wouldn't miss that for the world. I promise you.

I bet with you, that she and Sophie Coppola will be the only two, representing the movie in the spotlight. It will be the same thing like at the MTV-awards. Emma in the spotlight, all the other cast-members sitting around, not recognised, not asked, not needed.

How is that Emma's fault? She doesn't run Cannes.

She can simply say no. "Sorry, in 2013 it is impossible for me to come to Cannes. I have to finish my degree at Brown and there are two very good actors, Brussard and Chang. They will represent our movie very good. Good luck and thank you!"

That would just make the spotlight on Sofia alone. It would solve nothing, and would make her miss out on one of the biggest events in her acting career.

Broussard and Chang aren't famous. They won't suddenly become famous just because Emma isn't there. They will continue to be ignored by the press.

This is not Emma's fault and she has no control over it.

I bet with you, that she and Sophie Coppola will be the only two, representing the movie in the spotlight. It will be the same thing like at the MTV-awards. Emma in the spotlight, all the other cast-members sitting around, not recognised, not asked, not needed.

You're assuming that Emma is the one who chooses where to sit. I'm sure it was Horowitz who put Emma first chair. Emma didn't run the Q&A, Horowitz is the one asking the questions. She tries to deflect attention to other stars, now, and in the past. It's not her fault the media focuses on her. Actually I think all the cast did a good job at the Q&A, some better than others. None were ignored.

Should Emma say "No, if you're going to focus attention on me, I won't come."? That would only hurt the movie, and her reputation.

That would just make the spotlight on Sofia alone. It would solve nothing, and would make her miss out on one of the biggest events in her acting career.

Broussard and Chang aren't famous. They won't suddenly become famous just because Emma isn't there. They will continue to be ignored by the press.

This is not Emma's fault and she has no control over it.

This is exactly the thing, we are questioning here for quite a while now. First Emma is totally cute and humble, saying:

"I don't really 'star' in the Bling Ring. I am probably 3rd/4th of the lead characters. (In case media/marketing is a bit misleading.) The awesome Israel Broussard and Katie Chang take the helm."

Consequently she should do now everything to give the two young and "unknown" actors a stage at Cannes. Again she is saying one thing and doing something totally different.

You're assuming that Emma is the one who chooses where to sit. I'm sure it was Horowitz who put Emma first chair. Emma didn't run the Q&A, Horowitz is the one asking the questions. She tries to deflect attention to other stars, now, and in the past. It's not her fault the media focuses on her. Actually I think all the cast did a good job at the Q&A, some better than others. None were ignored.

Should Emma say "No, if you're going to focus attention on me, I won't come."? That would only hurt the movie, and her reputation.

She could of course step back into second row. She could do it with her natural charm and her humble quote from twitter. It is only a question if you want to step back........

This is exactly the thing, we are questioning here for quite a while now. First Emma is totally cute and humble, saying:

"I don't really 'star' in the Bling Ring. I am probably 3rd/4th of the lead characters. (In case media/marketing is a bit misleading.) The awesome Israel Broussard and Katie Chang take the helm."

Consequently she should do now everything to give the two young and "unknown" actors a stage at Cannes. Again she is saying one thing and doing something totally different.

No actor can forcibly make others more famous.

Unknown actors don't suddenly become famous because an A-list actor promoted them. That's not how fame works.

No, she isn't. She said she is not the lead. She doesn't control the media. To ignore or snub them would only hurt the movie. It won't help the careers of the others.

She could of course step back into second row. She could do it with her natural charm and her humble quote from twitter. It is only a question if you want to step back........

And you think Horowitz would appreciate that? Unfortunately actors depend on the media. You don't bite the hands that feed you.