The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in "Bling Ring"

I mean Alex was old enough to know that this was wrong

If you never learn what is "right" or "wrong" als a little child you will have problems to find that out as an teenager or adult........

But I think parents of troubled kids need to take a look at themselves too.

That's what I meant.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrong and right are so unspecific.

I would say the rules of Mankind, because thats what they really are, aren´t they?

Rules we lay to our society to make it work. So i would say she hasn´t learned these rules good enough, and here parents are for some part of it to blame but also here friends and teachers. All people she had nearer contact with as child.

Then say me. What right is right?

We are multiculti. Right can be the christ, Islam or Judaism right. Who is often the same but not always. Also we have the business "religion" who has its own rules.

And i don´t want to speak about the morals we had times ago. So what of this is right and who diced´s what right is?

In my opinion everybody has his own moral, who should find a response in the big "society Moral" who includes all morals from all religions and others.

And to Bling Ring. Why does the Rolename is Nikki and not Alexis? i must have missed the part.

In movies, you cant use the person's real name when based on a true story. Hope that helps :)

you are absolutety right. i was wondering that name-change too, and i can't believe i had forgotten this rule. :doh:

In movies, you cant use the person's real name when based on a true story. Hope that helps :)

Of course you can. But it is a difficult process and the person in question has to agree to the script. I do NOT think that Ms. Neiers is happy, how she is portraited in Bling Ring......

ok, yet i understand. I thought it was depending in a true story. But Alexis has not agreed to the script i think, is the solution. Thanks

I think it would cost a fortune to get the ok from the original "cast". Not a good idea, spending a lot of money for such people.....

I do hope this movie will come to Holland as well. I saw the trailer and despite the fact I loved the way Emma looked, I can't say I'm sure I'd like this movie. So I'm really curious what it will be like!

I think it will come in most countries but not at the same time, like always.

Yeah you are right Jonny, maybe not the best persons to give money to, but the same i thought about the banks and they did it anyway.

so, Alexis/Nikki seems to be having some sort of internal conflict, in the film? because the real-life Alexis seems hardly apologetic or regretful in her several interviews and twitter comments.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bling-rings-sofia-coppola-trials-508256

Who Coppola is now will be on full display at Cannes, where The Bling Ring will screen May 16.

"She's not how most [people] would perceive her to be," says Kirsten Dunst, who played Marie Antoinette in Coppola's 2006 film and starred in her first feature, 1999's The Virgin Suicides. "She's not precious. She's real."

Coppola is returning to the scene of one of her career low points, seven years after the $40 million Marie Antoinette polarized audiences, leading to a standing ovation from some and boos from others.

"After Marie Antoinette, I was over movies," she says, noting she was drained from the huge six-month shoot. "Then I met [cinematographer] Harris Savides, and he gave me a new outlook. He was really into doing things small and as simple as possible. He got me excited about making movies again, in a small-scale way."

The $8 million-plus Bling Ring is set in modern-day Calabasas, Calif., and tells the true story of a group of teens that embarked on a robbing spree, stealing money, jewelry and designer clothing from the likes of Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan before they were caught and then, in some cases, given prison sentences. The film mixes a cast of unknowns -- including Israel Broussard, Taissa Farmiga and Katie Chang. Leslie Mann and Harry Potter's former teenage witch, Emma Watson, were exceptions.

Watson, who spent weeks perfecting a Valley accent, was struck by her director's spontaneity during a six-week shoot that got under way in March 2011. "Once you are on set, she lets you be," she says. "She is very loose and free and calm."

While not shooting or with her two girls (Romy, 6, and Cosima, almost 3) or accompanying her husband on tour, Coppola spends much of her time in an office near her apartment, writing when the mood strikes, responding to e-mails when it doesn't. She acknowledges that writing is "difficult," even though she never has directed a movie with a screenplay by someone else.

She follows film but not avidly (she singles out the documentary The Queen of Versailles and Denmark's A Royal Affair as recent favorites, while lamenting, "It hasn't really been an exciting era for movies"); she listens to music, usually chosen by her husband, though she retains a special affection for Elvis Costello, Roxy Music and Chopin's "Preludes"; and she watches a smattering of television -- from 30 Rock to Mad Men -- while avoiding reality TV.

She also collects photography and has works by William Eggleston, Lee Friedlander and Tina Barney on her apartment's white walls along with a treasured photograph of Charlotte Rampling, given to her by the late Helmut Newton.

"I met him the day he died [in 2004] -- that morning, in the elevator of the Chateau Marmont," she says. "He's one of my heroes. I had written about [the Rampling shot], I think for Vogue, and he sent me the photograph. I couldn't believe it. It's one of my most-cherished possessions. I was able to thank him and told him how much I love it." Hours later, Newton crashed his car right outside the hotel, and Sofia saw the smashed vehicle when she returned later that day, paying an oblique homage to it with the ruined car one glimpses in her 2010 film Somewhere.

She remains close to her parents and at the time of this interview was about to join them in New Orleans to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary at Jazz Fest. "The actual date was Feb. 2, but this was the first time all of us could get together," she says. They e-mail regularly, but, she adds, "I'm not one of those people that talk to their mom all the time."

Francis remembers his daughter once asking "if I felt she was a dilettante. I said, 'No, do all the things you love and eventually they will be useful for whatever you choose.' When I saw her first film, a short titled Lick the Star, I knew it had all come together and she was a filmmaker."

Indeed, for Hollywood royalty (relatives include Nicolas Cage, Jason Schwartzman, Talia Shire and her brother Roman, 48), she has very carefully carved out an identity of her own, influenced by her parents but still separate from them.

"My demeanor is more like my mom," she observes, referring to Eleanor's quieter manner. But like her father, "I have strong opinions. I have a desire [to stamp them on film]." Some part of her likes that element of control, she acknowledges: "In real life, you can't do that. You can't create a world exactly how you imagine."

The Bling Ring takes a real-life story then filters it through Coppola's lucid and luminous eye. She was drawn to the subject when she read Nancy Jo Sales' Vanity Fair article "The Suspects Wore Louboutins." At first, she optioned the underlying material for her family's company, American Zoetrope, without planning to direct. But the more she learned about the case -- helped by transcripts of interviews with the teenagers and police records Sales sent her -- the more intrigued she became.

"It seemed to say so much about contemporary culture and just how this trashy pop culture has become so dominant," she says. "That can be fun, and you can peek at it, but these kids are obsessed with the idea that anybody can be famous and everybody should be."

Coppola spent a year writing the script and negotiating for some of the real characters' life rights, at the same time as a rival project, also titled The Bling Ring, was in the works at Lifetime. She says she watched only five minutes of that 2011 telepic, unwilling for it to influence her work. "I was glad it came and went, but it was everything I wouldn't want my film to be," she says.

Meanwhile, she reached out to the teenagers involved in the crimes. "I spoke to [Alexis Neiers and Nick Prugo] and the detective, Brett Goodkin," she recalls. "Alexis still claims to be innocent and that she wasn't involved in anything. She just stuck with her story."

(Neiers, who served time in prison for her crime, since has tweeted that the finished work is "trashy and inaccurate"; Goodkin, a technical adviser on Coppola's film, is awaiting the verdict of a disciplinary panel on whether his participation violated LAPD rules.)

As is her wont, Coppola kept a "reference book" of pictures and documents that she later could show her cast and crew, including snapshots of Hilton's shoe closet, images of Los Angeles' sparkling skyline and photos she found on the Facebook page of castmember Claire Julien.

While she developed the screenplay, fellow producers Youree Henley and her brother Roman (along with Coppola's agent, ICM Partners' Bart Walker, and FilmNation's Glen Basner) cobbled together funds from foreign distributors, then sold domestic rights to U.S. distributor A24, which will release the film June 14.

Watson was intrigued by her director's manner when shooting began. "Sofia was never really explicit," she says. "Her laughing or getting excited about the take was what I got confidence from. And just the fact she believed I could do it in the first place."

To Coppola's surprise, Hilton agreed to participate, taking a cameo and allowing her to shoot in the actress-model's Beverly Hills home. Coppola had met her there when Somewhere star Stephen Dorff invited her to a party. "That's when I first saw the 'Paris pillows,' " she recalls, referring to pillows that bear Hilton's image, one of the more startling examples of Hollywood narcissism that appear in her movie. "It felt very Entourage."

As to shooting in Hilton's house: "For a while, we weren't talking about it," she says, "because they don't allow filming in her neighborhood -- we had to sneak in and not look like a film crew." Hilton herself surprised her. "She has a sense of humor, and she was really nice."

It is hard to imagine two public figures more different than the socialite and Sofia, one all surface, the other with so much hidden behind her words.

Coppola speaks with candor and a lack of pretense, and yet a sense of mystery remains. It explains why the public and the famous friends she has made are so drawn to her.