The Emma-Watson.net Forum

KONY 2012 is a campaign by Invisible Children that is aiming to make Joseph Kony known and famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise awareness and support for his arrest set a precedent for international justice.

Who is Joseph Kony?

To give a brief summary of who he is; he is an Ugandan guerilla group leader, head of the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) that abducts children and forces them to kill, including their own families so they have no home to return to. He forces young girls to be soldiers and sex slaves and to commit crimes so terrible you would never imagine. He has committed 26+ years of crime, abducted over 30K children, and the LRA has currently over 440,000 people displaced across three countries.

This is the video made by direction Jason Russell that has been uploaded yesterday to help spread the word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

To me, it's got a lot of insight into the campaign, and there are some powerful things in the video. It's got me really thinking about what the world can do when there's enough motivation. There are small things you can do that will start to make a difference and one of them is to start by making Joseph Kony known.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit i had no idea about this whole situation, and i feel terrible. I saw it on tumblr last night, tumblr's going insane with this. I hate it how the media will go on and on and on about which celebrity dated who, who broke up with who and they never talk about the important stuff. If it's true what that man does, it's horrible, he's a monster. He has to be stopped.

But i'm actually curious, how no one had any idea about all this LRA before? I mean it's huge, what he does, what he has done.

"Bullets change governments far surer than votes."

Albeit, good idea but awareness can only go so far but awareness without action is just as good as no one caring about it at all. I remember reading about back in the 70's and 80's when some African governments will hire mercenaries, like Executive Outcomes, to quell rebellions using professional soldiers. To be completely honest in my own personal opinion, mercenaries in Africa back then I think actually did a far better job in Africa than UN peacekeepers will ever do. Nowadays, atrocities are committed on both sides, no one's innocent anymore; ever since the 19th century, the rest of the world has left a blind eye towards Africa. It's sad.

If it wouldn't be for a good cause..I have to admit I find this organization/video kinda creepy. For example from 16:46 until 17:10. But I guess that's just me. Nevertheless I've shared this video yesterday as well.

"Bullets change governments far surer than votes."

Albeit, good idea but awareness can only go so far but awareness without action is just as good as no one caring about it at all.

I agree. Nowadays I don't think it'll work any other way.

I remember reading about back in the 70's and 80's when some African governments will hire mercenaries, like Executive Outcomes, to quell rebellions using professional soldiers. To be completely honest in my own personal opinion, mercenaries in Africa back then I think actually did a far better job in Africa than UN peacekeepers will ever do. Nowadays, atrocities are committed on both sides, no one's innocent anymore; ever since the 19th century, the rest of the world has left a blind eye towards Africa. It's sad.

Let's say they were more efficient to stop rebellions. But they slaughtered. Ever heard about 'Kongo Müller'? And don't get me started about UN. Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

Edited by I am Not Purple

Jeremy and Widu, I think you are missing the point completely. With the attitude both of you have, your right, nothing will ever happen. But, look at how many people don't have that attitude. It isn't like this organization hasn't accomplished anything. They are the reason the UN or anyone is involved at all. So what if the UN is corrupt? Better then just leaving Kony be isn't it? Because that's the only option. Get the Govt./UN involved or leave him be. Is it better to just give up? I agree, the UN sucks. But, they can get the job done. Who else is going to be able too? They are only going to be involved as long as their is awareness.

I have actually heard of the LRA. I didn't know much about it other then the fact that it was a Guerrilla army. I never heard of Kony. It is incredibly shocking that there isn't more being done to publicize this. I find it shocking that hardly anyone has heard of this, including myself. This isn't the only time that we, as a whole nation, haven't found out about things like this. I hate that idea. The horrible,large scale atrocities are being allowed to happen because no one knows.

I think everyone should do what they can to spread awareness. Anyone with a heart should. Their just kids. This is so sad.

The thing is Arie, I've become so skeptical of movements like this. The Rwanda genocide is a perfect example. People knew about it, people knew it was wrong, people knew that something had to be done.... but no one did. Again, awareness is good and all but to what extent? Social media can only do so much. Without action, what good would awareness do? With such a large audience, I would assume that the general public would have some influence on convincing government officials or aid organizations to do more than what they're doing now.

"The gates of Auschwitz were not opened with peace talks. Holland was not liberated by peacekeepers and fascism was not defeated with a deft pen." - Rick Mercer

The thing is Arie, I've become so skeptical of movements like this. The Rwanda genocide is a perfect example. People knew about it, people knew it was wrong, people knew that something had to be done.... but no one did. Again, awareness is good and all but to what extent? Social media can only do so much. Without action, what good would awareness do? With such a large audience, I would assume that the general public would have some influence on convincing government officials or aid organizations to do more than what they're doing now.

"The gates of Auschwitz were not opened with peace talks. Holland was not liberated by peacekeepers and fascism was not defeated with a deft pen." - Rick Mercer

So we shouldn't try at all? I understand what your saying. But, the other option is not doing anything. You would rather do nothing than try? That's what I don't understand. Giving up. Giving up is even worse. I get your criticism of it, I do. I just don't think its worth it to be critical in this situation. The only other option is doing nothing at all. So why be critical? Why not just try? And, if your answer is,"because it wont do anything". That is the very reason why there is much wrong in this world. When you stop believing we have any power at all. That is a sad day. I believe in people's power. Just look at what happened in Egypt and Turkey. People came together. Yes, a lot went wrong. But, the world learned that people has power.

Did you watch the whole video? Because its not just about awareness. There are a lot of actions that have too place. A lot has already been accomplished. Its not like this is just some guy sitting behind a computer screen saying,"You, like this!" They are actually doing something. Judging by the quote you chose I assume you didn't watch the video at all. This organization succeeded in getting America to send troops to Uganda to help them find Kony. They are working with the Ugandan army. One of the main reasons they are raising awareness like this is because of the US thinks no one cares anymore then they will withdraw the troops. That's not just sitting back and having a peace talk now is it?

Also, in response to your example of Rwanda. Yes, that was horrible. But, why should we let that be the case? To use that as an example you are saying we will never move forward. Just because people didn't respond then, or to the Holocaust (in reference to the quote) doesn't mean people wont respond in the future. You can't just give up and say,"well no one is going to respond". You have to keep pushing so that people will ALWAYS respond. I just don't understand this give up attitude. This attitude that nothing is going to change. I see the history, but I don't live in it. I look towards a better future. I think the important thing is to learn from the response to genocides in that past and figure out away not to let that happen again. Not to say,"Oh well this is what happened before so obviously no one will respond again".

Never give up. That's not what the victims of these genocides would have wanted. That's definitely not the attitude my Holocaust survivor grandparents have.

I've got nothing against the video. It's the followers that gets me. Going off on a tangent here, I'll relate to the outrage against SOPA displayed in social media. I personally asked all my friends on facebook who posted disgust against SOPA if they actually did anything about it, they all said "I made sure everyone knew" but they never even contacted their congressional representative. I did. With enough letters they can and will vote against the bill, it's their job. That's my rant for the day.

Again, I have nothing against the video or movement in general. I just want to be clear that people should do something. That is all.

I've got nothing against the video. It's the followers that gets me. Going off on a tangent here, I'll relate to the outrage against SOPA displayed in social media. I personally asked all my friends on facebook who posted disgust against SOPA if they actually did anything about it, they all said "I made sure everyone knew" but they never even contacted their congressional representative. I did. With enough letters they can and will vote against the bill, it's their job. That's my rant for the day.

Again, I have nothing against the video or movement in general. I just want to be clear that people should do something. That is all.

There will always be people who don't do anything. But there are plenty who do. This video shows footage of all the protests and such. My point is that you can't focus on the people who don't take action because there are so many who do.

I saw the video just now and you stole my idea to post it here :) Buying a bracelet seems like a poor thing to do, but it's the least I can do when I'm still in school. So, where do you get these fine bracelets? I don't really care if there are 1000 things like this going on in the world, if I can help by doing such a small thing that means I have enough to help in all the projects :)

I saw the video just now and you stole my idea to post it here :) Buying a bracelet seems like a poor thing to do, but it's the least I can do when I'm still in school. So, where do you get these fine bracelets? I don't really care if there are 1000 things like this going on in the world, if I can help by doing such a small thing that means I have enough to help in all the projects :)

All the products are at Kony2012.com I just looked earlier today. The bracelets are $10

It's sad, but I'm pretty sure worse things are happening right now, and in all honesty I do not think we can do much. People watch the video, buy products, etc. and when this is over,they'll think they made a change, which I really doubt they will. Of course, I'm not saying it's wrong to try, but still.

i dont understand why everyone is suddenly talking about this now i've been seeing this all over facebook. it's a issue that's been going on for years. what makes me kind of mad is that i've been in invisible children club at my school and no one cared about this and we only had like a handful of followers and now almost everyone at school is posting this video it seems like they're only doing it because it's getting so much attention

dont get me wrong im glad it's getting attention i wished they cared about it long ago

Double post,

but this happens in every country, it happens in the UK because i have read case studies on children who have gone through some horrendous things. He is a war criminal, and publicising his actions wont stop him, in fact he is probably revelling in it.

Kony is just another Rebel leader in Africa. Child soldiers and sex trafficing have been going on for years and years and nobody has ever done anything to stop it anywhere else. I think this just shows the absolute naivety of people that think because a youtube video gets 10 million views, even 30, that people will therefore "rally and support the cause!". Even if they did, why, especially in the current climate, would ANY government get themselves involved in anything to do with Kony. The entire idea should just be shelved and we should just move on.

Kony is just another Rebel leader in Africa. Child soldiers and sex trafficing have been going on for years and years and nobody has ever done anything to stop it anywhere else. I think this just shows the absolute naivety of people that think because a youtube video gets 10 million views, even 30, that people will therefore "rally and support the cause!". Even if they did, why, especially in the current climate, would ANY government get themselves involved in anything to do with Kony. The entire idea should just be shelved and we should just move on.

The kicker is that if any government does intervene with force, the moment their soldiers start coming back in body bags, the general public will reject going in there in the first place. Look at Somalia 20 years ago. Because the UN were not able to protect their food shipments to feed the hungry because of Gen. Aidid's raids, the US sent combat troops to help protect the UN food shipments. Five helicopters were shot down, the US pulled out completely within weeks and Somalia just went back to Hell. A few years later, the US was weary of the same events happening to any force trying to help Rwanda. The UN made sure that no one said the word "genocide" in session regarding Rwanda because that will legally bind them to get involved. Almost a million died because of this.

Ok what I'm trying to say is I don't think the citizens of any country who want to help is willing to commit their own countrymen into harms way to help another. My question to some the people talking about Kony is: are you willing to put your country's men and women into harm's way in order to stop this rebel leader?

I don't think troops will be in the same danger in this case. The army ther fighting against is made up of kids. It's not an organized military. They are working with the Ugandan army. I don't think the same threat exists as in the examples Jeremy brought up.

I will also add another question: How would you feel if this was you and everyone turned away? If you didn't live your nice lifestyle. If you suffered everyday, but no one came to help?

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to help. I don't understand why people just turn the faces the other way and think that's okay. I guess it's because all my grandparents survived the holocaust. Ever country closed their borders at first during that. No one would help. I guess I have more experience with this subject. Sometimes you need to sacrifice a little in order to save a future. If kony isn't stopped 30,000 will turn not more and more. These kids deserve a future.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to help.

How would you help? Or how would I help? Watching a video? Sharing a video? Buying stuff? That is not helping.

How would you help? Or how would I help? Watching a video? Sharing a video? Buying stuff? That is not helping.

Clearly you didn't read my whole post. I was discussing troops or govt. aid. The point of sharing the videos is to raise awareness. No one thinks they are physically helping the situation by clicking a button. But, that's irrelevant since it wasn't what I was talking about.

Clearly you didn't read my whole post. I was discussing troops or govt. aid. The point of sharing the videos is to raise awareness. No one thinks they are physically helping the situation by clicking a button. But, that's irrelevant since it wasn't what I was talking about.

Sorry, I read your whole post, but I took that portion out of context to make other questions which are still in topic, since you said "I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to help", and anyone is, well, anyone.

I don't think troops will be in the same danger in this case. The army ther fighting against is made up of kids. It's not an organized military. They are working with the Ugandan army. I don't think the same threat exists as in the examples Jeremy brought up.

"A bullet from a fourteen year old is just as effective as a bullet from a forty year old. Often more effective."

Children fighting is the worst of all. One they sometimes have a feeling of invincibility and two the adult soldiers they may be fighting will hesitate to pull that trigger thus getting shot themselves.

I will also add another question: How would you feel if this was you and everyone turned away? If you didn't live your nice lifestyle. If you suffered everyday, but no one came to help?

I've lived in a third world country before, I've lived in a place where I always had to be cautious when walking in the streets, I've lived where hearing gunfire at night is not uncommon. I have a taste of what that is.

My best friends are currently deployed to the horn of Africa on a humanitarian mission (combat capable). They're risking their lives for the exact purposes you want to achieve; they're just on the other side of the war-torn continent.

I'm not naive, of course there are people that want to help. It's that they're not committed to. Wanting something and doing something are totally different things.

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to help. I don't understand why people just turn the faces the other way and think that's okay. I guess it's because all my grandparents survived the holocaust. Ever country closed their borders at first during that. No one would help. I guess I have more experience with this subject. Sometimes you need to sacrifice a little in order to save a future. If Kony isn't stopped 30,000 will turn not more and more. These kids deserve a future.

Again I'm going to refer a quote I said earlier in this thread.

"The gates of Auschwitz were not opened with peace talks. Holland was not liberated by peacekeepers and fascism was not defeated with a deft pen."

Are you willing to have your own countrymen come back in body bags only to save people in a foreign land that probably will never return the favour? Are you willing to allow your own young boys and girls die at all? Are you willing to allow your own country's mothers weep over their children fighting a war that many won't understand?

What I'm asking is will you still help these children if it means losing children of your own?

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Sorry to double post but I'd like to reiterate a point mentioned in this thread before.

The whole world knows that this has been going on for decades. There were even Hollywood films about this subject and yet little was done then. And for some reason everyone wants to help all of a sudden? If anybody wanted to help, it should've been 30 years ago.

"A bullet from a fourteen year old is just as effective as a bullet from a forty year old. Often more effective."

Children fighting is the worst of all. One they sometimes have a feeling of invincibility and two the adult soldiers they may be fighting will hesitate to pull that trigger thus getting shot themselves.

I've lived in a third world country before, I've lived in a place where I always had to be cautious when walking in the streets, I've lived where hearing gunfire at night is not uncommon. I have a taste of what that is.

My best friends are currently deployed to the horn of Africa on a humanitarian mission (combat capable). They're risking their lives for the exact purposes you want to achieve; they're just on the other side of the war-torn continent.

I'm not naive, of course there are people that want to help. It's that they're not committed to. Wanting something and doing something are totally different things.

Again I'm going to refer a quote I said earlier in this thread.

"The gates of Auschwitz were not opened with peace talks. Holland was not liberated by peacekeepers and fascism was not defeated with a deft pen."

Are you willing to have your own countrymen come back in body bags only to save people in a foreign land that probably will never return the favour? Are you willing to allow your own young boys and girls die at all? Are you willing to allow your own country's mothers weep over their children fighting a war that many won't understand?

What I'm asking is will you still help these children if it means losing children of your own?

It wouldn't get that bad in this situation. There are always going to be casualties of course. But we are not fighting an advanced army. There wouldn't be these astronimcal numbers. I think that order to have a better future sometimes sacrifice is needed. I will again go back to your quote. So do you think that the US was wrong to enter WW2 because by your logic it would seem that way. There were tons of casualties too. So should every country have stayed out of it? Should they have just let Hitler continue killing and killing?! If the answer is yes, then I feel bad for you. Of course I hate the idea that anyone would be killed. But I understand that sometimes it is necessary for the future. I don't think that many soldiers would be killed in the Kony situation. Right now soldiers are there helping with the cause. I don't think we should just put this on a shelf or turn away. 30,000 kids is a huge number. It's only going to grow if no one does anything. I want those kids to have the same future that I hope for my own kids.

And do you think I don't know what it's like for people to die in war? Most of my friends are in the army in Israel currently. I know many people who have taught and died in the wars over there. I know exactly what it's like. But those soldiers understand it is necessary in order to have a future. I know what its like so don't you talk down to me.

I just think that turning your face away from anyone in need is wrong. No matter what, it's wrong. It was wrong in ever situation were it did happen. It was wrong in Halocaust and it is wrong now. If it weren't for the US intervening in WW2 then I wouldn't even be here today! Is that the kind of thing you want? To prevent futures?

Sorry to double post but I'd like to reiterate a point mentioned in this thread before.

The whole world knows that this has been going on for decades. There were even Hollywood films about this subject and yet little was done then. And for some reason everyone wants to help all of a sudden? If anybody wanted to help, it should've been 30 years ago.

Actually that's not true. Most people have said they never even heard of this! Look at the first page on this thread even at the people who wrote they had no idea. That's why they are raising awareness, because the everyday person was unaware.

It wouldn't get that bad in this situation. There are always going to be casualties of course. But we are not fighting an advanced army. There wouldn't be these astronimcal numbers. I think that order to have a better future sometimes sacrifice is needed. I will again go back to your quote. So do you think that the US was wrong to enter WW2 because by your logic it would seem that way. There were tons of casualties too. So should every country have stayed out of it? Should they have just let Hitler continue killing and killing?! If the answer is yes, then I feel bad for you. Of course I hate the idea that anyone would be killed. But I understand that sometimes it is necessary for the future. I don't think that many soldiers would be killed in the Kony situation. Right now soldiers are there helping with the cause. I don't think we should just put this on a shelf or turn away. 30,000 kids is a huge number. It's only going to grow if no one does anything. I want those kids to have the same future that I hope for my own kids.

In order to help save the hungry people of Somalia, the United States sent 20,000 US Marines in 1992 and in 1993 had a few hundred of their best special operations troops in country. 300,000+ were died in the years prior, the responsibility was that of a warlord taking the UN food shipments to the country. It only took 19 US soldiers to die one day for President Clinton to pull out completely.

I just think that turning your face away from anyone in need is wrong. No matter what, it's wrong. It was wrong in ever situation were it did happen. It was wrong in Halocaust and it is wrong now. If it weren't for the US intervening in WW2 then I wouldn't even be here today! Is that the kind of thing you want? To prevent futures?

And I agree with you completely! I just want you to see this problem from the point of view of government leaders. Some things are just easier said than done. Popular support might die off in only a few months time. With the current state of world economy and politics, there are a lot of factors involved.

Actually that's not true. Most people have said they never even heard of this! Look at the first page on this thread even at the people who wrote they had no idea. That's why they are raising awareness, because the everyday person was unaware.

Define "most people". With the amount of books, movies, documentaries, TV shows, etc. on this subject over the years. It only took one 30 minute YouTube video for everyone to know? If that's the case then 'most' people are sheltered from the real world. The Facebook generation is one which may provide popular support but probably not loyal support.