The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I understand what you are saying. But I honestly don't think the situation is the same. I don't think it would get that bad. They aren't even interested in fighting. All they want to do is find the guy and arrest him. There are 100 american soldiers there now just helping and advising the ugandan army. That's all. No one is suggesting to deploy thousands of troops. Just to keep those same soldiers their as advisers. People are worried that if there is no public interest than they will no longer provide those advisers. That's the point of the awareness. The ugandan army is doing the fighting. They just need some advise, I don't see a problem with that. I am sure the us army has better tactics to show them.

That is exactly what I mean by people and you know its true. No one cares unless its on youtube or facebook. Its terribly depressing, but its the truth. No one can deny that. I often think the only way for most people to know what goes on in the world is through a ridiculous youtube video. Its sad what the world has come too. I think that really is the majority today.

To be clear I think that's a bad thing and I agree that it won't help much if at all. Just eanted to make that clear. I am not a total idiot haha

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll come in here with a game breaker and say that the entire video was made with footage filmed BEFORE 2006. In 2006 Kony and the LRA signed a peace agreement with the Ugandan government. The LRA is now roughly 250 strong and is not fighting anymore except in possibly very small areas. This means that Kony is NOT LONGER ABDUCTING CHILDREN. While he may HAVE abducted 30,000, the child soldiers atleast have disbanded. Moreover, the Invisible Children charity had it's finance books audited in October 2011. Only 30% was spent on helping the children while $800,000 was spent on making films and $400,000 was spent on office space.

My point is that this entire affair has obviously been blown entirely out of proportion. People have been blinded by a moral sense equal in strength to religious fervor. Very few people ahve actually thought beyond "oh look! He hurts Children! He's bad! Let's stop him!". It's no better than 8 year olds in the playground playing cops and robbers. There is a world outside our own morality. It's called politics.

I think I'll come in here with a game breaker and say that the entire video was made with footage filmed BEFORE 2006. In 2006 Kony and the LRA signed a peace agreement with the Ugandan government. The LRA is now roughly 250 strong and is not fighting anymore except in possibly very small areas. This means that Kony is NOT LONGER ABDUCTING CHILDREN. While he may HAVE abducted 30,000, the child soldiers atleast have disbanded. Moreover, the Invisible Children charity had it's finance books audited in October 2011. Only 30% was spent on helping the children while $800,000 was spent on making films and $400,000 was spent on office space.

Definitely a game breaker. I guess what people know about now is dated information. It still doesn't mean that he shouldn't be brought to Justice. But this definitely worth note.

My point is that this entire affair has obviously been blown entirely out of proportion. People have been blinded by a moral sense equal in strength to religious fervor. Very few people ahve actually thought beyond "oh look! He hurts Children! He's bad! Let's stop him!". It's no better than 8 year olds in the playground playing cops and robbers. There is a world outside our own morality. It's called politics.

You just took the words right out of my mouth.

Sorry to double post but I'd like to reiterate a point mentioned in this thread before.

The whole world knows that this has been going on for decades. There were even Hollywood films about this subject and yet little was done then. And for some reason everyone wants to help all of a sudden? If anybody wanted to help, it should've been 30 years ago.

30 years ago? I'm pretty sure the man stated 21 years ago? Everyone wants to help all of a sudden because they only just found out. The only reason why American government sent out troops was because they finally realised after 10 years how big the issue had got. I can't even believe they rejected to help them and said it simply weren't big enough. Fair enough Osama was a much bigger case then but I don't see what a few troops would have done to harm America. Spare me the rubbish about their safety, it's their job they chose to be there and get paid for it. I'm not saying sentence them but they're meant to help and they haven't until now. They could have more than likely catched Kony back then and this wouldn't be happening and it definitely wouldn't be so advanced. BUT it is so none of us can do much about it unless we plan on actually going out there.

As for buying the products they are selling for the campaign only a selective amount of the money actually goes out to helping them, everyone knows that.

I admit this Kony is a nasty piece of work. I too watched the video it came out and yes I did only learn of this then like two thirds of the rest of the population only heard about it then. Instead of bashing the circumstances though we should all be happy that it's an awareness worldwide now. I'd happily do my part to help them catch Kony even if it only donating that little money every month and putting posters up.

Not all of this was aimed at you by the way. xD Even though I quoted your post. The first sentence was but the rest of it was me stating my opinion as I have yet to post in here.

If there was some way to verify his DNA, maybe offering a bounty of...like...2-5 million $ for his head might work? Wouldn't there be some ppl in Africa who would like to collect?

Matthewsont, do you have sources for both of those posts? I am not doubting you. Its not even surprising. I just would like to see the sources and read up on that for myself. Can you post a link? Thanks!

30 years ago? I'm pretty sure the man stated 21 years ago? Everyone wants to help all of a sudden because they only just found out. The only reason why American government sent out troops was because they finally realised after 10 years how big the issue had got. I can't even believe they rejected to help them and said it simply weren't big enough. Fair enough Osama was a much bigger case then but I don't see what a few troops would have done to harm America. Spare me the rubbish about their safety, it's their job they chose to be there and get paid for it. I'm not saying sentence them but they're meant to help and they haven't until now. They could have more than likely catched Kony back then and this wouldn't be happening and it definitely wouldn't be so advanced. BUT it is so none of us can do much about it unless we plan on actually going out there.

Child soldiers aren't just in Uganda, they're everywhere from Sierra Leone to Ethiopia. Broaden the scale and it'll be more than just the 21 years. There's always been 'Western' aid in the region with or without American boots. There's always going to be some proxy group or contractor operating in various regions helping as far as fighting guerrilla and anti-government groups.

Again put yourselves in the shoes of the politicians, not the soldiers. Yes the soldiers understand what they're getting themselves into but its the politicians that get the flak if anything goes awry. Personally, with other factors in play as well, the situation wouldn't have gotten to this state if the UN hadn't cracked down on certain things preventing action actually being done.

The Guardian one was great! Thanks. I am skimming through all of them now. A lot of interesting information here that definitely needs to be more publicized.

haha no problm. I hate it when people jsut get sucked into things without thinking :P

This guy and his cronies have done a lot of evil things in the past, would like to see him and his associates brought to justice. Having said that, I dont think donating any money to this charity would do any good at all. The only way rebel organisations can be fought is by military and political methods. As for celebrities who have jumped on the bandwagon, its a typical knee jerk reaction, with the benefit of some free publicity.

They should stay well out of it, and let the politicians and the UN deal with it.

Africa is a huge continent, and there is always some confilicts going on in various countries, the rest of the world can't put everything to right. Its about time some of the better off African countries started helping out their neighbours. !

Catching one man will not solve all the problems !

I think, the more awareness, the better.

But I am wondering if this is a legitimate organization? I feel that there are too many maybes when it comes to The Invisible Children, I have a hard time trusting them. Otherwise, I would make a donation.

Catching one man will not solve all the problems !

Of course won't solve problems but it's a step in the right direction (however little that step is). Africa is and will be a tough region to mediate, there probably will always be a handful of wars and flashpoints in any given year across the continent. It's just like Afghanistan, never in it's history has it been a stable country since the Mongol empire.

Can you summarize what was in them?

It literally just smells like propaganda. High quality propaganda I might add. Very manipulating.

The video makes people spend money on a cause they believe is the only right thing to do. Spending money on a 50 year old warlord who doesn't even live in Uganda anymore, has thousands of child soldiers who'd die for him. Basically the money you donate to that organization is used to kill him and a couple hundred, maybe thousand child soldiers. What's the deeper meaning again? All that money to kill him could be maybe, just maybe used to invest in AIDS dying ppl in Africa so they can have a little nicer life?

Oh, and what a surprise...Uganda has massive oil reserves! Very convenient.

And you finance this.

It literally just smells like propaganda. High quality propaganda I might add. Very manipulating.

The video makes people spend money on a cause they believe is the only right thing to do. Spending money on a 50 year old warlord who doesn't even live in Uganda anymore, has thousands of child soldiers who'd die for him. Basically the money you donate to that organization is used to kill him and a couple hundred, maybe thousand child soldiers. What's the deeper meaning again? All that money to kill him could be maybe, just maybe used to invest in AIDS dying ppl in Africa so they can have a little nicer life?

Oh, and what a surprise...Uganda has massive oil reserves! Very convenient.

And you finance this.

So the video you watched was on this subject or another similar? I understand and agree with your point about AIDS. With all the diseases going around in all of Africa I think it would be better to try and help that cause. It is a cause at least that could help many people in a much more peaceful way. I mean that doesn't take army involvement. Uganda has oil reserves? I didn't know that. I am surprised some war lord isn't trying to use that to his advantage. No scratch that, I am surprised we don't know about a war lord using that to his advantage.

So the video you watched was on this subject or another similar? I understand and agree with your point about AIDS. With all the diseases going around in all of Africa I think it would be better to try and help that cause. It is a cause at least that could help many people in a much more peaceful way. I mean that doesn't take army involvement. Uganda has oil reserves? I didn't know that. I am surprised some war lord isn't trying to use that to his advantage. No scratch that, I am surprised we don't know about a war lord using that to his advantage.

All 3 are. Among other things. But this is my personal opinion. Yep, found in 2010. They say it's as large as the one in Saudi Arabia.

All 3 are. Among other things. But this is my personal opinion. Yep, found in 2010. They say it's as large as the one in Saudi Arabia.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Well I think your opinion is valid :P

Huh, thats interesting too. I wonder why America has tried to tap into that yet!!! lol

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Well I think your opinion is valid :P

Huh, thats interesting too. I wonder why America has tried to tap into that yet!!! lol

Well I thank you. :P

I think the whole Kony thing is a smart way to get into that.