The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Hunger Games

watched it today.. its kinda like Twilight witout sparkling vampires and with a little bit of action. youse might hate me for this but its kinda boring, the only good part of this movie is Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss), Elizabeth Banks makeup, Woody Harrelson,

at the beginning at the stage, when she shoot that arrow and hit the apple and the Spock thing, where she did the three fingers salute

i'll give it 6/10 ;p

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG Ardi! How can it be anything like Twilight? All twilight is about love and vampire/werewolves. The Hunger Games is an action/adventure fight to the death. I don't see your comparison at all? O.o

Tell me how did you compare it to Twilight? It's not even a chick flick...

I totally get what Ardi is saying because I felt the same way when I started reading the books. For me it was the whole Peeta and Gale thing. I was like oh great another book with two boys to choose between. That's the only part I didn't like about the books as well, just have one guy!!! Other then that there are no simularities. Twilight is terrible and hunger games is not lol. But I totally understand the comparison, assuming that's what ardi was talking about.

Okay, I think Arie described the only point that seems valid, Ardi. I see where she is coming from and I agree that, that point stands valid. It was just shocking to hear/read you say that you thought it was the same as Twilight. >.<

OMG Ardi! How can it be anything like Twilight? All twilight is about love and vampire/werewolves. The Hunger Games is an action/adventure fight to the death. I don't see your comparison at all? O.o

Tell me how did you compare it to Twilight? It's not even a chick flick...

I totally get what Ardi is saying because I felt the same way when I started reading the books. For me it was the whole Peeta and Gale thing. I was like oh great another book with two boys to choose between. That's the only part I didn't like about the books as well, just have one guy!!! Other then that there are no simularities. Twilight is terrible and hunger games is not lol. But I totally understand the comparison, assuming that's what ardi was talking about.

The fact that people compare it to Twilight is only understandable. But I agree with both Arie and Jade. There's just nothing similar between Twilight and Hunger Games except for the point Arie argued.

Katniss Everdeen portrays a hard-working girl who fights to survive and keep her family alive by hunting. She doesn't even know if she has feelings for Gale or Peeta. The whole romance with Peeta in the arena was only so she could get out alive. But that's what drew me in. The fact that she doesn't even know for herself what she feels, because her only thought was to get them both out alive to save her family. Bella Swan on the other hand, she waits for her boyfriend [Edward] to save her, she literally almost has no other motive in the story except to wait for other people to protect her. There's a big contrast.

yeah Arie thats wat i was talkin about and i said "kinda" not full on like Twilight

thats why i gave 6, good story line, and great actors/actresses.. and its a bit predictable

Ok I saw Hunger Games and hate to say it because I LOVE THE BOOK-the movie was a let down and not worth seeing. Even my friends who are film majors disliked it. The acting by Jennifer Lawrence was very well done as was was Woody Harrelson (totally downplayed his role though-personally preferred the movie version of his Haymitch over the book though so I was fine with that)) but they added scenes that should not have been added especially ONE huge scene that ugh I was so mad they put in-ruined it for me as a fan of the book but ahh well. Peeta-just felt they casted this role wrong...he came off wimpy for me...Rues scenes sooo much better in the book-blame the director for it....Gale-yummy ;) ;)

Anyway my friends and I said HP films 100% better. We dont plan on spending $12 on these movies anymore. We will maybe,wait for the DVD LOL

As always-this is just my opinion as I dont want to take away the love for the movie away from people who did love it as I completely respect your views on it too :)

Ah I found it more true to the book than Harry Potter stayed true. They added scene's in to make it more interesting because otherwise it would be too slow and could be mistaken for boring.It's not like they took a whole load of scene's out.

Ah I found it more true to the book than Harry Potter stayed true. They added scene's in to make it more interesting because otherwise it would be too slow and could be mistaken for boring.It's not like they took a whole load of scene's out.

I agree, I liked that they added those scenes in and they really didn't take that many scenes out that were in the book. And I agree that they did stay more true to the book than Harry Potter movies did.

watched it today.. its kinda like Twilight witout sparkling vampires and with a little bit of action. youse might hate me for this but its kinda boring, the only good part of this movie is Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss), Elizabeth Banks makeup, Woody Harrelson,

at the beginning at the stage, when she shoot that arrow and hit the apple and the Spock thing, where she did the three fingers salute

i'll give it 6/10 ;p

Like twilight??? This actually has a plot, it actually has substantive characters, and it actually makes sense. This isn't anything like Twilight.

I admit the love triangle was annoying but it's not the main issue of the book. It generates conflict amongst the characters, which affects Katniss who already has a lot to deal with since she's fighting in the Hunger Games. The main issue is them grappling with a dysfunctional world, a dystopia, a virtual dictatorship by president snow. You can argue that she survives by her relationship with Peeta but that wouldn't necessarily be true. The only way they can resist the regime is by doing it together, by both being victors. Katniss isn't some love struck school girl looking for some action. She's trying to survive in a chaotic world which eventually encompasses her relationship to Gale and Peeta, but they aren't the forefront.

Like twilight??? This actually has a plot, it actually has substantive characters, and it actually makes sense. This isn't anything like Twilight.

I admit the love triangle was annoying but it's not the main issue of the book. It generates conflict amongst the characters, which affects Katniss who already has a lot to deal with since she's fighting in the Hunger Games. The main issue is them grappling with a dysfunctional world, a dystopia, a virtual dictatorship by president snow. You can argue that she survives by her relationship with Peeta but that wouldn't necessarily be true. The only way they can resist the regime is by doing it together, by both being victors. Katniss isn't some love struck school girl looking for some action. She's trying to survive in a chaotic world which eventually encompasses her relationship to Gale and Peeta, but they aren't the forefront.

agreed

Was everyone here for Peeta and Katniss from the beginning? Because icwas totally a Gale fan. I feel like an outcast lol. I still haven't seen the movie, but I really liked gale from the moment the books started!!!

Was everyone here for Peeta and Katniss from the beginning? Because icwas totally a Gale fan. I feel like an outcast lol. I still haven't seen the movie, but I really liked gale from the moment the books started!!!

Nope I was a Gale fan. I felt Peeta to be a tad whiney in the books. I was team Gale. I'm half and half after watching the movies.

The book she pretends to like Peeta but the movie actually makes it look like she falls for him. Which in short in the books she does. I'm talking about book one at the moment though.

So yeah I'll wait for the next movies to come out before I side with Team Peeta. The movie made me feel sorry for Peeta though.

Then when they kissed I felt sorry for Gale.

Edited by Hermione

Honestly, I was a Peeta and Katniss fan. BUT, I do like Gale's character.

Oh and I watched the movie today. I felt it was really good.

A lot of people didn't like the additional scenes with Crane and Snow but I didn't mind at all. It helped with the story line. Overall I'm really pleased.

Edited by temperament

^I seen that announcement 3 days ago! It's actually true then? I was telling my mom that it's near enough 1 and a half years after the first one.

I can't wait knowing it's true now!

I watched The Hunger Games last night and thought it was great! Just loved it!

Iv got the book dusting in my bookshelf unread for some reason lol definitely gonna pick it up AND order the rest of the books asap!

I saw the movie (I didn't think I was going to watch it tbh). I have never read the books, but I approached this movie from a realistic context: can events in the Hunger Games become realized in real life? Probably not anytime soon, so in the beginning I didn't like it that much.

But, towards the middle I found myself anticipating what comes next. I did think there needed to be some editing and clarification of dialogue, but I loved it.

Could have done without some special effects (some of them were very obvious). I did like how they blended some current cultural elements with futuristic styles (hairdo's could have gone though lol).

Katniss Everdeen is my new heroine haha, she's so kick-ass. And pretty. :D

I saw the movie (I didn't think I was going to watch it tbh). I have never read the books, but I approached this movie from a realistic context: can events in the Hunger Games become realized in real life? Probably not anytime soon, so in the beginning I didn't like it that much.

You do realize its. Fantasy right? :P It's not suppossed to be realistic hahaha. Farthermore, I am curious, but why would you want the hunger games to happen In real life? You wrote that you didn't like it much because it's not something that would occur anytime soon. But why would we want that?? Should make you happy that we don't have to face something like the hunger game!

But, towards the middle I found myself anticipating what comes next. I did think there needed to be some editing and clarification of dialogue, but I loved it.

Could have done without some special effects (some of them were very obvious). I did like how they blended some current cultural elements with futuristic styles (hairdo's could have gone though lol).

Katniss Everdeen is my new heroine haha, she's so kick-ass. And pretty. :D

I think there was a point to making the 'special effects' obvious. Or did you mean the mutts/otherwise? Because I'm assuming you're talking about the scenes in the Capitol where the game makers are adding disaster to the arena. The setting of the movie is set to an unknown futuristic time where technology has expanded so I guess the special effects sort of needed to be seen. I mean, even the mutts are supposed to be genetically formed in the Capitol.

I understand what you mean about the events happening some time in the future. I don't think or want the games to happen but I know where you're coming from. There's this idea that we're all going to go against the government for various reasons; demanding for our rights or for something to be changed. However I hope we're not going to go to the extremes and start playing these Hunger Games.

Everything Lindy said has kinda clarified.

My mother asked me about a week ago when she started reading them, "Could you imagine our future like this? It's totally sick." If I'm being honest if we're talking about a thousand years or something I could see it being like that. Not people dying in a game but games similar to that and the horrid clothes and technology.

Sorry for double post but I can't edit. Has anyone noticed that Josh plays Peeta who is a great artist and in Bridge to Terabithia he also played an artist? Do you think Josh himself is a good drawer?