The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Hunger Games

I didn't watch Bridge to Terabithia, :o I don't know whether he is actually good at drawing. But he did mention in an interview that he can bake, especially a french apple pie, I remember. :P

I love the friendly chemistry that Josh and Jennifer have together. I love watching their interviews. They're hilarious together! And personally, I think they're just good as friends. I hate all the vibe about them dating. What's wrong with just being good friends?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb9oHexgqCM

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize its. Fantasy right? :P It's not suppossed to be realistic hahaha. Farthermore, I am curious, but why would you want the hunger games to happen In real life? You wrote that you didn't like it much because it's not something that would occur anytime soon. But why would we want that?? Should make you happy that we don't have to face something like the hunger game!

I'm too tired to explain myself.

One of the most interesting ways people connect to fantasy is that there are some "believable", or real, elements in it.

I never said i'd want the Hunger Games to occur in real life. I don't think it would be possible, because behavioral conditioning like that goes significantly against human morality. I thought it was interesting that the Hunger Games' premise developed on the fact that these people in Panem use people for sacrificial offering as a way to ensure a world without war, which I'm totally against and think is horrific; but, if you really think about it the whole description of the "past" in the movie and how hardship fell upon the land due to war and humanity was ended, as they knew it, and reborn is really similar to a concept I read of the very early paganistic and mystical cultures and religions.

I enjoyed the storyline, though. The protagonist, Katniss, makes me want to learn archery tbh. lol.

I'm too tired to explain myself.

One of the most interesting ways people connect to fantasy is that there are some "believable", or real, elements in it.

I understand your explanation and it makes sense but this sentence I disagree with. Too me the point of fiction is that it's unlike my reality. It takes me away to another place. If I wanted to read something realistic it would not be a fantasy book that's for sure. I think most people connect to fantasy because of the unbelievable, the magic. That's what makes it fantasy.

I do understand your explanation, but I still don't think it's very possible. its not meant to be so I guess I would never consider it that way since its just dystopian fiction.

I didn't watch Bridge to Terabithia, :o I don't know whether he is actually good at drawing. But he did mention in an interview that he can bake, especially a french apple pie, I remember. :P

I love the friendly chemistry that Josh and Jennifer have together. I love watching their interviews. They're hilarious together! And personally, I think they're just good as friends. I hate all the vibe about them dating. What's wrong with just being good friends?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb9oHexgqCM

I spent two days watching interviews. Jennifer makes me laugh so bad. I love the interview where her brother made her take shots before the Red Carpet and she talks about Vagina's. I'd never cop an actor saying things she does. She's just amazing!

You should watch Bridge to Terabithia I watched it when it first came out and my mother obsessed over it more than me. Josh does a great breakdown scene in it and at such a young age! I crushed on him for 2 years after that movie then it dissipated when he did. I thought he look darn nice in Journey to the Center of the Earth and now once again the crush is back. xD I originally watched that for Brendon Fraiser and when Josh was in it I was like OFFT! I won't be watching the second one though as I don't like Vanessa. D:

ANYWAY, Back to The Hunger Games...

At the end of the training session what would you think your score would be? If you've read the books you should know what stations there are. I'm also asking what would be your key station?

As for me I'd be pretty lost. I wouldn't know which station to go to and I'd be an easy target in any arena. I think my score would be a 4. In reality I am a baker though I love to do confectionery more than the bread side but where would that get me? I'm not like Peter I can't lift kilo bags of flower or am I good at Cake Dec. My lecturer made me carry a 2500kg bag of flower up to our kitchens from the basement (6 floors) and it took me a ridiculous amount of time. So I'm pretty weak.

I spent two days watching interviews. Jennifer makes me laugh so bad. I love the interview where her brother made her take shots before the Red Carpet and she talks about Vagina's. I'd never cop an actor saying things she does. She's just amazing!

You should watch Bridge to Terabithia I watched it when it first came out and my mother obsessed over it more than me. Josh does a great breakdown scene in it and at such a young age! I crushed on him for 2 years after that movie then it dissipated when he did. I thought he look darn nice in Journey to the Center of the Earth and now once again the crush is back. xD I originally watched that for Brendon Fraiser and when Josh was in it I was like OFFT! I won't be watching the second one though as I don't like Vanessa. D:

At the end of the training session what would you think your score would be? If you've read the books you should know what stations there are. I'm also asking what would be your key station?

As for me I'd be pretty lost. I wouldn't know which station to go to and I'd be an easy target in any arena. I think my score would be a 4. In reality I am a baker though I love to do confectionery more than the bread side but where would that get me? I'm not like Peter I can't lift kilo bags of flower or am I good at Cake Dec. My lecturer made me carry a 2500kg bag of flower up to our kitchens from the basement (6 floors) and it took me a ridiculous amount of time. So I'm pretty weak.

I SAW THAT INTERVIEW WITH JENNIFER TOO! So I know exactly what you're talking about! I also found all of her interviews so funny. She's full of spunk! :P She also talked about how she would get nervous and start peeing on herself.

Speaking of peeing :P did you know that Josh played a prank on her? He put a dead corpse (a mummy) in her bathroom and she got so freaked out she said she peed her pants. Jennifer is just so unlike any other actress out there. For one thing, I don't think she's afraid to say what's on her mind. She just says whatever and it's always funny whatever she says.

As for the stations.... I'd probably be in the camouflage station. I think that's where I'd exceed in the most. I actually went to a wildlife camp back when I was younger and learned a few tricks about concealing myself. But to be honest, just like you, I'd probably be very lost. My score wouldn't be past a 5. I'd say I'm pretty weak too. I'm not strong, but I've got some good endurance in me. But I can't sprint. I wouldn't know how to find food, or recognize whether something is poisonous or not. I know some of the basics, but I have a feeling that would't get me too far.

So do you think Josh and Jennifer should date? I'm just curious, since there are lots of rumours spreading around about the two of them spending time together. Honestly, I don't think they would. Jennifer already has a boyfriend, and they're perfectly fine together. There's no need for another episode of Twilight (when Kristen left her boyfriend for Robert). :D

Interesting question. I'm a decent boxer so I'd try to use that to my advantage, it wouldn't stand a chance against weapons but it's the best I have :mellow: My aiming isn't good, so archery would be pointless. If we grew up in Panem I imagine our skills and experiences would be quite different.

honestly i dont see josh and jennifer as a good couple i just see them in a brother-sister kind of way

and also there's something they left out in the movie which i just remembered, but i read the books a longgggg time ago so im not sure if im totally correct but, didnt peeta like loose a leg or something and he was quickly taken away from katniss?

Hmmm stations, that's an interesting question. Whatever I would do would probably be something physical since I dance and do yoga and I am a decent runner. I can climb pretty well as well. I would like to think I would be like Rue.

Lindy, that's are really good question about killing someone. I will now take this time to thank gd that we are not in this situation lol. Because no, I don't not think I could kill someone. In fact,it's not even something I really ever want to even consider!!!

I SAW THAT INTERVIEW WITH JENNIFER TOO! So I know exactly what you're talking about! I also found all of her interviews so funny. She's full of spunk! :P She also talked about how she would get nervous and start peeing on herself.

Speaking of peeing :P did you know that Josh played a prank on her? He put a dead corpse (a mummy) in her bathroom and she got so freaked out she said she peed her pants. Jennifer is just so unlike any other actress out there. For one thing, I don't think she's afraid to say what's on her mind. She just says whatever and it's always funny whatever she says.

As for the stations.... I'd probably be in the camouflage station. I think that's where I'd exceed in the most. I actually went to a wildlife camp back when I was younger and learned a few tricks about concealing myself. But to be honest, just like you, I'd probably be very lost. My score wouldn't be past a 5. I'd say I'm pretty weak too. I'm not strong, but I've got some good endurance in me. But I can't sprint. I wouldn't know how to find food, or recognize whether something is poisonous or not. I know some of the basics, but I have a feeling that would't get me too far.

So do you think Josh and Jennifer should date? I'm just curious, since there are lots of rumours spreading around about the two of them spending time together. Honestly, I don't think they would. Jennifer already has a boyfriend, and they're perfectly fine together. There's no need for another episode of Twilight (when Kristen left her boyfriend for Robert). :D

Haha, I've seen that peeing interview! She's just amazing! One of a kind. :D I haven't heard of that prank though! I watched an interview with Josh and Liam and they both said they were scared of her because she kept playing pranks on them all the time.

I'd like to see them together but there's loads of rumors out at the moment about who Josh is actually dating. I think they're an ideal fit. Their personalities are so similar!

Interesting question. I'm a decent boxer so I'd try to use that to my advantage, it wouldn't stand a chance against weapons but it's the best I have :mellow: My aiming isn't good, so archery would be pointless. If we grew up in Panem I imagine our skills and experiences would be quite different.

I have good stamina and I have gold trophies for running so I only just realised I found something I can do.... RUN! haha.

Also, do any of you think you'd actually kill someone? :mellow::blink:

I'd say no but when the time come I probably would. Whether it be I got the chance to save my life or to save someone I allied up with. I think I would.

So, I was listening to music the other day and I found some songs that were ideal to the books. One I thought went was 30 Seconds To Mars - The War.

I posted the lyrics underneath but I think this song fits well because the chorus fits to in the area, as they do fight to the death. When it names the victim etc etc that could be them naming the certain characters. The rest is self explanatory. xD

EDIT: I typed it in on Youtube just and I found an ideal video though it's not the whole song to explain it better.

A warning to the people

The good and the evil

This is war

To the soldier, the civillian

The martyr, the victim

This is war

It's the moment of truth and the moment to lie

The moment to live and the moment to die

The moment to fight, the moment to fight, to fight, to fight, to fight

To the right, to the left

We will fight to the death

To the Edge of the Earth

It's a brave new world from the last to the first

To the Edge of the Earth

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

A warning to the prophet, the liar, the honest

This is war

To the leader, the pariah, the victim, the messiah

This is war

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

From the last to the first

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

I do believe in the light

Raise your hands up to the sky

The fight is done

The war is won

Lift your hands

Towards the sun

Towards the sun

Towards the sun

Towards the sun

The war is won

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

A brave new world

The war is won

The war is won

A brave new world

I believe in nothing

Not the end and not the start

I believe in nothing

Not the earth and not the stars

I believe in nothing

Not the day and not the dark

I believe in nothing

But the beating of our hearts

I believe in nothing

One hundred suns until we part

I believe in nothing

Not in satan, not in god

I believe in nothing

Not in peace and not in war

I believe in nothing

But the truth of who we are

Edited by Hermione

Some of you may have heard me mention that one of my courses this semester in Uni is an African American studies course. The class is about their image on film throughout history. I was doing research for my term paper and when I was looking through recent news articles I cam across something disturbing. Have you guys heard about all the people who are disgusted by the fact that Rue was played by a black actress? People have been really vocal against the poor girl. I think it is horrifying that people are so angry. I am completely shocked that sort racism still exists today!! This actress is pretty young, so sad that she has to deal with this sort of hate. Thoughts anyone?

Yeah I heard that a while ago. On a website and someone silenced them by saying that the book states something about tanned skin or something. I couldn't remember exactly.

Some of you may have heard me mention that one of my courses this semester in Uni is an African American studies course. The class is about their image on film throughout history. I was doing research for my term paper and when I was looking through recent news articles I cam across something disturbing. Have you guys heard about all the people who are disgusted by the fact that Rue was played by a black actress? People have been really vocal against the poor girl. I think it is horrifying that people are so angry. I am completely shocked that sort racism still exists today!! This actress is pretty young, so sad that she has to deal with this sort of hate. Thoughts anyone?

Yeah, that made me furious. She's only just starting her career, it's so unfair. They were shocked that Cinna and Thresh were dark skinned, too. Some people think Jennifer is too 'fat' to be Katniss. I think it's good they chose someone who looks healthy, especially as so many young girls will watch these movies and have her as their role model.

Yeah, that made me furious. She's only just starting her career, it's so unfair. They were shocked that Cinna and Thresh were dark skinned, too. Some people think Jennifer is too 'fat' to be Katniss. I think it's good they chose someone who looks healthy, especially as so many young girls will watch these movies and have her as their role model.

I didn't know about Cinna and Thresh as well. People can be so narrowminded it's ridiculous! The comment on Jennifer doesn't surprise me because pop culture thinks everyone is too fat! But, agree with your point! It was a great choice to choose someone healthy looking for girls to look up to! It just makes me so angry that we are still dealing with this sort of thing in 2012.

I did hear about both in articles online. I think it's just absolutely ridiculous. People will criticize just about anything. I can't believe people are 'disgusted' that Rue was played by a young black actress. I can't get over the fact that racism is still out there, and there are people who can't turn their heads around. About Jennifer, yes indeed, people said she was too 'curvy'. I don't get it. We've been brainwashed by so many past media that girls should be portrayed as skinny in the social media. Skinny basically equals perfect. I like what Kim said, it is good they chose someone who looks healthy, someone new to look up to. In fact, I think Jennifer has a fabulous personality to go along with it.

I found this article about Rue. What did you originally think?

See those criticisms are extremely ignorant. Both characters are described as having dark skin, what were they expecting them to look like?

I did hear about both in articles online. I think it's just absolutely ridiculous. People will criticize just about anything. I can't believe people are 'disgusted' that Rue was played by a young black actress. I can't get over the fact that racism is still out there, and there are people who can't turn their heads around. About Jennifer, yes indeed, people said she was too 'curvy'. I don't get it. We've been brainwashed by so many past media that girls should be portrayed as skinny in the social media. Skinny basically equals perfect. I like what Kim said, it is good they chose someone who looks healthy, someone new to look up to. In fact, I think Jennifer has a fabulous personality to go along with it.

I found this article about Rue. What did you originally think?

Yeah I just read the article and I did say above that the book clearly stated about the skin. I just couldn't remember what the argument was fighting about. But everyone ignored my past few posts so it's all dandy. xD

Haha, I've seen that peeing interview! She's just amazing! One of a kind. :D I haven't heard of that prank though! I watched an interview with Josh and Liam and they both said they were scared of her because she kept playing pranks on them all the time.

I'd like to see them together but there's loads of rumors out at the moment about who Josh is actually dating. I think they're an ideal fit. Their personalities are so similar!

I have good stamina and I have gold trophies for running so I only just realised I found something I can do.... RUN! haha.

I'd say no but when the time come I probably would. Whether it be I got the chance to save my life or to save someone I allied up with. I think I would.

So, I was listening to music the other day and I found some songs that were ideal to the books. One I thought went was 30 Seconds To Mars - The War.

I posted the lyrics underneath but I think this song fits well because the chorus fits to in the area, as they do fight to the death. When it names the victim etc etc that could be them naming the certain characters. The rest is self explanatory. xD

EDIT: I typed it in on Youtube just and I found an ideal video though it's not the whole song to explain it better.

A warning to the people

The good and the evil

This is war

To the soldier, the civillian

The martyr, the victim

This is war

To the Edge of the Earth

It's a brave new world from the last to the first

To the Edge of the Earth

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

A warning to the prophet, the liar, the honest

This is war

To the leader, the pariah, the victim, the messiah

This is war

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

I do believe in the light

Raise your hands up to the sky

The fight is done

The war is won

Lift your hands

Towards the sun

Towards the sun

Towards the sun

Towards the sun

The war is won

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

To the right

To the left

To the edge of the earth

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

It's a brave new world

A brave new world

The war is won

The war is won

A brave new world

I believe in nothing

Not the end and not the start

I believe in nothing

Not the earth and not the stars

I believe in nothing

Not the day and not the dark

I believe in nothing

But the beating of our hearts

I believe in nothing

One hundred suns until we part

I believe in nothing

Not in satan, not in god

I believe in nothing

Not in peace and not in war

I believe in nothing

But the truth of who we are

Wow I actually completely missed this! (Sorry Jade!) I really like it. I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but it looks good and the song really does go along with it.

I do remember the book stating clearly about the skin colour too. I was expecting Rue to be the way she was portrayed. People just ignore that and go ahead and think all characters should be white. :/

I also noticed Rue's description when I first read the book. I never considered that she would be white when it clearly says she has tan skin. The book even describes Katniss and Gale to be somewhat dark as well! That is why the whole thing shocked me so much. Because I couldn't believe that so many people, who had read the book, were so angry. I mean it is clearly there!!! I just can't believe it's still going on. Even with it publicized more that Rue was described as dark in the book, people still aren't stopping. Ive seen new stuff pop up.

Wow I actually completely missed this! (Sorry Jade!) I really like it. I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but it looks good and the song really does go along with it.

I do remember the book stating clearly about the skin colour too. I was expecting Rue to be the way she was portrayed. People just ignore that and go ahead and think all characters should be white. :/

Haha when you quoted my post I never realized it was that big. :o I hated all the racist comments towards her. It was just plain harsh and actually ignorant of the readers for not paying attention.

My mother keeps saying that crushing on Josh again is just weird. She said yeah back in 2005-2008 that's fine but not now. Then I told her he's my age he's just 4 months older and that if we went the same school we'd be in the same year/class and she nearly fell off her seat. She thought he was like 24-25 or something. She said it's got to be the first time I've crushed on a celeb my age because usually they're like 30-40 odd. xD

I went on IMDB today and Catching Fire has been added to all their profiles. I'm so excited!!!!! Jennifer will start filming the new X-MEN soon though, it starts January 2013. She said in an interview they're filming X-MEN first so it doesn't clash with Catching Fire. Then it makes me wonder when they'll start Catching Fire as it comes out November next year? :S

Edited by Hermione

Well, I saw the movie and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was good as Katniss, and most of the other acting was decent. It was also mostly faithful to the book, except for the end. But the camera work was terrible. Too much closeup. And any director that employs that much "shaky-cam" technigue in a movie should be banned for life, or better yet, in prison for stealing moviegoers money. I don't buy Ross' explanation that he wanted the audience to see the world through Katniss' eyes. I don't stand one foot away from people when I talk to them, and even running, my eyes don't shake around so much that I can't see anything. I'm glad he won't be back.

Well, I saw the movie and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was good as Katniss, and most of the other acting was decent. It was also mostly faithful to the book, except for the end. But the camera work was terrible. Too much closeup. And any director that employs that much "shaky-cam" technigue in a movie should be banned for life, or better yet, in prison for stealing moviegoers money. I don't buy Ross' explanation that he wanted the audience to see the world through Katniss' eyes. I don't stand one foot away from people when I talk to them, and even running, my eyes don't shake around so much that I can't see anything. I'm glad he won't be back.

That's your opinion but I think your being way to harsh. I didn't like it either as I've already stated in places, but I wouldn't go as extreme to say what you did. I think it added to the hunger games touch but I also agree it wasn't nice to see all the time because it makes you feel a little sick. I am shocked to hear your 'rather disappointed' too. As the only thing you didn't like was the camera work. There's more to a film than it's cinematography, even if the cinematography portrays/presents the story and characters. I'm not denying what you said though, I respect your opinion it's just a tad too extreme for me.

Edited by Hermione

^It's ok to have varying opinions, even if they are more pronounced.

I think they were relying too much on the shaky-cam to elicit Katniss's feelings of trauma and disorientation. This can work well in certain situations, for instance in Requiem for a Dream. In others it can make you want to jump off a bridge, such as Cloverfield. I would say this movie falls more on the side of Cloverfield, although not nearly as annoying as that movie. I don't think it was masterfully employed and I definitely think it was overused, but if it were scaled back it would have potentially created the perfect disorienting feeling.

You should read what I write before you make a statement. I clearly stated I 'respect' his opinion and that I'm not denying it. I didn't say it wasn't okay. :yesyes: You're comment to me was unnecessary.