The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Hunger Games

I'm sure Dax read both comments, and his only comment that could be seen as directed at you is that 'it's ok to have different opinions'.

I agree with Dax the shaky-cam was overdone. If it had been used (moderately) for just the cornucopia scene, that could have been very effective in showing the frantic energy of the moment. When it's used so much for so many scenes though it's just annoying. To me, a well done movie is one where you can almost forget you're watching a movie. The characters come alive, and tell a story. Good cinematography should enhance that, not be a distraction. I liked the acting, Jennifer Lawrence was good as Katniss, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if it had been filmed differently.

Well, considering the subject matter, I don't think enjoy is the proper word. When I read the book, it had a strong emotional effect. I was sort of numb for a few days thinking about it. When I left the movie, I was mostly thinking about the headache I had from the jerky camera.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never read the rest of his post but I did say 'your comment to me.' So I know what part was directed at me. :P I'm surprised he tried to make a comment to me.

Edited by Hermione

Aw Arie :P

And Jade that's amazing. I want the poster so bad. I have a Mockingjay bracelet, and the three hard cover books of course. I want more though since that's all I have D: Although to be honest I'm just glad I have all three books. That's most important to me.

Aw Arie :P

And Jade that's amazing. I want the poster so bad. I have a Mockingjay bracelet, and the three hard cover books of course. I want more though since that's all I have D: Although to be honest I'm just glad I have all three books. That's most important to me.

Hehe I have a hoodie on the way and some other things. I'm obsessing over this bad. xD

I'm sorry if I break any discussion but i had to. Because every time I say how much I liked THG, they all answer stupidly like Oh you mean the Battle Royale ripoff or something like that it makes me upset. I know they have similarities, but only from what I've heard + watched a BR trailer, I haven't seen or read BR. But ofc read THG series.

Sorry I don't even know what i wanted when writing this but I just needed to get it off my chest. I. don'. care. :mad::angry: that they are similiar or even IF Collins did rip it off from BR. I still enjoyed the books and I'v been glad to have found a book that got me so :excited: !! And I don't want to called an EMO kid just bc I prefer THG.

OK I feel better now, I'm not mad at anyone here ofc!. ;)

Edited by trixie

I finally watched the Hunger Games!!

Here are my thoughts. I agree with what Dook and Dax said about the shaky camera. On one hand, it did help visually with the actual games. On the other hand there were times were I literally could not tell what was happening. I thought that everything was a bit quick too. Which I totally understand considering the fact that it is a movie. I would have loved to see a little more of the dynamics between people. The scene at the beginning with Gale and Katniss was great. The few shots of his face during the games were great. I actually think there was not enough between Katniss and Peeta. I would have loved a few more of the little things. For example, in the book the audience sees Katniss' reaction to Peeta's interview. The cave stuff was great though! Another little thing, I would have loved to seen the bits about the stew. How she loved it and then received it in the games for kissing Peeta.

I thought all the actors did a wonderful job with the parts. Jenifer really amazed me! She WAS Katniss. Even Prim and her mother were perfect in my head. I loved that they included the bit about how Katniss' mother got distant after her father's death. I LOVED Haymitch, Effie, and Cinna. Snow was good, but I wanted to feel a little more creeped out by him. He is supposed to be a little creepy. Rue was amazing! I think she was one of my favorite so all the critiques can go suck it lol. Kato was so hot!!!!! Yeah it was one of the only movies were I was pretty happy with every single actor.

Also, the footage of how they made and controlled the games was GREAT!!!! I thought that was an amazing touch and added a lot to the story. It was super cool to see all the technology behind it!

Well thats my 2 cents lol

I finally watched the Hunger Games!!

Here are my thoughts. I agree with what Dook and Dax said about the shaky camera. On one hand, it did help visually with the actual games. On the other hand there were times were I literally could not tell what was happening. I thought that everything was a bit quick too. Which I totally understand considering the fact that it is a movie. I would have loved to see a little more of the dynamics between people. The scene at the beginning with Gale and Katniss was great. The few shots of his face during the games were great. I actually think there was not enough between Katniss and Peeta. I would have loved a few more of the little things. For example, in the book the audience sees Katniss' reaction to Peeta's interview. The cave stuff was great though! Another little thing, I would have loved to seen the bits about the stew. How she loved it and then received it in the games for kissing Peeta.

I thought all the actors did a wonderful job with the parts. Jenifer really amazed me! She WAS Katniss. Even Prim and her mother were perfect in my head. I loved that they included the bit about how Katniss' mother got distant after her father's death. I LOVED Haymitch, Effie, and Cinna. Snow was good, but I wanted to feel a little more creeped out by him. He is supposed to be a little creepy. Rue was amazing! I think she was one of my favorite so all the critiques can go suck it lol. Kato was so hot!!!!! Yeah it was one of the only movies were I was pretty happy with every single actor.

Also, the footage of how they made and controlled the games was GREAT!!!! I thought that was an amazing touch and added a lot to the story. It was super cool to see all the technology behind it!

Well thats my 2 cents lol

I'm glad to hear you liked it! I agree. I think the actors were picked very nicely. There were a lot of parts of the romance they left out. But I feel like that was because they didn't want to make it look like it was all revolved around the romance; which it wasn't, of course. I'm glad they did include one kiss. Although honestly I would have loved to see more kisses, and maybe just a tiny bit more into the romance. I can't believe they left out when Katniss shouts "Peeta!" right after the announcement about the new rule. That to me would have had a really dramatic effect, but they left that part out. :o

Anyone have any news on when the DVD will be released?

Snow was good, but I wanted to feel a little more creeped out by him. He is supposed to be a little creepy.

Same, I didn't get a strong evil vibe from him. He'll have to be more creepy in the next two movies!

Anyone have any news on when the DVD will be released?

August apparently.

Here are my thoughts. I agree with what Dook and Dax said about the shaky camera. On one hand, it did help visually with the actual games. On the other hand there were times were I literally could not tell what was happening.

I actually did go back and see it again yesterday. This time I sat a lot further from the screen than I usually do. That seemed to help, the shakyness wasn't as annoying. Or perhaps I just knew it was coming so it didn't bother me as much.

I can't believe they left out when Katniss shouts "Peeta!" right after the announcement about the new rule. That to me would have had a really dramatic effect, but they left that part out. :o

She did say it softly. A shout would have been more dramatic, and would have fit the book better where she was instantly afraid someone had heard her. Maybe they just wanted to play up the romance part though.

I'm glad to hear you liked it! I agree. I think the actors were picked very nicely. There were a lot of parts of the romance they left out. But I feel like that was because they didn't want to make it look like it was all revolved around the romance; which it wasn't, of course. I'm glad they did include one kiss. Although honestly I would have loved to see more kisses, and maybe just a tiny bit more into the romance. I can't believe they left out when Katniss shouts "Peeta!" right after the announcement about the new rule. That to me would have had a really dramatic effect, but they left that part out. :o

You are probably correct about the romance bit. But, I still would have liked to see more. It sort of just happened. One second they were separated and the next she is kissing him. In the books we obviously got to read about her thoughts during that. I think if I hadn't read the books, I would have been confused.

I agree with that bit too! I forgot all about that part. I think it could have helped a lot. I think that they didn't really show enough of how Peeta or Katniss felt at all. Just a few more shots of their faces or something. A small conversation about how she changed her mind or idk. Something lol.

Same, I didn't get a strong evil vibe from him. He'll have to be more creepy in the next two movies!

I hope he will be!! I mean it the books it was really stressed that Katniss found him so creepy. I wanted to feel that too. I think they captured a little of it with her facial expressions at the very end. But, not nearly enough.

I actually did go back and see it again yesterday. This time I sat a lot further from the screen than I usually do. That seemed to help, the shakyness wasn't as annoying. Or perhaps I just knew it was coming so it didn't bother me as much.

Hmmmmm that is interesting. But, I think you shouldn't have to sit far away just so shakyness of a camera doesn't bother you, you know? I think that the shaking hurt the movie. Less is more sometimes.

What is everyone most excited to see in the next movies? Are there particular scenes from the books you are really looking forward too? What scene would you hate most to be left out?

She did say it softly. A shout would have been more dramatic, and would have fit the book better where she was instantly afraid someone had heard her. Maybe they just wanted to play up the romance part though.

Oh did she? I must have not heard it. Oops D:

I think that's rather interesting what you said about watching it the second time. I think that sometimes when you get used to things it doesn't bother you as much. Just like when you listen to something a second time or perhaps multiple times, you don't seem to hear it.

What is everyone most excited to see in the next movies? Are there particular scenes from the books you are really looking forward too? What scene would you hate most to be left out?

I know everyone is excited about Finnick. I'm excited to see the announcement of the 75th Hunger Games, and the arena scenes too.

I found Catching Fire really slow and even quite dull at times so this movie probably won't do much for me. I'm excited to see Mockingjay though, and of course, more Gale.

Scenes I'm looking forward to are when Beetee hacks into the Capitol's TV station, when Finnick comes forward, practically all the scenes where Snow is made a fool of. I hope they don't leave out Peeta planting Primroses, the Gale/Katniss kisses and Buttercup returning to 12 and comforting Katniss :sob:

I know everyone is excited about Finnick.

Yes!

I found Catching Fire really slow and even quite dull at times so this movie probably won't do much for me. I'm excited to see Mockingjay though, and of course, more Gale.

Scenes I'm looking forward to are when Beetee hacks into the Capitol's TV station, when Finnick comes forward, practically all the scenes where Snow is made a fool of. I hope they don't leave out Peeta planting Primroses, the Gale/Katniss kisses and Buttercup returning to 12 and comforting Katniss :sob:

Yes!

Agreed with all of this!!! I am excited to see more gale when she returns to 12 and all that. I also am excited to see the rest of e characters!!!!!

I am also excited to see all the riots and fighting. I think it will be exciting!

I'm curious to start reading the books now.

Btw, Peeta was in my dream the other morning. Driving me to school. He's so hawt :blush: . (The actor...since I've only seen the movie lol)

I'm opposite the second book is by far the best. There is always something happening, more gore and it's never boring. The worst book for me was the Mockingjay. I have to say that book was utterly boring. It took me so long to read it whereas the others took a day.

Edited by Hermione

Don't get me wrong I'm still a fan of the books but the second one will always be my favorite. A lot of people have complained about the third book though. People are saying it's impossible to make a feature length movie out of as well which I agree. Three people I know too have said they should either join it with the second one or not use it. I'm leaning more towards them not using it though. As the second is my favorite and I'd hate to see them spoil it with the 3rd. I have no idea how they're splitting it into two though? Then again it's just said to be 3 more movies coming out so I have no idea to which is in two parts but as their is already a set date for Catching Fire I assume it is Mockingjay?

For reasoning the reason why I don't like the third book is because in my opinion it's boring, nothing happens and it reminds me too much of the second Twilight book. Not for storyline but for the pure reason all Katniss does for three quarters of it is moan. The first two books she is portrayed and beautiful and proud and to me just so brilliant and then it just got spoiled with all that moaning. I have no idea how they'll put it into action all her angst and hatred for everything Gale does. But we shall see aye?

Edited by Hermione

I'm opposite the second book is by far the best. There is always something happening, more gore and it's never boring. The worst book for me was the Mockingjay. I have to say that book was utterly boring. It took me so long to read it whereas the others took a day.

I agree to this!

• 3 months later...