The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I know that this is a topic that doesn't effect many here, but I'd really appreciate anyone would be kind enough to take the time to watch this youtube video and to "like it".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXGBn-V_H8o&feature=colike

My neice goes to a small school in Central New York State and many of these small schools in Central New York are faced with severe budget cuts because of the struggling economy. Even if their budgets pass, they potentially face a situation where students may lose their art programs, drama programs, sports and many of the extra curicular activities that enrich their learning experience.

My neice is a junior this year at her school and was part of making this video... as much as this is for her future with one year left in school, it's also for the future of other students in these small central new york school districts for years to come.

Thank you SO MUCH to anyone who takes the time to view the video and to "like it" :3m_sie: . The more views they get and the more "likes" they get, the more attention it will bring to their cause.

If the mods think this post is inappropriate in any way I apologize. :doh:

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead

I'm a bit confused by the video. I know it brings to the forefront the struggling of the schools and the budget cuts, but there's not really a solution offered. I feel for them and a lot of schools. I live in California which is one of the hardest hit areas in the US given the current economic situation. In the last two years alone I've seen over 1/3 of my college classes cut and invaluable teachers laid off. I'm even thinking about entering into the educational field but given the dreary outlook I'm not so sure.

I suppose what I'm getting at is, awareness is good, but it's not really a solution. I sympathize, and I wish more money was put towards education, but given our current situation that's not likely to happen. Sure we can put more pressure on government officials to pour money into education, but that money's got to come from somewhere. It's just an all around sad situation we're in all across the board, from k-12 to college and beyond.

I hope everything works out for your niece. I'd suggest that they try sending the video to news outlets if you want more exposure. The forums aren't as super popular as they use to be ^.^.

I'm a bit confused by the video. I know it brings to the forefront the struggling of the schools and the budget cuts, but there's not really a solution offered. I feel for them and a lot of schools. I live in California which is one of the hardest hit areas in the US given the current economic situation. In the last two years alone I've seen over 1/3 of my college classes cut and invaluable teachers laid off. I'm even thinking about entering into the educational field but given the dreary outlook I'm not so sure.

I suppose what I'm getting at is, awareness is good, but it's not really a solution. I sympathize, and I wish more money was put towards education, but given our current situation that's not likely to happen. Sure we can put more pressure on government officials to pour money into education, but that money's got to come from somewhere. It's just an all around sad situation we're in all across the board, from k-12 to college and beyond.

I hope everything works out for your niece. I'd suggest that they try sending the video to news outlets if you want more exposure. The forums aren't as super popular as they use to be ^.^.

You make a lot of really good points Dax.

The video really isn't about presenting a solution. I probably should have mentioned that they're doing a lot more ground work... the video doesn't stand alone.. it's more about bringing attention to their cause and trying to get the attention of the local media too. They have already met several times with state legislators in Albany, the State Capital, and continue to push their agenda on the Upstate New York Politicians. A group of students from the student council come out to the state capital every couple of weeks and are petitioning for a meeting with the Govenor I believe. A number of op ed pieces have been written by students in local papers and I think the main reasons they need hits is just as another tool to help generate a groundswell of support. They are using a number of social media outlets to advertise their concerns. I'm not sure what kinds of financial fund raisers they may have going, but I'd imagine they are involved in trying to generate capital too.

My biggest reason for posting it here was a little way to show support for my niece who is really working hard to help her school keep these programs the kids love. I know it won't garner the attention it may have years ago on the ew (I mean mp) site, but hopefully every little bit helps, and ofc, I appreciate all who take the time to view it or like it. :)

Sorry Jon, you have my support of course but it won't let me see the video because there's legal issues with the music in it ? Imean here in Germany....

This is a nice video Jon thanks for sharing it! I do hope everything works out for your niece. The only reason I am skeptical of what they will be able to accomplish is because this is a much bigger problem than just one school. School all around the country have been facing cuts for years and continue to. The part of school is did in the US I never had art, music, or any of that sort of thing. Schools have been hit hard everywhere. While I do admire these kids for stepping up and trying to do something about it. I am skeptical about what will be done for only one school. Every school needs help. This is an issue that the Govt. must do something about on a large scale, not just for one school. Farther, if the govt. does end up helping this one school, what about all the other schools? What about all the other kids facing these same cuts?

I would "like" the video but I don't have a YouTube account. Sorry Jon! But I did watch it!

haha, as usual I'm doing a horrible job of explaining things. This video is just about their school and they are essentially fighting for their school's needs, but they are part of a consortium of small schools in upstate New York, all of whom are pushing for more funding from Albany to sustain their "non mandated" programs. A lot of the comments in the comments section come from other upstate New York schools who are in a similar fight, lending their support. I guess they can take the attitude that their efforts won't make a difference and they should give up, but I think there is something to be said and at least something to be learned for young people when they at least give it a fight. We need positive thoughts.. not skepticism or doubt. :)

Thanks a lot for trying to check out the video chris and thanks a lot for watching it Arie... and yes you do need a youtube account to be able to like it, and I certainly understand if people don't have that.

haha, as usual I'm doing a horrible job of explaining things. This video is just about their school and they are essentially fighting for their school's needs, but they are part of a consortium of small schools in upstate New York, all of whom are pushing for more funding from Albany to sustain their "non mandated" programs. A lot of the comments in the comments section come from other upstate New York schools who are in a similar fight, lending their support. I guess they can take the attitude that their efforts won't make a difference and they should give up, but I think there is something to be said and at least something to be learned for young people when they at least give it a fight. We need positive thoughts.. not skepticism or doubt. :)

Thanks a lot for trying to check out the video chris and thanks a lot for watching it Arie... and yes you do need a youtube account to be able to like it, and I certainly understand if people don't have that.

But, that is my exact point. They are fighting for one school when this is a pretty global issue. I am just pointing out that pretty much every school system is suffering and that this is a problem that is not going to be solved one school at a time. I love that these students are getting involved and pushing for change. However, this issue needs to be taken up on a national level, not just one school. That is all I am saying. Little will be done since this isn't just a one school situation it is an issue all of America is facing. This is a great start. Getting kids involved, but it is so much bigger then one school. I hope that maybe other kids will see this and do similar things for their school. Then if enough schools get involved around the US there could be huge changed. However, I just don't see things changing for one specific school when every school is suffering. I think the Govt. should focus on every school and fix the problem as a whole. I am not be skeptical for the sake of skepticism and doubt. This is the situation we have been facing in America for YEARS. I recognize, as do most people, that this is a situation that is bigger then one school. I do hope these kids can accomplish something, I do. But, the situation in the US right now does not make it seem like that is possible. I am not being negative, I am being realistic.

Yeah I would make one, but I wont use it!!! Sorry!!