The Emma-Watson.net Forum

In the Uk now we have this legislation/law that means all supermarkets have to hide all their tobacco products. In my supermarket where I work, our cigarette kiosk has sliding doors covering all of it, and as staff we are not allowed to open the doors for longer than 5 seconds each time, and can only have one door open at one time.

The brilliant reasoning behind this, is that the government and their experts think that by covering the cigarettes less people are likely to smoke, and less young people are likely to begin smoking because its not part of the culture around them. If they cant explicitly see cigarettes they think that they wont buy them or want them.

I think it is the most stupidest thing ive ever come across, even worse than the THINK 25 policy we have in my supermarket. I smoked from a young age, and I still have the odd packet from time to time - and i wish i could tell the idiots who implemented this that if someone wants to smoke they will do. And by hiding them, your making it far more exciting to buy and have.

Idiots lol. What do you guys think.

Link to a article on it. The Sun

I actually don't think its a bad thing to do to be honest, I don't think it will have a great effect either way, I can't see it stopping or starting people smoking.

However I don't see why they shouldn't keep it out of sight. Smoking is becoming less and less acceptable in this country, yes not to an amazing extent where people are being lynched for smoking (but I don't think they should be) but it is a good thing that its not as acceptable as it used to be.

Seems a bit odd to have a five second rule. I don't think it will have that much effect. When I started smoking(I quit almost two years ago) it wasn't because I did or didn't see any packs but because someone offered me a cigarette. If people want to smoke they will and making stupid rules like this will at best only highlight smoking.

And by hiding them, your making it far more exciting to buy and have.

:yesyes: i agree with this, and even if the cigs are hidden in stores, people see them everywhere else on the streets and such. people are smoking everywhere; you can't hide something as obvious as that.

(I quit almost two years ago) .

congrats :3m_sie:

Yet another piece of useless legislation brought in by the Tories...

I'm 13, I know people my age that smoke, this crap really won't stop them smoking, for a start they get their cigarettes from their older brothers that can legally smoke. But at the end of the day, when they are legally allowed to purchase tobacco, a stupid piece of plastic covering up those products will not deter them from smoking, and as long as people are smoking on the streets, children will know what a cigarette is, so unless you ban smoking (which will never happen), there will always be those who smoke.

I think it is the most stupidest thing ive ever come across, even worse than the THINK 25 policy we have in my supermarket. I smoked from a young age, and I still have the odd packet from time to time - and i wish i could tell the idiots who implemented this that if someone wants to smoke they will do. And by hiding them, your making it far more exciting to buy and have.

Idiots lol. What do you guys think.

Seems a bit odd to have a five second rule. I don't think it will have that much effect. When I started smoking(I quit almost two years ago) it wasn't because I did or didn't see any packs but because someone offered me a cigarette. If people want to smoke they will and making stupid rules like this will at best only highlight smoking.

One of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard in the anti-smoking campaign. If they want to prevent people to stop smoking particularly younger people, simply hiding them won't work at all. When I started smoking, I had my friends buy packs for me. I wasn't looking at the different brands or the mere presence of tobacco in order to buy a pack. Also, most people who smoke already have a preferred brand and such. Hiding the tobacco racks won't do much. People will just ask for their pack and be on their merry way.

---

On a similar note, the US and Australia engaged in their new anti-smoking campaigns. The US launched various new PSA adverts on TV with graphic scenes of people who were affected from smoking (interviews with people who have stomas, amputees from tobacco use, etc.).

Australia just passed legislation that forces all tobacco companies (cigarettes) to sell their packs in a uniform packaging: plain brown paper packaging with nothing but warning labels all over it. This is a nightmare from a business point of view. The various cigarette brands no longer will have a way to differentiate their product from the competition. A legal suit is now underway against the government on the grounds of being unconstitutional (don't know what that'll mean since I do not know the Australian constitution). To put it into perspective think of it like this: Ferrari, Nissan, BMW, and Ford will all have to sell their cars that looks exactly the same. All the cars sold by those brands will be sold to the public in a Toyota Corrola body. It's a stupid idea. Australia along with Singapore already forces tobacco companies selling their cigarettes there to print the packaging with graphic images of diseased lungs, mouths....and yes feet.

Now because of the way the United States are organized- the states do have certain powers aside from federal powers. Back in 2007 I believe, Texas imposed a tobacco tax hike just on cigarettes. It made a pack of cigarettes go from $3.00 a pack to almost $6.50 a pack on average. This campaign did have positive effects for everyone: it convinced some people to at least cut down on smoking from an economic standpoint without leaving the tobacco companies sitting on their hands (it maintained a free market). The tax hike also generated potentially higher tax revenues for the state (I didn't research the results from the tax raise but I'm sure it was substantial.)

----

You know what I thin?. If people smoke, let them. They know full well the dangers of smoking and if they die prematurely, they've been warned. I've been warned, I know full well the risks of smoking but I still do it. It's no different than the stupid lawsuits against fast food chains because their food made people fat. -_-

Edited by sirbenedictvs

I think everybody seems to agree, that this is a silly piece of legislation. Lets hide cigarettes,and pretend that they don't exist, lol :rofl:

It wont stop young people from smoking, that has to be done by education about the dangers of the habit.

They might as well hide alcohol, which young people like as well, it would stop all that nasty *binge drinking* :P