The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Rules of Magic

So, at this moment I'm rereading the whole Harry Potter series as a sort of: Can I still like it now everything is settled down. As some of you might know I was very disappointed with the sixth book and the seventh one did not really do anything for me. Anyway, in book 7 suddenly seemingly out of nowhere Hermione needs to remind Ron(a guy who was born in wizard family!) that it's impossible to conjure food out of nothing because of Principal Exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration.

And that just bugs me!

Let me explain, aside from that fact that Ron of all people should know these kind of things, this is the first time those rules were mentioned, while they kind of seem important to know, as a wizard or as a reader. I would think that the last book of the series would a little bit too late to introduce to such a principle. Also, the rule had been broken before when Mrs. Weasley was pouring out sauce from her wand in an earlier book.

So, did Rowling make up this rule on the spot just to make it more difficult for Harry, Ron and Hermione? Or, was this principle always in place and she messed up with the Mrs. Weasley part?

(this is not Rowling bashing by the way, I just hate it in general when stories don't seem to follow their own rules. Like Superman IV where he suddenly has Repairing-Wall-Of-China vision. And I can accept that no one recognizes Superman when he is wearing glasses, so this is not about not wanting to suspend my disbelief)

LOL

While I don't know about the Harry Potter story, I can definitely relate to that :blink: WTF - feeling.

Even a science-fiction/supernatural universe should be consistent within itself.