The Emma-Watson.net Forum

i wish they would show more of the medal ceremonies and more of the different countries competing!!

i kinda feel bad that everyones giving michael phelps a hard time. he's still amazing just not doing as great as he could have.

i was watching the mens gymnastics and the ukrainian team look like they're 12 year olds lol

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing that the US teams are having a tougher time this Olympics in their stronger sports. Both mens and womens beach volleyball are facing stiffer competition (watching the mens having to make extra effort against Spain right now). Swimming and womens gymnastics obviously have had their hiccups too. Hats off to several of the GB teams giving a pretty good effort getting places on the podium especially their mens gymnastics.

----

On a side note, watching a few of the fencing bouts with American and Canadian athletes, makes me feel a bit old. I remember seeing those kids being 12-13 years old back when I competed.

Edited by The Midnight Q

I'm seeing that the US teams are having a tougher time this Olympics in their stronger sports. Both mens and womens beach volleyball are facing stiffer competition (watching the mens having to make extra effort against Spain right now). Swimming and womens gymnastics obviously have had their hiccups too. Hats off to several of the GB teams giving a pretty good effort getting places on the podium especially their mens gymnastics.

----

On a side note, watching a few of the fencing bouts with American and Canadian athletes, makes me feel a bit old. I remember seeing those kids being 12-13 years old back when I competed.

Apparently I must be watching different Olympics then you are. Misty and Kerri have still never dropped a set, much less a match, in Olympic play. And Dallhauser and Rogers are older and recovering from injuries, yet still undefeated. And women's gymnastics? Seriously? It was never even close. Even the first night. That was the largest smackdown since 1960. And swimming is cyclical. Look at Australia. Where have they been this Olympics. Phelps has not been what we've come to expect, but he didn't put anywhere near as much into it this time around. We're still, along with China, lapping the field in medal count. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling China is going to lose at least two swimming medals, again.

As for your spoiler. I know how you feel. I ran track against a former Olympic 100 meter champ in high school. I'll plead the fifth on who to keep from incriminating my self, but you get the picture.

And to those complaining about no big events shown live. You can forget it. Except for possibly on the weekends there won't be. TV is all about selling commercial time. And you make exponentially more money in prime time. Plus you want the most people possible to be able to see it. Even the 1980 Miracle On Ice hockey game was tape delayed to play during prime time. The game actually took place early afternoon.

And to those complaining about no big events shown live. You can forget it. Except for possibly on the weekends there won't be. TV is all about selling commercial time. And you make exponentially more money in prime time. Plus you want the most people possible to be able to see it. Even the 1980 Miracle On Ice hockey game was tape delayed to play during prime time. The game actually took place early afternoon.

Yeah I realize that and I know they won't change it but my point is in the digital age where twitter, facebook, and even online news outlets dominate it's impossible to keep results secret before prime time comes around (especially on the west coast where I live.) The names of winners trend on twitter, people from other countries/east coast update statuses congratulating or chastising athletes, and then on the front page of websites, AOL, ESPN (more obvious, I've avoided this one because of course a sports site is going to post sports results), MSN, and even CNN have posted up results right after the event, events that are held till prime time. I've even tried cutting myself off from the online world but there are news outlets on TV that still report the results (NBC excluded, they've done a pretty good job of keeping those events hush which should be expected from the station showing the Olympics). Any who I digress, when you learn the results before the event takes place a lot of the excitement and drama get cut out. I'm just annoyed given the technological advances of our age that make it hard to maintain that excitement of not knowing who's going to win or lose or who might just pull off the impossible.

Edit: I will admit lately news sites have been better about spoiler alerts, but even then they'll have stupid titles like "one of these two swimmers got gold" and again when you know the odds are 50/50 between two people the excitement diminishes.

On a different note, hell yeah Women's gymnastics. They blew the competition away.

Apparently I must be watching different Olympics then you are. Misty and Kerri have still never dropped a set, much less a match, in Olympic play. And Dallhauser and Rogers are older and recovering from injuries, yet still undefeated. And women's gymnastics? Seriously? It was never even close. Even the first night. That was the largest smackdown since 1960. And swimming is cyclical. Look at Australia. Where have they been this Olympics. Phelps has not been what we've come to expect, but he didn't put anywhere near as much into it this time around. We're still, along with China, lapping the field in medal count. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling China is going to lose at least two swimming medals, again.

Oh no, May-Treanor/Walsh-Jennings are in no way seeing any competition at all these games. I was talking more about Ross/Kessy and I'm sure they're dominating as well. Albeit they are doing exceptionally well but I do believe that Rogers/Dallhauser are facing better competition since Beijing. But in my honest opinion though, the US beach volleyball program is so strong they should be wiping the floor with the other teams rather than winning by 2-1 in each game. (I sound like someone I debated with on these very forums 4 years ago about the US basketball "Dream Team"; I was praising the team whereas the other guy was disappointed that the US team wasn't winning by 56 points in each game.)

Hmm, I guess I don't know much about gymnastics as I should.

As far as Phelps, I didn't have much expectations out of him these Olympics. He's already past his prime which was 2008. On the note of Australia, they've never really been much of a major contender during these games. The eyes of the world came down to Agnel and France seeing a bit of rivalry in the pool between USA and France since Beijing.

^For Gymnastics? Yeah.

I missed the first hour because of crappy work but saw the two final rotations. Plenty of coverage of everyone, Romania had some real solid stuff, and easily had the oldest competitors.

Did they ever show Romania compete? i didnt see them but i only caught the end

Depends how your watching it. We all see a different Olympics depending on where we are. I was thinking about that last night.

Oh they showed Romania compete. I caught it during the late night encore of the entire event around 2am CST. The primetime showing had to be cut down because of time I guess (provided swimming highlights were also covered in primetime)

TEAM CANADA IS TAKING ALL YO BRONZES, WATCH OUT.

I love us. We get so excited over being 4th or 5th place in Canada. When we medal, we FLIP. RIGHT. OUT.

Bronze = Canada's Gold. Gold = Canada's OMGWTFTHISISTHEBESTTHINGEVER. :P

i didnt get to see romania compete in the gymnastics but over the years they have been the best. when i was watching it, russia seemed kinda bad so i was suprised that they got silver and romania got bronze

Edited by Rena

i didnt get to see romania compete in the gymnastics but over the years they have been the best. when i was watching it, russia seemed kinda bad so i was suprised that they got silver and romania got bronze

I think some announcers were saying that the Romanian women have always earned a medal in gymnastics since the 70s.

USA men's basketball is suppose to start around 5pm EST, I think they are showing it live so plan accordingly to your time zone. Usually they air it on the main channel or NBC sports.

Basically it should be on in an hour.

...I feel sorry for Nigera's basketball.

29 threes, now that's beasting it. Carmelo may have had 10 of those, but everyone was contributing. It was crazy.

Also amazing performance by Gabby Douglas, well deserved for her in the all around.

Proud East Coaster here...Gabby from Virginia Beach-go Gabby!! But even cooler-Katie Ledeky!!!! :) she is from not just my state but my county and attends the girl's Catholic school I played against when I was in HS...we are very proud of Katie!!!!!! :)

what did you guys think of the cycling race? did you think "britain cheated"?

Bradley Wiggins's win in the time trial? Or do you mean the womens track cycling?

-----

Congratulations to Farah of Great Britain winning gold in 10,000m, a 1-2 finish with training partner Rupp of the US! First Brit to ever win the event and only the 3rd American in 100 years to medal.

Edited by The Midnight Q