Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • Mood::If I dont like it, then it must be crap
  • LocationNorth Island, New Zealand

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

So annoying. I cant watch hardly any of the Gymnastics live because its on at like 5am and I cant watch the replays because of my damn job! So much frustration. Really wanted to watch McKayla kill it

totes bffs with arie

"That's because they have no class like us farm animal lovers" - Sammy

Posted Image

The E-Family I forgot I had.
Sisters Jade Sarah Brothers Andrew Wife Sammy Farm Buddy BoMa Pet Goat Chris
I am Sterre's pet Armadillo

by the way i hate alcohol, just thought i would mention that

#42 Dax

Dax

Forum Founder

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Mood::Drunk and Happy ^.^
  • LocationSea World, I hang with Shamu

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:41 AM

I am getting super annoyed they aren't showing a lot of the big events live. I can understand more people will watch in prime time, but in the age of FB and twitter it's impossible not to know the results before you see them happen. It takes all the excitement out of it. Even news websites report the results right after it happens ~.~, I'm trying to avoid all media right now erghhhh. (I'd stream it live, but streaming live on a computer screen isn't the same as watching it with friends/family in a living room).

Any who, I think Jordan will come through for the team. I hope she's the type of person who makes people pay for not allowing her to pass rather than packing it all in. And I understand the rule since certain countries like Romania, Russia, China, and the US dominate the all around and they want to diversify the field, but that doesn't make the game competitive. You throw more average players into the mix who are going to be crushed by the two participants from those countries anyways, so in the end what's really the point except to say "hey, we've diversified and equalized it for all countries at the cost of true competition." When it comes down to it, the individual all around is based on an individuals performance regardless of their country. Have the best of the best go at it, even if they are all from the US, China, Russia, and Romania, they aren't competing against a country but against each other.

#43 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Mood::giggidy
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

I am getting super annoyed they aren't showing a lot of the big events live. I can understand more people will watch in prime time, but in the age of FB and twitter it's impossible not to know the results before you see them happen. It takes all the excitement out of it. Even news websites report the results right after it happens ~.~, I'm trying to avoid all media right now erghhhh. (I'd stream it live, but streaming live on a computer screen isn't the same as watching it with friends/family in a living room).

Any who, I think Jordan will come through for the team. I hope she's the type of person who makes people pay for not allowing her to pass rather than packing it all in. And I understand the rule since certain countries like Romania, Russia, China, and the US dominate the all around and they want to diversify the field, but that doesn't make the game competitive. You throw more average players into the mix who are going to be crushed by the two participants from those countries anyways, so in the end what's really the point except to say "hey, we've diversified and equalized it for all countries at the cost of true competition." When it comes down to it, the individual all around is based on an individuals performance regardless of their country. Have the best of the best go at it, even if they are all from the US, China, Russia, and Romania, they aren't competing against a country but against each other.

Well I've found that I was able to catch quite a few live events at the various NBC affiliates. I was able to catch a few boxing bouts, Men's sabre fencing, archery, etc... and table tennis (never thought I'd say something like this but the match I saw between USA and China was pretty intense) Apparently Bill Gates was at the event cheering on Ariel Hsing.

Edited by sirbenedictvs, 31 July 2012 - 03:05 AM.

Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#44 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:32 AM

Dax, if you go to the NBC Olympics website you can see what they are showing live. They have it set up pretty nicely. And there is a number of different sports being shown live. That being said, they chose weird ones. I'm guessing it has more to do with time than anything else.

I watched a little bit of men's gymnastics tonight when I got home from rehearsal. Their muscles are just insane. Some of the, we're pretty amazing. Not just the Americans. There was this one ukrainian guy, I am sure everyone already heard about this, he was incredible.

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#45 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

I actually liked that quite a bit of these live streams do have their respective announcers that actually know about the sport now. I remember that in 2008, especially in fencing there was little to no calls. And the calls that were made were by announcers who's only experience in fencing was 007 in Die Another Day. >.>
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#46 Dax

Dax

Forum Founder

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

Yeah they show certain things live, but generally the bigger stuff like gymnastics, beach volley ball (depending on who's playing), and finals for swimming are held for prime time. All part of the ratings game I suppose. I've caught a bit of water polo, field hockey, boxing, and indoor volley ball live so it's all good.

Spoiler

#47 Tom™

Tom™

Power Poster

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Great Britain are sucking

bfs2eq.jpg

#48 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

^At least you're getting medals. Unlike New Zealand...

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#49 Tom™

Tom™

Power Poster

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

^At least you're getting medals. Unlike New Zealand...

Yeah but, everything is full of "aw not quite good enough from Great Britain, not quite living up to expectations but they gave it their best" I'm sure we over estimate everyone lol

Yesterday in the Gymnastics we won Bronze, then Japan messed up their last thing which meant we got put up to Silver! then Japan appealed and GB went back down to Bronze, and I was just like "How typical is that?"

Oh and China have won another Gold since I last looked at the table

GB still resting on a Silver and 2 Bronze

bfs2eq.jpg

#50 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yeah they show certain things live, but generally the bigger stuff like gymnastics, beach volley ball (depending on who's playing), and finals for swimming are held for prime time. All part of the ratings game I suppose. I've caught a bit of water polo, field hockey, boxing, and indoor volley ball live so it's all good.

Spoiler

I feel like that has to do with timing more than anything else. I could be wrong though.

Agreed about men's gymnastics, compared to our girls especially. But, I still can't believe some of the stuff they can do, ouch.

thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#51 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

i wish they would show more of the medal ceremonies and more of the different countries competing!!

i kinda feel bad that everyones giving michael phelps a hard time. he's still amazing just not doing as great as he could have.
i was watching the mens gymnastics and the ukrainian team look like they're 12 year olds lol
For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

#52 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm seeing that the US teams are having a tougher time this Olympics in their stronger sports. Both mens and womens beach volleyball are facing stiffer competition (watching the mens having to make extra effort against Spain right now). Swimming and womens gymnastics obviously have had their hiccups too. Hats off to several of the GB teams giving a pretty good effort getting places on the podium especially their mens gymnastics.

----

Spoiler

Edited by The Midnight Q, 31 July 2012 - 09:17 PM.

Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#53 jayhawk

jayhawk

Novice Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

I'm seeing that the US teams are having a tougher time this Olympics in their stronger sports. Both mens and womens beach volleyball are facing stiffer competition (watching the mens having to make extra effort against Spain right now). Swimming and womens gymnastics obviously have had their hiccups too. Hats off to several of the GB teams giving a pretty good effort getting places on the podium especially their mens gymnastics.

----

Spoiler

Apparently I must be watching different Olympics then you are. Misty and Kerri have still never dropped a set, much less a match, in Olympic play. And Dallhauser and Rogers are older and recovering from injuries, yet still undefeated. And women's gymnastics? Seriously? It was never even close. Even the first night. That was the largest smackdown since 1960. And swimming is cyclical. Look at Australia. Where have they been this Olympics. Phelps has not been what we've come to expect, but he didn't put anywhere near as much into it this time around. We're still, along with China, lapping the field in medal count. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling China is going to lose at least two swimming medals, again.

As for your spoiler. I know how you feel. I ran track against a former Olympic 100 meter champ in high school. I'll plead the fifth on who to keep from incriminating my self, but you get the picture.

And to those complaining about no big events shown live. You can forget it. Except for possibly on the weekends there won't be. TV is all about selling commercial time. And you make exponentially more money in prime time. Plus you want the most people possible to be able to see it. Even the 1980 Miracle On Ice hockey game was tape delayed to play during prime time. The game actually took place early afternoon.
Mankind can be counted on to assert, with vigor, it's God given right to be stupid.

#54 Dax

Dax

Forum Founder

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

And to those complaining about no big events shown live. You can forget it. Except for possibly on the weekends there won't be. TV is all about selling commercial time. And you make exponentially more money in prime time. Plus you want the most people possible to be able to see it. Even the 1980 Miracle On Ice hockey game was tape delayed to play during prime time. The game actually took place early afternoon.

Yeah I realize that and I know they won't change it but my point is in the digital age where twitter, facebook, and even online news outlets dominate it's impossible to keep results secret before prime time comes around (especially on the west coast where I live.) The names of winners trend on twitter, people from other countries/east coast update statuses congratulating or chastising athletes, and then on the front page of websites, AOL, ESPN (more obvious, I've avoided this one because of course a sports site is going to post sports results), MSN, and even CNN have posted up results right after the event, events that are held till prime time. I've even tried cutting myself off from the online world but there are news outlets on TV that still report the results (NBC excluded, they've done a pretty good job of keeping those events hush which should be expected from the station showing the Olympics). Any who I digress, when you learn the results before the event takes place a lot of the excitement and drama get cut out. I'm just annoyed given the technological advances of our age that make it hard to maintain that excitement of not knowing who's going to win or lose or who might just pull off the impossible.

Edit: I will admit lately news sites have been better about spoiler alerts, but even then they'll have stupid titles like "one of these two swimmers got gold" and again when you know the odds are 50/50 between two people the excitement diminishes.

Spoiler

#55 The Midnight Q

The Midnight Q

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • LocationQuahog, RI

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

Apparently I must be watching different Olympics then you are. Misty and Kerri have still never dropped a set, much less a match, in Olympic play. And Dallhauser and Rogers are older and recovering from injuries, yet still undefeated. And women's gymnastics? Seriously? It was never even close. Even the first night. That was the largest smackdown since 1960. And swimming is cyclical. Look at Australia. Where have they been this Olympics. Phelps has not been what we've come to expect, but he didn't put anywhere near as much into it this time around. We're still, along with China, lapping the field in medal count. Unfortunately I have a bad feeling China is going to lose at least two swimming medals, again.

Oh no, May-Treanor/Walsh-Jennings are in no way seeing any competition at all these games. I was talking more about Ross/Kessy and I'm sure they're dominating as well. Albeit they are doing exceptionally well but I do believe that Rogers/Dallhauser are facing better competition since Beijing. But in my honest opinion though, the US beach volleyball program is so strong they should be wiping the floor with the other teams rather than winning by 2-1 in each game. (I sound like someone I debated with on these very forums 4 years ago about the US basketball "Dream Team"; I was praising the team whereas the other guy was disappointed that the US team wasn't winning by 56 points in each game.)

Spoiler

As far as Phelps, I didn't have much expectations out of him these Olympics. He's already past his prime which was 2008. On the note of Australia, they've never really been much of a major contender during these games. The eyes of the world came down to Agnel and France seeing a bit of rivalry in the pool between USA and France since Beijing.
Posted Image
~Thanks Jade~

#56 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

US Womens Gymnastics were just miles above everyone else. No competition there!

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#57 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm so excited for the "fab five"!!! I can't wait for individuals tomorrow!

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#58 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Did they ever show Romania compete? i didnt see them but i only caught the end
For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

#59 Monkey Cartwheels

Monkey Cartwheels

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

^For Gymnastics? Yeah.
I missed the first hour because of crappy work but saw the two final rotations. Plenty of coverage of everyone, Romania had some real solid stuff, and easily had the oldest competitors.

totes bffs with arie

Posted Image

#60 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Did they ever show Romania compete? i didnt see them but i only caught the end

Depends how your watching it. We all see a different Olympics depending on where we are. I was thinking about that last night.

thanksarie.jpg
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users