The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Suggestions, Questions for Emma's Official site

Well, I did think of a few ?'s:

1. Would you like to work with Johnny Depp? I know he's always working with Tim Burton/Helena Bonham Carter in fun/cutting

edge movies.

2. While you were working on HP, did the older cast members ie:Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Julie Walters, Emma Thompson etc. help

you and give you advice while filming different scenes?? Would you like to work with the older cast members in any

upcoming projects they might be working on? I know you said Emma Thompson, who shares your birthdate, is your favorite

role model. Can you see yourself collaborating with her on writing a script and acting with her in a movie?

3. I love your middle name, Duerre. It's beautiful and sounds like a surname. Were you named after your grandmother?

4. Do you, or are you learning to ride a unicycle? ;)

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jo,

spent last night with the "Biography" of Emma by David Nolan. 277 pages about the life of Emma. From beeing a baby up to summer 2011. I repeat my question: is this a official bio about Emma with her blessing (it is sometimes written in a style, you could think, she talked to the author) or is it an "unofficial" bio, with much imagination from the writer?

Thanks!

Hi Jo,

spent last night with the "Biography" of Emma by David Nolan. 277 pages about the life of Emma. From beeing a baby up to summer 2011. I repeat my question: is this a official bio about Emma with her blessing (it is sometimes written in a style, you could think, she talked to the author) or is it an "unofficial" bio, with much imagination from the writer?

Thanks!

It's not an official biography. If it were, it would have been announced before the book was made and released and Emma would have mentioned it. I don't think she'll be releasing any biographies in the near future as she is very private about her personal life(hence why she wants her fans to ask about her career her rather than anything personal).

I hate the unofficial biographies...I mean it without the person's blessing...if they wanted bios about themselves, they would do it themselves.

JKR was unauthorized in a TV movie...I just think it is cool they do that to people without their ok.

wait so i was reading some of the questions and answers on her facebook and i was confused bc one question was about what happened with the beauty and the beast, and emma said the director is editing it or something does that mean emma is in it? i couldnt read all of the 10000000000000000 comments she had on their and half of those comments were people being really stupid/gross and immature.

oh ok thanks!

Actually that's not true. We don't have any idea of she is or isn't doing the film. Emma has not decided yet. Jo even wrote on one of the threads on this forum that it's still up in the air. It depends on when the script is finished, it still isn't. Until the script is finished, not official decision will be made. Apparently Del Toro takes along time with his scripts.

I agree with you 150% - but I think, there is no feature in FB to sort out such things.... The only way could be to enter the questions on her homepage and there is a little program for sorting out... Because doing this by hand (means, reading 11.000 "questions") is simply impossible.

On thing; the main reason for "Ask Emma" is in my opinion - not only to get news from her about her work, but also a little bit of feeling, that she is talking to us "herself". So these "twitter-like" answers are a little bit disappointing, not mentioning the "real content" of the answer. I refer to Question/Answer Nr. 1, which was more about the schedule of the director/writer than about Emma herself.

I know that Emma is very busy and has many other things in mind, but to write the following took me 1 min and 45 seconds:

(This is a fictional answer!!)

Hu guys, sitting here on set - thank you so much for more then 11.000 answers. B&B will be one of my next films and I love it - I loved the book as a kid and the Disney-movie was a favourite. I'm curious who will me "my beast". Del Toro is writing the script right now, so we expect shooting in 2013. That's for now. Keep on asking!....

(This is a fictional answer!!)

But, as we say here in Austria: "Rom was also not build in one day!" means, in the end "Ask Emma" will be a great feature on her homepage.

You can't... just... make up her personality??? :blink: You said you are in PR (as I said, I work in marketing, so they're under the same umbrella), but a lot of what you suggested in this thread is a bit much to be honest. Doing well for your client means streamlining and making the experience easy and comfortable FOR THEM. Do I have really big ideas for things I think my clients should do? Of course. Are they always realistic? Of course not. People are busy and Emma is likely busier than many. The job of someone who helps manage media presence for other people (which is my job, and Jo's job and apparently your job) is to TAKE AWAY some of that stress, not add to it.

I think you guys are doing an excellent job, Jo. The content has been great. I find it totally refreshing. It's professional and informative. I think people just need to realize that Emma is never going to be their BFF and send them a text like "ohai just off to the pub with some friends x." Yes, it's about interacting with fans, but it's also about maintaining a professional image, having control over how the press and public perceive her, and advancing her career.

I don't waltz into the office, see someone I am not close with, and immediately start pouring out personal details of my life to them. And I am a blogger, so yes I share more details than most. So, I don't see why anyone would expect Emma to do so in what is essentially an extension of her workplace. :P

You can't... just... make up her personality??? :blink: You said you are in PR (as I said, I work in marketing, so they're under the same umbrella), but a lot of what you suggested in this thread is a bit much to be honest. Doing well for your client means streamlining and making the experience easy and comfortable FOR THEM. Do I have really big ideas for things I think my clients should do? Of course. Are they always realistic? Of course not. People are busy and Emma is likely busier than many. The job of someone who helps manage media presence for other people (which is my job, and Jo's job and apparently your job) is to TAKE AWAY some of that stress, not add to it.

I think you guys are doing an excellent job, Jo. The content has been great. I find it totally refreshing. It's professional and informative. I think people just need to realize that Emma is never going to be their BFF and send them a text like "ohai just off to the pub with some friends x." Yes, it's about interacting with fans, but it's also about maintaining a professional image, having control over how the press and public perceive her, and advancing her career.

I don't waltz into the office, see someone I am not close with, and immediately start pouring out personal details of my life to them. And I am a blogger, so yes I share more details than most. So, I don't see why anyone would expect Emma to do so in what is essentially an extension of her workplace. :P

My thoughts exactly, very well said!

A lot of people enjoy it when she discloses something personal, she can either embrace that or not, there's not much of a discussion there. It will be interesting to see her interviews after Perks is released, to see if she's as open as she used to be.

@ling: I see it a little bit different. Because, in the case of an actor/actress (not specially Emma) it is important to "sell the product" (in this case the personality, the characters, the roles) to the audience and the fans. Emma is - understandably - fed up with "beeing Hermione" (or beeing recogniced only as her), but as I said earlier, this is the only character / role, fans can approach her. I understand very well every wish about privacy, "beeing normal", "beeing unrecogniced", but these PR-things are part of the job, a actor/actress has, and there is no way out. I also think now, that Emma is now forced to do her own PR-stuff, without help of a big HP-machinerie in the background.

It is, of course, the decision of Emma, in which way she commnicates with her fans, but, for example, I found Bonnie Wrights "Twitter-page" refreshing and funny.

I think - and I agree with you - that Jo and her team does a great job and "asking Emma" is a good feature for Emma to tell us, what she thinks and does (and it can be helpful if you can read a little bit "between the lines").

But I stay to my opinion, that her PR-work must be better in the future. You cannot rely for the rest of your career on five million fans, writing creepy things on facebook to a fictual caracter namend Hermione Granger....... Because HP is history and talented Emma Watson starts now from "0" her second, real career.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

A lot of people enjoy it when she discloses something personal, she can either embrace that or not, there's not much of a discussion there. It will be interesting to see her interviews after Perks is released, to see if she's as open as she used to be.

There's always a discussion if one only looks for it. I'm sure many would be interested in something personal from Emma, something we don't already know. But at the end of the day how far can you really take the celebrity/fan relationship? We admire her work, and we're interested in her life to an extent, but when it starts getting more personal that relationship begins to change. Emma shouldn't have to, nor feel required to, divulge any aspects of her personal life. Personal life is just that, personal, as soon as it's disclosed it's no longer personal.

I'm not saying this solely for Emma either, but in general the lines between how far fan interaction with celebrities should go is becoming increasingly blurred. In a way it has always been sort of an unknown since major movie stars existed, but in the technological age that we now live in the lines have blurred even more. There's so many ways and even more personal ways to interact with fans these days (twitter, facebook, ect), that we have more of a window into their personal lives than ever before. You could argue that it's near impossible that celebrities can have personal lives in the sense that the average Joe does, but that doesn't mean we should totally ignore it because they are a high profile figure.

I suppose ultimately what I'm driving at is while people may enjoy when she discloses something personal, is it right for them to enjoy it? What's the state of celebrity/fan interaction/relationship and does that allow us a personal look into their lives? Again if so, is that fair?

There are thousands of questions one could ask, maybe we could start a discussion in the Current Events and Topical Discussion section as this is starting to stray from the original purpose of this thread ^.^.

@Jonny: She IS selling the product, but the product is her professional image, her movies, etc. It's not her personal life. It's not assuming the personality YOU think she should have. The truth is, she could scream "I AM NOT HERMIONE" at the top of her lungs for two hours straight and you're STILL going to see the creepers on Facebook posting whatever they want, because it's an open forum. So, the ONLY solution is for her to deal with it in the way she and her team see fit, and the method they're using right now is spot on. Also, discounting HP is just silly, and I'm sure not something Emma wants to do completely. It is, after all, the reason she has 5 million fans hanging off her every word.

Yes, Emma needs to take some responsibility for her own PR... AND SHE IS. That's why this thread exists. :P But again, nobody can dictate what her personality should be, or how many words she needs to write, etc etc etc. It's kind of... insulting? Honestly, if anyone ever told me "Ling, you need to write more like this [insert super fake message here]" I'd no longer want to post anything for anyone.

At the end of the day, social media is a double-edged sword. Sure, clients have more control over their image and how they wish to be perceived, but they also need to be SO VERY CAREFUL with how much they disclose. And I'm not just talking about celebrities (and yes, I work with celebrities), but every day people as well. Social media is also a complete game changer. Things the PR experts thought were true even 5 years ago are NOT true now.

Edited by ling

@ling: I think, you missunderstand me. I am not very interested in her private life but I want - as a fan and a cineast - to know as much as possible about her professional life (= her job). And the ways and means, she offers her information on that is the topic here. Everything else is "imagination", because she will probably never talk to me, you or anybody else in this forum (well, Jo. maybe exepted) about her last headache, her last visit to the dentist or the flowers, her last boyfriend sent her.

What I wanted to point out is the fact, that you can remain on a professional basis, but with some sort of personal touch. And this is no dictate, just a suggestion, or better, a whish.

Emma will be - for special reasons - forever a part of my life, but in the future she must proof her talent in movies and plays also to me. And therefore it does not matter in the end, if she talk to us in what way ever.

There's always a discussion if one only looks for it. I'm sure many would be interested in something personal from Emma, something we don't already know. But at the end of the day how far can you really take the celebrity/fan relationship? We admire her work, and we're interested in her life to an extent, but when it starts getting more personal that relationship begins to change. Emma shouldn't have to, nor feel required to, divulge any aspects of her personal life. Personal life is just that, personal, as soon as it's disclosed it's no longer personal.

I'm not saying this solely for Emma either, but in general the lines between how far fan interaction with celebrities should go is becoming increasingly blurred. In a way it has always been sort of an unknown since major movie stars existed, but in the technological age that we now live in the lines have blurred even more. There's so many ways and even more personal ways to interact with fans these days (twitter, facebook, ect), that we have more of a window into their personal lives than ever before. You could argue that it's near impossible that celebrities can have personal lives in the sense that the average Joe does, but that doesn't mean we should totally ignore it because they are a high profile figure.

I'd say most of the fans she has right now she attracted with her acting second, and with her charisma (for lack of a better word) first. Part of that was her willingness to appear very open, even though she always drew some lines. She seems intent on changing that though, which is understandable. I only wish in the future, we could have both; a versatile actress that shows her talent in many different roles, and an icon with a charming personality.

I think many fans need to take a step back and be less critical of the way Emma interacts with her fans and a closer look at why they feel entitled to decide how she should behave. Saying you want to know as much about her professional life as possible is still a bit strange. What you realistically need to know is a) what she's working on, b ) when it will be released. The same way an average person would not explicitly outline every detail of their professional life. Parts of anyone's professional life can still be personal. Tell people the information they need to know, what's relevant to them, etc. I don't feel the need to know that so-and-so was sitting in their office drinking a cup of tea and typing an email about what they have on their plate for the next week, so I'm not sure why anyone would need to know that someone else is sitting around on set thinking about whatever. Work is boring. Obviously Emma loves her job, I love my job, maybe you love your job, but even when you love a job that doesn't necessarily make the everyday hum drum stuff interesting, or something worth sharing on Facebook and Twitter. :P So what we do get from Emma are interesting tidbits that are relevant to what we need to know. Not to mention that the answers are pre-written and posted at regular intervals, so it's not like there's tons of spontaneity. :P Jo can't just take her list of answers from a meeting a few weeks ago and make them sound like they've been written at that very second.

There's just a lot of logistics here that a lot of people don't seem to be aware of. ;)

Edited by ling

As I said, I'm pretty sure Jo got her list of questions answered a few weeks ago, so the answers are already dated. So they won't say "I'm just hanging out on set doing blah blah blah," because they were actually answered at a meeting with Jo. :P Tweets are easy, yes, but you were JUST complaining that Emma's FB answers weren't long and personal enough... writing out that kind of response WOULD take time. Plus to execute the STRATEGY that you claimed she does not have means having a game plan as to when answers are posted, how much time should be between each one, etc, to maximize their impact. The strategy cannot be "let's spontaneously post things whenever you can find time in your very busy schedule but make sure the answers are detailed and personalized" because that is NOT a strategy. It's really not rocket science. :P

@ling: I think, we will not change her way to communicate. I told Jo. weeks ago, that it would be a great idea to have a feature called "Ask Emma". She told me, that they were already thinking about such a thing and they started it. The only thing I see different, is the style of it. But this is Emma's choice and, well, I can and have to live with it.. :yesyes:

That I would do it a little bit different, is my personal point of view. At no point you can imagine, that Emma wrote the answers herself. It more looks like "my pr-manager writes it, I look over it, say ok and that's it". It's still not "personal". Read Bonnie Wrights Twitter-Page and you know, what I mean.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

I have a question for Emma, but I'm not sure whether it's too personal... or even answerable, to be honest. But it's something I've been rather curious about for quite some time:

"As both an actress and an Ivy league student, how much do you draw from your academic knowledge and your readings when preparing for a role or a scene?"

@ling: I think, we will not change her way to communicate. I told Jo. weeks ago, that it would be a great idea to have a feature called "Ask Emma". She told me, that they were already thinking about such a thing and they started it. The only thing I see different, is the style of it. But this is Emma's choice and, well, I can and have to live with it.. :yesyes:

That I would do it a little bit different, is my personal point of view. At no point you can imagine, that Emma wrote the answers herself. It more looks like "my pr-manager writes it, I look over it, say ok and that's it". It's still not "personal". Read Bonnie Wrights Twitter-Page and you know, what I mean.

love me some B to the Wright, but she does not have emma's troubles with the media and all. She can allow herself more

than Emma(as em has to be more reserved etc). You don't see photos of Bonnie on a street in london buying ice cream do you?

or ''bonnie and her fiancee'' stuff. But B doesn't have the coverage that Emma has, if you want shoots of her you barely find

any photos that are decent quality and so on. I'm happy that Emma wants to be closer to us fans and wants to do this kind of things.

Excuse me, but I was refering to the style, Bonnie W. writes her twitter- entries and to nothing else. This discussion becomes a little bit boring, because everyone wants privacy for Emma, but nowbody tells her, how to get it. With the fame of Emma you can simply not be "normal" (well, maybe here in Carinthia nobody would recognise her, but not in London City). Emma W. with a pink dog in the streets of London must be a hit for every photographer out there. And: I think, Emma's people know exactly, how to work with the media. For me, this whole thing is a little bit "part of the game" to be recognised by the media. And, on the other hand, what would happen, when there are no more paparazzi-pics, no more "fairy tales" about pink dogs, fights on airports, wardrobe-malfunctions ecc. ecc.? Delete all the stuff, you (we) dislike, what would remain from Emma? A few pictures from official engagements, a movie-trailer now and then, a movie (good or bad). In the end, we all want this stuff and I think, you looked on the pink dog-pics as well as I did. So we are in the end not better then the media, because we buy / watch this sort of reporting.

Excuse me, but I was refering to the style, Bonnie W. writes her twitter- entries and to nothing else. This discussion becomes a little bit boring, because everyone wants privacy for Emma, but nowbody tells her, how to get it. With the fame of Emma you can simply not be "normal" (well, maybe here in Carinthia nobody would recognise her, but not in London City). Emma W. with a pink dog in the streets of London must be a hit for every photographer out there. And: I think, Emma's people know exactly, how to work with the media. For me, this whole thing is a little bit "part of the game" to be recognised by the media. And, on the other hand, what would happen, when there are no more paparazzi-pics, no more "fairy tales" about pink dogs, fights on airports, wardrobe-malfunctions ecc. ecc.? Delete all the stuff, you (we) dislike, what would remain from Emma? A few pictures from official engagements, a movie-trailer now and then, a movie (good or bad). In the end, we all want this stuff and I think, you looked on the pink dog-pics as well as I did. So we are in the end not better then the media, because we buy / watch this sort of reporting.

That's part of being a professional in this film industry, you ride the wave, I mean either u do that or drown.

Emma's good at it. Me being in Romania, I don't read tabloids at all, in any way so If I didn't have this acc. I wouldn't of known anything paparazzi wise and wouldn't see anything. Just the official news which happen to be on the homepage of this website, besides I'm a photo editor and love seeing shoots of hers(photo nerd me). So yeah I don't hunt for that stuff:)

I did check DM's site to see that after ARIE and peeps posted about it.