The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Suggestions, Questions for Emma's Official site

You don't understand it because you don't know what Jo has to work with and I'm not going to sit here and try to explain it again.

And making Emma-Watson.net her official page is, again, impossible because... oh here I'll just quote myself again "a fan site is VERY different from an official presence because fan sites owned by individuals can get away with a lot more." I'm really not going to explain it again. You can live in your fantasy land all you want, but the fact is this is business and there's a lot more to it than what you think there is. ;)

Just as an FYI, edited pictures are often illegal since most people can't afford licensing fees from a photographer, let alone licensing fees that allow someone to modify or adapt upon the photo. Then plopping it into a site like Emma's which, as a site that promotes her brand, is a commercial entity.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because she cannot just post whatever she wants. :rolleyes:

You will tell me that somebody else (Emma?) is selecting the messages on a daily basis? That it is not possible to agree with Emma about, lets say, 20 questions for the pre-christmas "Emma asks you.." ??? I cannot believe it, that this all is done on such a amateur-basis....

Uh. Yeah that's exactly how PR works... you need to go through a few levels before things are deemed suitable to post. Legal restrictions that constrain what can be published and what cannot. And then the very simple reality that Emma might not WANT to publish something. We all know how private she is.

Uh. Yeah that's exactly how PR works... you need to go through a few levels before things are deemed suitable to post. Legal restrictions that constrain what can be published and what cannot. And then the very simple reality that Emma might not WANT to publish something. We all know how private she is.

At the moment I am only talking about the messages. "Merry Christmas, Emma!" is definitly not a thing, you can call "private". And her projects, movies, fashion ecc. is also not "private. Oh, and the questions..... But I see, this leads to nothing. Emma's PR will remain amateur-league instead of champions-league and there is nothing one can do against it.

She'd pay a fee for standard things (making sure things aren't broken) and then a fee on top of that for any changes or additional features/pages/etc.

Sounds p. cumbersome. So we can assume that any updates/ features like the Christmas Q&A were Emma's ideas, or that they had to be presented to her along with the associated costs? Sounds p. bumpy :mellow:

Well, it can go either way. For example, if I have a cool idea for a client, I can discuss it with my team and then someone can present the idea to the client who can in turn decide if it's something they're interested in. Or a client can come to us with an idea, and we will go over it and make our recommendations on execution and decide what to do with the client.

After that's finished, it goes to a completely different department that takes, for example, my quote as to how much work it will take me to complete (usually in hours), who draws up a fee estimate, which the client can agree to by signing an additional contract.

But yeah, everything is DEFINITELY a process, but it has to be. There's this perception about the Internet being "free" and that you can just do whatevz, but I mean this is my actual job. So yeah there are steps, as in any business, that people have to follow.

Edited by ling

In that case kudos to Emma for putting up with such a hassle (because that's what it sounds like). I thought either Emma's always unavailable or the website team is negligent in their duties, but if things have to be worked out like that it's no wonder there are rather big gaps in the communication.

Still would have been cool to get my Christmas message up in time ;)

Haha yeah it can be a process, but on both ends! Like I can be RIGHT ON schedule, but say content isn't delivered by the client on a certain date (content is often left to the client), then that drives me off schedule, and depending on my workload I might not be able to get back on track for a week or so. So it's very much a 2 way street in a lot of ways. :)

Still would have been cool to get my Christmas message up in time ;)

If Emma need's a task force for every christmas-message she gets, you should send it now. Ling is right in her description about the process, but we were talking about features, already in place (Christmas-questions, messages to Emma.....). Standard-Updates without need to be discussed and calculated again and again......

Edited by Jonny Claus jr.

Haha yeah it can be a process, but on both ends! Like I can be RIGHT ON schedule, but say content isn't delivered by the client on a certain date (content is often left to the client), then that drives me off schedule, and depending on my workload I might not be able to get back on track for a week or so. So it's very much a 2 way street in a lot of ways. :)

Yeah ofc it's not easier on their (your) part, but they get paid :P

As for Emma, I think it's less of a hassle if the conversation went "within the budget you've given us, we could for example do this" rather than "we have an idea for your site, but it's going to cost you this much". Even if the difference is only psychological. Therefore, kudos to Emma (if she does it wth the noble intention to remain visible for her fans, rather than the business card aspect).

Yeah ofc it's not easier on their (your) part, but they get paid :P

As for Emma, I think it's less of a hassle if the conversation went "within the budget you've given us, we could for example do this" rather than "we have an idea for your site, but it's going to cost you this much". Even if the difference is only psychological. Therefore, kudos to Emma (if she does it wth the noble intention to remain visible for her fans, rather than the business card aspect).

Well, I get paid, but I still only have so many hours in a day. If I'm in charge of 20 clients, all who pay the same amount and think their project is my #1 priority, I have to deal with them all in the time that I have. If one of them falls off the radar, I can't do much about that, and need to adjust my schedule accordingly. In the case of myself, I am EXTREMELY efficient so I can often adjust my schedule in a minimal amount of time, but not everyone can and that's fine too. It's like any job. We're not paid to perform miracles. :P

That conversation (working within budgets) DOES come up, but it's still a matter of time and energy spend, etc. Again, I can't force my clients to do anything. So if my client has no interest in updating their site, I can't force them to pay up and I'm not able to do it for free.

Even existing features (messages, etc) require someone's TIME to update, and time = money.

You don't understand it because you don't know what Jo has to work with and I'm not going to sit here and try to explain it again.

And making Emma-Watson.net her official page is, again, impossible because... oh here I'll just quote myself again "a fan site is VERY different from an official presence because fan sites owned by individuals can get away with a lot more." I'm really not going to explain it again. You can live in your fantasy land all you want, but the fact is this is business and there's a lot more to it than what you think there is. ;)

Just as an FYI, edited pictures are often illegal since most people can't afford licensing fees from a photographer, let alone licensing fees that allow someone to modify or adapt upon the photo. Then plopping it into a site like Emma's which, as a site that promotes her brand, is a commercial entity.

the official website yes, facebook no, people post manips and all sorts there, even her fb do that.

Even existing features (messages, etc) require someone's TIME to update, and time = money.

So we can have the picture that Emma is sitting like Scrooge McDuck at the agency, telling people: "Here are L 500,-- for my homepage, do what you can. When the money is spent, forget it for the rest of the year!" :lostit:

Wasn't it she who tried to tell us that she is obsessed with perfectionism? Not, when it comes to spending money, eh, Emma?!

No, what you can picture is that Emma may think the website does enough to serve its purpose. She doesn't want to post personal things, she doesn't have time to answer questions or participate in activities, so the site posts news about her work and THAT'S IT. It does what it's intended to do, you know?

She doesn't want to post personal things, she doesn't have time to answer questions or participate in activities, so the site posts news about her work and THAT'S IT.

It's just confusing that semi-regularly there's the announcement that "Emma is going to do this!" and then nothing ever materializes or it happens only once.

It's just confusing that semi-regularly there's the announcement that "Emma is going to do this!" and then nothing ever materializes or it happens only once.

Sacred, please! No lèse majesté on this page! You know perfectly well, that Emma's presense on the internet is an elaborate affair of professionals, which will satisfy all fans at all times. Any contrary opinions are punishable by imprisonment in the Tower. So please...... B)

Indeeeeeeeeeeed ???????

Yes? You get an announcement about a new role as soon as Jo is allowed to post it. Again, what happens on set is not always allowed to be mentioned due to legal contracts.

This is likely because people are trying to breathe life into things and then there's not enough time to complete it. Which happens. Such is life. There are a million things I'd like to do with my life, but sadly I'll probably only get to about 750 thousand of those things. ;)

I mean, you're literally, at this very moment, inside a thread that shows someone was very earnestly trying to cater to whims and whatnot. This is MUCH more input than you would have gotten in pretty much any other case. If some things didn't work out, it's not for lack of trying, but simply because sometimes ideas don't work.

This is likely because people are trying to breathe life into things and then there's not enough time to complete it.

Ling, honestly: is this the way YOU would work for your clients, too? Starting something and then there's not enough time to complete it? Telling your client: "Oh, I had the idea, I did it one time, but now there is another client with a great idea, sorry for stopping your thing now...." Will you tell me, that a client is paying money for something problably never will get finished? Ok, some people have enough money to spend it just for fun........

Edited by Jonny Claus jr.