The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Hello :) so, as you all probably know, this weekend marked the Queen's 60th year on the throne and Britain was celebrating her Diamond Jubilee. There have been several events happening, especially around London. So, I was wondering, what did you do to celebrate this massive occasion?? :)

Edited by Emmafan456

What did I do to celebratee? Well, are you sitting comfortably, good, then I'll begin... Nothing.

I hate the Queen, as well as the rest of the Royal Family, waste of space, time, and taxpayer's money.

Ok then...Lol I suppose people are entitled to their opinions :)

I am impressed yall have the same queen this long!! Thats quite the longevity for a monarch! :) congrats to the people of England!

Okay thank you. :) I accept that other people are entitled to their own opinions, but i think saying you hate the queen and the royal family is taking it too far when they've done nothing but serve this country well. We couldn't ask for a better Queen :)

Chris is right. There is no serving really. It's coming from the money of all the British people. The queen mostly sits on her ass anyways. There are many people through England who are struggling to make ends meet and they have a monarchy that doesn't do very much and they have all this unnecessary money. People are dying for your country of England too and more honor goes to a cowardly queen while a brave soldier dies in Afghanistan on the same day.

I will honor the working class and anyone who is a real human. I will not give my attention to the queen on her "jubilee"... I will honor the soldier who died in Afghanistan.

http://news.yahoo.com/british-soldier-killed-afghanistan-223743919.html

Serve? Are you bloody kidding, all they do is sit or their arses being waited on hand and foot, ALL OF WHICH IS PAID FOR BY THE TAXPAYER.

exactly. all the "royals" do is show up at events when needed and take tax payers money.

half of the dimonds and jewels the queen has doesnt even belong to her, some were stolen in conquests from other countries. i dont understand why they are worshiped so much. it's not like they are actually running the country.

Edited by Rena

Do you want to know what it costs to keep the monarchy? 66p a year from every person in the UK.

That's 66p to uphold the tradition and history of the nation, and to ensure a tourism industry within the country, which pays far more than the taxpayer does for the privilege.

The Armed Services would not exist without the Monarchy, the very fibre of the British nation has been built up around the Monarchy and the Kings/Queens.

The Queen hosts/attends over 200 different international events every year, she does not stop working. There are no days off. She does not go on holiday. She represents the British nation everywhere she goes, and she carries the burden of that responsiblity on her shoulders at the age of 86.

I'd rather have the Queen than a premiership football player. And you know what? The Queen actually pays money INTO the Treasury at about 75% of what she is entitled to keep. In 2006/2007 she earned 36.7 million pounds, she paid the Treasury 190.8 Million. The Queen PAYS the Royal Family herself.

What is it with the youth of Britain, in this generation, that think they deserve everything to be delivered to them on a plate, and that the world owes them something?

My point is, yes, you may not like the Monarchy, but they do not earn as much as you think. Football clubs pay out roughly 3 to 4 times more to their players per year.

^^Great post, just about sums it all up really, without the Monarchy of our country, we would most probably just be a small state in Europe. We should be proud of our Royalty, they have helped keep this country together through times of trouble. When servicemen and servicewomen join up, they pledge alleigance to Queen and Country.

Yes,this country is in a financial mess, but thats the fault of the politicians we elected, not the Queen.

We are just a small state in Europe, no one gives a toss about the UK, the rest of Europe must think we're a joke, we have literally NO say in what happens in the world, we're not some massive empire anymore. I say we let the queen finish her reign and then we stop with the royal family. And you said about the Armed Forces, of course we'd have the Armed Forces without a monarchy! The French revolted and got rid of their monarchy, they have some of the most advanced technology in their Armed Forces. The monarchy are nothing to be proud of, the way we treated our overseas territories in the empire, disgusting.

You want my honest opinion? F*ck the queen.

Do you want to know what it costs to keep the monarchy? 66p a year from every person in the UK.

That's 66p to uphold the tradition and history of the nation, and to ensure a tourism industry within the country, which pays far more than the taxpayer does for the privilege.

The Armed Services would not exist without the Monarchy, the very fibre of the British nation has been built up around the Monarchy and the Kings/Queens.

The Queen hosts/attends over 200 different international events every year, she does not stop working. There are no days off. She does not go on holiday. She represents the British nation everywhere she goes, and she carries the burden of that responsiblity on her shoulders at the age of 86.

I'd rather have the Queen than a premiership football player. And you know what? The Queen actually pays money INTO the Treasury at about 75% of what she is entitled to keep. In 2006/2007 she earned 36.7 million pounds, she paid the Treasury 190.8 Million. The Queen PAYS the Royal Family herself.

What is it with the youth of Britain, in this generation, that think they deserve everything to be delivered to them on a plate, and that the world owes them something?

My point is, yes, you may not like the Monarchy, but they do not earn as much as you think. Football clubs pay out roughly 3 to 4 times more to their players per year.

Well done you! great post :)

We are in the 21st century. We have no need for monarchy in this day and age. We have progressed to something a little more reasonable for political ruling and monarchy doesn't match up.

Responding to SomeBloke on the armed forces and monarchy. The armed forces would prevail just fine without the monarchy. It's rather silly to just say, " Oh no! We have no queen. Time to burry our heads in the sand!" It's about catching up to the times. Just look at what other countries are like and what their armed forces are like. I understand the tradition of the Queen and the monarch, but I think it needs to be toned down a bit. The Queen is getting money for just being a Queen. It's not quite what people in this world want to see.

Well, I am from Austria, but I would do nearly everything to be one of her majesty's humble servants....

It's something different; modern politicians, not depending, to which country they belong, are no role models at all.....

We have a president here, and nowbody cares really about him......

No, british people, be proud of your monarchy!

Well, I am from Austria, but I would do nearly everything to be one of her majesty's humble servants....

It's something different; modern politicians, not depending, to which country they belong, are no role models at all.....

We have a president here, and nowbody cares really about him......

No, british people, be proud of your monarchy!

why would anyone want to be servants to the queen? why do people bow down to her? i would never bow down to the queen or any human being. it's not like they're God or something.

Responding to SomeBloke on the armed forces and monarchy. The armed forces would prevail just fine without the monarchy. It's rather silly to just say, " Oh no! We have no queen. Time to burry our heads in the sand!" It's about catching up to the times. Just look at what other countries are like and what their armed forces are like. I understand the tradition of the Queen and the monarch, but I think it needs to be toned down a bit. The Queen is getting money for just being a Queen. It's not quite what people in this world want to see.

My point was, the Armed forces were set up by the Monarchy.

I disagree with the the catching up, look at the Japanese. They have an Emperor and are one of, if not the, most technologically advanced nation in the world.

I think having the constitutional monarchy in Britain has been a much better blessing than absolute monarchy.

More on the financial point, the Monarchy also pay taxes. The Queen earns about 37 Million pounds a year so as to pay the Royal family, maintain the palaces, and deal with expenses etc The Queen pays back into the Treasury.

37 Million pounds, to us that may seem a lot. But if you put that into perspective:

The London eye, cost 70 Million pounds to build, and earns 25 Million a year.

The Millennium Dome cost 789 Million to build.

Man Utd earnt 175 Million in 6 months last year.

New Wembley Stadium cost 757 Million to build

Ok... so umm the rest of the world need to learn how a constitutional monarchy works.

In this day in age, the English royalty are now (for all intents and purposes) reduced to tradition and image. Although technically they are heads of state, the ruling entity is that of Parliament (equivalent of a congress) the policy making and enforcement is the responsibility of this branch of government.

Mind y'all. The nations of the commonwealth still do answer to the royal family. Australia, New Zealand, and yes Canada as well. The queen is still technically your head of state.

---

Someone mentioned earlier that Japan does still indeed have an emperor. Same story here, the ruling tasks are that of the MPs.4

---

More or less, most western nations today follow a pseudo-republican government.

Edited by sirbenedictvs

Yes! Exactly! Fantastic post!! :)

Well done you! great post :)

I agree Jo!! :)

i think what bothers me the most and i may be wrong about this because i've never been to the U.K but it kind of seems like the queen is seen by her peers in a God like sort of way which i don't like. i dont like the fact that she's bowed down to and i dont like the fact that some see themselves as servants to her. she's basically worshiped and i feel like only God can be bowed down to and we are servants of him not the queen or any royal monarch of other countries.