The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Positive review of "Noah" from Hitfix.com. He says the same thing about Emma as others(good at times but the pregnancy scenes are a problem). Keep in mind this reviewer has always had very nice things to say about Emma before, especially in  Perks of Being a Wallflower and the Harry Potter movies.

While Crowe's work is uniformly good in the film, the younger cast struggles with tone at times. Emma Watson's performance is all over the place. She's very good at times, and she has a particular knack for grief, but her character goes through a physical transformation in the film that she's unable to play convincingly. It just strikes me as something that is outside her range right now. Logan Lerman's better as Ham, but there's one scene that is staged in such a way that I feel like he was playing the wrong scene entirely. He never acknowledges his surroundings, and since the scene takes place in a ditch filled with rotting human bodies, it seems like something you might at least notice. These are just a few individual things that don't work for me, when so much of the film is so interesting and so dense with ideas that I can let them go in the end.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-russell-crowe-is-the-stormy-center-of-aronofskys-turbulent-and-terrifying-noah#05Mm4SuHPgOFGzP1.99

Edited by Occulus
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the kind of movie you have to think about for a while afterwards.

I liked it, but I'd definitely agree that it's draining. You won't leave feeling entertained, which is pretty normal for Aronofsky.

It has its flaws, but it's able to keep you emotionally invested in the story, and never feels predictable. And that's pretty much all it ever needed to be.

As for Emma, she's the emotional center of this story, and I think she absolutely nailed it.

This is the kind of movie you have to think about for a while afterwards.

I liked it, but I'd definitely agree that it's draining. You won't leave feeling entertained, which is pretty normal for Aronofsky.

It has its flaws, but it's able to keep you emotionally invested in the story, and never feels predictable. And that's pretty much all it ever needed to be.

As for Emma, she's the emotional center of this story, and I think she absolutely nailed it.

I cannot waaaait to see it!

SEEING IT NEXT FRIDAY or SATURDAY-depends on friends' schedules-I told them I will wait one more week and then seeing it without them!!! LOL

As for the preggers scene-unless you have a point of reference then you know what it feels like. I have seen plenty of actresses on TV and movies who have to be preggers and have never experienced it before and you can tell they don't know/understand. Like I said this doesn't surprise me about the pregnancy scene for Emma. Otherwise I am sure she was AWESOME as always :)

all the media-talkinghead-critic-sycophants are trashing the film.......but RottenTomatoes gives it a 67-73 rating, and it is number 1 at the weekend boxoffice with 44 million, way beating out the number 2 movie, Divergent with 35 million. this is why you NEVER listen to critics and trolls.

BOO ya beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Elena you rock ;) That review was freakin UNREAL and INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roberto said Ila is the emotional center of the story-Roberto you said this before Vanity Fair eluded to it too :)

SEEING THIS WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

BOO ya beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) Elena you rock ;) That review was freakin UNREAL and INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roberto said Ila is the emotional center of the story-Roberto you said this before Vanity Fair eluded to it too :)

SEEING THIS WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I read it then posted it hehehehehe

For more than an hour, Noah collects building supplies with the aid of his faithful wife (Jennifer Connelly), his two able-bodied sons, Ham (Logan Lerman) and Shem (Douglas Booth), and Shem’s girlfriend (a peculiarly lifeless Emma Watson)—all woefully underwritten roles, played by alarmingly wasted talents. - New York Observer

Emma Watson is characteristically bland as a daughter in law - Irish Times

On the other hand, Jennifer Connelly is splendid as Noah’s long-suffering wife, Naameh; and Emma Watson, not the most versatile of actresses, does a decent job as Ila, wife of Noah’s son Shem (the impossibly pretty Douglas Booth), who believes herself to be barren and saddles Noah with a terrible moral dilemma. - Daily Mail

At first glance, "Noah" is a costume movie, a action movie and a animated spectacle. The costumes are unspectacular, they remember as well as the whole scene a little of the planet "Tatooine" from Star Wars. Troublemakers in medieval clothes running around marauding through desert-like areas. In the cities cutthroats rule, the slave trade seems to be on the agenda. The animations are disappointing for a 3-D large-scale project of this scale. The landscape is unimaginative, the effects (even the flood, but also the fightings) are somewhat reminiscent of computer games of the 90s. The fact that the animals were only animated cost the film a lot of – exprected - good pictures. The drugging of the animals into a deep sleep is nonsense – their rescue is in the bible the center of the story.

Russell Crowe is a very convincing Noah. The story "after prophet Aronovsky" is much darker then in the bible, at least the caracter of Noah. Noahs inner conflict is represented by a credible Crowe, you see his decline, in every facial expression, every look, in his posture and even language. EMMA WATSON gives her most remarkable performance since "Hermione", but if you are - like me - grown up with Potter, you always see Hermione, not Ila, fighting with Noah. – Austrian Broadcasting Corp.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

OMG Elena...everyone...ok I know I am a biased fan of Emma and it always sounds like I never say anything that could have been changed in her performances (tbh Sam, Nicki, and now Ila-she nailed all of these characters but....ILA IS HER BEST ROLE POST POTTER). My best friend who I saw it with is an English/film major so when I see movies with her, I know how she feels ;) She is also an Emma fan but is also a critic LOL She said tonight after the movie-she has a future ahead of her.

Ok so as a Catholic, I thought it was done tastefully, not cheesy, not preachy, and not sacrilegious. I don't want to say too much as I don't want to give away things. I will say this, I was pleasantly surprised how well written this story was considering it was a children's bible story so to speak.

The actors were AMAZING....Russell Crowe was freakin awesome as Noah...Jennifer Connelly-we all need a mom like Naameh....Douglas Booth and Logan Lerman-Booth was good (didn't have a humongous role but was good) and Lerman was WOW. This boy has got some skills. Anthony Hopkins-we should have a grandfather like this-all of us! :) The "watchers" WOAH....yeah didn't expect that but it FIT. Finally Emma....NAILED it. Her scenes were devastating to watch, sad, but yet hopeful. I don't want to give away too much as I said but her delivery, her facial expressions for her scenes were BLOODY BRILLIANT. I cried. There is this one scene where I just bawled. Emma just freakin nails it. It's ironic because the story is called Noah but really the center of the story is Naameh and Ila. As for the childbirth scene-the critics can stuff it. Let's see them do natural child birth and see what they sound like. It was VERY realistic so much so I wanted Naameh to figure a way to give her anesthetic!! I respect ANY woman who does this naturally. Knock me out when the time comes! LOL But getting back to Emma...her performance will leave you speechless. I love Emma and adore her as Hermione, but this movie should show audiences everywhere that this girl is not just a pretty face riding her laurels on Potter. I would HIGHLY recommend Noah to anyone. The effects are not too over the top and the scenery is gorgeous.

GO EMMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Edited by cbmac12

OMG Elena...everyone...ok I know I am a biased fan of Emma and it always sounds like I never say anything that could have been changed in her performances (tbh Sam, Nicki, and now Ila-she nailed all of these characters but....ILA IS HER BEST ROLE POST POTTER). My best friend who I saw it with is an English/film major so when I see movies with her, I know how she feels ;) She is also an Emma fan but is also a critic LOL She said tonight after the movie-she has a future ahead of her.

Ok so as a Catholic, I thought it was done tastefully, not cheesy, not preachy, and not sacrilegious. I don't want to say too much as I don't want to give away things. I will say this, I was pleasantly surprised how well written this story was considering it was a children's bible story so to speak.

The actors were AMAZING....Russell Crowe was freakin awesome as Noah...Jennifer Connelly-we all need a mom like Naameh....Douglas Booth and Logan Lerman-Booth was good (didn't have a humongous role but was good) and Lerman was WOW. This boy has got some skills. Anthony Hopkins-we should have a grandfather like this-all of us! :) The "watchers" WOAH....yeah didn't expect that but it FIT. Finally Emma....NAILED it. Her scenes were devastating to watch, sad, but yet hopeful. I don't want to give away too much as I said but her delivery, her facial expressions for her scenes were BLOODY BRILLIANT. I cried. There is this one scene where I just bawled. Emma just freakin nails it. It's ironic because the story is called Noah but really the center of the story is Naameh and Ila. As for the childbirth scene-the critics can stuff it. Let's see them do natural child birth and see what they sound like. It was VERY realistic so much so I wanted Naameh to figure a way to give her anesthetic!! I respect ANY woman who does this naturally. Knock me out when the time comes! LOL But getting back to Emma...her performance will leave you speechless. I love Emma and adore her as Hermione, but this movie should show audiences everywhere that this girl is not just a pretty face riding her laurels on Potter. I would HIGHLY recommend Noah to anyone. The effects are not too over the top and the scenery is gorgeous.

wow......I want to see it so badly

I saw it yesterday, and I thought it was alright. The movie itself was pretty dark and draining, I did like some parts. As for Emma, I thought she did alright actually. I did not like her in Perks, she has a way of feeling quite unnatural and akward to me with her acting, but I think she did a good job. Her heavier scenes were convincing and believeable, she really gave it all. I cant wait for Emma to take on more roles and improve as an actress, I would love to see her do something challenging, like.. I dont know, Emily Browning in Sleeping Beauty or something. That kind of role.

very nice review :) i will keep it in mind when i see Noah later this week, probably Thursday.

Thank you Emma_Rules! :) Like I said I tried to come off as sounding not quite biased but honestly it was awesome and Emma just NAILED it....I do agree with Crapmuffin-it was very draining....but for me I LOVE movies that do this. I want to experience emotions from the characters and they did just that for me in Noah :) Elena have ya seen it yet??? It is doing very well!!! Closing in on $200 million WW! :) For anyone who has not seen it yet-SEE IT!!! :)