The Emma-Watson.net Forum

A interesting discussion is developing on Emma's FB-Page. She added a pic of her friend Sophie with her pink (!) dog Darcy, asking for support of Spophie's breast-cancer activities.

The fans are asking:

1) Why must the dog be pink

2) Why does Emma not donate the L 10.000,-- for the project

3) is a pink dog a sort of animal cruelity?

For the first time there are not only "I love you Emma" -post, but critic and some really nasty remarks about "crazy girls", using a animal as a sort of accessoire

What do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/emmawatson

First of all, I'd say it's so easy to ask people to donate but like some people asked pn Facebook why doesn't Emma gives all this money herself. We so know she is full of cash and it's not enough to just ask others to do so. She - and many other celebrities - should give more than $1,000 or something just so they say they did a good thing. And honestly I'm so glad she is criticized this time for that, it proves that people can use their brain too sometimes and just not worship her like she is God. As for the pink dog, it's not totally cruelity I think just a stupid idea. There's no use making the dog pink and if she finds it funny well that's her problem but I do not agree with this, it's just not right, she should respects pets more imo.

Ah, that's all easily answered. :)

1) Why must the dog be pink

Because yellow dogs just look wrong.

2) Why does Emma not donate the L 10.000,-- for the project

Because she's fantastulasticly awesome but still can't quite save the world all on her own.

3) is a pink dog a sort of animal cruelity?

Hmm, good question. Is it a male dog?

What do you think?

I think people love to get worked up on things these days. Or maybe it's always been like that. I mean, that's what tabloids are all about. "Oh my God, she did what with whom?" We watch our celebrities very closely so that every time they put a toe out of line, we can have a huge story about the scandal. And if they take too long to come up with something shocking, a slighly lesser scandal will have to do. "Oh my God, she's eating strawberries with NUTELLA?!" (I think she actually does that...)

Now about animal cruelty: Beating baby seals to death is cruel, having bears fight dogs for your amusement is cruel, drowing young sheep in a pool just because you can is cruel. Dying your dog or having it wear clothes? Not so much. I mean, dogs don't even recognize themselves in a mirror. How on Earth would they get embarrassed at their looks?

First off, dying the dog in a harmless way to raise awareness is awesome. Second, someone who loves their dog as much as Sophie does wont harm them. Third, anyone who says Emma should donate all the money is CRAZY. Why not just tell Oprah and JK Rowling to donate it all then too? Just because a celebrity has alot of money shouldnt mean they donate every last penny. Emma has worked hard to earn her money. I am 100% positive she gives alot to charity that people are unaware of. To tell Emma/criticize Emma for not donating all 10000 £ is insane-pretty sure she has donated alot already. Anyway criticizing Emma is just wrong when it comes to her money. She's a good girl with a good and caring heart.

I am 100% positive she gives alot to charity that people are unaware of.

How on Earth could you possibly know that? :P

In any case, we DO know that Oprah donates a hell of a lot to charity. :)

I honestly feel she does. Either way I am so sick of people dumping on Emma this week all because of that stupid DM article-they didnt have any of their facts (shocker) and just assumed it was Emma's dog-like Emma's trending tweet said #factcheckingtakesfiveminutes.

Another thing is how do we know Oprah donates alot? Point being you cant say we know that for sure and not Emma. Again Emma could do it anonymously. Either way, Emma should not be responsible for donating all the proceeds for breast cancer awareness. We as society should donate too, even just $1-2. Yes I did donate to my local chapter already.

I think this whole thing is ridiculous and goes to show how pathetic our society is. It's not Emma's dog to begin with, so she shouldn't even be involved in this discussion in the first place. Secondly, the dog was dyed as part of a cancer research project with a harmless substance that doesn't hurt the dog in any way, so once again non-issue.

Dog Where did they get the idea that dogs are being used as accessories from this? By that logic owning a pet in the first place is using the animal as an accessory, because it had no say in that decision either. Hell, let's go further and say that people must be using babies as accessories rather than human beings because they dress them up in outfits to be cute with the baby having no say in the decision whatsoever? And they are human beings who are aware, or at least will be aware, of what they were forced to wear, and you know what? They will just be mildly embarassed or even laugh at it. The dog's feelings aren't going to be hurt since it does not have a human brain and limited color vision, so it doesn't know, or care, about how it looks.

Again, much ado about nothing. Not to mention, didn't people give Emma a hard time for cutting her hair because THEY demanded that Emma keep her hair long because they wanted her to be Hermione in real life? So it's perfectly fine to force her to keep a certain appearance and treat her like an accessory used to bring a fictional character "to life"?

And once again people are using the "why don't celebrities give their money to charity with their wealth" excuse. Emma's probably donated her share already. This is just to give other people a chance to get involved and contribute. It's just that these people don't want to pay, and decide to spin it around to justify it to themselves.

And people who are happy to see Emma get "criticized" for this rather than "treated like a God", open your damn eyes. This isn't constructive criticism, these comments are just plain nasty and cruel written by irrational, psychotic, angry people and all over Emma walking someone else's harmlessly dyed dog. How can you defend this insanity?

Edited by KS987

First of all, I'd say it's so easy to ask people to donate but like some people asked pn Facebook why doesn't Emma gives all this money herself. We so know she is full of cash and it's not enough to just ask others to do so. She - and many other celebrities - should give more than $1,000 or something just so they say they did a good thing. And honestly I'm so glad she is criticized this time for that, it proves that people can use their brain too sometimes and just not worship her like she is God. As for the pink dog, it's not totally cruelity I think just a stupid idea. There's no use making the dog pink and if she finds it funny well that's her problem but I do not agree with this, it's just not right, she should respects pets more imo.

It's not entirely fair to negatively judge Emma for asking people to help contribute. She probably does have the money to cover their goal but it's not fair for us to ask her to contribute all her money to charity. If she contributes all the money towards their goal it sets up an unrealistic expectation that she can cover the costs of charities she supports. Even if it's a one off deal, for example "this one time I'll cover that amount," it's still not fair to expect her to do it. Large corporations have excess money that they practically give away on fruitless endeavors to make them look good. The amount of money that goes into advertising insurance in the US alone is mind boggling and could be put to better use. Even the atrocious amount that's going into the U.S. upcoming 2012 presidential election could be used in far better ways. I would criticize them more readily then I would Emma, who has a more finite amount of money than they do (odds are those corporations have [Cocoa-cola to name one] or will be around for a long time). She is asking for people to support a cause she believes in. It's not fair to chastise her for that unless you think that every rich person/wealthy corporation should give away all their money. If so then you have to set the parameter of what constitutes wealthy and not wealthy.

My other major reason against her donating the entire amount is that a charity is also largely a symbolic gesture. When people come together the best of humanity is put on display, when various people donate they stand together for a cause. If just one person donates all that money the symbolic gesture of unity is thrown out the window.

As for the dog I don't really consider it animal cruelty. The dog isn't a human, it doesn't have the same psychological or sociological makeup humans do, so it's not going to suffer any mental fatigue as a result of having it's hair dyed. If anything the dog will receive more attention and somehow I don't think it will mind that. They checked to make sure the dye wasn't toxic and the dog wasn't harmed in any way.

I honestly feel she does. Either way I am so sick of people dumping on Emma this week all because of that stupid DM article-they didnt have any of their facts (shocker) and just assumed it was Emma's dog-like Emma's trending tweet said #factcheckingtakesfiveminutes.

Another thing is how do we know Oprah donates alot? Point being you cant say we know that for sure and not Emma. Again Emma could do it anonymously. Either way, Emma should not be responsible for donating all the proceeds for breast cancer awareness. We as society should donate too, even just $1-2. Yes I did donate to my local chapter already.

Meh, I don't care if Emma donates or not, personally. Sometimes donations are good but a lot of the time they're just something people do to feel better about themselves, instead of actually working for a cause. Oprah's donation and philanthropology is very well documented whereas Emmas is not. Obviously I'm not saying she HASN'T just that there's no way anyone could be 100% sure that she does donate a fair amount. And that people DO ask people like Oprah for money and she DOES give it.

As for the actual topic at hand re: pink dog. I suppose if vegetable dye is safe I don't care if the dog is pink (although it's worth noting that I am terribly allergic to beetroot so if someone were to dye ME with it, I'd become very ill, so there's still risks ;) ). But, again, it's kind of like slacktivism again, only ranked slightly higher than posting your bra colour on Facebook to "promote awareness for breast cancer." But that's just my opinion. If it makes others feel good to feel like they're doing something for a cause, even if it's only a small difference, who am I to judge? I just prefer to take a more active approach to working with causes I believe in. :)

BTW: My point here is that it doesn't matter if Emma is donating or not. Saying she DOES donate and that you're 100% sure she does is just as bad as saying she hasn't donated $10K, because it's NONE OF ANYBODY'S BUSINESS. What Emma does with her money is only important to her and perhaps her accountant. Do you want to show your bank balance to the world? Probably not. So it's likely that neither does Emma. So there's no point in speculation either way. :P

NOPE it's a female dog, as emma adressed 'darcy' as she.

and yes yellow dogs would be really wrong looking, =)).

BTW: My point here is that it doesn't matter if Emma is donating or not. Saying she DOES donate and that you're 100% sure she does is just as bad as saying she hasn't donated $10K, because it's NONE OF ANYBODY'S BUSINESS. What Emma does with her money is only important to her and perhaps her accountant. Do you want to show your bank balance to the world? Probably not. So it's likely that neither does Emma. So there's no point in speculation either way. :P

she could of donated that 1,000 pounds though, it's not like she's ever gonna tell how much she gave.

I think, Emma made a mistake, most of use made too during our life: Try to help a friend and you get in trouble....

For me, she only tried to be polite to her friend Sophie, but the outcome was not as expected. I wonder, that Emma's people did not warn her about a golden rule of PR: never do one, when children or animals are used for promotion in an "unusual" way whatsoever.....

I am no expert, but I think, with L 10,000,-- you cannot move too much when it comes to breast cancer research. I think they will need millions and with this small amount of L 10,000,-- (Emma has this peanuts definitly under her pillow), it is more a small gesture then a big deal. I do not expect from her that she donate the whole amount, but the whole thing was never organiced in any sense and this is in my opinion a "must", if a celebrity will support a charity.

Again I ask, did nowbody of Emma's experts warn her about getting involved that way? Or was it just a chat between two friends? Who knows.

A, and btw: my own dog is allergic on carotts. So nobody can tell me, that a organic colour can NOT harm a animal. And I do not think, that Sophie made a allergic-test on poor pink Darcy.

One thing's for certain: noone would have give a rat's arse if Sophie had been the one to take him to the salon ;)

But she did..... Emma was just walking the damn dog......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Ah, that's all easily answered. :)

Because yellow dogs just look wrong.

Because she's fantastulasticly awesome but still can't quite save the world all on her own.

I think people love to get worked up on things these days. Or maybe it's always been like that. I mean, that's what tabloids are all about. "Oh my God, she did what with whom?" We watch our celebrities very closely so that every time they put a toe out of line, we can have a huge story about the scandal. And if they take too long to come up with something shocking, a slighly lesser scandal will have to do. "Oh my God, she's eating strawberries with NUTELLA?!" (I think she actually does that...)

Now about animal cruelty: Beating baby seals to death is cruel, having bears fight dogs for your amusement is cruel, drowing young sheep in a pool just because you can is cruel. Dying your dog or having it wear clothes? Not so much. I mean, dogs don't even recognize themselves in a mirror. How on Earth would they get embarrassed at their looks?

:yesyes: Awsome post! I agree 100%

I think dying your dog is silly. I have some clients who do that to their dogs and I honestly do not get it. However, I can tell you that it doesn't hurt the dog. The dog doesn't even notice. I know that the one time I saw a dog get dyed by a local groomer, it was just whining cause it didn't want to take a bath. I'm serious. The dog thought it was taking a bath. Anyway, I agree with the "we as a society should be pitching in". Not sure who said that but that's correct. I barely have cash but I donate to this cause. I've had too many people die because of breast cancer.

While I may think it silly to dye a dog pink, she's doing it for a good cause. I guess I can't be too "lol that's so silly" on her cause of that. I think it's wrong for people to criticize Emma when it's not even her damn dog. Isn't Emma more of a cat person (and chickens apparently lol)?

Humanity: it always needs something to bitch about.

• 2 weeks later...