The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I was reading an article about the Olympics being in London and the author of the article said that the English wanted to outdo the Australians from when they held the games in Sydney. It said that there was a rivalry between England or the UK and Australia.

I've never heard this before. For those of you from the UK, can you answer this for me? Is this true?

I was reading an article about the Olympics being in London and the author of the article said that the English wanted to outdo the Australians from when they held the games in Sydney. It said that there was a rivalry between England or the UK and Australia.

I've never heard this before. For those of you from the UK, can you answer this for me? Is this true?

I never knew anything about this :mellow:

Well, more often than not the host country would tend to win twice as many medals as they would normally.

By outdo, did you mean that the UK wanted to outdo the Australians as far as how the games were held? (i.e. venue, ceremonies, hardware [the medals in these games are the largest in history btw], etc)

Well, more often than not the host country would tend to win twice as many medals as they would normally.

By outdo, did you mean that the UK wanted to outdo the Australians as far as how the games were held? (i.e. venue, ceremonies, hardware [the medals in these games are the largest in history btw], etc)

That's what the article said. It said that there was a long standing rivalry between Great Britain and Australia. I'd never heard that and just wondered if there was any truth to it.

There is kind of a rivalry I'd say, but it's more of a friendly, banterous one. We like to make a lot of fun out of each other and make jokes of each other's countries, but I wouldn't say it's a proper rivalry! It's just because the Aussies are so similar to us I feel, and our 2 countries have quite a similar sense of humour.

England and Germany though, now that's a rivalry :)

• 3 weeks later...