The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I've been meaning to get a proper suit for quite some time now but haven't found any that actually fit me. I guess my getting away with dress shirt and trousers with a cardigan/v-neck can only go so far. I need a proper suit now that I outgrew my current ones and/or they're worn out-ish. Obviously I'm teetering on a budget and don't want to spend more than $700 on a 2-piece. Did some random online shopping and kinda-sorta narrowed down to a few options.

Seems promising but alas no local store has my size (36 short; or even 34) in stock so I won't be able to try and see how it fits.

Kenneth Cole Reaction

I think both pieces together will run me $150+tax.

I work for them now so I thought I might as well buy one of their suits but I've had mixed experience with how their clothes fit.

Banana Republic Monogram

I'll have to buy the pieces full price first ($648+tax) and then get the price adjusted for my employee discount (50%) at the store.

This one's on the backburner but it's still an option. I've tried them on and like the fit but is getting up there on the price.

J.Crew Ludlow

It'll come down to $553+tax after the 15% student discount.

This one also fit very well but is still on the backburner too.

Club Monaco

However, the biggest quib I have about this one is that it has a very high cut and sometimes it seems the suit itself is high-waisted. This one would run me $383+tax after the 15% student discount.

I did almost pull the trigger on this one when Nordstrom had one of their semi-annual sales. Hadn't tried it on but would've been tailored anyway. I missed the window but probably will get it sooner or later. Favourite one so far obviously :P .

Burberry

It would've been at half price ($600 at the time) with free tailoring.

----

I do get picky when it comes down to suits as all real men should. I like 2 button jackets, [for both 2 and 3 piece], slim lapels, low-cut front opening, side vents, and creased trousers. I do prefer to wear French cuff shirts when wearing a suit or even just sporting the shirt; I also wear mostly slim cut ties but not quite pencil-slim. I like the trousers to be somewhat in between an European cut and the American cut(its short enough to where there's no break in the ankle but long enough to where the socks are completely covered still). I also prefer plain oxfords and boots over wingtips and loafers to go with them.

As far as colour, if solid I would like black or charcoal; if pinstripe it'll be navy or a lighter grey. Not a fan of brown or really light grey.

Of course once I get any one I will get it properly tailored.

"It's not luxury until it's tailored." -Tom Fоrd

Thoughts? Opinions? And most importantly, suggestions?

Edited by The Midnight Q

First off, I love the slim fit. I think that would look amazing on you. Not everyone can pull it off, but I actually think its perfect for you!

I obviously love the Burrberry suit, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that one to go back on sale. Nordstrom is weird with their sales. I would check other department stores that have better sales. Bloomingdales.

I like the Resction and Banana ones too. I don't like the others much. Side note, Banana is one of my favorite stores!!

I think all your points are good. Love a guy in a slim fit suit and slim tie.

I have weird things about completely black suits. I just hate them. I would go for the charcoal area.

I agree with Arie that you would look really good in a slim fit suit. I looked at the all the suits that you suggested and they are all pretty good. I particularly like the Club Monaco and the Burberry one. If you are really concerned about what would be best for you, perhaps you should shop in store, that way you can try things on and feel the material.

I have two websites to recommend to you, I don't know if they are any good. How about a suit from http://www.bodenusa.com/ , their price range is about 200-400 dollar suits. I don’t know if they are what you are looking for nor if they are very good. They don’t ship to Australia so I’ve never ordered something from them and I found about them from an article about children’s fashion. But I noticed they have a men’s section that has suits.

Or you might find a good suit at www.asos.com, they certainly have a variety to choose from at affordable prices (check out the 70% sale, their prices are ridiculously low), although I can’t say whether the suits are any good, I’ve never ordered any from them. I’ve ordered dresses from asos they were fine. The good thing about asos is that you can click on any item to watch videos of models wearing the garments.

I like Boden's product but it looks like they don't carry my size. It might just come down a little too long on me. Asos looks promising and their prices are freakin' sweet! Not quite sure about how the suits are cut though. It's more of the European cut where the jacket length is a good 2 inches shorter than the American cut. If anything I might just get one from there anyway. Thanks for the tip!

The Club Monaco and J.Crew ones are the only suits I've actually tried on because they're the only stores that actually carry my size in the store. The others I'll have to order online and hope for the best. If I was at least 2 inches taller I wouldn't have this problem. *sigh*

Well if its only an issue of the leg being to long, you can just have the suit tailored. That is not problem at all!

Oh no, legs I can always hem myself. It's the jacket I'm worried about. Normally an American cut jacket would fall about 1 1/2- 2 inches below the end of the jacket's sleeve. Many of the ones here have it falling right at the end of the sleeve. The front opening on the Euro cuts look a lot higher as well. Most eyes here in the states would assume that the suit jacket is too small for the wearer.

I do kinda like this one. Hopefully the jacket falls a little longer.

Hmm priority will come to wool or wool blend suits though, they tend to have better feeling quality.

Oh no, legs I can always hem myself. It's the jacket I'm worried about. Normally an American cut jacket would fall about 1 1/2- 2 inches below the end of the jacket's sleeve. Many of the ones here have it falling right at the end of the sleeve. The front opening on the Euro cuts look a lot higher as well. Most eyes here in the states would assume that the suit jacket is too small for the wearer.

I do kinda like this one. Hopefully the jacket falls a little longer.

Hmm priority will come to wool or wool blend suits though, they tend to have better feeling quality.

Ohh got it. Yeah that can be tricky. In that case I say don't order anything unless there is a good return policy. AKA no shipping charge on returns. Because that's always annoying. Also, your spending a lot of money. So make sure it's someone you really love. Settling with clothes is dumb. You won't wear it.

I'm not to keen on that suit. The material and make look a little cheep to me. But it all depends on what you are using the suit for. I don't have any experience with ASOS.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went ahead and ordered a Kenneth Cole suit but I'm honestly not having high hopes for it. Once I get it properly tailored I'll take some photos and ask what y'all think.

Edited by The Midnight Q