The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Game of Thrones

Yes i know, but i was not quite sure who you meand.

Good, i don´t thought the Queen of Thorns was the right choose, a delicious but a bit to fragile heh?

I just started watching! I am really enjoying this show!!!

Not loving all the innopropriate parts but thats HBO for you. I know most people are fine with it, but I think it takes away from the show.

I am only on the 3rd episode so I am super pumped to how it goes from here!

The plot is weak and the narrative is messy. Everyone keeps saying it's a masterpiece but to me it's good, but not that good. It's very simplistic but has the odd nice sub-plot.

Mm I don't think I can agree to that. First time I read the 1st book I admit I didn't like it, mostly because I don't like Martin's writing style. Too many details, too large sentences, which make the writing confusing and tiring. The narrative is messy in a way, but only because there isn't one protagonist, one key House that everything revolves around it. There are many, way too many, key characters, too many background stories etc which makes it super awesome! And that's why the plot is everything but weak!

Now as far as the series are concerned they can't put everything into it, it's impossible. It's just a TV show, they are not made of money. But the spectacle they've achieved so far is outstanding imo.

No I said Joffrey, he dies in A Storm of Swords which will be season 4.

However, it has been said in Season 4 they are changing the person who kills him.

Really? Haven't read this, why would they do that?

EDIT: I swear one of these days I'll get the hang of multiquoting and editing properly! >.>

@Badab:"Good, i don´t thought the Queen of Thorns was the right choose, a delicious but a bit to fragile heh?"  But whyyy I love Grandmommy Tyrell, she's super awesome!

Edited by Lady Deadpool

Agreed Lady Deadpool! But i like the writing style of MArtin and love that there are so many characters, so many stories. that i think makes the world more believable, more interesting.

She is funny indeed, intelligent and up to date, and she has a good motive but, as i read it if feeled somehow strange. I can´t explain it in words, at least not in english. But i will try. it seems to me strange that no one was suggesting she could have done it or maybe Maggery self the clever Tyrion don´t see it. That no one had seen her gripping at Sansas head or something like that, that she was out of all the conclusion, just because she is old. it lefts a unsure feeling.

And if i think over it, i will suggest that Tyrion gets that kill to. He would be fitting, maybe Joffrey is doing something bad to him. Or Maggery because she favors Tommen over Joffrey^

I am answering both you and Badab here, I just thought I'd quote the one. Excuse my laziness. XD

Mm I don't think I can agree to that. First time I read the 1st book I admit I didn't like it, mostly because I don't like Martin's writing style. Too many details, too large sentences, which make the writing confusing and tiring. The narrative is messy in a way, but only because there isn't one protagonist, one key House that everything revolves around it. There are many, way too many, key characters, too many background stories etc which makes it super awesome! And that's why the plot is everything but weak!

Now as far as the series are concerned they can't put everything into it, it's impossible. It's just a TV show, they are not made of money. But the spectacle they've achieved so far is outstanding imo.

Really? Haven't read this, why would they do that?

I was on about the show not the books. >.< But yeah, the first time I read the books it was weird reading them in modern text. Surely a book set back in the decades should be written with some authenticity. There's only 20 houses, they're using four at the moment, I find it easy catching up after a few episodes and you remember which character belongs to which. My favourite quote?

It was red, big and red."

I think from book 2, prologue?

Your 'not made of money' statement is pretty far stretched. You are aware it is the only show that has made such a profit on HBO? It's the most expensive TV Show and it's the only show to make so much profit on such a small budget. The first pilot episode gave HBO $10 million and now each episode gets $50-$60 million and it costs $5 million per episode. However, they did have a 15% increase last year. I'm not even including the franchise. They do have the money to go further, if that's just the profit after making the budget. I may stand corrected, I'm still in training at the moment, but a standard American show is traditionally over 20 episodes, there is 10 and they could easily fit a book into 15 episode let alone 20. However, I do think that 10 episodes is suitable for an authentic show.

I know it's an adaptation and the books are evidently better. I know they can't fit in all character and their houses. However, this is key for me in the books because it allows me to get lost into so many different realms and lives. It's lovely. Put into motion picture? Not so much.

The plot is weak within these episodes and the narrative is very clumsy placed together and they should take care, no matter the craze these young people are having. They've chosen half decent actors (meaning some can act others not so much, don't get me started on Sophie Turner) and the music that is essential is brilliant. I don't need to be told about the characters either. >.< I stated I read all the books thus. However, its acknowledged that I'm not expecting them to fit in the compendium at the back either, lets not be ridicule about it, the show would be otherwise boring.

I suppose it is good they're updating the map in the beginning credits, it is adequate and should be done really as the shows go on and new houses are introduced. This show is no masterpiece. I don't understand the logic behind why it is to be called a work of brilliance. It's average (Yes IMO :P ). A masterpiece is flawless and would otherwise survive critical vilification. It's a good show for me, nothing more. I haven't watched many television shows, I'm more of a film girl and the era depicted within Game of Thrones is what I love best. It just needs a little tidy up.

I don't know why they are changing who kills Joffrey, they said something to do with how in the book it's suspicious between four people so they want to use it to their advantage. However, I don't remember the acts myself.

Also Maggery is my third favourite character, she is gloriously casted. She is gorgeous and I find myself nostalgic for The Tudors again!

I've pretty much spent about 45 minutes writing this, I apologize for my nauseating ramble. XD

Edited by magicbeans

i will not quote it but refer to the Important positions, and hopefully don´t write 45minute on it.

First, with the autencety you surely are in the books. They could write some old sentence in them, try to speak like they spoken 500 years ago, but it would trouble some readers, most of them probably, and would made afraid some potential readers. I don´t know how many people you know who read, but i know a lot who never read something old because they say something like : whats this, sounds gay, can´t they write german?

So a modern talk in it makes it more readable. A trick old authors used, too. For example there was authors in the Ancient that written in the Latin of the poor people. you could think it is from an latin student, of today, who don´t speak the language well. 

In my opinion it is an acceptable aspect.

The Money aspect is very interesting, Don´t know they get that much money from it. But if this is the case, i believe you there, they could do more indeed. More episodes would be nice, but they will argument, that it makes the story more understandable, same for more houses. It is sad but TV has to be simpler then a book can ever be, can´t explain why but it is always easyer, maybe because they want you to understand it first time watching. The number of Episodes is also it seems coupled to the first season and other "expensive" series, like Band of Brothers, or Rome - But the second season had 12 episodes.

About the acting and the characters you said many true things. i can´t say much against, it. Most is your opinion.

The next part is you opinion, too. But i love the beginning two. Maybe it needs a bit tidy up, could not damage it i think.

four people? hm lets remember. Sansa, a servant, the fool and of course Tyrion i think. The Queen of Thorns (i should really look up her name) was never suspiciond but Littelfinger hinted to Sansa, she was it.

I don´t like Maggary that much. She is not bad, and with power she at least will something do with, but if a girl shall rule then Dany!

I don't get what you mean by writing in a different language. I just said that a book set in such an era should be written in old English? Not German? Or was you referring to ancient English? Most people who enjoy literature actually side away from modern representations because they're just less of a literature experience. I'm not sure what you mean by carrying out all these languages though? I am sure you are aware that books can be printed in different languages? I'm sure you'd have no problem.

I actually find Rome very typical of Game of Thrones. Or should I say that the other way around. They share similar plots that's why I don't think this is a masterpiece, but again good.

As for the queen of thorns I think you mean Olenna?

I love Arya the most but she'd such as a queen, alas she does not want the crown AND she has no right to the throne.

Yes I thought you were referring to GoT as a whole, including the books as well, since you mentioned the plot issue.  But yeah the TV show of course would have some problems. It would be difficult as well as boring and confusing to maintain a straight narrative; especially for the ones who are not already familiar with the books and the characters and the different sceneries. So yeah the TV show could not be considered a masterpiece but then again one will call something 'something' in comparison with other 'somethings' of their kind. I don't know what would be considered as a masterpiece tbh, but it's without a doubt one of the best series ever.

As for the music, like you said brilliant! I have a thing for osts, like I've said before I've started one too many anime I didn't initially like ( :P ) based on their amazing music!

What I didn't like though, I don't know if I've mentioned it here, is the way they portrayed Robb. I love Robb seriously even if he wasn't much of a protagonist in the books as he is in the movies, but anyways.

Robb would never risk anything because of loooove and marry someone else while he was promised to another woman. I mean in the books he made one mistake, he slept with her only one night, he was devastated he has a penis (well guys) he made a mistake and BOOM. Afterwards he felt like he should marry her  so as to not would her honour. He did this thing which eventually lead him to his death, because he was an honourable amazing lord and the TV show fails to show that. Instead they show that Robb ruined everything because he's just a kid who fell in love with a nurse. Oooookay,

I agree, I adore Rob Stark but he seems too arrogant in the show. They belittle his character too much and focus on the others around him. They're focusing too much on his 'wife.'

I don't get what you mean by writing in a different language. I just said that a book set in such an era should be written in old English? Not German? Or was you referring to ancient English? Most people who enjoy literature actually side away from modern representations because they're just less of a literature experience. I'm not sure what you mean by carrying out all these languages though? I am sure you are aware that books can be printed in different languages? I'm sure you'd have no problem.

I meant old English. I´m just German and thought of some old german books i rode. You would just rip a part of the jung people away who don´t want to read old english. Sure some can read it, i would try it, too, but after all a book is something the industry wants to sell, to get the most people on it. The Literature agencies (who you have to got to with a book) will filter out what they think is not possible to sell. If some readers want older stuff, there is enough you can read, from the lay of the Nibelungs to older younger works like The hunchback of Notre dame.

I hope i made my point clear now, because i may think to much and write to less to get to my point. Happens sometimes.

Rome and Game of Thrones have some points in common, but that because they about Nobles who fights for power. if you want to refer game of thrones to history, take the War of the Roses, who by the way Martin was inspierd. You will find there many Lords and ladies and treachery and plotting and bloody murder. And all is happened real, or the most of it. You never know about every detail.

Probably, yes Olenna Tyrell would fit.

In the books Robb was more honorable, but i think he could have liked his wife also. At least he speaks to her, and seems to want her by his side.

But i think too, that they focus a bit to much on the nurse, they could spend the time at other places, much better.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having post-episode 9- depression. So many feelings fkhfjkshkfjh. The moment the rains of castamere started playing I think my heart stopped. Sometimes I think about how I'd feel if I hadn't read the books and watched that scene. But then again I remember when I read it. I was like "wait, what just happened" and read it again. Then a piece of me just died.

I shouldn't be laughing I knowwww, poor souls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juOpTM3tE

The Lannisters send their regards omg :P

• 7 months later...

This is a very intriguing story and I just plowed through all 3 seasons to catch up. 

The Red Wedding was a shock---and I guess you can never get attached to any of the characters.

I think Daenerys Targaryen will get the throne as she now has built huge armies and she has her dragons.

Can't wait for the 4th season in April.

Btw, did you notice at the Golden Globes, Emilia Clark followed Emma as a presenter. She looks different without

her blonde hair.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...