The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Obviously, nobody can tell the future, but we would still like to know. What are your thoughts on the 2012 Presidential Election candidates? ALSO what did you you think on their recent nomination acceptance speeches?

Personally, I've never been an Obama supporter. However I believe Obama delivered a great speech, simply because his speech focused on what he would do, rather than Romney speech, which was mostly Obama bashing.

Still, I think this election could go either way.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Bagel of Death
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really stuck. I don't really prefer Obama or Romney. I don't know what I am going to do come voting time. I think both campaigns have been pretty dirty. There is so much that i don't like about both of them, and not much that I like. It seems like its all gonna come down to who sucks less. Oy.

I'm not saying Obama's a great candidate, but I would consider him the lesser of two evils. Realistically there's no quick fix to the economic crisis, neither candidate has an amazing plan that will instantly revive our economy. The Great Depression lasted a long time and would have lasted through the 40's had it not been for WWII. If nothing else Obama's kept the economy at a level where it hasn't gotten worse. The auto industry is stabilizing, we have universal health care (whether or not you agree with it. I personally don't think it's the greatest bill but I definitely think we need something. It's sad when our nation which is suppose to be one of the greatest has a horrible health care system), Don't ask don't tell got repealed (and was recently revealed after vigorous research and investigation not to have had ANY negative effects on the military), he helped with the New START (STrategic Arms Reduction Treaty), and we finally pulled troops out of Iraq. I suppose you could list Bin Laden in there but I think that was more of a joint all around effort, Obama played his part but doesn't deserve sole credit for it (although I don't agree with Romney constantly blasting him saying he deserves no credit for it). Those accomplishments are enough for me to believe in him for another four years.

As an egalitarian I'd also like to see him reelected just because he's the first president not against gay marriage. With the threat of trying to get reelected if he does get reelected gone (2 terms) I think he'd be willing to fight more strongly for equality.

Romney doesn't strike me as a horrible candidate but I'm very suspicious of his ties to special interest. I also don't agree with a lot of his social views but then again I don't usually agree with conservative views socially. I'm also a bit suspicious as to why he's so hesitant to release his tax returns, I don't think he's really hiding anything but at the same time by not releasing them he's making it a huge deal. His VP choice seemed kind of weak to me too but then again anything's better than Palin.

I have to say overall I'm just tired of these campaigns. They drag on for months, billions of dollars are spent on smear campaigns and at the end of the day what's the point? You really want to impress me, put all that money towards a good cause instead of trying to make me hate a person. It's been getting progressively worse every four years, the 08 campaign was bad, and 04 wasn't great either.

I dunno, at the end of the day I don't really care about national politics as much. I already know which way my state is voting and I'm more concerned about California's State Ballot this year which has a lot of pressing propositions. If I had to guess today I'd say Obama will barely win the presidential election, but it's really going to be anyones game barring something drastic come November 6th.

Ohh also I think Clinton's speech stole the show :D

I definately always supported Obama, in my opinion he is one of the best presidents. Romney hasnt really said anything about what he's going to do once hes president and his speeches, along with paul ryans, are full of lies. Obama said something at the DNC like " romney just points out all the things that are wrong and he never says what hes going to do to make it right" something like that.

i admire the way obama talks and handles himself and i feel like he deserves to be president again. i really hope he wins, i've just never really been a republican supporter...i dont really side with their views.

so the bottom line is, if romney wins im moving out of the country lol

I have to say overall I'm just tired of these campaigns. They drag on for months, billions of dollars are spent on smear campaigns and at the end of the day what's the point? You really want to impress me, put all that money towards a good cause instead of trying to make me hate a person. It's been getting progressively worse every four years, the 08 campaign was bad, and 04 wasn't great either.

THIS!

I'm not saying Obama's a great candidate, but I would consider him the lesser of two evils. Realistically there's no quick fix to the economic crisis, neither candidate has an amazing plan that will instantly revive our economy. The Great Depression lasted a long time and would have lasted through the 40's had it not been for WWII. If nothing else Obama's kept the economy at a level where it hasn't gotten worse. The auto industry is stabilizing, we have universal health care (whether or not you agree with it. I personally don't think it's the greatest bill but I definitely think we need something. It's sad when our nation which is suppose to be one of the greatest has a horrible health care system), Don't ask don't tell got repealed (and was recently revealed after vigorous research and investigation not to have had ANY negative effects on the military), he helped with the New START (STrategic Arms Reduction Treaty), and we finally pulled troops out of Iraq. I suppose you could list Bin Laden in there but I think that was more of a joint all around effort, Obama played his part but doesn't deserve sole credit for it (although I don't agree with Romney constantly blasting him saying he deserves no credit for it). Those accomplishments are enough for me to believe in him for another four years.

As an egalitarian I'd also like to see him reelected just because he's the first president not against gay marriage. With the threat of trying to get reelected if he does get reelected gone (2 terms) I think he'd be willing to fight more strongly for equality.

Romney doesn't strike me as a horrible candidate but I'm very suspicious of his ties to special interest. I also don't agree with a lot of his social views but then again I don't usually agree with conservative views socially. I'm also a bit suspicious as to why he's so hesitant to release his tax returns, I don't think he's really hiding anything but at the same time by not releasing them he's making it a huge deal. His VP choice seemed kind of weak to me too but then again anything's better than Palin.

I dunno, at the end of the day I don't really care about national politics as much. I already know which way my state is voting and I'm more concerned about California's State Ballot this year which has a lot of pressing propositions. If I had to guess today I'd say Obama will barely win the presidential election, but it's really going to be anyones game barring something drastic come November 6th.

Ohh also I think Clinton's speech stole the show :D

oh i agree! i kind of wish he could run for president again lol

do you think hilary might run again?

oh also, i must say everyone kept talking about Clint Eastwoods speech, but i didnt think it was all that. i didnt agree with anything he said and it felt like he kept loosing track of what he was going to say.

oh i agree! i kind of wish he could run for president again lol

do you think hilary might run again?

For a while I would have said yes but during this past year or so I'd say it doesn't look very likely. If Obama is reelected she's not coming back as Secretary of State and I believe she stated she's planning on retiring. If she were to run in 2016 she'd be about 68 and it's tough to keep up with a campaign and presidency at that age. I think she could do it and I think she'd have a very good chance of getting elected given her vast experience. I guess I'd like to see it but I don't think it will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably not going to be voting this time. I didn't like Obama's economic plan considering the amount of money spent (and would've spent) during his term. I will not talk any more about this but, [given the economic state we're in], the universal healthcare plan is the worst idea that could implemented. At the same time though, Romney has been going in circles with his campaign with not much to back him up. Still, the president campaigning and the president elect are totally different. You can never truly judge a presidential candidate until they actually serve a term in office. I would not be surprised if Obama will pull the "I killed Bin Laden" card when it comes closer to the general election however. [Even though both Clinton and Dubya tried and failed to kill/capture Bin Laden on several occasions]

Honestly, as president Bill Clinton was pretty moderate compared to the presidents since. I would vote for him no doubt if he could run again. (His wife is a totally different story) And if McCain ran again this year I would've voted for him too [i did in 2008].

...I'm not voting this year.

Edited by The Midnight Q
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking far away in good old England, judging by what I have seen on the TV and read in the press. I think Obama should have another term in office, he seems a decent, principled man, plus the fact that Romney bloke, appears to have no policies.

• 4 weeks later...

Vermin Supreme has got to be the greatest man of all time, his election pledges:

1) He will fully fund time travel programs and he will go back in time and kill the infant Hitler with his own bare hands.

2) Zombie Preparedness, when the hoards of living dead are attacking you, then you'll be glad you've got him in charge!

3) Mandatory tooth brushing laws

4) FREE PONIES FOR EVERY AMERICAN!

xD

lol@Free ponies for everyone. XD I wish, right?

Anyway, I'm Green Party so I wanted to vote for Jill Stein.. but I am stuck in a state that cannot make up it's mind. Florida has got to be the dumbest state in my opinion. I was voting today and so many people lead their vote based on what I call "blind facts". What I mean by this is that they have no idea what they are voting for. They see something shiny and that's what they go for. *sigh* Miami is especially bad.

I went for Obama today and I hope I do not regret my vote. I think, as Dax said, that he is the lesser of the two evils. Romney to me is just evil. I see nothing good in that man. Many people will disagree with me but when a man is caught on tape calling 47% of Americans "lazy" among other things he loses all good will. Romney is a capitalist to the extreme. To me, he is everything that is wrong with this country. Don't even get me started on his flip-flopping. He was terrible in the last few debates and his policies are terrible for women. How any woman can vote for that monster is beyond me.

I will jump for joy if Gary Johnson or Jill Stein win this but I doubt it. No one gives 3rd party a chance because we are stuck in a broken 2 party system. We are divided, not united.

I have to say, living in Ohio has been pretty crazy through this whole election process.

I can only imagine. You guys are also a swing state. Well, let's just hope that they don't screw up our votes. I don't want to be the pimple on the ass of society anymore. -_-

We are THE swing state. It has just been crazy here.

Honestly, that's just the media's interpretation/hype. Technically speaking Obama could lose Florida and Ohio as long as he takes New Hampshire, Iowa, and Colorado, the first two of which it looks like he's got a decent lead in, he can still win. If Romney doesn't get Florida and/or Ohio it's pretty much over for him.

Honestly, that's just the media's interpretation/hype. Technically speaking Obama could lose Florida and Ohio as long as he takes New Hampshire, Iowa, and Colorado, the first two of which it looks like he's got a decent lead in, he can still win. If Romney doesn't get Florida and/or Ohio it's pretty much over for him.

I know! I guess I meant more for Romney. Because I knew that pretty much really needs to win us. Everyone has been talking about in non stop. If Romney has a shot of winning Ohio.

I'm not sure how much of it is media. I get what you are saying and you are 100% correct on that, however, living here and seeing the divide, it hasn't been pretty. It's sad how when I work with "rich" and "upscale" white people, they tend to support Romney and then you have the black side of town which is 99% Obama. In the middle, we have Latinos. Latinos are convinced that Obama is going to lead this country into communism. My grandmother is one of these people. On the other hand, you have younger Latinos who are for Obama so the Latino community is split.

I'm even split with a lot of my friends. It's pathetic. I just cannot wait for this to be over and hopefully Obama can win it.

Also, just to say this:

Romney's "Let's get Ohio" thing pissed me off. He said so little about those suffering from Hurricane Sandy whereas Obama seems like he genuinely cares about people. He even said that the election means nothing at the moment because of the people. Meanwhile, Romney is rallying to get Ohio? It makes me sick.

I know! I guess I meant more for Romney. Because I knew that pretty much really needs to win us. Everyone has been talking about in non stop. If Romney has a shot of winning Ohio.

He's worried about losing it. Last I heard, the polls were neck to neck. I need to check the polls again because it's been a while. Florida is the same thing and I'm scared that Obama is going to lose Florida. I saw way too many people voting for Romney this past week. People here who are voting for him are really showing that they are (ie: bumper stickers, lawn signs, etc).

Edited by Midnight Toker

Who knows, in terms of neck and neck races one could argue that Ohio, Florida, Virgina, New Hampshire, Colorado, and Iowa, and to a lesser extent now North Carolina are all toss ups. Of those, Obama only really needs about 18 electoral votes to get elected. He could take Florida alone and take everything, although I feel that's going Romney right now myself. It's anyones game really. I suppose you could make the argument that the set up favors Obama more than it does Romney, since he would need fewer states.

As for Hurricane Sandy, I hope Romney doesn't get elected since he wanted to cut funding to FEMA. I'm not sure people would enjoy that right now.

Last I heard, in Ohio Obama was pulling ahead of the polls. But, who knows what will happen in the end.

Dax, that true with Ohio too because we also get 18.

It was a bad move for him to focus now on Ohio and not Sandy at all because we actually got hit pretty hard here. I had no power last night for hours. All the school were closed today. Its been raining here non-stop since last Friday and it isn't supposed to stop till this Friday. Tons of people here still don't have power. No where near as bad as NY, but still. If Romney wants Ohio he should be more sympathetic here.

I have seen so many people voting and for both sides. I really have no idea which way its going to go. Most people around where I live are supporting Romney because it is a pretty upscale neighborhood, but again... who knows?

I think you could argue that Obama's image and handling of Sandy might give him the smallest of boosts, but keep in mind that early voting in states where Sandy hit was suspended at least a day or two and will be possibly longer in areas that received a lot of damage. Early voting tends to favor the democrats more than the republicans, and Obama has been pushing hard for people to get out and vote early.

It's really unpredictable at this point. No matter what the polls say right now, something could throw it all off in the end anyways. I suppose the nice part is we won't have to stress or speculate over it after next Tuesday.

Well voting early here has been going on for a while. Actually I think it may be over now. I kind of dislike the whole voting early thing. People were voting for all the wrong reasons and just to get it over with. That's a whole different conversation though. And oh man is Obama pushing it. When he came to my uni there were signs everywhere. The board of elections is close by. There were people registering everywhere then going to vote. I kept asking people why they were voting today or why for Obama. Just to hear what people said. They said nothing. They would say "because" or "obviously Obama is the only option". That worries me in the sense that people are going about this all wrong. But, it's working for Obama.

So true, but we do have to stress, one of these people will be our president. We do have to worry even after. I just hope whoever it is will really do some good for the country. I'm still unconvinced that either is better then the other. Who knows...

Well voting early here has been going on for a while. Actually I think it may be over now. I kind of dislike the whole voting early thing. People were voting for all the wrong reasons and just to get it over with. That's a whole different conversation though. And oh man is Obama pushing it. When he came to my uni there were signs everywhere. The board of elections is close by. There were people registering everywhere then going to vote. I kept asking people why they were voting today or why for Obama. Just to hear what people said. They said nothing. They would say "because" or "obviously Obama is the only option". That worries me in the sense that people are going about this all wrong. But, it's working for Obama.

So true, but we do have to stress, one of these people will be our president. We do have to worry even after. I just hope whoever it is will really do some good for the country. I'm still unconvinced that either is better then the other. Who knows...

I would counter argue that those who vote early would be as misinformed as those who vote on the day of the election. There was a statistic awhile back that only about 25% of Americans were actually informed about issues and candidates while a whooping 50% weren't informed at all and about 25% were moderately informed. It's kind of sad given how long our elections are that there's a large amount of people who don't know what they are voting for. That stat is across all party lines too. It could be worse though, at least people aren't cooping anymore.

Of course we always have to worry about our government, but the election will be over and we won't have to suffer the constant media attention and attack ads. There is no easy answer to our economic, political, or social issues. To be honest I'm kind of tired of people thinking there's a special cure that will magically change everything. The economy is going to take time to come back, no matter who's elected. If there was a special fix it would have been implemented by now. As I stated in my original post in this thread, things haven't gotten worse under Obama, which in itself I feel is a good sign. Things could have spiraled out of control and gotten a lot worse. Romney's vague answers and lack of a viable plan concern me.

I didn't know of those stats. Thanks for including them. I guess the issue remains with people in general.

True, the ads are annoying as he'll. and the phone calls....Uch. Of course not and people who think there's a magic cure are not very smart. True. I just hope they finally start to get better. That's all I hope for. Because not getting worse is not a good think, it's okay. I would like to see some progress. Not asking for magic, just a little movement. I think I'm allowed that at least.