The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Okay fellas, I found some new outtakes, but wait! There is something about them, they're too gorgeous! and tagged by

emma watson daily, I wonder why!? Why do they tag photos like they bought them? Coz If I contact Mariano Vivanco or Lorenzo Agius

on facebook they probably don't know about that; but they state they're 'site exclusives' is that right?

http://www.emmawatsondaily.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=-249&pid=13936#top_display_media

http://www.emmawatsondaily.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=15

They probably tag them because they want to be credited with their "find". If they are tagged then other websites kind of feel they have to link back to Emma Watson Daily as the credit as to where they found the image - so this gets more hits to the website of Emma Watson Daily (and hence more people find out about the website).

They won't be 'exclusive' in respect that they have come straight from the photographers - photographers will rarely just "give" their work to a website - especially a fansite.

These no doubt will be from one of those picture agencies that cost money to gain images from (though I suspect as it's a fansite, they have snagged an account from someone for free).

They probably tag them because they want to be credited with their "find". If they are tagged then other websites kind of feel they have to link back to Emma Watson Daily as the credit as to where they found the image - so this gets more hits to the website of Emma Watson Daily (and hence more people find out about the website).

They won't be 'exclusive' in respect that they have come straight from the photographers - photographers will rarely just "give" their work to a website - especially a fansite.

These no doubt will be from one of those picture agencies that cost money to gain images from (though I suspect as it's a fansite, they have snagged an account from someone for free).

HA, yes exactly. I am so upset though! Because they released them and I don't want the photog. angry not to release outtakes again.

well, as a webmaster i kinda feel them because to get these images accounts you have to pay and since they have them in HQ they must have paid lots to get them!

but yeah they don't have any permission from the photographer and etc.

Absolutely, but also, these are photos from scans(except that shot of emma portrait and the mariano shots) so I think they knew what to get.

Whenever I see them having the all the latest and HQ pics, I just wish we had someone in our team who can get those pictures for our site.. :mellow: (I've just noticed - there's no "sigh" smiley - I needed it here!!)

I WOULD BUY ALL HER SHOOTS! if possible.

Whenever I see them having the all the latest and HQ pics, I just wish we had someone in our team who can get those pictures for our site.. :mellow: (I've just noticed - there's no "sigh" smiley - I needed it here!!)

It'd be interesting to analyze the effectiveness of both sites, and find a way to leverage E-W.net's obvious popularity to have a higher financial benefit (obviously not knowing what they currently bring in in terms of revenue), in an unobtrusive way of course, in order to be able to afford those resources. The stats alone would be interesting. Because it's a cycle, you see... you invest in the site in order to gain revenue from it, to purchase these "exclusive" items, which generates more traffic and therefore more revenue. And so on. I'd love an experiment like that... how big can the money tumbleweed grow, haha.

But obviously, making a business out of a hobby can be difficult and daunting and not many people want to take it on. I mean, I made an entire career out of my design hobby, but now I don't have any hobbies, so I work 24/7 and I am a robot! :D I can understand why people don't wish to mix business with pleasure, as it were. :)

It'd be interesting to analyze the effectiveness of both sites, and find a way to leverage E-W.net's obvious popularity to have a higher financial benefit (obviously not knowing what they currently bring in in terms of revenue), in an unobtrusive way of course, in order to be able to afford those resources. The stats alone would be interesting. Because it's a cycle, you see... you invest in the site in order to gain revenue from it, to purchase these "exclusive" items, which generates more traffic and therefore more revenue. And so on. I'd love an experiment like that... how big can the money tumbleweed grow, haha.

But obviously, making a business out of a hobby can be difficult and daunting and not many people want to take it on. I mean, I made an entire career out of my design hobby, but now I don't have any hobbies, so I work 24/7 and I am a robot! :D I can understand why people don't wish to mix business with pleasure, as it were. :)

I agree on the last part, my case too. and can you stop talking like a PR person? I heart Marketing too but... :rolleye::rolleye0012:

While they may have had some cost to obtain the photos, I am quite sure that they have not paid the appropriate fees, or received permission, to legally display them on their site. I'm not interested in running E-W.net as a business. It currently operates at a significant loss, and I'd rather not plaster the site with ads to change that.

While they may have had some cost to obtain the photos, I am quite sure that they have not paid the appropriate fees, or received permission, to legally display them on their site. I'm not interested in running E-W.net as a business. It currently operates at a significant loss, and I'd rather not plaster the site with ads to change that.

Yeah I know, that's what I said, essentially (re: business). It's interesting, but not practical for most people. I'm sorry, between my day job and freelancing I'm working constantly and sometimes it sneaks up on me. :P So I was mainly just musing aloud at the idea. Not even necessarily monetizing anything, but hazarding a guess that you don't break even on the site and trying to provide a solution for that without necessarily increasing ad space. But, obviously, I trust your judgement with your own project. And I'm totally with you on it, because before being a marketer I am a designer and before that I am an artist and I'm all for doing something for the purpose of having fun or personal satisfaction, etc. :D I do the same thing with the amount of projects I take on for free or a lower rate just because I want to be involved with something.

@helen2U: Sorry! I admit, I usually get on here first thing after arriving at work, after I've answered all of my emails, so I probably get a bit into "robot mode." I'm a lot more fun and less nerdy and uptight in most cases. :P I know I can come off as being an insufferable know-it-all, but it's really just because I want to help and I like to provide answers (like with my reply to Jia about how E-W.net COULD get the means to get the photos but also why it might not be practical), and... yeah. If you saw my Twitter account you'd be like "why is this girl so silly?" :blush:

Yeah I know, that's what I said, essentially (re: business). It's interesting, but not practical for most people. I'm sorry, between my day job and freelancing I'm working constantly and sometimes it sneaks up on me. :P So I was mainly just musing aloud at the idea. Not even necessarily monetizing anything, but hazarding a guess that you don't break even on the site and trying to provide a solution for that without necessarily increasing ad space. But, obviously, I trust your judgement with your own project. And I'm totally with you on it, because before being a marketer I am a designer and before that I am an artist and I'm all for doing something for the purpose of having fun or personal satisfaction, etc. :D I do the same thing with the amount of projects I take on for free or a lower rate just because I want to be involved with something.

@helen2U: Sorry! I admit, I usually get on here first thing after arriving at work, after I've answered all of my emails, so I probably get a bit into "robot mode." I'm a lot more fun and less nerdy and uptight in most cases. :P I know I can come off as being an insufferable know-it-all, but it's really just because I want to help and I like to provide answers (like with my reply to Jia about how E-W.net COULD get the means to get the photos but also why it might not be practical), and... yeah. If you saw my Twitter account you'd be like "why is this girl so silly?" :blush:

lol but no. I love intelligent ppl. I meant it in a different way though. We all have a bit of Hermione in ourselves too.

When I come from work I usually edit/retouch something, an emma photo in most cases, but that's just me. I totally understand:)

Most importantly you don't come across as/I don't take you as a ''insufferable know-it-all'' coz I do learn something. You have to send me your twit username that'd be interesting!

Like most online things, I suspect there would be a HUGE amount of luck involved. "Exclusive" pics get grabbed and reposted within hours (minutes?) of going up, so the site posting them would need some serious welly to hit all the PR outlets and grab traffic straight off the bat.

Think of it this way: if E-W posted them and Huff Post grabbed them and reposted them (credited with a link, we'll assume), how many people will go to E-W? Of the millions of hits the pics would generate, I suspect the Huff Post would get the lion's share, simply because most people would already go there for news (and they rank higher in Google, have higher Page Rank, etc.). There would be some click-through but you'd never get the "interested" people to keep coming back - just the fans. Everyone else would continue to watch the Huff Post because it already has so much clout in the marketplace, as it were.

Of course, there is the "viral" aspect (i.e. luck). If it just so happened that someone popular saw them and posted the direct E-W link - thus preempting the Huff Post link - E-W could get a massive pile of traffic before the pics got grabbed, posted, retagged, spread around, linked, tweeted, cut up into small pieces, stuck back together and used as wallpaper. :)

"Exclusive" content only really works longer term if you are right on top of the source all the time - places like E!, the horrific mess that is Perez Hilton, JJJr., etc. - and so can get exclusives regularly.

At least, that's how it looks to me. ;)

Edited by SpikeTheLobster
  • 3 years later...

I think it's so dumb of emmawatsondaily to tag her pictures. I understand tagging more rare photoshoots or images that you've bought yourself, but if they're from forums like this or other fans it's not right to tag them. I myself have just opened a gallery and I refuse to ever watermark anything that I haven't scanned myself or taken myself. 

I think it's so dumb of emmawatsondaily to tag her pictures. I understand tagging more rare photoshoots or images that you've bought yourself, but if they're from forums like this or other fans it's not right to tag them. I myself have just opened a gallery and I refuse to ever watermark anything that I haven't scanned myself or taken myself. 

i have said that for years, even to her who runs the website. she then changed her site's disclaimer.

• 7 years later...