The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma as the Doctor?

I always wanted a female Doctor for Doctor Who. Matt Smith is signed on for one more season but after that there's talks of who is going to be the 12th Doctor. The rumor mill says they are thinking of making the Doctor a female for once.

So this would be a huge thing in Doctor Who history because there has never been a female Doctor. We know that he could regenerate as a female, so why not? Not sure why it's even taken this long but whatever.

Anyway, how cool would it be to see her as the first female Doctor, the 12th reincarnation! Since I'm a huge fan of her and the fandom, I think it would be awesome. I dunno if she's even a fan of the show or if she would even ever do a TV Show. They film in England and she goes to school in the states so I doubt she would do it but it would be nice to see. I can dream. I think she would make an excellent Doctor. She would need a gang though, not just a companion. Cause the Doctor has gangs now, gangs are cool.

Edited by Midnight Toker

I know Matt Smith is only signed for another year but I haven't heard of him wanting to step down. I think it's quite possible that he'll stay on for awhile longer. The only problem I'd have with Emma being the Doctor is she'd be pretty young for the role. To date Peter Davison and Matt Smith have been the youngest Doctors and they were around 27 years old when they started the role. It's not inconceivable there could be a younger incarnation but I don't see the producers heading in that direction. It would be nice to have a female doctor but I don't think it will happen for two reasons. One, I think a male doctor has been ingrained in the viewer for over 50 years (if you go back to classic who) and departing from that image would be tough. The second is due to his twelfth regeneration, time lords only have thirteen regenerations so making the penultimate doctor a female doctor seems less likely to me as the Doctor's life is winding down.

Mere speculation of course, anything's possible and it would be cool for Emma to star as the Doctor, but I think if an actress were cast as the Doctor it would be someone older.

If Matt Smith stays on for another 2 years not counting this year, that would make it another 3 years before we see the 12th Doctor. Emma would be what? 25? That's not too bad. I see what your saying but for me I think it would be even better if the Doctor turned out female. Here's the thing, the 13 lives scenario is cannon but it's also up for debate. Russel T. Davies said he wouldn't change it but there's talk from the other writers so anything is possible. If Doctor Who continues to be successful, I don't know if it will just end on 13 lives. It might and part of me kinda hopes it does so we don't taint the Doctor but the other part of me feels like it should be more because the new series hasn't seen great technology in terms of special effects yet.

I highly doubt they would bring back the Time Lords not after the last time that happened. Anything is possible though I suppose. Anything through good writing which the show has. If she can't be the Doctor, then maybe set her on as a companion perhaps? At the very least it would be cool to see her guest star on it.

I dunno, I just would love to see her on Doctor Who some how. If she's a companion maybe she can be a bit like a modern version of Sarah Jane.

Edited by Midnight Toker

LOL Oh man you're right Ling! River! hahaha! Oh I wonder how River would take that? I actually met Alex Kingston and I remember someone had asked her about a homosexual relation if the Doctor ever was female and she was down for it. XD She's so open minded and just such a lovely woman. Oh! Another thought! Doctor Emma and Captain Jack!!! hahaha! I would love to see that pairing!

The Doctor really can be male or female. I love the way they set that up. XD

Edited by Midnight Toker
  • 4 months later...

She would do good in any roles that ome her way. I think what helped her get noticed is the fact she is and always will be the Hermione Granger we all got to know. However it would be cool to see what other roles make it her way down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

How did we go from Doctor Who to medical doctors?

I certainly don't want her to keep picking the same roles, but I also don't know I'd want her to pick Doctor Who if the opportunity ever arose. Then she would be stuck in the same role again for a while. That was a problem with her playing Hermione in HP. With the length of filming, she never really had the opportunity to do other projects, and it would have been interesting to see her do other things in her younger years.

Maybe she could be a Doctor Who villain.

If I understand her right, she is looking for roles giving her a feeling of "comfort". So this will be difficult, because

- Emma considers herself not as "sexy" (so no Bond-girl, no sexy villain or something of this kind)

- Emma is not a "bad person" (so no villain, normal or super-)

- Emma is a intelligent person (so no dumb girl or wife, letting herself down by a man)

and so on....

I still think the best for her would be a good english comedy with a brilliant british cast.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

I don't think our current Emma is a comedian. She's too streamlined, or too well put-together for that. IMO without the ability to cast yourself as a a bit bumbling you lack the trait of a comedian. Of course she could simply play someone sharp-tongued and sarcastic, but that gets stale quickly. BTW, judging from her tweets, Evanna Lynch could be great in a comedy role.

I do think "villainous" roles would serve her well, as long as it's simply about being self-serving and calculating. She can do that, as she's going to prove in Bling Ring.

Didn't I mention 'villains'? I wasn't only talking about bitchy high school girls. Any complex character with a darker side, I think she could sink her teeth into that.

Also all kinds of characters pulled out of literary fiction. I think she can do well if she has a good idea of what the character is like. That's the Hermione part in her.

Of course you need a link to the character.

If she has the energy and the patience she could play every character like Daniel Day Lewis. He takes time, plays in a few films, but is always brilliant.

But in my opinion she wants so many things to do, that she wont have the patience.

And if i may say so, for an romantic comedy you don´t need much comedy talent. There are jokes, but none you have to perform in a way like stand up comedy or so on. Has you ever seen Notting Hill and co?

She can do this, in my opinion. And she has proofed so in Hp, as she had made some side gags. 

If I understand her right, she is looking for roles giving her a feeling of "comfort". So this will be difficult, because

- Emma considers herself not as "sexy" (so no Bond-girl, no sexy villain or something of this kind)

- Emma is not a "bad person" (so no villain, normal or super-)

- Emma is a intelligent person (so no dumb girl or wife, letting herself down by a man)

and so on....

I still think the best for her would be a good english comedy with a brilliant british cast.

If she don´t think that she is "sexy" Nikki is the wrong role, too.

Nikki is a "bad" person, and she wanted to play her because she is bad.

If you are intelligent it don´t mean you can play an idiot. could be funny to play one.

And at least. if she Plays Doctor who she will have time in the break to make some other projects, don´t she? nothing too big of course, but ...

And if i may say so, for an romantic comedy you don´t need much comedy talent. There are jokes, but none you have to perform in a way like stand up comedy or so on. Has you ever seen Notting Hill and co?

Yes, I know what a rom-com is.

But saying that you need no comedic talent is like saying you don't need much musical talent to be a certain kind of musician. That's kind of true, but then that music is mostly horrible. If you don't want a cringe-inducing film, you have to have people deliver a good performance. Of course she would be perfect for being the beauty at the heart of it that doesn't do anything but looking cute, but would Emma want that? I don't think so. Would I as a consumer want that? Hell no.

Nikki is a "bad" person, and she wanted to play her because she is bad.

Nikki a "bad" person? Mnah, come one. I have another image in mind when talking about a "bad" person. Nikki is a misguided and maybe a little dumb teenager, maybe not very bright (the character, not Emma), using her body as "weapon" and "key" for things. But this is not a "bad role". When talking about "beautiful, but bad" I am thinking f.e. on Sophie Marceau in James Bond. But not on Nikki.

i never said she should only look cute.

But you have to create a character and play this one, there make jokes, but they seems real to them. For them there are less jokes than things they say normal.

So I think she can do this. Why do you think she is lucking a comedy talents?

See the bond last night, too?^^

Yes she is not evil but not good eather. Okay lets say she is a Person, like many others, too, but stays a little bit more in the bad side.

Edited by Badab