The Emma-Watson.net Forum

What are your thoughts (what seems never ending) conflict that's going on in the Middle East?

Do you particularly support or sympathize with one side?

Here's a link for those who've been following up or are just plain curious what's been occurring: http://timelines.latimes.com/israel-gaza-conflict/

Personally, I support neither, yet sympathize with both. The situation is enormously complex, and even the facts + examining the big picture from an unbiased viewpoint doesn't really help. Both sides commit atrocities. When Israel retaliates against Hamas rocket attacks, more civilians perish than actual terrorists. In their constitution, Hamas overtly seeks to destroy all of Israel and wipe out all Israelis. However, many of the Palestinian refugees just want a place to call home, and want nothing to do with war and violence.

Sadly, the other surrounding Middle Eastern countries kicked the Palestinians out of their countries. An influx of millions of refugees was not sustainable, so instead, they armed many of them with weapons and told them to take Israel. Now, of course, we have this terrible, ambiguous conflict in the Gaza strip.

Innocent civilians on both sides, the ordinary person hardly wishes war, he/she just wants to go on with his life. Yet the mutual history is long and too many generations are already born into an unfriendly atmosphere. It is a very unfortunate situation. :-/

When I first saw this topic posted I immediately freaked. In the past I have has to deal with very harsh posts about Israel. I really appreciate your unbiased view. Thank you.

I lived in Israel so of course I'm "on their side". But that doesn't mean I hate Palestinians and want them all to die. I feel terrible for the civilians in gaze who live everyday under this terrible terrorist group. There is nothing good that can really be said about Hamas.

Operation Pillar of Defense has caused me so much anxiety. I have friends in the army. I have family and friends who lives in constant fear of rockets. It's been like this for 11 years now. That's not okay. There have been thousand of rockets fired this yet alone, before the operation was even thought of. I support Israel's right to defend themselves. No one should need to run to a bomb shelter on average 3 times a day.

Cease fire talks have failed which is awful. Ground invasion looks like its inevitable. Things are only escalating. Today, jihad which is another terrorist organization blew up a bus in central tel aviv. For those who don't know tel aviv is basically the secular center of Israel. This is a big deal. There have been more and more rockets over central areas too. In the past it has only been the south.

This whole thing has honestly been making me sick with worry over all my friends and family. I have been a mess. And I am sure that everyone "on the other side" feels the same way I do. All we can do is keep praying that everyone will stay safe and this will end soon.

UUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH.

Well, I am a pacifist. I mean, I assume most people are since many do not have the "let's go to war, yeah!" mentality, but for the sake of argument against those who do, I don't believe violence is the answer, as cheesy and cliche as that is.

That said, the whole situation is a mess for both parties and while I don't condone violence, I recognize the struggles each side is facing. At the end of the day, it's neither of their fault that they ended up fighting over this land. However, I do find it mind boggling that I was learning about this conflict in grade 8, 10 years ago, and there's been practically no progress since then. And the conflict obviously goes wayyy beyond that, all the way to the creation of this country on land that did not belong to the decision makers. And, if we really want to trace it back, we can look to biblical times. So how can a country even stand a chance with centuries and centuries of conflict?

One mentality I really disagree with is that if you support Palestine over Israel you are automatically grouped as anti-Semite, which I think is ridiculous, because I'm sure while some people are anti-Semitic, the two groups are not mutually exclusive. I think you can look at the way news is spun, and if you're a critical thinker you may start to see the side of Palestine more clearly. The following image kind of demonstrates the media bias we see in my country:

But... yes, I suppose my answer is similar to the original post: both sides are wrong for using violence, but they're also kind of right because the situation they've been put in by outside sources is not fair. Still, there should be better ways to deal with that, other than war.

At the end of the day, it's neither of their fault that they ended up fighting over this land.

That's what I say too, at least about the younger generations of Israelis; those who were born in a state whose founding was a terrible mistake. But they've grown up there, have friends and family and jobs there, who would give all of that up?

A cease-fire agreement was just reached. Thank G-D. I just hope it lasts, because in the past it hasn't.

Of course as they are announcing it on the news the reporter keeps turning around and pointing out the rockets Hamas just fired. Crazy.

That's what I say too, at least about the younger generations of Israelis; those who were born in a state whose founding was a terrible mistake. But they've grown up there, have friends and family and jobs there, who would give all of that up?

Exactly. This reminds me of a conversation I had on Twitter last week about Uganda's "Kill the Gays" bill. One guy said "Well, that's easy, if you're gay you should not live in Uganda." (To be fair, I'm sure he meant it flippantly, not as a serious suggestion.) I replied with something along the lines of "Yes, of course, whenever I disagree with my government I think, 'welp, I guess it's time to pack up and leave behind everyone and everything I know and love.'"

And that's exactly the point of this. Because there are probably PLENTY of people on either side who disagree with what is happening, but they are born into this place, and it's all they know and NOTHING is as simple as saying "I don't like this, let's just change it" in this kind of situation. I think it's very easy for those of us on the outside to look at this and say "HEY, WHY DON'T YOU JUST STOP FIGHTING." But we can't possibly know what it's REALLY like to see your country in that situation.

I know I disagree with my government a lot, but I love my country. My patriotism has been called into question since I'm planning on moving away for a few years, but I am still fiercely patriotic. And I know if somebody attacked Canada I would be on Canada's side indefinitely and possibly be blinded by the decisions my government makes that I may have previously found to be wrong. So I can't blame people for becoming irrational when the future of their home is called into question.

And that's exactly the point of this. Because there are probably PLENTY of people on either side who disagree with what is happening, but they are born into this place, and it's all they know and NOTHING is as simple as saying "I don't like this, let's just change it" in this kind of situation. I think it's very easy for those of us on the outside to look at this and say "HEY, WHY DON'T YOU JUST STOP FIGHTING." But we can't possibly know what it's REALLY like to see your country in that situation.

I would say this point may be true for people in gaza but not so much Israel. Most Israeli's are very supportive of the government. The truth is they have a good government. The system is a litte weird but its good. People dot just live in Israel because they were born there. They believe in the country. Furthermore there are thousands of people who continue to move there because they believe in the country. I just wanted to point that out. I have lived there and go back a lot so I am on the inside. Also there have been a lot of rallies in Israel about both sides of the issue. The government did take that into consideration. They very much care about their people's voice.

I feel like the Israeli government IS very good... to Israelis and people they ally with. But they've also done rather awful things, as demonstrated here and in several other recent events. And while, obviously, governments SHOULD put the best interests of their citizens first (otherwise why have govt), they also need to take the international community as a whole into account. If EVERY country just did what they wanted without considering other countries we'd have... well, what we used to have. A country being invaded by another country and taken over every second week. :P

I feel like the Israeli government IS very good... to Israelis and people they ally with. But they've also done rather awful things, as demonstrated here and in several other recent events. And while, obviously, governments SHOULD put the best interests of their citizens first (otherwise why have govt), they also need to take the international community as a whole into account. If EVERY country just did what they wanted without considering other countries we'd have... well, what we used to have. A country being invaded by another country and taken over every second week. :P

My point was only to respond to what you wrote about many people not supporting the government. I just waned to explain, that in fact, most Israeli's are supportive. Just a little education :P haha

I don't want to address your posts too much because honestly I have really gotten burned on here before for my support of Israel. I just don't have it in me to get into all the details. I just want to comment on the last part of what you wrote. They obviously are taking the international community into account as they have just agreed to a cease-fire. Honestly, a cease-fire is not in Israel's best interests. They have not worked in the past, and it probably wont work this time. Based on the fact the cease-fire goes into affect now and for the past hour (since the cease-fire was announced) Hamas has shot rockets into Israel. Not a great start. But, that is besides the point. The point is that Israel's government worked very closely with the international community this time around. They were in constant talks with the US, many European countries, and even Canada. If they didn't take the international community into account then there would have been a ground invasion 8 days ago. But, the international community pushed for a cease-fire. My point is, Israel is not just worrying about itself. Which is pretty insane since they have every right too in this situation. Additionally, Israel has continued to provide Gaza with aid throughout this entire operation. Most people don't know that because mainstream media will not report it. But, I can supply you with credible sources that have discussed the aid Israel has provided for Gaza. So no, I don't really think that the Israeli government just does what they want. If they did, we would be in a very different situation currently.

(I am sorry if that sounded harsh. I have been sick the past few days and apparently my writing has been getting a bit harsh haha. My friends were all telling me yesterday they keep thinking I am mad at them. :P )

Most People dot just live in Israel because they were born there. They believe in the country. Furthermore there are thousands of people who continue to move there because they believe in the country.

I have a feeling that we could find a great many Israelis who'd say they won't leave because they were born there. If you're moving to Israel just to make a point, that's one of the dumbest ideas of the century, considering the bloody fighting over settlement space.

I have a feeling that we could find a great many Israelis who'd say they won't leave because they were born there. If you're moving to Israel just to make a point, that's one of the dumbest ideas of the century, considering the bloody fighting over settlement space.

If you look hard enough you can find support for anything. Of course there are people who may say that, but it is not a large group. will reiterate that I lived there so I kind of know first hand. I didn't say people moved to Israel just to prove a point that is not why they are making the move. I completely agree with you that would be a dumb idea and probably unsuccessful. Just as it would be if I moved to Alaska to prove a point.

I don't think you're harsh! Like I said, I'm on neither side, and at the same time I sympathize with each side. And you have a pretty unique view that I find really interesting. :)

Cease-fires are always... I don't know how to put it, but part of me never believes them. Like, sure Hamas and the Israeli government can agree they won't do anything, but that won't stop say... Mr Crazy Patriot from doing something to make EVERYONE flair up again. I think when you have a lot of intense, on-going violence, it's really hard to be like "Okay, and we stop.... NOW."

I wasn't trying to say that specifically Israel is looking out only for itself and not thinking of others, but merely that I can see why governments (generally speaking) would choose not to, but why it's important that they do. I know that Israel is in contact with, and supported by, much of the Western world (and the media is skewed that way, as demonstrated in the image I posted earlier).

Also, again unrelated to any points really discussed, it would be interesting to find out more about the non-Hamas-affiliated civilians on the Palestine side. We don't hear much about them.

Thank you :D

I find your posts very interesting as well. I really love to get different perspectives on situations. I find that it just makes me a better rounded person. I am less judgmental and more open. Reading your posts lets me view things differently and I appreciate that.

Very true. The cease-fire has in fact already failed, as I thought it would. 5 rockets have been fired into Gaza since the cease-fire has been made official. I just saw that on CNN. So obviously this is working out super well lol. Its very true, how do you really get people to stop?

Yes I agree that it is important to keep up good relations with other governments. But, sometimes a country does need to do whats best for itself. I will say this. I am choosing not to convey my personal thoughts on the following because I can go on for hours. I am just stating some things. I just spoke to a close friend of mine after they announced the cease-fire. He is in the Israeli army. He was telling me that everyone was so upset over the cease-fire. The general Israeli population feel that the government has failed them. They know the cease-fire wont work because it never has before. The people feel that the government chose the cease-fire because it is what all the other countries wanted. But, that the government is not taking the right step to protecting their own people. I saw some of my other friends posts on facebook. It was really hard to read how everyone there just feels hopeless. Not even angry, just sad and hopeless. I was not aware that so many people were against the cease-fire. I was not aware that it would make the majority of people living there feel so hopeless. So yes, sometimes a government should really consider doing whats best for itself.

I agree. I don't think we will ever hear from that population because if the speak out then Hamas kills them. That's the issue with these terrorist organizations.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Tara. I'm Pro-Israel AND Pro-Palestine (I'M PRO-HUMAN BEING). I'm against terrorist organizations and I'm against Israel's stance with Palestine. I've always related Israel's occupation over Palestinian land by destroying their homes, building walls etc. to the beginning of America with pioneers coming and killing off all the natives. That part is just not right. It's unjust and barbaric in itself. Of course the Israeli people deserve their own land, but they must respect the land and share the land in some respects. There are Jews, Muslims and Christians alike in these places like Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Israel and Palestine both have these diversities, but the percentage in the demographics vary of course. I just feel that Israel along with Palestine must come to a civilized agreement with each other. Both have great things to offer and both could do greater things by working with each other.

SO with all this going on in Gaza... No person deserves to have to go through what is going on over in that part of the world. It's horrific and very sad. I have great sympathy for the Israeli's and the Palestinians. I am thrilled and very pleased to hear about the cease fire. BUT I also question the longevity of it. Terrorists won't abide by anything and could continue doing their dastardly deeds anyhow. But, in general this is very good and could lead to further de-escalating.

I base my comments of what I have seen in the news and from people I know. I have a friend who is Palestinian descent and has told me many things that she and her family deal with. They can't even visit her family in Palestine right now due to so many things. They're not allowed basically. I'm against anything that violates peace. I could go on, I'm sure... but my mind is kind of tired right now lol but my thoughts are to all the decent and good human beings that live in both places.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest Israeli bombing of the peace process is p. hilarious. Are Israeli politicians really that obliged to cater to the masses to stay in office? Our own appeasement government decided to play Switzerland, which was almost an act of rebellion but provoked Netanyahu to reminisce about that special bond between our countries. Because the Holocaust places a moral responsibility on us to tolerate the killing of Palestinian children. :rofl:

The latest Israeli bombing of the peace process is p. hilarious. Are Israeli politicians really that obliged to cater to the masses to stay in office? Our own appeasement government decided to play Switzerland, which was almost an act of rebellion but provoked Netanyahu to reminisce about that special bond between our countries. Because the Holocaust places a moral responsibility on us to tolerate the killing of Palestinian children. :rofl:

1. There hasn't been any rockets since the cease-fire

2. America did not play Switzerland at all. In fact they were very involved every step of the way.

3. Your last sentence is utterly ridiculous and as someone who's grandparents are all Holocaust survivors I find it extremely offensive that you would choose to use that smiley and make a joke out of it. Think before you write.

1. There hasn't been any rockets since the cease-fire

I wasn't talking about rockets though. I was talking about the proclamation (= threat) of building further settlements.

2. America did not play Switzerland at all. In fact they were very involved every step of the way.

I'm German.

3. Your last sentence is utterly ridiculous and as someone who's grandparents are all Holocaust survivors I find it extremely offensive that you would choose to use that smiley and make a joke out of it. Think before you write.

We as human beings should find it extremely offensive that Israel simply expects Germans to sanctify their expansionist ambitions that will only lead to more suffering and killing of a minority in their country, then alluding to the very same thing that happened in Germany as if we were then obliged to show complicity.

What's going on right now can only be called Israel trolling the world. And yes, we mad.

I wasn't talking about rockets though. I was talking about the proclamation (= threat) of building further settlements.

I'm German.

We as human beings should find it extremely offensive that Israel simply expects Germans to sanctify their expansionist ambitions that will only lead to more suffering and killing of a minority in their country, then alluding to the very same thing that happened in Germany as if we were then obliged to show complicity.

What's going on right now can only be called Israel trolling the world. And yes, we mad.

Where in earth are you getting your information from? Israel is not expanding at all at the moment nor is that the issue at hand. Also, Israel doesn't expect anything from Germany. Israel's only goal is to defend themselves from rockets. That is all. But, there is a cease-fire now so that issue is kind of null and void. Israel is not expanding at the moment. They are currently focused on the election. Your information is either from a non-reliable source or outdated. I am actually leaning more towards the latter.

Where in earth are you getting your information from? Israel is not expanding at all at the moment nor is that the issue at hand.

Pardon?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Barbara+Yaffe+Israel+settlement+construction+security+issue/7661793/story.html (very first news post I found)

Also, Israel doesn't expect anything from Germany.

Well, you're wrong. Meeting with Merkel, Netanyahu said he was disappointed at our abstention and made a very thinly veiled reference to our historical guilt.

Pardon?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Barbara+Yaffe+Israel+settlement+construction+security+issue/7661793/story.html (very first news post I found)

Well, you're wrong. Meeting with Merkel, Netanyahu said he was disappointed at our abstention and made a very thinly veiled reference to our historical guilt.

Vancouver sun, really? Lol. Anyways putting that aside I thought you were talking about building in gaza which is not happening. In fact, the building probabably won't happen at all. Where they are talking about, no one lives. So no, they are not killing anyone in order to build. I have actually been near that area. It's literally all desert and nothingness. Anyways the building probably won't happen. Anyways it wouldn't hurt anyone if they did decide to build there since there is currently nothing actually there.

As for the Germany part. That's what Netanyahu says but not necessarily means. They are currently in elections there so he is basically working every angle. Honestly, in the past Israel hasn't had much to do with Germany and I don't see that changing. Of course they don't want to make an enemy but I don't think they actually expect much from Germany.

But I will reiterate for both points. Israel is in elections right now. Netanyahu is campaigning. Don't judge the entire country by his campaign. Just like any campaign, it doesn't necassarily mean a thing. None of the things you mentioned are actually happening currently. All just talks.

Vancouver sun, really? Lol.

It was in the news everywhere FFS :rolleyes: That one took 5 seconds to find on Google.

Anyways putting that aside I thought you were talking about building in gaza which is not happening. In fact, the building probabably won't happen at all.

Like I implied in my post, it was certainly partly just rhetoric. Doesn't make it less offensive though, rite?

Where they are talking about, no one lives. So no, they are not killing anyone in order to build. I have actually been near that area. It's literally all desert and nothingness. Anyways the building probably won't happen. Anyways it wouldn't hurt anyone if they did decide to build there since there is currently nothing actually there.

I think we can safely assume that expansionism won't stop or be limited to empty spaces forever.

As for the Germany part. That's what Netanyahu says but not necessarily means. They are currently in elections there so he is basically working every angle. Honestly, in the past Israel hasn't had much to do with Germany and I don't see that changing. Of course they don't want to make an enemy but I don't think they actually expect much from Germany.

His statements, again, could just be a tad populistic. My question was actually serious, if such sabre-rattling and finger pointing is necessary for Israeli politicians.

It was in the news everywhere FFS :rolleyes: That one took 5 seconds to find on Google.

Like I implied in my post, it was certainly partly just rhetoric. Doesn't make it less offensive though, rite?

I think we can safely assume that expansionism won't stop or be limited to empty spaces forever.

His statements, again, could just be a tad populistic. My question was actually serious, if such sabre-rattling and finger pointing is necessary for Israeli politicians.

I wouldn't generalize all Israeli politicians because of one remark Netanyahu made. Was it a poor choice of words? Yes. Should I be up in arms freaking out about Israel due to one remark? No. Politicians say a lot of stupid things during campaigns. That doesn't make it right, just a point. They have to please so many people. And the political system in Israel is crazy. There are a ton of different party's. itsk ind of insane. The whole thing is very hard to follow. Netanyahu is trying to please a lot of different people. His choice of words was not right. However, don't be so quick to assume that Israel is just going to start building right and left. I wouldn't be so quick to jump up and say they are gonna start expanding to more populated areas. Regardless, there are no actual plans of expansion at all. Not that it's really much expansion. That area is right next to a huge Israeli city.

P.s. very interesting conversation, but I must go to sleep. So that's why I won't respond again. Have a lovely whatever time of day it is by you.