The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma out in London - November 26th

I'm sorry, but no, actors are not "persons of public interest" in any way that would justify the world wanting, let alone needing, to know details about their private lives. Seriously, what good does it do society to know what club Emma partied in or who she had lunch with? None. Therefore, not a public interest matter.

I also think you make a really wrong correlation between being an artist and wanting to be famous. Somebody like Michelle Williams for instance has no interest in being famous, or even having a good image - she only wants to do a good job in good movies and she doesn't seem to care what people think about the way she leads her life. Somebody like Paris Hilton, on the other hand, craves publicity because she has no talent whatsoever and being in gossip mags is her only way of existing in the public eye, something which she, along with countless other starlets, seems to think is an end in itself.

I think Emma has stated often enough that she's in this industry for the acting, not for the fame game. So I don't see why she should pretend otherwise. And I don't see why we should pretend she should do so either. As far as I'm concerned, I really admire her - I don't think I could have dealt with the privacy intrusions she's had to deal with, and from such a young age too.

Would YOU want the world to see shots of your underwear, to read your private emails or to know about your breakups?! Life is difficult enough as it is. Don't you understand it only makes things more painful and/or embarrassing if you have to deal with what happens in your life both in private AND in public? Don't you understand we don't own people just because we pay a few euros/pounds/dollars to watch their movies?!

I totally agree with you. I consider myself a rather decent, polite and friendly human being but on some days I just can't bring myself to smile or make the extra effort to be nice to random people. I think most of us are that way. So why should people who get harassed on a whole different level be held accountable to an even higher standard than the one we hold ourselves accountable for?

I Love you <3

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason is kinda there in the premise:

"the culture, practices and ethics of the press, including contacts between the press and politicians and the press and the police; it is to consider the extent to which the current regulatory regime has failed and whether there has been a failure to act upon any previous warnings about media misconduct."

that means everything and nothing, thank you very much

Oh for crying out loud, stop with the "it's not prohibited by law" excuse. Forget the fact that they're celebs, forget the "british law", what's your opinion as a human being about this situation discussed above? Do you think as an effing human being that, since it's not prohibited by law, these pictures are okay to be taken without the permission of any woman no matter what the age? Do you support this? Do you think it's their fault? Do you think they have to act like cautious little robots, or like dolls with no will of their own, smiling to everyone who asks them to, so they are not sexually assaulted, or criticised? Do you?

Bullying is not prohibited by law as well. At least not yet. So it's okay to bully others, right?

On Emma's 18th birthday, she was violated by someone taking photos up her skirt, and likewise on pretty much every woman's 18th birthday they are opening themselves up to a world where people think they can just take what they want, when they want it. Whether it be men groping on a crowded train, or groups of men following you down the road at night making comments-- it's a very real problem that MANY women face. I'm not famous, and I have had groups of drunk men yelling at me and chasing me down the street. It has nothing to do with fame, it has to do with being female-identified in a world controlled by white cis-gendered males who have every bit of power in the world (not hating against all of you, since many are lovely, but there are those ones that ruin your stereotype for you ;) ).

There is NO REASON why any woman should have to "learn to exit a car properly." All of us should REALLY be able to walk around COMPLETELY NAKED without fear of being assaulted. That should be a basic human right. If you think it's just the "famous" people being called a slut or a whore and having their personal space and right to their own body invaded to invoke a reaction then... wow. I mean, at least Emma has the protection of a ton of witnesses and enough lawyers to sue the pants off anyone who might touch her, but that still doesn't undermine the fact that she has been PUBLICLY ASSAULTED. :angry:

A- effing- MEN to that. You may not see me, but I'm hugging the screen right now.

Edited by Nekyia

Oh for crying out loud, stop with the "it's not prohibited by law" excuse. Forget the fact that they're celebs, forget the "british law", what's your opinion as a human being about this situation discussed above? Do you think as an effing human being that, since it's not prohibited by law, these pictures are okay to be taken without the permission of any woman no matter what the age? Do you support this? Do you think it's their fault? Do you think they have to act like cautious little robots, or like dolls with no will of their own, smiling to everyone who asks them to, so they are not sexually assaulted, or criticised? Do you?

Bullying is not prohibited by law as well. At least not yet. So it's okay to bully others, right?

A- effing- MEN to that. You may not see me, but I'm hugging the screen right now.

First of all, human beeings in exeptional positions (actors, politicians.....) must be aware that their life is different to the life of "normal" people. The other way round these humans have possibilities, other, normal people never will have. Human beeings are in many ways still like the animals, they were 100.000 years ago. So do not expect that they will change their attitude or behaviour within a day, only because you or anyone else in this forum or a government building wants it.

For the records: NO, I HAVE THE OPINION THAT THE BEHAVIOUR OF SOME MEMBERS OF THE BRITISH PRESS IS NOT RIGHT AND IN SOME SITUATIONS AGAINST ALL FORMS OF DECENT BEHAVIOUR WITHIN A HUMAN SOCIETY. BUT IT IS HAPPENING EVERY DAY OUT THERE AND NOBODY SO FAR COULD CHANGE IT.

But even the knowledge that it is not right and fair WILL NOT CHANGE their way of treating human beeings, we call "celebrities" or "people of public interest".

So, everything a human beeing in this extraordinary position can do is to COPE with such situations in a personal way. We are still discussing the WAY, this can happen and we have different point of views. But my point of view does not implicate that I AGREE to that behaviour, for heavens sake. Is my english so bad or does some people her simply not want to understand me??????

NB: In Austria bullying is a offence, handled either by school authorities or criminal prosecution. Is it really so that GB is so far behind in this matters??????

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

So, everything a human beeing in this extraordinary position can do is to COPE with such situations in a personal way. We are still discussing the WAY, this can happen and we have different point of views. But my point of view does not implicate that I AGREE to that behaviour, for heavens sake. Is my english so bad or does some people her simply not want to understand me??????

You keep supporting the paps saying they can do what they want because the british law doesn't prohibit it and you keep saying that Emma should be careful of how she walks and how she gets out of a car, and if she doesn't well that's her FAULT and that she SHOULD smile to all these people who don't respect her because she's not a normal person, because she has some sort of a contract that she HAS to tolerate all this because she's a public figure. And then when we ask you, you only say "does what I say imply that I agree with what the paps do????" Well, yes it does.

I'm not saying that the paps are going to stop harassing celebs, or that any person will stop harassing a woman on the streets based on what, we over here, say. But what we can actually do, and be "we" I mean "you", is to stop trying to justify the paps and their behaviour towards any celeb, based solely on the fact that no one will ever stop them or that the celebs had it coming!

You keep supporting the paps saying they can do what they want because the british law doesn't prohibit it and you keep saying that Emma should be careful of how she walks and how she gets out of a car, and if she doesn't well that's her FAULT and that she SHOULD smile to all these people who don't respect her because she's not a normal person, because she has some sort of a contract that she HAS to tolerate all this because she's a public figure. And then when we ask you, you only say "does what I say imply that I agree with what the paps do????" Well, yes it does.

I'm not saying that the paps are going to stop harassing celebs, or that any person will stop harassing a woman on the streets based on what, we over here, say. But what we can actually do, and be "we" I mean "you", is to stop trying to justify the paps and their behaviour towards any celeb, based solely on the fact that no one will ever stop them or that the celebs had it coming!

Phuu, I have to improve my english. I am under the imagination, I am talking Hindi or something.....

The paps are there. They behave like they behave. Nobody of us here will change them. This can only be done by the british people themselfs. No pap will say tomorrow: "Sorry folks, I behaved like a bad child. Will not happen again." The process of transforming such things can take month, years... if it ever happen (thinking on Diana, Princess of Wales).

I did not say that Emma or every other celebrity must tolerate that behaviour, but I am under the impression, that they have no power in hands to stop it. And, reading the Leveson report and the reactions of the politicians, I am in doubt that there will ever be such power. So, and this is the only point I wanted to discuss, is, what a celeb can do AS LONG AS THIS BEHAVIOUR, TOLERATED BY THE PEOPLE AND PAID BY THE EDITORS, remains. And I asked the simple question, if it is not better to USE them neither then AVOID them.

I'm sorry, but no, actors are not "persons of public interest" in any way that would justify the world wanting, let alone needing, to know details about their private lives. Seriously, what good does it do society to know what club Emma partied in or who she had lunch with? None. Therefore, not a public interest matter.

I also think you make a really wrong correlation between being an artist and wanting to be famous. Somebody like Michelle Williams for instance has no interest in being famous, or even having a good image - she only wants to do a good job in good movies and she doesn't seem to care what people think about the way she leads her life. Somebody like Paris Hilton, on the other hand, craves publicity because she has no talent whatsoever and being in gossip mags is her only way of existing in the public eye, something which she, along with countless other starlets, seems to think is an end in itself.

I think Emma has stated often enough that she's in this industry for the acting, not for the fame game. So I don't see why she should pretend otherwise. And I don't see why we should pretend she should do so either. As far as I'm concerned, I really admire her - I don't think I could have dealt with the privacy intrusions she's had to deal with, and from such a young age too.

Would YOU want the world to see shots of your underwear, to read your private emails or to know about your breakups?! Life is difficult enough as it is. Don't you understand it only makes things more painful and/or embarrassing if you have to deal with what happens in your life both in private AND in public? Don't you understand we don't own people just because we pay a few euros/pounds/dollars to watch their movies?!

I totally agree with you. I consider myself a rather decent, polite and friendly human being but on some days I just can't bring myself to smile or make the extra effort to be nice to random people. I think most of us are that way. So why should people who get harassed on a whole different level be held accountable to an even higher standard than the one we hold ourselves accountable for?

This is brilliant, Neve!! Totally agree :yesyes:

And I asked the simple question, if it is not better to USE them neither then AVOID them.

And the answer to that is no.

Unless you want to be famous for being and doing nothing (e.g: reality TV 'stars).

Emma is an actress, she will let her acting do the talking, not whate she ate for lunch or what coloured tights she is wearing as she steps out of her car.

And I asked the simple question, if it is not better to USE them neither then AVOID them.

Would you ask a woman who has been sexually assaulted to smile and be nice to her attacker in order to try and gain something from them?

Because that's what you're asking Emma to do.

Would you ask a woman who has been sexually assaulted to smile and be nice to her attacker in order to try and gain something from them?

Because that's what you're asking Emma to do.

Excuse me, ling, but are you under the impression that the pics vom 26th of november are sexually assaulting???

No, but the ones on her 18th birthday were. Any time any photographer has tried to get under her skirt were. They have assaulted her in a sexual manner.

Then, they return for more photos, and you want her to smile?

No, but the ones on her 18th birthday were. Any time any photographer has tried to get under her skirt were. They have assaulted her in a sexual manner.

Then, they return for more photos, and you want her to smile?

I do not believe that this happens all the time; sorry if I am wrong but I can not imagine that there are constantly photographer lying on the pavement when Emma appears somewhere....

And before you ask: No, this was not right and should not happen. And I do not take the side of the paps. I am just a little bit more realistic about some things....

Again, I posted this before but here goes: what's BETTER for Emma and what is NOT depends mostly on her own preferences.

Does Emma want/ rely on pap shots of her to keep her in the news/ employed? If so, she should strike a pose and flash a little skin whenever there's a camera pointed in her general direction.

If she wants to minimize her exposal in the tabloids, it might be better to pull a frown and walk briskly by.

Now, in Emma's own words, she has enough money to "never have to work again". She's obviously not in dire need of employment/ exposal. Right now she's caught up in a lucky cycle anyway, being both a promising young actress and a bit of a fashionista, and the job offers and photoshoot requests seem to come to her naturally. She has also expressed dislike of paps/ the fame game.

All of that comes together neatly to form one conclusion: she doesn't need to expose herself to paps. It simply doesn't make sense. Maybe a number of people would enjoy her going along more willingly with the tabloid stuff, maybe because they want to see her in the way of other female movie stars/ divas. But that's not Emma, not at the moment anyway. So I think she does handle the matter the RIGHT WAY right now.

Reading for hours the Leveson-report I get a little bit exhausted.

Browsing the page of the "Guardian", I found the following comment of a reader:

**quote on**

There are many exclusive places where celebrities and their families can go for dinner or drinks without being bothered.

The mistake is to think you can still go to "normal" places and not cause absolute astonishment when you, a living god, breeze in "for a pizza"

And let's also not have Emma Watson et al moaning about paparazzi ruining their lives. Stop going to the same nightclubs in the West End where they are all waiting for you, and if you must go, use the special VIP entrance away from the front door. You are rich enough to buy as much privacy as you want.

**quote off**

Reading for hours the Leveson-report I get a little bit exhausted.

Browsing the page of the "Guardian", I found the following comment of a reader:

**quote on**

There are many exclusive places where celebrities and their families can go for dinner or drinks without being bothered.

The mistake is to think you can still go to "normal" places and not cause absolute astonishment when you, a living god, breeze in "for a pizza"

And let's also not have Emma Watson et al moaning about paparazzi ruining their lives. Stop going to the same nightclubs in the West End where they are all waiting for you, and if you must go, use the special VIP entrance away from the front door. You are rich enough to buy as much privacy as you want.

**quote off**

sounds pretty meh/ half-assed though.

Exclusive places? Who wants to live in a ghetto (call it a golden cage, doesn't change anything). Completely relatable that she (and her friends, who have only a fraction of her popularity) want to simply go out like everyone else does.

Stop going to nightclubs? Best advice ever, except not.

Buying privacy? In what universe? You can relegate yourself to the life of an alien, maybe. Trying to live a normal life while being famous inevitably leads to intrusion of your privacy.

This is going nowhere.

Everyone on here except Jonny thinks that Emma is handling fame well, and she is right to feel that she shouldn't have to smile for the paps.

Jonny, you are on your own here. You can waste your time reading the leveson enquiry and you can desperately search the Internet looking for a comment where someone, Anyone shares a similar opinion to yourself, but in my opinion it just feels like you are looking for an argument in almost every thread that you post in.

If you are a fan of Emma, then support her and let her make her own decisions about what she should and shouldn't do in public. It's her life, she can go where she wants, when she wants and with who she wants. She is not going to shut herself in her house and never go anywhere for fear of there being a paparazzi around, it would drive her - ANYONE - insane.

Why Mr Carinthia has to make an argument on all topics? I look at all this and I'm like 'what happened?'' Can someone explain?

edit: I posted before reading jo's last comment.

Edited by helen2U

Jo, thank you-you said things more delicately than I would....Emma, Rupert, Dan, ANY celebrity should not have to hole themselves up somewhere and live life so cautiously (hiding out, avoiding places) when it comes to their fame. We fans for the most part should be respectful of their lives. They are human beings just like us. The paps make me seriously want to vomit-they are cruel, rude, mean, and dont care who they hurt as long as they get their precious pictures. To literally CHASE, SCREAM AT, GET INTO A FACE of a person, I mean dont they see how SICK that is!?! The paps in the US I think are alot worse personally. When the paps take Emma's pic, I would SO be frowning, looking mighty pissed and angry-Emma could easily give them the f off gesture, but she doesnt. Why? The young woman has too much class-plus she knows the paps crave that-to be cussed at-they dont care s long as they get their private shot. I think for anyone to comment about a celebrity frowning or looking sad etc-think about it-wouldnt you also look like that with a camera shoved in your face? Like someone said, the Paris Hiltons, Jersey Shore people, meaning the non actors, they want that attention because they have no other talent other than making fools of themselves in front of millions.

As a fan of Emma's and as many fans of Emma here, we will defend her and support her always. She is an extremely talented young actress who I look forward to seeing in future projects. :)

Buying privacy? In what universe? You can relegate yourself to the life of an alien, maybe. Trying to live a normal life while being famous inevitably leads to intrusion of your privacy.

Also it's probably not healthy to hide yourself away in a big residence and frequent only exclusive places. It seems to take a toll on people's mental health. *cough* McAfee *cough*

Buying privacy? In what universe?

For example in the universe of Heathrow Airport. Instead of fighting the paps at arrivals you can book a service, providing you with a car from the arrival-gate of the flight. You will be directly brought to a discreet imigration-counter, get your luggage and you are out of the terminal within minutes without seeing on pap. It is possible.

For example in the universe of Heathrow Airport. Instead of fighting the paps at arrivals you can book a service, providing you with a car from the arrival-gate of the flight. You will be directly brought to a discreet imigration-counter, get your luggage and you are out of the terminal within minutes without seeing on pap. It is possible.

She was staying at a university for years with paps around/ people taking sneaky photos of her. There was no way to get rid of those people with money.

If she wants to live a normal life and not bury herself in her house(s), some intrusion will always happen.