The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma out in London - November 26th

I thought you were the only one on this forum who did not understand that part.

I can live with that, really......

THIS is your reality. It might be different from somebody elses. Don't fight, don't argue - try to understand (*why* s/he thinks that way) is a great exercise to keep your mind open. Maybe you need to rethink about what you know... Or what you think you know ...

Edited by Jonny Carinthia
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can live with that, really......

THIS is your reality. It might be different from somebody elses. Don't fight, don't argue - try to understand (*why* s/he thinks that way) is a great exercise to keep your mind open. Maybe you need to rethink about what you know... Or what you think you know ...

Don't worry about me, it's a great piece of advice as I didn't read every piece of argument you caused/participated/stretched out of proportion. We'll both take this advice seriously. :yesyes:

The bottom line is no one-celebrity or athlete or anyone should have a camera in their faces while out doing everyday day things like hanging with your family, going to a coffe shop, pumping gas etc...it comes with the territory but it shouldnt. I just dont understand how some people think this is ok. I just dont. They are not exhibits in a musuem to have pics taken. I mean even some museums draw the line where pics can't be taken. Maybe someday things will change.

looks like Dan Radcliffe agrees with us, sensible man :yesyes:

Dan opened up about growing up in the spotlight, worrying that he would grow conceited but trusted in his parents and co-workers on the Potter films to keep him in check. He called the paparazzi "downright criminal" in their behaviour stating, "when else can five men chase a woman down an alley and that be okay" referring to how the paprazzo treated Emma after turning 18.

Makes me wonder if Emma has had it worse with the paps than the boys. I would expect so.

Oh definitely. Females always suffer more.

Dan hasn't been harrassed by the paps too much - although still more than he should.

Maybe Dan is just something smarter and more imaginative when it comes to the question how to deal with paps. And as far as I know he normally is not wearing a kilt (what brings me to the point that is is not forbidden for women to wear trousers).

1. Realize that there will paparazzi for a long time, because nobody will stop them (not even Mr. Cameron).

2. Find ways to disappoint paparazzi with creative ideas (thinking on Dan and his "6 month the same outfit-thing").

3. Wear clothing that is appropriate to the problem of paparazzi. You are also not going out in shorts when it is snowing.

4. Have fun in tricking paparazzi; you cannot get rid of them, so try to have fun.

Maybe Dan is just something smarter and more imaginative when it comes to the question how to deal with paps. And as far as I know he normally is not wearing a kilt (what brings me to the point that is is not forbidden for women to wear trousers).

Men are not chased half as much by paps than woman, Dan's comment should tell you that.

It's not that Dan is "smarter" than Emma when it comes to paps, it's literally that she is hounded a hell of a lot more.

2. Find ways to disappoint paparazzi with creative ideas (thinking on Dan and his "6 month the same outfit-thing").

I'm not familiar with Mr Radcliffe's habits, but I doubt he's dressing down just to annoy paparazzi. That would be some impressive trolling tho

3. Wear clothing that is appropriate to the problem of paparazzi. You are also not going out in shorts when it is snowing.

In Emma's case, it would be "snowing" all year round.

I'm not familiar with Mr Radcliffe's habits, but I doubt he's dressing down just to annoy paparazzi. That would be some impressive trolling tho

In Emma's case, it would be "snowing" all year round.

Sacred, Dan was playing at a theatre (I think in London) and the paps were standing each evening at the stage door. So Dan decided to wear each evening the same trousers and the same jacket (he said, he had some of the same items, so he "was able to wash"). The effect was even for Dan perfect. The paps stoped to take pictures of him, because these pics were worthless (each evening the same outfit means nobody knew when the pics were taken). After a short time he had no problem with the paps after the show and he found it soooo funny to look into their disappointed faces.

Oh, and Jo: of course paps are more interested in Emma. She appears perfectly styled in so many fashion-shootings or magazines, so it is no wonder that they are running behind her beauty and not behind "male beauty".....

Sacred, Dan was playing at a theatre (I think in London) and the paps were standing each evening at the stage door. So Dan decided to wear each evening the same trousers and the same jacket (he said, he had some of the same items, so he "was able to wash"). The effect was even for Dan perfect. The paps stoped to take pictures of him, because these pics were worthless (each evening the same outfit means nobody knew when the pics were taken). After a short time he had no problem with the paps after the show and he found it soooo funny to look into their disappointed faces.

I doubt that Emma wants to wear the (apparently) same outfit every day in Uni though. And it still begs the question why it's better to troll the paps than just ignore them (except for your own giggles)

I doubt that Emma wants to wear the (apparently) same outfit every day in Uni though. And it still begs the question why it's better to troll the paps than just ignore them (except for your own giggles)

Yes, women are different. And your question: ask Dan. I found it priceless funny and creativ. And not Dan ignored the paps, the paps ignored him after a week. And this is the thing, Dan, Emma & Co. wants, right?

Yes, women are different. And your question: ask Dan. I found it priceless funny and creativ. And not Dan ignored the paps, the paps ignored him after a week. And this is the thing, Dan, Emma & Co. wants, right?

I think it's safe to assume that this effect wears off as soon as you start dressing normally again. Hurr Durr

Men are chased less by the paparazzi and EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T they are "allowed" to act more surly. If a man punches a paparazzo in the face, he's on headlines for a bit, but nobody thinks THAT badly of him, they just think he's protecting himself. I.E. I was watching Alec Baldwin on a show last night and he said he never punched the paparazzo but the guy himself was walking down the street like "man this is a great shot! That's going to be so great!"

Meanwhile, if you're a woman who does the same thing, you're villianized and portrayed in the media as being mentally unstable a la Britney Spears. Granted, she was mentally unstable, but surely not enough to be portrayed that way forever, while other stars can, say, go on a hateful anti-Semitic, misogynistic or racist rants and still have healthy careers. I saw a video of Halle Berry chasing paparazzi away from her daughter and the way it was shown was also made to look like she was crazy and overbearing when she was just being a mom.

But these are all archaic, patriarchal belief systems that determine the way a woman should behave in public.

But these are all archaic, patriarchal belief systems that determine the way a woman should behave in public.

Dunno, if Emma cussed, clawed or kicked at paps I could totally understand that.

And I think Charlie Sheen raised the bar for mental instability in public :unsure:

Dunno, if Emma cussed, clawed or kicked at paps I could totally understand that.

And I think Charlie Sheen raised the bar for mental instability in public :unsure:

You want Emma to be part of a court-room-drama? Because I think (corrections wellcome) that it is a offence to kick or insult a pap......

You want Emma to be part of a court-room-drama? Because I think (corrections wellcome) that it is a offence to kick or insult a pap......

Wanting it isn't even beginning to describe it. I'd implore her to do so. Why, I'd give her martial arts lessons and show her how she can use her mean tiny hands to their fullest effect.

I said I'd understand if it happened. I don't have any 19th century ideas about how women must behave in public, and I can imagine how much it could piss someone off to be followed around.

YOU could understand that, since from what I've seen you're a relatively progressive sort who knows that women aren't just meant for babies and housework. :P SADLY, this is NOT the case for the majority of the world.

Charlie Sheen is a perfect example. He went ABSOLUTELY BATSHIT INSANE and still made A SHIT TON OF MONEY and it helped his career, rather than hinder it a la Britney.

YOU could understand that, since from what I've seen you're a relatively progressive sort who knows that women aren't just meant for babies and housework. :P SADLY, this is NOT the case for the majority of the world.

I'm not sure. Of course this is how tabloids would try to put it ("she cussed at a photographer! She must be crazy! We asked an expert and he confirmed that she must be crazy"), but in the eyes of individuals? And even more so, those individuals who matter in the case of Emma (directors, writers)?

Charlie Sheen is a perfect example. He went ABSOLUTELY BATSHIT INSANE and still made A SHIT TON OF MONEY and it helped his career, rather than hinder it a la Britney.

The reason might be their different *cough* professions though, and their images. Sheen's highest paying role depicted him as an eccentric drunkard. Britney OTOH with her barbie doll image that drives her sales takes a v. bad hit when she appears in public chubby, drugged and bald.

Oh yeah, individuals are a way different matter than the media at large (look at this thread, for that perfect example). Still the media can affect mass amounts of people. Think of all the people watching shows like TMZ and Entertainment Tonight and these stories are so sensationalized to show someone in a bad light that many start to believe it. And when a "product" is not able to sell to the masses, the directors who know better have to put that aside and focus on what makes them the money.

The reason COULD be their different professions, but there's definitely a big heaping serving of sexism in there. There are so many examples of men being vindicated for their behavior while women aren't... Say, Brangelina. In the media it was like OH HERE COMES BIG BAD ANGELINA TO PUSH JENNIFER ANISTON OUT OF THE WAY AND STEAL HER MAN. Meanwhile it's like... BRAD CHEATED. HE was the one with the marriage vows that HE broke, and yet all the responsibility was put on Angelina or Jen (as if Jen couldn't "satisfy" him, like that was her job or something).

The reason COULD be their different professions, but there's definitely a big heaping serving of sexism in there. There are so many examples of men being vindicated for their behavior while women aren't... Say, Brangelina. In the media it was like OH HERE COMES BIG BAD ANGELINA TO PUSH JENNIFER ANISTON OUT OF THE WAY AND STEAL HER MAN. Meanwhile it's like... BRAD CHEATED. HE was the one with the marriage vows that HE broke, and yet all the responsibility was put on Angelina or Jen (as if Jen couldn't "satisfy" him, like that was her job or something).

I think if there's any sexism it is in their very images/ niches. Would people be interested in watching a show about a drug abusing, binge drinking slut (Charlie's a manslut!) ? Mebbe not. Ditto for clean shaven, dance-loving, cutesy singers (not counting Usher and Timberlake :lol: ).