The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Beauty Advice

I thought I'd start a thread where people can ask the beauty questions they might have and maybe people will have

some tips or advice

I'll go first

Ok so my eyebrows are not the greatest I hate to admit, they used to be perfect but then I kept plucking ( I seriously think I have a problem) and I have been coloring them in for years now. I use Anastasia brow pencil. The problem is that they look fake and sometimes the make-up will smear. I'm also using this Anastasia serum to help grow back the hair. Although it works, I just can't stop plucking. I've tried to hide my tweezers from my sight but that doesnt work lol.

so my question is:

1) How do I stop myself from plucking??

2) what can I use so my eyebrows won't look fake and the make-up wont smear? is there something I can like put under the make-up so it can last longer? i really hate re-coloring it in.

and i'm really used to pencil, i've tried brush and powder but i just dont like it.

Your tips will be apreciated!

Have you watched make-up tutorials? From what I watched I saw that they often fill in their brows with eyeshadow instead of gel or wax.

My faves are PIXIWOO (two british sisters sam and nic). Um the over plucking well well: 1. you say they look fake but you don't stop what makes them look fake? (the over-plucking). Calm yourself down ladee! If you want nice brows LEAVE 'EM ALONE!(chris crocker voice).

Let the Anastasia stuff do the job(btw the lady who owns this brand is Romanian and is actually called Anastasia).

I agree with what MrsClaus said, using an eyeshadow instead of pencil often gives your brows a softer and more natural apperance.

Use an angled brush to fill them in with tiny strokes. I know you said you don't like it, but try giving it a go again! The brush you use really makes a huge difference, if you have a brush it will give you more precision. I used a pencil before too, but now I'm all into eyeshadow and brush. As for the plucking, I'm a bit confused. You want to grow them out but still you keep overplucking? :P

Maybe you should try to imagine your ideal shape, draw it on, and then see which hair straws are growing outside of that shape, and those straws will be the only ones you need to remove. Another suggestion is to go and have them plucked professionally, so that you get a good shape and base to work with. :)

To make it last longer, I would finish of with an eyebrow gel. If you don't have one, hairspray works fine too. It will make them stay put for longer and also stay in place. :)

Edited by CRAPMUFFIN

This is a gret topic! I unfortunately have no wisdom to share for your situation Rena. Sorry!!

I do have a question of own. I like to wear eyeliner on the outside of my lids. Recently I have been having really bad smudging issues but only on my left eye! All te eyeliner smudges off within like an hour. It smudges all over my lid. Only happens on the one side though which is crazy. Any advice?

This is a gret topic! I unfortunately have no wisdom to share for your situation Rena. Sorry!!

I do have a question of own. I like to wear eyeliner on the outside of my lids. Recently I have been having really bad smudging issues but only on my left eye! All the eyeliner smudges off within like an hour. It smudges all over my lid. Only happens on the one side though which is crazy. Any advice?

First I don't understand what you mean by 'outside of my lid' and second I really think the eyeshadow trick would work as nice for you too, an angle brush and same color eyeshadow as the liner that should be okay. Oh and eye primer is important for eye make-up. urban decay primer potion, mac paintpot or anything like that will work.

I agree with what MrsClaus said, using an eyeshadow instead of pencil often gives your brows a softer and more natural apperance.

Use an angled brush to fill them in with tiny strokes. I know you said you don't like it, but try giving it a go again! The brush you use really makes a huge difference, if you have a brush it will give you more precision. I used a pencil before too, but now I'm all into eyeshadow and brush. As for the plucking, I'm a bit confused. You want to grow them out but still you keep overplucking? :P

Maybe you should try to imagine your ideal shape, draw it on, and then see which hair straws are growing outside of that shape, and those straws will be the only ones you need to remove. Another suggestion is to go and have them plucked professionally, so that you get a good shape and base to work with. :)

To make it last longer, I would finish of with an eyebrow gel. If you don't have one, hairspray works fine too. It will make them stay put for longer and also stay in place. :)

Elow Ingrid, my username was helen2U but been stuck to MrClaus from last christmas. Helen or Elena will do:) till I change

back my username :yesyes:

First I don't understand what you mean by 'outside of my lid' and second I really think the eyeshadow trick would work as nice for you too, an angle brush and same color eyeshadow as the liner that should be okay. Oh and eye primer is important for eye make-up. urban decay primer potion, mac paintpot or anything like that will work.

How do I explain it? At the top of my eyelid but not the inside, the outside. like right above my lashes. Does that make sense?

I have tried using eye shadow as liner but I do a better job with pencils. I do have some primer but I do not typically use it. Maybe that will do the trick. I will try it tomorrow.

Its just so weird that it only smudges/rubs off on one eye. My other eye stays perfect.

How do I explain it? At the top of my eyelid but not the inside, the outside. like right above my lashes. Does that make sense?

I have tried using eye shadow as liner but I do a better job with pencils. I do have some primer but I do not typically use it. Maybe that will do the trick. I will try it tomorrow.

Its just so weird that it only smudges/rubs off on one eye. My other eye stays perfect.

I picture the good and evil battle on your eyes make-up version. Right above the lashes I got it! A simple thin line is chic

actually and for sure the primer would do justice. I quite like the below photo showing all types of liner in spanish(LOL) but

easy to understand.

I would say what I do is a little different each day. Its mostly like Indico, Grego, and Luistico. Well, before it smudges.

I will try the primer I have and see if that makes a difference. Hope it does!

Thanks girly!

For eyebrows, I have really small light blonde eyebrows and I like to use my eyebrows as definition for my face (plus I don't like my natural blonde hair so I dye it) and one thing I use is Benefit Brow Zings. It comes with a wax and a powder, so I do SMALL STROKES of wax (as if drawing on tiny hairs) and then the powder to fill in places where I don't really have anything that can hold wax. :P It stays on all day. But I think the definite trick is to draw small hair-like strokes quick and light, instead of a line. It's like... shading a drawing.

For plucking, I don't have that problem, but I'm so lazy that I never pluck. I get it done at a salon. If you're having issues it might be worth literally throwing away your tweezers and paying $10 every few weeks for a salon to take care of it, until you can break the habit.

I ALSO have problem eyelids, which comes down to oil. It could be that one of your eyelids is producing more oil than the other (or one is more dry, the dry one is probably holding on to makeup better). I cannot recommend Urban Decay's primer enough. It saved my life. And look at your liner as well. I.E. A Kohl pencil will smear faster than a liquid (since it's MEANT to be smudgy). Liquid liner can be tricky but it just takes a bit of practice. My liquid eyeliner of choice is by Stila because it is like a marker pen which makes it easy to use... if you can use a pencil you can probably use this. ;) Much easier than some that have brushes. And it stays on my eyes, which again are problematic!

Have you watched make-up tutorials? From what I watched I saw that they often fill in their brows with eyeshadow instead of gel or wax.

My faves are PIXIWOO (two british sisters sam and nic). Um the over plucking well well: 1. you say they look fake but you don't stop what makes them look fake? (the over-plucking). Calm yourself down ladee! If you want nice brows LEAVE 'EM ALONE!(chris crocker voice).

Let the Anastasia stuff do the job(btw the lady who owns this brand is Romanian and is actually called Anastasia).

yeah i have watched some on youtube before, but can never do what they do lol

and i know i know but it's easier said then done, i literally think i have a problem lol

and thanks everyone for your advice i really will look into everything and check out all of these brands!

I ALSO have problem eyelids, which comes down to oil. It could be that one of your eyelids is producing more oil than the other (or one is more dry, the dry one is probably holding on to makeup better). I cannot recommend Urban Decay's primer enough. It saved my life. And look at your liner as well. I.E. A Kohl pencil will smear faster than a liquid (since it's MEANT to be smudgy). Liquid liner can be tricky but it just takes a bit of practice. My liquid eyeliner of choice is by Stila because it is like a marker pen which makes it easy to use... if you can use a pencil you can probably use this. ;) Much easier than some that have brushes. And it stays on my eyes, which again are problematic!

Awesome advice! I have had such issues with liquid in the past but I looked up stila liners and they look really awesome. I am assuming you are talking about Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner? They have some great colors available too. I need a new black so I am going to try this out. Thanks so much!

which eyeshadow brand would you recommend?

Awesome advice! I have had such issues with liquid in the past but I looked up stila liners and they look really awesome. I am assuming you are talking about Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner? They have some great colors available too. I need a new black so I am going to try this out. Thanks so much!

Yes yes that!

which eyeshadow brand would you recommend?

could be drugstore Rena, because you guys have good drugstore brands like wet n wild.

try things out:)

I would say what I do is a little different each day. Its mostly like Indico, Grego, and Luistico. Well, before it smudges.

I will try the primer I have and see if that makes a difference. Hope it does!

Thanks girly!

welcome:)

Any good mosturizers out there that you guys like that's for combination (oily and dry) skin??

i've tried clinique and garnier and cetaphil but they just make my skin oiler.

Edited by Rena

Any good mosturizers out there that you guys like that's for combination (oily and dry) skin??

i've tried clinique and garnier and cetaphil but they just make my skin oiler.

I have oily skin and i have a good ol' avon cream called rich moisture family cream, it's light

and absorbs into the skin super quick, you may find it at avon where you live for sure.

I have been using a combination of 2 Bobbie Brown moisturizers and both are great.

The first is a tinted moisturizer. Foundation is too thick and looks awful on my skin. Plus I have my skin is mostly clear so this works great. It's also a really nice moisturizer and SPF 15. Bobbie Brown just came out with a new line called BB Cream. They are essentially the same thing but have better coverage. Just a better product. They are SPF 30.

Before I got to bed or when I get die patches on my skin I use Bobbie Brown oil control. It's super light which is nice. It has a really nice fragrance to it. Also SPF 15.

Bobbie Brown makes a lot of super nice moisturizers for a lot of different needs. Most of her products are SPF too which is great!

I have been using a combination of 2 Bobbie Brown moisturizers and both are great.

The first is a tinted moisturizer. Foundation is too thick and looks awful on my skin. Plus I have my skin is mostly clear so this works great. It's also a really nice moisturizer and SPF 15. Bobbie Brown just came out with a new line called BB Cream. They are essentially the same thing but have better coverage. Just a better product. They are SPF 30.

Before I got to bed or when I get die patches on my skin I use Bobbie Brown oil control. It's super light which is nice. It has a really nice fragrance to it. Also SPF 15.

Bobbie Brown makes a lot of super nice moisturizers for a lot of different needs. Most of her products are SPF too which is great!

probably more reliable than avon :rolleye:

I really like Kiehl's moisturizers. They seem pretty basic, but they do amazing things for my dry skin (and the people who work there can usually help you find something for your skin... they haven't led me astray yet!). They can be pricy, but I seriously use sooo little for my face that it lasts absolute ages. Definitely worth the investment.

I also like moisturizers from Lush, and same deal with them being able to find something for you. These are more perfume-y than Kiehl's which is something I'm not as fond of, but they still do an excellent job. I use Lush Skin Drink in the evening and Gorgeous in the morning (but erm, Gorgeous is like $80 for a small tub, so I wouldn't go to this one immediately).

I'm still torn after I'm done my Lush product if I will continue it or go back to Kiehl's because they're both fab.

I've heard of Bobbie Brown products but never used them. They get good reviews.Are they expensive?

and i definatley need the oil control before i got to bed, everytime i wake up in the morning it feels like my skin (mostly my forhead area) is like drenched in oil.

thanks for the tips, you guys know alot about make-up/products

i never wear make-up, frankly because im not very good at putting it on but i wish i was!

I've heard of Bobbie Brown products but never used them. They get good reviews.Are they expensive?

and i definatley need the oil control before i got to bed, everytime i wake up in the morning it feels like my skin (mostly my forhead area) is like drenched in oil.

thanks for the tips, you guys know alot about make-up/products

i never wear make-up, frankly because im not very good at putting it on but i wish i was!

In my opinion, Bobbie Brown products are amazing. Its a very top of the line brand. They are sold in all the best department stores here. I don't happen to think her products are that expensive, but I don't know your price range. I think the tinted moisturizer costs about $40 which to me is not a ton for good makeup. Also, the last time I bought one was a year ago and I wear it everyday. So you get your moneys worth.

I am not sure how much the oil control costs because I actually never bought it. I get my make-up done by someone at the Bobbie Brown counter whenever I have an event to go to. I sort of befriended the women there and she noticed that I was getting these weird dry patches from my face wash. She gave me a bunch of little trial sizes of the Oil Control moisturizer and I haven't used those up yet either haha.

Here are two links: One to the Bobbie Brown website. There are a ton of different moisturizers. The second is just the Oil Control which I couldn't find on her website.

1. http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/products/2573/Skincare/Moisturizers/Face/index.tmpl?cm_sp=Gnav-_-Skincare-_-Moisturizers-Face

2. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Bobbi-Brown-Oil-Control-Lotion-SPF-15/prod63650018/

(the site says use 2-3 pumps daily. I use the tiniest bit because it has good coverage. So this also would last you a while)

In my opinion, Bobbie Brown products are amazing. Its a very top of the line brand. They are sold in all the best department stores here. I don't happen to think her products are that expensive, but I don't know your price range. I think the tinted moisturizer costs about $40 which to me is not a ton for good makeup. Also, the last time I bought one was a year ago and I wear it everyday. So you get your moneys worth.

I am not sure how much the oil control costs because I actually never bought it. I get my make-up done by someone at the Bobbie Brown counter whenever I have an event to go to. I sort of befriended the women there and she noticed that I was getting these weird dry patches from my face wash. She gave me a bunch of little trial sizes of the Oil Control moisturizer and I haven't used those up yet either haha.

Here are two links: One to the Bobbie Brown website. There are a ton of different moisturizers. The second is just the Oil Control which I couldn't find on her website.

1. http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/products/2573/Skincare/Moisturizers/Face/index.tmpl?cm_sp=Gnav-_-Skincare-_-Moisturizers-Face

2. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Bobbi-Brown-Oil-Control-Lotion-SPF-15/prod63650018/

(the site says use 2-3 pumps daily. I use the tiniest bit because it has good coverage. So this also would last you a while)

i'm very intrested in the oil control, i'm sure i can get it at sephora. Her products are kind of expensive but they do seem good, im anxious to try them! thanks for your help and the links!

• 4 weeks later...

I have curly hair and I would love to wear it down but it's just so frizzy and I always put curling cream on after I take a shower but it's still frizzy. I'm tired of wearing my hair up or straightening it. I've tried a lot of creams/mousses but none seem to work. The ones I can remember are john frieda,fructis, suave, dove, sunsilk (which was really good but they don't sell the brand here in america anymore) and I'm sure more but i dont remember.

I wanted to try this shampoo called Bamboo for frizzy hair but it's $20 and the bottle was really small so i didnt think it was worth it.

does anyone have anything for frizzy hair?