The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma In Talks To Play Cinderella

"Cate Blanchett has signed on to play the wicked stepmother." YEAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Emma opposite Cate Blanchett would be awesome. But the sexual tension would be inappropriate for a children's movie :lol:

Emma opposite Cate Blanchett would be awesome. But the sexual tension would be inappropriate for a children's movie :lol:

You are right; but, really, she should finally play in a movie for grown up audiences with a grown up plot; Emma is still typecast as "little girl" and this is sad. And Cinderella - again? The last one was with Drew Barrymore and it was good - do they have no new awesome stories in Hollywood? Beauty and the Beast is also the ? version of a already known story......

It would be great to see something that starts as a stereotypical Disney fantasy then gradually slips towards a darker and more adult tone. I have to think of Snow White, not that it was a great movie but a twist on the fairy tale.

It would probably have to be directed by Aronofsky, lolz

It would be great to see something that starts as a stereotypical Disney fantasy then gradually slips towards a darker and more adult tone. I have to think of Snow White, not that it was a great movie but a twist on the fairy tale.

It would probably have to be directed by Aronofsky, lolz

I think she is in great danger to stuck for the next 10 years or so in such "childish" movies. Disney is not a trademark for "adult" plots and movies. I think, the movie industry is aware of her hugh "young" fanbase and tries to make money out of that. Emma has already done enough "girl-roles" and she should play what she is: a 23 year old woman.

Disney is not a trademark for "adult" plots and movies.

No, you don't ruin a fairytale you depend on to pay your rent.

But you know what, I think Emma thinks the same and she has always been aware of the danger of being typecast. If she still counts on playing Belle, I think she will politely turn down the Cinderella role.

I dont think shes gonna do it. having this summer beauty and the beast, another Disney princess?Im not sure

spot on. I think of that too, emma know she has beauty in the pipeline. Even with Cate in the cast, I don't think so.

Ok, so Kenneth Branagh will direct the movie.... And there is speculation, that it will be a musical (Emma singing???)

after Les Miserables, how many musical movies are we gonna see each year (that are not Highschool Musical X)? :mellow:

Here is my questions, everyone is connecting this back to Disney. Where does it say that this will be a Disney film?

The story of Cinderella has a lot of history to it. In fact, many cultures have their own version of the story. I think that if this movie is not attached to Disney it could be really great. Not that I have anything wrong with Disney. I love Disney. I just think it could possibly be more of an adult film.

As regard to it being a musical, YES. I am such a junkie though when it comes to musicals as I have been involved in theater for 12 years now.

We do not Know for sure that it will be a childrens movie.

Even if it for sure is Disney. I have not seen "Oz" yet but it looks to be geared a little more towards adults. Who knows?

I love some speculation and some of the not so positive feelings on here (but these are everyones opinions, which is cool of course). Lets face reality, Emma can retire 20 times over with what she made during Potter-she can write her own ticket :) She, Rupert, and really everyone on Potter can choose to do what they want. Emma, Rupert, and Dan have all made names for themselves. They have nothing to prove really. The trio are gonna pick quality over quantity. My guess is they have turned down quite a few offers we dont know about because it doesnt feel right. I am trusting Emma's taste in movie roles. Since Potter, she has definitely picked winners-role of Sam in Perks and Nikki in Bling Ring-be very different role plus sounds like an intriguing plot. Anyway whatever role(s) Emma picks, I feel confident that she is picking good quality. :)

My stupid phone sent it before I was done...grrr...anyway I want to see Emma play Belle in Beauty and think she would do just as beautifully as Cinderella, especially singing!!! :)

Edited by cbmac12

May 17, 2010: Two months after the release of Alice in Wonderland, Disney buys a pitch from screenwriter Aline Brosh-Mckenna (The Devil Wears Prada, 27 Dresses) about a live-action re-imagining of the classic fairy tale.

August 12, 2011: Director Mark Romanek is pursued and eventually confirmed to direct. Insiders describe Brosh-Mckenna's script to be a "re-imaging of the classic tale where the prince is set for a politically arranged marriage, until the evil plan is threatened when the prince meets Cinderella."

February 29, 2012: Director Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass) is brought on by Disney to rewrite Brosh-Mckenna's initial draft of the script.

November 27, 2012: Cate Blanchett is the first actor to be cast.

November 30, 2012: Saoirse Ronan, Alicia Vikander & Gabriella Wilde are brought in to test for the lead role.

January 7, 2013: Mark Romanek leaves the production reportedly because of creative differences with Disney. "Romanek’s is darker, and it’s too dark for this to turn out to be a fairy tale ending."

January 31, 2013: Weeks later, Kenneth Branagh is hired to replace Romanek.

Edited by Roberto