The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson's Interview Help

I believe those are poppy flower pins, worn for Rememberance Day. Here's a cut and paste from the web.

Remembrance Day, also known as Poppy Day is a day to commemorate the sacrifice of veterans and civilians in World War I, World War II, and other wars. The poppy emblem was chosen because of the poppies that bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their red color an appropriate symbol for the bloodshed.

During Poppy Day it has become a tradition to wear an artificial poppy, be this a lapel pin or just a plastic poppy which are usually sold by the British Legion.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there not something similar in the US? A lot of people do tend to wear them in the UK.

Veterans Day is similar. We celebrate both the soldiers that have lived and passed in the wars. But we don't have anything special to wear, most schools and several companies close for the day though.

I believe those are poppy flower pins, worn for Rememberance Day. Here's a cut and paste from the web.

Remembrance Day, also known as Poppy Day is a day to commemorate the sacrifice of veterans and civilians in World War I, World War II, and other wars. The poppy emblem was chosen because of the poppies that bloomed across some of the worst battlefields of Flanders in World War I, their red color an appropriate symbol for the bloodshed.

During Poppy Day it has become a tradition to wear an artificial poppy, be this a lapel pin or just a plastic poppy which are usually sold by the British Legion.

Yes, that is pretty much correct.

The proper name is Armistice Day which is 11th November to commemorate the end of WWI in 1918 on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, Rememberance Sunday to remember those who have lost their lives is the closest Sunday to the 11th, almost everybody wears poppy's as a mark of respect during this time. I thought that it was brilliant when I saw Emma and other members of the cast wearing poppy's for the Premiere.

Is there not something similar in the US? A lot of people do tend to wear them in the UK.

As far as wearing something like poppies, not really. You might see people wear red, white and blue and stuff having to do with the US. Maybe lapel pins etc. But a lot of that has been curtailed because of political correctness. We wouldn't want to offend anyone's precious little feelers would we? Political correctness has really made the US impotent. It seems every other country and culture is allowed to be patriotic and proud but when we are then we're the Ugly Americans.