The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Book Recommendations

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I totally reccomend the Foundation series, written by Isaac Assimov. They're sci-fi, futuristic novels.

Also, I reccomend 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell.

If you want to read somthing thats good, mysterious and macabre, try reading Edgar Allan Poe

If you want to read horror, try H.P. Lovecraft (He created Cthulhu)

Another good book is The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.

And of course, the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy by Tolkien!

• 4 months later...

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (ex: Fight Club, Choke), although his books are on the mature side.

Check out the Game of Thrones series too, by George R.R. Martin.

My default recommendations, though, are:

The Outsiders

The Hobbit

Go Ask Alice

Tweak

Catcher In The Rye

Perks Of Being A Wallflower

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Truly magical, the way he wrote about the entire incident was chilling but intriguing. I was gripped and personally loved the interviews he conducted to. You gain a new perspective on the media and on the two boys.

• 4 weeks later...

i really enjoyed the Fountainhead by Ayn Rand although people find her ideas of selfishness freakin' debatable, however i don't have much thought on that issue. just, im pretty much head over heels for Howard Roark. and even some love for his lover :)

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (ex: Fight Club, Choke), although his books are on the mature side.

Check out the Game of Thrones series too, by George R.R. Martin.

My default recommendations, though, are:

The Outsiders

The Hobbit

Go Ask Alice

Tweak

Catcher In The Rye

Perks Of Being A Wallflower

i loved game of thrones btw :P ive started clash of kings now, so excited for it :) !!

liked go ask alice & perks too when i read it years ago as a younger teen

loved the hobbit and the other books tooooooo

would like to read catcher in the rye sometime!

nice reccomendations ;)

^ That is so weird, I literally just came to this thread to post that book! haha

Life of Pi - Yann Martel. Brilliant.

haha isnt it just so great? i just wanna give it a kiss! *insert kissing smiley here*

• 1 month later...

As it's spring I suggest reading "Rappaccini's Daughter" by Hawthorne, as well as "Little Ida's Flowers," and "Thumbelina" by Hans Christian Andersen. All are short stories and can be read within 1-2 hours tops, and all have beautiful imagery that mirrors the luscious beauty of spring ^.^.

• 1 month later...

As it's spring I suggest reading "Rappaccini's Daughter" by Hawthorne, as well as "Little Ida's Flowers," and "Thumbelina" by Hans Christian Andersen. All are short stories and can be read within 1-2 hours tops, and all have beautiful imagery that mirrors the luscious beauty of spring ^.^.

Why thank you Dax; although it is no longer Spring, I shall add these to my list. :happydance:

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins

Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan

Room, Emma Donoghue

Handle With Care, Jodi Picoult

Remember Me? Sophia Kinsella

Jane Erye is creepy :sob:

------------------------

I'd like to try Stephen King one day when I'm man enough.

However that'll be never since I'm female <_<

Edited by Millennium
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I think most people on here would enjoy reading Andrew Peterson's Wingfeather Saga.  It's a series of 4 books.  It's Fantasy Young Adult fiction.  If you combined the Chronicles of Narnia book series with Harry Potter book series...I think you'd end up with something like the Wingfeather Saga.  I've finished the first 3 books and I'm in the middle of book 4.  The book order goes like this:

Book One: On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness

Book Two: North, or be Eaten!

Book Three: The Monster in the Hollows

Book Four: The Warden & the Wolf King

Really fun reading if you like Young Adult fantasy fiction!

P.S.  The first book has a lot of silly names and play on words...I thought it was a little distracting...but there is not as much in books 2 through 4.

• 2 years later...

I'm a bit sad I didn't get to add my books while this thread was not dead yet, so anyway I'm gonna add my recommendations.

• Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    Opened my eyes, it shares kind of a peaceful philosophy of life (if it makes sense), much more than I would have expected. I watched all the movies and the BBC series before, I didn't expect to find so much truth in it. It's kinda spiritual, but not so much in a religious way. 

• East of Eden - John Steinbeck 
    It's a book that portrays life in the USA among 2 families at the beginning of the XXth century. You just feel like being in the life of those people, it's so human. Full of life lessons, I can't even find the words. "The book explores themes of depravity, beneficence, love, and the struggle for acceptance, greatness, and the capacity for self-destruction and especially of guilt and freedom." Just like Jane Eyre, that opened my eyes. Steinbeck actually won a Nobel Prize, well you understand while reading it. 
    BTW, they made an adaptation of the book, well I'm not going to watch it because for script purposes they chose an extract focused on a love story, which is (surprisingly for me) one of my least favorite stories of the book. Indeed the book is a mix of several stories happening at the same time (like in GOT for example).

• John Grisham's books
    Complitely different style, but I discovered by surprise how much I love legal thrillers. "The legal thriller is a subgenre of thriller and crime fiction in which the major characters are lawyers and their employees" 
    I couldn't let go of The Firm, The Testament but above all The Rainmaker
  • 5 years later...