The Emma-Watson.net Forum

I saw This Is The End. Spoilers Inside.

If you liked Rogen's past movies like Superbad and Pineapple Express, you'll probably like this too. I thought it was as funny/silly as 21 Jump Street.

If you don't particularly care for or hated those movies, I'd say don't bother seeing it just for Emma.

In total, she has like 5 minutes of screen time, and only a handful of lines.

Her first scene is early on at Franco's party and is between Jay Baruchel, Craig Robinson, and Emma. 

They show that scene here: 

That scene is basically Jay telling them he hates LA and everyone who lives there. They call him a hipster and Craig asks him if he hates universally beloved movies too, like Forrest Gump. He says that he also hates Forrest Gump, so Emma brings up the "Life is like a box of chocolates" line. And that's pretty much all she says there.

Then she's in the same group reaction shots of everybody outside the house that you see in the trailer. Nothing extra there.

Her next scene is her breaking down the door with the axe. Immediately after she breaks down the door, you get this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEp_A-woCtY

The part where she goes crazy is right after this.

The bit is basically Jay Baruchel telling the rest of the guys to be careful around her because she might think they might try to rape her. They all start saying that nobody else was thinking that until he brought it up. So, naturally, Emma hears them talking about rape from the other room, freaks out, and starts swinging the axe at them and telling them to hand over all their water. This plays out like the red band trailer almost exactly. The only thing you miss is her swearing a couple more times.

And that's it. She leaves and is never seen again.

Apparently, she was supposed to show up again in one of the final scenes with Channing Tatum, but for whatever reason that didn't happen. Instead you just see Tatum in his "gimp" outfit wearing very little clothes and humping Danny Mcbride's leg. His scene is like 30 seconds long, and he says like two lines. 

Well I still wanna see this silly movie, even if Emma has little screen time, I mean even in MMWM she had a short appearance and I still loved the story/watching it.

Weird, USA gets it first and that's not until June 12th.

I haven't read your post, but I'm pretty sure this could have gone in a topic named This is the End. There is nothing unique about an opinionated review. It would be nice to share when the film actually does come out in one topic.

EDIT: ^I doubt it was Channing Tatum. The documentary/mess about 'film' was finished a while ago and he is not in the cast list. A look a like most likeyl.

You should have known that Emma wasn't in it for long before you 'watched' it. Afteral her role is stated as MINOR.

Edited by magicbeans
  • 4 weeks later...

I saw this today FINALLY and I LOVED it. I laughed the whole time. The whole theatre was laughing hysterically and a few times even burst into applause. You definitely need to like Seth Rogen films to like this though (luckily, I do). Loved it. I will recommend it to others.

Emma's part was small but I thought it was good. She was sufficiently funny in her deadpan ways.

EDIT: ^I doubt it was Channing Tatum. The documentary/mess about 'film' was finished a while ago and he is not in the cast list. A look a like most likeyl.

Oh it was DEFINITELY Channing.

Like it was definitely vulgar. But I am a pretty uptight person; very "politically correct" at times and I still found it funny. And I was VERY worried about rape jokes because I am VERY opposed to rape jokes, so I worried about Emma's involvement, but the guys were pretty good at making it an anti-rape joke really. 

I saw it last nite!!! ;) Emma was perfect as herself LOL-what she saw was what you get with Emma-proper sounding British actress and cool. But when all hell breaks loose-well so does Emma ;) I was laughing throughout the whole movie and I dont even like movies like this. But have to say it wasn't like too over the top crude-I mean dont get me wrong, there are so vulgar scenes but not as many as I was expecting. YES THAT WAS CHANNING TATUM!!!!!! ;)

This is the End in my opinion is worth seeing-especially if you just wanna a good laugh.

This is the End in my opinion is worth seeing-especially if you just wanna a good laugh.

The reason my friends and I saw it was because we are all super stressed with various things, and we just wanted something fun to watch that didn't require much thinking and would be a good distraction... and this movie was exactly that. :D

I think because of who is in it-Freaks/Geeks guys that is why it is so popular. I was actually surprised I laughed so much-usually those types of comedies annoy me.

Emma was in it for like total screen time under 10 min if that, but her scenes were hysterical-dont piss Emma off!! ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you..... for this review...

300 F-words, zero laughs: Foul-mouthed, crude and conceited, Seth Rogen's latest attempt at comedy is a new low

This Is The End(15)

Verdict: Despicable Them

Rating:

The latest Hollywood comedy for our edification is This Is The End, in which a bunch of drugged or drunk superstars, played by themselves, use the end of the world as a pretext for projectile vomiting, bodily fluids and every kind of grossness.

It may not convince as the end of the world, but it looks horribly like the death throes of intelligent comedy.

Presumably, some influential producer saw The Watch, a comedy flop that was universally despised, and thought ‘What a cracking screenplay! Let’s get these geniuses to write a film based on the Book Of The Revelation Of Saint John The Divine!’

Bunch of bozos: (from left) James Franco, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and Danny McBride

Or maybe some more than usually stoned executive decided to emulate the 1998 drama Final Cut, in which famous British actors (not so well-known today, alas) played themselves in one of the ghastliest displays ever of celebrity self-adoration.

Or possibly the head of Sony Pictures laughed all the way through Burt Reynolds’ 1981 vanity production The Cannonball Run and exclaimed: ‘Why don’t we make movies like that any more?’

Whatever the explanation, lovers of lewdness will get their money’s worth. One website has calculated that, over the course of 107 minutes, the F-word is used about 300 times. It’s easier than coming up with jokes.

Comedy? At one point in the film, the characters have a lengthy conversation about who would most like to rape Emma Watson

This Is The End is written and directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, whose biggest hits were Superbad and Pineapple Express, which found an audience. They also wrote The Green Hornet and The Watch, which didn’t.

At the start of the movie, a member of the public taunts Rogen, saying: ‘You always play the same guy in every movie. When are you gonna do some acting?’

This is a good question — and one that remains unanswered.

Rogen plays a gross version of a self-absorbed, greedy, consumer-gadget-obsessed celebrity named Seth Rogen. In real life, he’s married to actress Lauren Miller, but in the movie Rogen chooses to live alone.

His one genuine friend, or so he thinks, is his fellow Canadian actor Jay Baruchel.

Rogen drags Jay along to uber-conceited James Franco’s house-warming in a modernist concrete bunker full of misbehaving celebrities, including Jonah Hill at his greasiest.

Although there are plenty of drug-taking sex-addicts in Hollywood to choose from, the innocent-looking Michael Cera gets to play the worst of them all, and because his drug of choice appears to be cocaine rather than marijuana Cera is the first to die — impaled on a lamp post — when a yawning, fiery chasm appears in Franco’s front yard.

Like all the deaths, it is depicted with salacious gruesomeness.

On the bright side, quite a few celebrities are consigned immediately to Hell — though disappointingly there’s no sign of Adam Sandler or the rest of the cast of Grown Ups 2.

Mysteriously, Cera also appears to be the only Hollywood coke fiend singled out for punishment.

Whatever happened to all the other users? We may never know.

From there on, it’s like a witless re-enactment of Shaun Of The Dead, with lame parodies of The Exorcist, Rosemary’s Baby and other movies superior to the one that’s ‘satirising’ them.

This will be bad news for Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, who are about to release a similar-sounding movie called The World’s End. It’s also terrible news for anyone who sat through Scary Movie 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.

Culprits: (l-r) Director Evan Goldberg and actors James Franco and Seth Rogen

The level of the humour? Well, comedy is notoriously subjective, so here are a few pointers to whether or not you might enjoy it.

At one point, a non-celebrity wants to be let into the house. Around the time the stars abandon him to his fate, the intruder is decapitated, and his head rolls around in puddles of gore. Our heroes’ reaction is to play football with it.

In another moral and cultural highlight, the surviving lads have a lengthy conversation about who would most like to rape Emma Watson.

She responds by attempting to murder them with an axe. Possibly someone, somewhere, will find this funny.

' Dedicated fans of Seth Rogen may enjoy the opportunity to see him urinate into his own mouth.'

Danny McBride and James Franco have a lengthy and heated discussion about self-abuse and end up threatening to ejaculate over each other.

Dedicated fans of Seth Rogen may enjoy the opportunity to see him urinate into his own mouth.

And Danny McBride repeatedly molests one of Hollywood’s hunkiest male stars . . . who loves it! Yes, the humour is that classy.

Anyone attending in the hope of religious insights is likely to be disappointed. It turns out God is a groovy host who will admit to Heaven anyone who sacrifices himself for another guy.

Thus, Hitler or Stalin would have no trouble sitting on the right hand of God, as long as they tried to get in the way of a bullet to save Goebbels or Beria. It’s a point of view, I suppose. But it’s the first time I’ve seen bromance elevated to the status of a religion.

The movie’s vision of the Heavenly after-life is also a revelation. Essentially, it’s a place where young men receive instant self-gratification, including an endless supply of drugs and bikini-clad girls jiggling around in an  enticing manner.

This Is The End isn’t the worst comedy of the year. Movie 43 and Run For Your Wife were even worse. But for sheer laziness, smugness and stupidity, it sums up everything that’s wrong  with Hollywood comedy in the  21st century.

I wish it would fail at the box office, but it won’t. The most depressing aspect is we have managed to raise a generation that will find much of this movie hilarious, and may even fantasise about hanging out with these guys.

I’m still waiting for the movie that dares to satirise this odious phenomenon, but I’m not holding my breath.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Oh Jonny, you lean mean posting machine.

As for Emma, if she's fine with guys discussing raping her, that's no one's business. What he could take offense to is the implication that guys would only consider raping her if she was the last woman on Earth.

ROFL GOOD ONE ;)

Again people dont get it-CAN DO WHATEVER the hell she wants...CAN RETIRE 10 times over from Potter movies and merchandise and royalties and everything else she does. Emma can pick and choose what she wants just like her HP pals Rupert and Dan.

I admire her trying different things. Go Emma :)

$64,238,073

which says nothing about the quality of the movie, or the tone of the movie, or wether being in that movie will be good for your carreer.

What I simply don't find useful is people criticizing a movie if they're clearly not in its target group.