The Emma-Watson.net Forum

For me, Emma has always defined herself by her personality and her statements. Her part as Hermione was, well, a nice part as a supporting actress. But nobody would talk about her anymore, if she would only be remembered as the "brightest witch of her age". Look at the other femal characters of HP - they would be completly forgotten, if they would not be so active in Twitter (see Bonnie Wright for example).

Emma was not only a child-actress, but from a very early age also a human beeing with a message and a own opinion. And for this many people love her. The discussion abut her education, her university ecc .are resulting out of the fact, that nobody has actual statements about her point of view. I mean, she is still sold (also in this forum) as a "rolemodel", "down to earth", "keen to learn" ecc. ecc. I think, she has changed many of her points of view over the last years, but instead of giving her fans new insights and new looks on her personality, she is becoming more and more a characterless, alone pretty face. And this is sad, because in short time she will for many people only a nameless beauty face.....

Her interviews are telling us all more or less the same. There is nothing really new to learn about her (besides the fact that a journalist ist not worth to be seated in the livingroom; the kitchen is good enough).

I have more and more the opinion, that she was pretty well choached by Warner Brother over the years and was "left alone" after HP ended. And she has still no real idea how to let her fans participate at her life.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny Carinthia, on 01 Jun 2013 - 21:34, said:

But nobody would talk about her anymore, if she would only be remembered as the "brightest witch of her age". Look at the other femal characters of HP - they would be completly forgotten, if they would not be so active in Twitter (see Bonnie Wright for example).

Emma was not only a child-actress, but from a very early age also a human beeing with a message and a own opinion.

Exactly. I don't think her limited screen time in HP allowed her to shine more than Bonnie Wright or Evanna Lynch. They were all good choices casting-wise and transported their characters adequately. Emma stood out among them for reasons that had not much to do with show biz.

without any background/ personal information, there's not much that would make a lasting impression (on me, at least).

i don't need to know things about her personal life and private affairs, to find her appealing and attractive as a person and as a performer. i have never understood why people want to look behind the curtain of fame, why you want to disspell the illusion of fame/persona/screen idol/etc. i am perfectly happy not knowing that much about her, outside of her cinemtic talents, and her education goals in the public arena. i'll give you an example further....i love seeing the fabulous actor Denzel Washington on screen, in huge movies, a really great actor, and i know next to nothing about him offscreen. you know what? i much prefer it like that, as my being a fan of his cinematic talents, cannot be disappointed by the 'reality' that the tabloid-trashmedia would seek to throw into my fanship, were i to want to look behind the mask of fame. the same applies to Emma, and i willingly remain in blissful fanship of her, the trashmedia be damned.

i don't need to know things about her personal life and private affairs, to find her appealing and attractive as a person and as a performer. i have never understood why people want to look behind the curtain of fame, why you want to disspell the illusion of fame/persona/screen idol/etc. i am perfectly happy not knowing that much about her, outside of her cinemtic talents, and her education goals in the public arena. i'll give you an example further....i love seeing the fabulous actor Denzel Washington on screen, in huge movies, a really great actor, and i know next to nothing about him offscreen. you know what? i much prefer it like that, as my being a fan of his cinematic talents, cannot be disappointed by the 'reality' that the tabloid-trashmedia would seek to throw into my fanship, were i to want to look behind the mask of fame. the same applies to Emma, and i willingly remain in blissful fanship of her, the trashmedia be damned.

I get your point, I was simply wondering because in the case of Emma, especially if we talk about HP only, there wasn't so much one could say about her talent as an actress. She very much had to set out and prove that after HP ended.

Btw, it's not like the only off-screen coverage Emma gets comes from tabloids and pap shots; i.e. the NY Times isn't "trash media". There's a real opportunity for insightful, even thought provoking interviews there, if Emma is willing to go that route.

Edited by Sacred_Path

Sometimes, I think, there is a big misunderstanding under way here. I (and others here) are accused to want to know "private details" of her life. For example, if she prefers the right or the left side of the bed, if she drinks mineral water to her "Eggs Bernard", served to the bedroom by Will on a Sunday morning or stuff like that....

When I started my interest in her (after I saw her in "My week with Marilyn"), I quickly thought that it must a great thing to have dinner with her and talk to her about this and that.... Because Emma Watson is not only a pretty face, but also a rare human beeing with, what I call, "unbeatable personality".

I have met many, many people during my time at the bank. Many of them tried to behave like "important ones", many of them wanted to be treated like "important ones", some of them where indeed "important" - and then there was a handful of people, which were really "Important", because when they entered the room, there was personality, charisma, a clear message. For me, I tried to learn from them.

I remember two specific guys. One, Fabio Luisi, is a conductor (now at the MET in NY), the other one is Maximilian Schell (Oscar-winner for "Judgment at Nuremberg"). In the 10 years I worked with Luisi, he never ever had to change a desicion he had made. He told me, what to do, and then the case was closed. And, and this is the most important thing, he remembered his desicion after years! I made him a compliment about that, and asked him how he could manage it. He said: "If you conduct a orchestra of 120 musicians, what do you think would happen if you change your mind every minute or do not remember what you want.... They would kill you in half an hour...."

Schell, on the other hand, was talkative and funny. We had two talkshows with him for important customers, and he chatted with our host about Hollywood, his films and also about Angelina Jolie (he is her godfather). And he said a sentence, I always remember. "It's good becoming old. Because there is a certain point, at which you can look life in the face and say: Hit me, come on. I have experienced everything possible, so I have no intention to care about other people and there opinions anymore...."

What I will say with this: I still do not know, if Maesto Luisi sleeps on the left or right side of the bed and I do not know if Mr. Schell drinks water to his eggs in the morning, but I got two very important messages (for me) from these guys and I know how they see important things in life. And I understand their artistic life and their point of view and some of the decisions, they had made for her career or private life.

It is a pitty that Emma never looks into this forum. Because it would be such a great thing if she would share with us points of views, opinions, sometimes also a funny bit. She could easily create a "adult image" of the unbeatable Emma Watson, a image with a beautiful face, magical eyes and so much, she could tell us. Beeing a rolemodel must not be over after the biggest movie franchise of all times comes to an end.....

If Emma was a close friend of yours, you would know those things.

But that's the point.

You aren't friends with her. You're her fan.

You aren't chatting with her. An interview isn't the same as a private conversation.

It's the opposite of private.

Just because you're comfortable knowing more about Emma's personal thoughts and feelings, doesn't mean she should feel comfortable broadcasting them to millions of people.

If Emma was a close friend of yours, you would know those things.

But that's the point.

You aren't friends with her. You're her fan.

You aren't chatting with her. An interview isn't the same as a private conversation.

It's the opposite of private.

Just because you're comfortable knowing more about Emma's personal thoughts and feelings, doesn't mean she should feel comfortable broadcasting them to millions of people.

I am not a close friend of Mr. Luisi, I saw Mr. Schell only three times in my life - and they were able to give me what you call "personal feelings and thoughts" without any fear that they would be in the media the next day. Schell talked to 2 x 600 guests and he said very interesting and personal things.

And sorry, do you really think that Emma is telling her friends on which side of the bed she sleeps? Come on!

You want her to be a pretty face without personality and background. I want her to remain the stunning and charismatic personality, she has always been,

You want her to be a pretty face without personality and background. I want her to remain the stunning and charismatic personality, she has always been,

In other words, the difference between an actor and a celebrity.

And what if she doesn't want to be both? What if she doesn't want to have a "message"?

Can't she just try to be a well-regarded actor and nothing else?

Do you really need to criticize that choice?

^ correction...'personality and background' on her terms, not the impersonal demands of a corrupt, manipulative, privacy-shredding trashmedia, and the selfish whims of hoardes of nauseating stalkerazzis and obsessed celebrity-stalkers.

Roberto, on 02 Jun 2013 - 17:22, said:

In other words, the difference between an actor and a celebrity.

Nop. No one asked for more pretty pictures of Emma or for meet and greets or for her to attend fan conventions. IOW, no one asked for her to assume the role of a celebrity more often. What I ask for is for Emma to be as open and opinionated as she used to be; essentially, for her to acknowledge the difference between an artist and any other kind of professional. Contact with the audience and a recognizable personality is key for any artist.

You either have a message or you have no message. She has. If it was not staged for her by Warner Brothers, she is giving messages to her fans (mostly young people) since she is 11. Please beleave my 30 year experience, she HAS a message.

A well regarded actor? Possible, but not with the movies she did and the movie(s) about to come. I see no real challange, or what we call "proof of talent" in the roles she did so far, beeing always only a (school)girl. Dan Radcliffe did it right; went on Broadway and showed the people what a great actor he is. Totally new character, far away from the "boyish-image".

I do not know if it is really her "choice". As I said, maybe she was only very well choached by Warner during HP and is now left alone with the task, Every actor needs a image -. its part of the product, you buy.

Nop. No one asked for more pretty pictures of Emma or for meet and greets or for her to attend fan conventions. IOW, no one asked for her to assume the role of a celebrity more often. What I ask for is for Emma to be as open and opinionated as she used to be; essentially, for her to acknowledge the difference between an artist and any other kind of professional. Contact with the audience and a recognizable personality is key for any artist.

Award-winning film actors don't have recognizable personalities.

That goes against the whole idea of being an actor.

Every actor needs a image -. its part of the product, you buy.

An actor does not need an image. A celebrity needs an image.

An actor sells their product by selling their character.

A celebrity sells their product by selling themselves.

That's the difference between a Tom Cruise and a Daniel Day-Lewis.

If - for example - Christoph Waltz would read this, he would laugh......

EVERY actor has a personality, for heavens sake. Otherwise you can use animated characters and no actor would get a job anymore.

In this interviews Waltz is telling more about his life and his artistry then Emma ever did.... (sbtitled)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uYbW7M2Cwo

If - for example - Christoph Waltz would read this, he would laugh......

EVERY actor has a personality, for heavens sake. Otherwise you can use animated characters and no actor would get a job anymore.

I meant the public's image of their personality. Those actors don't have a publicly recognized personality.

If you asked someone on the street what the personality of Christoph Waltz was, they'd have no idea.

That isn't a failure on his part. That's a success.

If you asked someone on the street what the personality of Christoph Waltz was, they'd have no idea. That isn't a failure on his part. That's a success.

i agree, and most people still don't know he has won two Best Supporting Oscars in less than five years. the man is definitely talented.

That goes against the whole idea of being an actor.

I point you towards my older post about Jodie Foster and Natalie Portman.

Also, we don't know what Emma's priorities are. Is she really following a strategy of minimum public exposure because she doesn't want anything to get between her and an award? I doubt it, as she grants interviews often enough. It's just that when she does give interviews, she seems to always keep her distance.

I think maybe she's just bored of it. Like she says in this article, she likes when it's a conversation otherwise she repeats herself. Maybe after so many years she just dislikes the typical canned interviews she is expected to give. Another good example regarding this interview is that it was a REALLY good interview and felt a lot more personal, but when it was in turn covered by other news sources they created these big headlines about how Emma feels inadequate sometimes. They spin it to make her seem ungrateful when in reality it was such a small part of the interview and made her seem more relatable.

So I can definitely understand reluctance to do an interview when the majority of them follow a very tiresome, repetitive format, and then when you DO go out of your way to do something interesting (i.e. a smaller publication ran by teenaged girls for teenaged girls) the mainstream media still finds ways to spin it so it works with their corporate agenda. 

I'm the type of person who makes a drastic life change every two years or so, so I can see how that would become uninteresting after over a decade. For sure.

Edited by ling

Exactly. When you're an up-and-coming A-list star, you basically have a target on your back. Anything you say can and will be used against you.

Nobody cares about what you say, unless it makes a good story. 

It's a lose-lose situation that punishes you for being genuine.

you're an up-and-coming A-list star,

But never with such a bad PR-work and such childisch parts like Belle in "Bauty and the Beast".

Sorry, but as I said before: if she remains on that track, she will be forgotten soon.

Nobody is really lifelong interested in a pretty face with no personality behind.

Ask so called "Supermodels".

I think maybe she's just bored of it. Like she says in this article, she likes when it's a conversation otherwise she repeats herself. Maybe after so many years she just dislikes the typical canned interviews she is expected to give.

I definitely think that most interviewers don't get much out of her. She seems to open up more in a natural conversation. Unfortunately, not every magazine can afford to have a 6-page Emma Watson interview in the form of a rambling conversation. That's very indie though ;)

Long live independent media! 

Seriously, if you're not familiar with the team working behind Rookie, I highly recommend looking them up. It's quite cool. I've been writing on the Internet for over half of my life and I wish I'd had the guts to do something similar when I was younger.

Long live independent media! 

Seriously, if you're not familiar with the team working behind Rookie, I highly recommend looking them up. It's quite cool. I've been writing on the Internet for over half of my life and I wish I'd had the guts to do something similar when I was younger.

They're so talented! WOW, I was so amazed to read it, I couldn't believe myself, they can't be 15 I say more like 20. Hehehe.

I did look them up to see the mag myself, I had to actually read that Tavi is a teenage girl, she'll be a heck of a good journalist later on.