The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson To Star In 'Queen of the Tearling'

Variety is reporting she will be starring and executive producing this with David Heyman, who will be producing along with Jeff Clifford through Heyman's own Heyday Films.

The story will be an adaptation of a fantasy trilogy by Erika Johansen that has yet to be released.

"Set three centuries after a small portion of the human race has populated a landmass that mysteriously emerged in the wake of an environmental catastrophe, the series follows nineteen-year-old princess Kelsea Glynn, who must reclaim her deceased mother’s throne and redeem her kingdom, the Tearling, from forces of corruption and dark magic of The Red Queen, the sorceress-tyrant of the neighboring country, Mortmesne."

There is no writer or director attached to the project.

Since the first book won't be released until 2014 and their isn't even a script yet, I'd say this is at least two years away from release.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I hate when things are called "a female ____________." As far as I know, Game of Thrones is enjoyed by many females, and features many strong female characters.

In any case, I don't like GoT/ASoIAF so if they are similar I probably won't be interested.

Yes, I understand there are women in the project. :P What I DON'T understand is why it must be used as some kind of qualifier. It should be able to just be "a film similar to the genre of Game of Thrones." Also saying it is a "female Game of Thrones" suggests that GoT ISN'T a female-centric project, when in fact there are plenty of female characters, some of them the strongest in recent literary history. Projects shouldn't be assigned genders. You should be able to go into it as any gender and find something to like or dislike without it being heavily marketed as for women or men.

They call it that because there's no real information to go on. 

All they know is there will be many female characters and that the genre is similar to GoT.

Plus, it makes for a dramatic headline and creates buzz. 

I think is more to create something which people can talk about and attract them to see it. When the media says: the new "game of thrones" or the new "lost" or whatever, they always equate and at the end the new one mostly is a fail because it is created a high interest and then doesnt meet your expectations

They call it that because there's no real information to go on. 

All they know is there will be many female characters and that the genre is similar to GoT.

Plus, it makes for a dramatic headline and creates buzz. 

Yes, but they could have just said "a new movie similar to GoT." Saying it's "female" makes it sexist. :P

This is basically an elevator pitch. They need to tell people what kind of story it is in it's most basic form.

If they just said "It's like Game of Thrones" and left it at that, then it doesn't sound particularly different.

They need to emphasize the differences in order for the idea to seem original.

Otherwise, people will say it's just a copycat.

Once the story is more well-known, then it will be able to stand on it's own and not just be a tweaked version of an already established franchise.

She seems so very strategical in choosing her projects. She chose to do teen roles while she was still in that age range, now she chooses to do fantasy, possibly a new franchise, because it gives her the opportunity for behind the scenes work. Not sure if I like that.

Sounds like a good enough investment. The kind of thing I'd do if I had a bunch of money I should do something with.

That's what it seems like.

If she does this and it gets huge she's bound to have some credibility problems. "I'll stay away from blockbuster franchises! And no wizards!".

If she does this and it gets huge she's bound to have some credibility problems.

Ach, Sacred. Who really cares? Say it today, forget it tomorrow. Fans buying everything, even if it is a twist in mind every 24 hours. We should get used to it by now. Remember? Degree in June 2013......

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

She seems so very strategical in choosing her projects. She chose to do teen roles while she was still in that age range, now she chooses to do fantasy, possibly a new franchise, because it gives her the opportunity for behind the scenes work. Not sure if I like that.

But you forget she mentioned in an interview she'd love to write, direct, or produce. This is it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with her wanting to specialize in different areas of the filmmaking process.

But you forget she mentioned in an interview she'd love to write, direct, or produce. This is it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with her wanting to specialize in different areas of the filmmaking process.

No, but it seems to be different from what she has said before; something to the effect that she takes roles that touch her or feel important to her. But so far her post-HP choices can be interpreted to be simply the result of calculation.

She's definitely trying to work with specific people in the industry.

You can call that calculating if you want to, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't care about the work she's doing.

You must not mistake calculation for a lack of passion.

Publication of the first title is planned in Bantam Press hardcover for summer 2014, with the mass market edition scheduled for the following year, ahead of the second book. Deals have already been signed in Brazil, with Suma de Letras; with Plaza Y Janes in Spain, and People's Press in Denmark.

Taylor said: "At Transworld, we set great store by the in-house enthusiasm a story generates, and the response I received from colleagues to The Queen of the Tearling was immediate and nothing short of rhapsodic . . . On the evidence of her devour-in-two-sittings debut, Erika Johansen is a born storyteller, and she's written a novel that is both gratifyingly full of classic fantasy tropes but also doing something intriguing, thrillingly different. For us, it was a simple case of 'must-have'."

Note: This info is from the U.K. publisher Transworld, so it doesn't really apply to the US release of the book.

Everyone seems to be going crazy over this book.

These publishing houses have paid millions for the rights and who knows how much Warner Bros. paid.

Edited by Roberto