Photo

The Bling Ring - Reviews and opinions

bling ring emma watson role

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Poll: The Bling Ring - Reviews and opinions

What did you think of it ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

I haven't seen it yet, but judging from the trailers and also Perks, the problem could be that Emma enjoys playing the role too much. That seemed obvious for me with Sam.

People don't enjoy being themselves so much.

yes, and I notice that when she was playing Hermione, she sometimes over does the acting a bit.

Yes, I'm not sure if I should trust my own judgement in this matter. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of people who had never seen Emma before.

that would be interesting to hear as well.

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

#42 Roberto

Roberto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

nL2DwrX.png

#43 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Mood::excited by tangents ô.Ô
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

I like how thoroughly lost his emphatic exposition is on the other guy.

"Ok, well, the 'hot bod' is not a characteristic."

#44 Bagel of Death

Bagel of Death

Dedicated Member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Mood::Pensive
  • LocationHot n' Sweaty Arizona!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

I am going to give this film 3 stars out of 5. Any fan of Sofia Coppola knows her work is hit-or-miss. And yet, The Bling Ring left me with a puzzling sense of mixed thoughts. The cast was gorgeous and the directing was artistically modern and stylish--unsurprising for Coppola. Still, the film lacked any real character development or depth. It was an hour and a half of cocaine, Chanel, vanity, and not much else. Emma Watson excels in her role as the vain "victim" of our self-obsessed culture, courtesy of Hollywood and drug-addled celebrities. And in reality, the film is quite witty and enjoyable to watch. However, it ends so abruptly that you can't help but think, "That's it?" The Bling Ring exists purely for lovers of pop culture or any "fans" of the real robberies. That aside, the film feels devoid of any real meaning. It lacks the nihilistic depth that Spring Breakers carried, despite its jarring similarities. Ultimately, it's enjoyable but unfortunately entirely forgettable.

34dpea0.gif

The AR Family: Chris (husband) ; Arie (daughter) ; Sarah (pet penguin) ; Jade (niece) ; Jon (father)

#45 chosenone14

chosenone14

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIL, USA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Great review. Unfortuanetly, I was left feeling exactly the same way. The characters had no depth, and ultimately, I was kinda meh about them all. Though I thought Emma was fabulous with the little that she was given.

~Carol

#46 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

Not having seen the movie, I guess the characters are supposed to be templates. They're not supposed to be fully fleshed-out individuals. Hearing the story behind the Bling Ring may leave some wanting for a full psychological profiling of its members, but that's a different movie. And in the end, even a deeper inspection of their motives might just reveal what the movie is hinting at: this is not at all surprising behavior for spoiled first world teens with too much time on their hands.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. It seems it doesn't preach and doesn't overanalyze.

#47 CRAPMUFFIN

CRAPMUFFIN

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

I was a bit disappointed with the movie actually, I loved the trailer and the idea, so my expectations were pretty high. I didn't feel any depth in either the characters or the realtionships between them, it wasn't dynamic, there were no strong turning points, and many scenes just felt so slow. It was like - party, stealing, party, stealing again, party again, blablabla.. Well, Sofia probably wanted to stay true to the story I guess. I think Emma did very well though, playing a character so far from herself was a great thing for her, I feel like it really improved her as an actress.

Posted Image

#48 ~Imagination~

~Imagination~

Energetic member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Mood::o.o
  • LocationThe largest country on the map

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

It came out in Russia only on the 4-th of July! Unfair! I found the movie online, gonna watch it there and if I like it, will watch in the cinema later too.

"You start to live the dream and before you know, there's a door that is opened and the moment you walk in, it's closed."

Posted Image

Banner: Jade

Call me Yulia

#49 ~Imagination~

~Imagination~

Energetic member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Alright, sorry for the double post but.. yeah gonna say some words before I forget them.

1-st of all didn't like the movie but liked Emma. Simply because it was super interesting to see her in a role of a "bad" girl", won't leave comments about how she managed that role, cause I'm not sure.

While I was watching this I was reminded of how I felt watching Spring Breakers. 

It doesn't feature the same surrealist art or sexual exploitation, but they both seem to lack a narrative structure and tell the story in a non-linear fashion.

There are no setups or payoffs. There are no character arcs. Scenes begin and end abruptly and are pieced together with musical interstitials.

This can be confusing to the audience and gives the whole movie a dream-like quality.

2-nd: you're absolutelly right! The movie was so boring that I kept wondering the entire time how come that Emma's hair grew so fast lol and how hot she looks as a brunette. And it has practically the same story-line as Spring Breakers. Spring Breakers is one of them most senseless movies I've ever watched. Who directed it btw?

3-d. A totally senseless thing is that how could they think they'd get into the houses lol. Celebrities for sure have plenty of security and anti-burglar system and the cars, how come they didn't start to honk when they even touched them. "Paris has left keys under the mat" yeah right. The movie founders could have made it more interesting by adding some action in those scenes. Btw, scenes. They are so messed up and confusing. Just like in Spring Breakers.

I guess that's all I can say. And yeah the trailer looked much better and my expectations were higher. When Rebecca was getting

testified, I thought she'd lie and betray all of them and thought they'd find nothing in her house, thought that she'd find the way to get rid of everything robbed before the police arrives, but no.

"You start to live the dream and before you know, there's a door that is opened and the moment you walk in, it's closed."

Posted Image

Call me Yulia

#50 Adebisi

Adebisi

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

1- wig

2-real events. they got into the houses in real life. Paris had her keys under the mat in real life

Y9m353j.jpg

#51 avd7711

avd7711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Mood::Peaceful
  • LocationParadise

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Oh no my message decided no to save. Well I didn't like the movie that much but liked Emma of course!

#52 Rena

Rena

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

i always wondered why the alarm systems didnt go off?

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
And the stars never rise but I feel the bright eyes
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling- my darling- my life and my bride,
In the sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

#53 ~Imagination~

~Imagination~

Energetic member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Me too.

Posted Image

Call me Yulia

#54 Thessalie

Thessalie

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

I thought that because they don"t break a window or crash a door, the alarm can't switch on... 

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself. 

Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

#55 ~Imagination~

~Imagination~

Energetic member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

I thought that because they don"t break a window or crash a door, the alarm can't switch on... 

And the car?

Posted Image

Call me Yulia

#56 ShipOfFools

ShipOfFools

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

I haven't seen it. I want to see it, though.

After The Perks, any role that Emma is in would be a letdown. She just nailed that role. 

"Actually I'm highly logical which allows me to look past extraneous detail and perceive clearly that which others overlook." - Hermoine Granger

#57 Emma_Rules

Emma_Rules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

After The Perks, any role that Emma is in would be a letdown. She just nailed that role. 

agreed...i love love love her as Sam in Perks, and the whole cast rocked. the movie rocked. woohoo! :happydance:

good_music_zps1def08f8.gif

#58 Thessalie

Thessalie

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

And the car?

Oh well when you don't lock your car, you can open it without any alarm switched on. That's what we see in the scene : she tries to open every car without properly "breaking in", and she finally find one car not loked. I guess that's because of the rich area, some people are just not careful. That happens even to not-that-rich people haha 

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself. 

Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

#59 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

waiting for August 15 :happydance:

#60 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

welp, the German voice overs are truly dreadful. From what I've heard the "Valley accent" sounds really blasé and just a little bratty, while the German voices sound hyper like they're screaming at each other over the noise of a rave or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users