The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Supreme Court voted the Defense of Marriage act as unconstitutional today!!!

For those who aren't familiar this Act was preventing same-sex marriages from being recognized in Federal Court. Which means that legaly married couples were loosing out on a lot of rights.

This is a huge step for the US. Next step is for more State to legalize gay marriage.

I am pretty stoked about this decision, what do you guys think?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/26/supreme-court-doma-decision_n_3454811.html

It's great to hear the Supreme Court sided with equality! :happydance:

People do not have to agree with everyone else's lives, but just to exhibit tolerance, allowing consenting adults to live their lives and be true to themselves.

If everyone focused on their own lives, instead of getting involved everyone else's personal business, this world would be a nicer, kinder place.

Congrats to those families who will benefit from this ruling. :hug:

Scalia's dissent to the DOMA ruling is mind blowing. Talk about being extremely bigoted. Same sex marriage is legal now in 13 states (Prop 8 was left for dead, so California can resume gay marriage). Given that California's congress now has a Democratic super majority (in both the house and the senate) it's more likely they'll take steps to officially legalize gay marriage if any opponents attempt a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage here again. On top of that it's extremely doubtful that an amendment banning gay marriage would pass in California now. It barely passed before and sentiments have definitely changed around here since 08.

I think it's a matter of time before gay marriage is recognized nationally and in every state. It might not be until a majority of states legalize it (I would say 30+ to be safe) but the way things are moving these days, it really doesn't seem that far off.

Legalization of gay marriages without much controversy is pretty much standard in Western Europe. With the possible exception of France, which was very surprising to me.

Legalization of gay marriages without much controversy is pretty much standard in Western Europe. With the possible exception of France, which was very surprising to me.

I feel Europe, the west in particular, has always been more open about sex than the US has. For some reason sex has been a taboo subject for a long time in America, a taboo that was breached in the 60's. Even so, a lot of people are still passé about the subject. When you examine certain countries in Western Europe, lets say GB or France, you'll notice a skittishness on violence rather than sex. For instance in their film rating system, sexual content and nudity won't get you an extremely high rating like say R, whereas a movie with more violent scenes will. It's pretty much the exact opposite in the US.

I wish more of the US was open with sex and sexuality. As for France, I think there was less opposition to the approval of gay marriage and more opposition towards the ability to allow gay couples to adopt. I think the majority approved of gay marriage but opposed adoption which set off the fire storm. Even so, I can't say I wasn't taken by surprise myself.

I wish more of the US was open with sex and sexuality. As for France, I think there was less opposition to the approval of gay marriage and more opposition towards the ability to allow gay couples to adopt. I think the majority approved of gay marriage but opposed adoption which set off the fire storm. Even so, I can't say I wasn't taken by surprise myself.

Yeah, well, equality was the issue. Which is one thing I find understandable, on an instinctive level, not a rational one. As far as I can judge from following the issue superficially there are no studies that would support the notion that homosexual couples were in some way less capable of raising children. Though, even if there was any evidence of that, the same scrutiny isn't applied to other people. For Germany, the numbers clearly say that children of parents with a higher education are much more likely to attain a higher education themselves. Yet I've seen no one arguing that only intellectuals should raise children (eh, with the possible exception of Plato).

I think what surprised me was not only the obvious lack of 'laissez-faire' but how freely all kinds of people mingled with what you could call right-wing scum. In France the middle class seems to have much fewer inhibitions when it comes to such alliances. In Germany the far right is associated and associate themselves rather openly with Nazism, and so by necessity they mostly recruit their followers among the stupid and desperate. Most people would take care never to be seen marching in file with such groups.

Edited by Sacred_Path