The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Jane Austen

I have added to my collection Sense & Sensibility and Pride & Prejudice.... so yay that makes it three from all her books, i might soon add the other at one point :D

You should read them first. :P If you don't like her style of writing you're pretty much screwed. Loosing out on money and all. :P

I've only read Pride & Prejudice so far, but I have copies of Emma, Northangar Abbey and Sense & Sensibility, which I will hopefully get round to reading soon. I really enjoyed Pride & Prejudice (and loved the film too) so I'm hoping the others will be as good.

I'm also very respectful of her work, I think she is a very talented writer. I'm always surprised to find genuine humour in her books, it is so refreshing. And there is something I love about this period (~17th century if i'm not mistaken).

I read several times Pride and Prejudice.

But I must say i mostly discovered her work with the movies.

If you've never seen the adaptations produced by the BBC I recomend them to you. I loved Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion and of course Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth.

I also liked very much Sense and Sensibility with Kate Winslet. And i'm a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley.

However, both versions with Gwineth Paltrow or Kate Beckingsale of Emma disapointed me. I find that Emma is not touching, the story doesn't interest me that much. I surprised that so many of you loved it ! ^^

And I didn't see Mansfield Park.

Yeah I feel the same about Emma. ^ It's my least favourite piece of work of hers.

As for Pride and Prejudice, it is by far my favourite. I found it a few months before the Keira Knightley verson of the movie come out.

oh thats disappointing :mellow: to know that about EMMA, i have the book which im still to read is it that bad or is it a okay read. :unsure:

Edited by Brigitte Fitzgerald

Brigitte, my opinion is that the movie of Emma (any version of it) is not as good as the others Jane Austen. But maybe the book is way better ! Make your own opinion, and if you don't like it eventually, don't finish it ^^

I should try to read it myself.