The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Protein milkshakes/cocktails

A question for those who work out and are into it or any professional trainers, if there are any. (I've consulted a few and can't come to one opinion) So I have this work out routine, which requires a lot of protein in a meal. So I wondered are these protein shakes are actually that good or do they even work? I take a protein milkshake (like milk + banana + ice-cream/cottage cheese + oats as my plan says) right after the work out. It's very nutritious, can repleace a meal, filling and yummy. Just what I need. Cause with my fast metabolism, I need 2500-3000 calories a day :P My friend says that it's stupid and doesn't rly work. Another says that it's a great idea, will keep me healthy, fit, cause oats are very good for skin and stomach functioning. Others say I should try this protein you buy in the sports shops. But I'm not gonna try that. It contains clear chemicals. So I prefer to take protein from natural products. Such as meat, eggs, milk, porridge. Also wondering. Is it that necessary to take 3 minute break between reps? cause it takes reaaallyyyy lots of time. I've heard if you do cardio, you should take 1 min breaks, I'm NOT doing cardio, focused on exercises with weights like squats, chest pressing, lunges etc.

So, if you take additional protein, what kind do you take?

Let me start off by saying I'm not a trained professional. The best thing you can do is to consult with a trained professional, or medical professional, and not an online forum. There's nothing more precious than your body, and it's good to have information from a variety of sources.

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Protein helps repair and build muscles. If you want to get really ripped, and I mean the type of ripped that body builders have, then the protein at sport shops is the way to go. I've got a feeling that's not the route you want to go so I'd stay with the ordinary routes of protein (eggs, meat, and almonds are good sources).

I'd strongly suggest adding cardio. A lot of working out is dependent on the person, and by that I mean each person really has their own routine. Cardio has a lot of benefits, particularly in burning fat. You can have super toned muscles, but fat can also cover them up (think abs). As for the reps that's up to you too. I'd strongly suggest keeping the 3 min break because it gives your muscles a chance to rest, but if you feel comfortable going into another rep sooner go for it. I'd suggest gradually chiseling off 10 seconds so your body can naturally accumulate over time. Definitely give your body a chance to rest though (at least a minute, maybe a minute thirty seconds.) If you don't give your muscles a chance to rest there's a greater chance you'll tear one. I generally do 3 minutes in between reps myself.

All in all I'd say it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want to lose weight, become ripped, just get back in shape? Protein products definitely have their benefits depending on what you want.

Let me start off by saying I'm not a trained professional. The best thing you can do is to consult with a trained professional, or medical professional, and not an online forum. There's nothing more precious than your body, and it's good to have information from a variety of sources.

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Protein helps repair and build muscles. If you want to get really ripped, and I mean the type of ripped that body builders have, then the protein at sport shops is the way to go. I've got a feeling that's not the route you want to go so I'd stay with the ordinary routes of protein (eggs, meat, and almonds are good sources).

I'd strongly suggest adding cardio. A lot of working out is dependent on the person, and by that I mean each person really has their own routine. Cardio has a lot of benefits, particularly in burning fat. You can have super toned muscles, but fat can also cover them up (think abs). As for the reps that's up to you too. I'd strongly suggest keeping the 3 min break because it gives your muscles a chance to rest, but if you feel comfortable going into another rep sooner go for it. I'd suggest gradually chiseling off 10 seconds so your body can naturally accumulate over time. Definitely give your body a chance to rest though (at least a minute, maybe a minute thirty seconds.) If you don't give your muscles a chance to rest there's a greater chance you'll tear one. I generally do 3 minutes in between reps myself.

All in all I'd say it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want to lose weight, become ripped, just get back in shape? Protein products definitely have their benefits depending on what you want.

As I've said I've consulted a few and I know a few and can't come to one opinion, you know I end up always cutting things out of my work out plan, adding new or figuring out they suck or I don't wanna do them and re-do sth or I get lazy or w.e.

Well. Def. not getting ripped lol, that's sth I strongly avoid. (altho proferssionals say that female body can't get ripped, for that you need certain hormones and rly heavy work out) So what I'm focusing on is staying in shape, being healthy and active and doing exercises for a curvy body. Yes. what girl doesn't want an hour-glass. And didn't want to say that but focusing on the shape and volume of my um behind :P   So hitting glutes, doing lots of squats, lunges, pull ups, w.e. you call them. And working out on the upper body, altho I think it's stupid, you can't change the size of your breasts. But all trainers I've talked to say in one voice that working out the chest muscles lifts the breast, so it's um good. Idk. So I do upper work out 3 times in 2 weeks. 

Well cardio is not for me. Altho I like doing that. But it burns calories. No, I'm noway trying to lose weight. I never gain any.

Also I can't get so much protein in food, can't eat so much of the same products eh. So I make milkshakes with them.

Edited by ~Imagination~

You could try a protein supplement or something of that nature. Generally though those protein products sold in sports shops (things like muscle milk, ect) are meant for building and maintaining large muscles. I think it'd be overkill for staying in shape. Diet and exercise are your best bet and it sounds like you've got a handle on things right now.

You'll probably end up tweaking your work out. I've added and subtracted things over the last year. I've come to a point where I have my main routine figured out, but I'm still adding and subtracting things. Roll with what works for you. Cardio also isn't just for burning fat. It helps in a variety of areas. It's good for your heart, it helps your metabolism, it can help regulate certain hormones, it can improve stamina, and it can help your recovery after workouts too. I champion it simply because after I started adding it after my weights I noticed a huge difference in terms of how fast I recovered and how good I felt. You don't have to go overboard, but even something like jump roping for 10 minutes after weights can make all the difference

All in all if you're trying to stay in shape you're definitely on the right path.

Some time ago I cancelled exercises out of my plan like abs and stuff, cause I thought that I don't need them. I left the glute, legs, thighs, then added chest and arm exercises (well not rly added, I just skipped them, cause I never feel sure how can push ups or wall press do anything for a girl, mostly when I see those fitness girls, they always have fake breast) If you look at my work out plan, you'll see that it's only focused on these muscles.

Well it's not like I lift heavy weights tho, I just work with 2-3kg and I don't want more. Idk, I simply feel unconfident about cardio.  But I like those moving exercises. I don't know if I should add them back.

Now it's time for a milkshake which consists of milk, cottage cheese and oats. Doesn't sound yummy but it's healthy!

• 9 years later...