The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Entertainment Weekly August 2013

She is showing people her range no question. I love and will forever love Emma as Hermione Granger (Weasley). But after seeing her as Sam and Nicki in the last 2 movies, it makes me want to see Emma a lot more.

She is smart for holding out for the right parts and not playing parts just for the sake of playing parts. Jennifer Aniston (whom I love) did just that after her Friends career. She had some hits but then started to play parts I felt for the sake of playing in a movie.

Thanks for posting Roberto! I don't get EW magazine anymore.

HOW COULD U TELL EMMA WATSON SHE SHOULDN'T ACT?!? *angry*

I wonder this too.

Did they mean she shouldn't act because it would conflict with her uni schedule or something more specific?

I wonder this too.

Did they mean she shouldn't act because it would conflict with her uni schedule or something more specific?

that's the prob. she didn't mention the motive the professor had to say such a horrible thing. It is horrible no matter the reason.

Wether he/she meant it ''because it would conflict with her uni schedule or something more specific'' it is still making me angry.

The sad thing is if Emma becomes a teacher of English for example, it will never guarantee the press/paps will ever leave her alone.

She'll never turn back to anonimity. Emma for sure thought about this aspect; and she regained confidence in her own powers and talents.

The professor statement is so vague though. The professor could have said she shouldn't act because she has so much potential in another area, for example. I don't think it was necessarily a diss on the professor's part, but perhaps a way of showing there is a lot more out there.

Or the professor could be a jerk who hated her acting and felt it necessary to discourage her. But that seems less likely to me, to be honest.

Or the professor could be a jerk who hated her acting and felt it necessary to discourage her. But that seems less likely to me, to be honest.

The dear professor, like all elderly nerds, was a huge HP fan and didn't want Emma to ever be anything but Hermione.

:P

Well, I think, there are definitly people out there, thinking that she cannot act. This is a personal point of view (on Emma and every other actor/actress). If she can "act" in a technical sence can, so my thinking, only be answered by people, who are for many years in the movie business. But such judgements are seldom made publicly. A hint is maybe, in how many movies a actor appears over the years.

Emma has certainly a acting talent, all I miss from her is a great dramatic role that carries a movie. I cannot say, if she is playing "Niki" well or not; maybe a native US-fan can judge this better; unfortunatly Sam was also a US-teenager. Lucy in "MwwM" (a ENGLISH girl) was very well interpreted by Emma; I think, we need her in a big european part to see for ourselfs.

I hope that Noah will show more of her talent.

And the professor: maybe he did not agree to the "special treatment", Emma gets/got from University. Maybe he did not agree to her "on/off studies"? That would make sence and would be something, a parent would also say to a child: "Finish your education, then go on stage...."

Emma is a person of many talents and skills(her people tree collab + she is a painter herself) but you don't have to say it like that ''you shouldn't act''.

I wasn't there to witness it, but still seems rude to me. If she didn't do the juggling act we wouldn't have had noah, perks in the pipeline at all. I am greatful

she tried hard to bring these characters to life, she helped making perks-taking the script to big studios. It was well worth it.

This is why I didn't say any comment to the professor saying that. I would hope like anything that a professor would be encouraging. But yeah could be the prof was a jerk or saying you have so much more to give your talents in directing, writing, producing, etc...just don't listen to that though Emma-you could always do that when you are in your 50's :) Keep acting and giving us these awesome performances you have been giving in your movies!!! :) Just looking forward to the next role she plays in Noah and then the next role after that!!! :) Emma is a refreshing talent to see on the big screen (aside from Potter)-there are too many actors/actresses these days that just cant act.

Yeah, maybe I just like to assume the best of people, but I feel like professors are meant to guide their students and kind of... present options to them. Said professor likely knows Emma's non-acting-related talents and ambitions much more than any of us do, and likely saw potential of her in a different field. Of course at the end of the day it's up to Emma (or to any person trying to figure out where they belong in the big, wide world) to evaluate the advice and constructive criticism and make a choice (as she seems to have done, for now anyway). 

But yes, essentially that is a professor's job. To educate and to inform students of what they're capable of. It's unlikely that a random professor that Emma did not have a bit of a relationship with waltzed up to her in the hallway and was like "yo betch quit acting!" It was likely a comment that arose from a conversation about ambitions, career goals and the future, if Brown/Oxford have the stellar faculty we're all lead to believe!

LOL Ling when did you turn all home girl? ;) "yo betch quit acting" this made me laugh...but yeah I would also hope the prof is a guiding force and not a downer...unfortunately there are those few profs that you question why are you in teaching? I was lucky that out of all my various profs there were only 3 who were utter jerks...so yeah they're out there but ya just need to get past them.

LOL Ling when did you turn all home girl? ;) "yo betch quit acting" this made me laugh...

This is how I talk in my daily life. I only sound like an encyclopedia online. In real life I am a straight up gangsta.

It was negative actually so I was instinctively right about it. Here's the FULL article. I agre homeys, Ling and special K but still! Here's the proof.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/08/02/emma-watson-new-hollywood-career/

ROFL!!!!! LOVE IT homey!!! ;) hehe...Wait yall from Canada talk like that? :)

sup gurl? I'm from Romania and I write like that too lol

LOL Ling when did you turn all home girl? ;) "yo betch quit acting" this made me laugh...but yeah I would also hope the prof is a guiding force and not a downer...unfortunately there are those few profs that you question why are you in teaching? I was lucky that out of all my various profs there were only 3 who were utter jerks...so yeah they're out there but ya just need to get past them.

....with Emma's case seems that the prof. did a bad job at it unlike Ling has mentioned. That is why she felt like sharing it to the press and prove the to jerk what she's made of hence she CAN TOTALLY act. Hermione was a demanding role, and she is about to become a character actress just like the ones she worked with and admires.

Yeah, maybe I just like to assume the best of people, but I feel like professors are meant to guide their students and kind of... present options to them. Said professor likely knows Emma's non-acting-related talents and ambitions much more than any of us do, and likely saw potential of her in a different field. Of course at the end of the day it's up to Emma (or to any person trying to figure out where they belong in the big, wide world) to evaluate the advice and constructive criticism and make a choice (as she seems to have done, for now anyway). 

But yes, essentially that is a professor's job. To educate and to inform students of what they're capable of. It's unlikely that a random professor that Emma did not have a bit of a relationship with waltzed up to her in the hallway and was like "yo betch quit acting!" It was likely a comment that arose from a conversation about ambitions, career goals and the future, if Brown/Oxford have the stellar faculty we're all lead to believe!

Yeah I agree with you huney. This professor though...WAS wrong about this tough cookie. It hurt her since she mentioned it(what a payback).

i always thought Emma was a damn fine actress, for her eight HP films as Hermione, and knew she could do anything she put her mind and considerable talent to. that professor should stick to his academic interests and let students chase their dreams, whatever they might be. do what you want, Emma, i got your back. :wub: