The Emma-Watson.net Forum

To Kill A Mockingbird

I love this book. I studied it in school and got a B on my coursework for it. I loved it so much after school I brought the book and movie. It has such a good moral to it. Anyone else a fan?

I had to read this book for school and I really enjoyed it. I used to have a copy of the book but when I moved out of my mom's house most of my books got lost in the shuffle, including that one and I keep meaning to pick it up at the book store. I haven't read it in a really long time though.

I read this book after Emma mentioned it in an interview and I said I'd write a review for Watson Weekly. Once I started, I was hooked and I couldn't stop. I recently watched the movie and found it as good as the book. Gregory Peck was very charismatic, in a quiet but determined way. I was also very touched by the little girl who played Scout. That scene where the men of the town show up at night in front of the prison in order to lynch the accused, and she talks to them, in her innocent voice, not understanding what's going on, and undermining the collective, almost sheep-like, intent to kill by addressing the men separately, as individuals, therefore reminding them of their human nature was very powerful.

I find Atticus Finch such an inspirational character. He doesn't bend to social pressure, he insists on doing what he feels is right and on setting a good example.

I'm a lawyer as well, and when I think of Atticus Finch and his deep faith in justice, I know why I chose to become a lawyer.

Thanks for creating this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How old are you may I ask? I think it's the broader our minds are the more we understand it.

I was in top classes at school, predicted top grades everyone else in my class loved it. Bottom sets hated it. I suppose you have to be into literature to understand/like it.

How old are you may I ask? I think it's the broader our minds are the more we understand it.

I was in top classes at school, predicted top grades everyone else in my class loved it. Bottom sets hated it. I suppose you have to be into literature to understand/like it.

I'm 14, and am in "higher classes (specifically honors, which is one step lower from the highest class which isn't available to our grade level). It's the same in my school, too.

Edited by ckravitz

Love it. We always called the book Tequila in my AP Lit class. X]

I never read the entire book until my senior year of high school. It was really good, but nothing I'd reread just for fun.

Howcome you wouldn't re-read it?

We just watched the movie in class. It was good, and I really liked the court case just like I did in the book. I do have to say, though, that I like the book much better. The movie focused more on racism than Scout's maturity. I also really liked the scenes with the camilla flower (mrs. Dubose), which was taken out of the film. Also, I liked the scene with the house fire, and that was not in the movie. I also missed the school scene in the movie, which I thought was very interesting.

It was a nice film, though.

We also just did a mock trial pertaining to the book. For example, I was the lawyer in a group of four accusing the defendant, Mayella Ewell, of perjury during the Tom Robinson trial. The jury (the class) decreed that the prosecution (my group) put up a great argument, and we "won." The defendants called Dr. Reynolds to the stand. This was their mistake. I RIPPED him apart :yesyes: .

At the end, everyone said I will be (we were the first group to go) the best lawyer in the class when we finish the rest of the trials. It was a lot of fun, and I might go and post the questions I asked Dr. Reynolds here in a little while.