The Emma-Watson.net Forum

British GQ October 2013

Those adjectives do not describe the tone of the article at all. Try patronizing, condescending, dismissive, sarcastic.

Reading the interview again, I think he was just bitter about having to spend so much time with his children watching Harry Potter and less time admiring himself.

Sarcasm is mostly a question of style I'd say. Patronizing, yes, maybe. Although he called himself a cranky old man in that article, so everything after that should be taken a grain of salt. ;)

Emma herself attributed most of her success to chance in that interview (if he quoted her correctly). It's a case of "see, I'm putting myself down all the time so please don't do it too, and maybe say something nice about me". He just didn't. That seems to prove his point that Emma is "looking for nurture". Arguably, that's not a particularly clever insight, as I think you can easily get this impression of Emma with her polite manner accentuated by her small frame and young face. But it seems to be true. If he just wanted to be a dick he could have taken some potshots i.e. at her lemons and lemonade line (I thought he did, but looking up trenchancy it just seems to mean forcefulness ;) ). He just went overboard with implying how unimpressed he was with her; implying that she has to prove she's worth the hype. And that's probably the case.

Sarcasm is mostly a question of style I'd say. Patronizing, yes, maybe. Although he called himself a cranky old man in that article, so everything after that should be taken a grain of salt. ;)

Emma herself attributed most of her success to chance in that interview (if he quoted her correctly). It's a case of "see, I'm putting myself down all the time so please don't do it too, and maybe say something nice about me". He just didn't. That seems to prove his point that Emma is "looking for nurture". Arguably, that's not a particularly clever insight, as I think you can easily get this impression of Emma with her polite manner accentuated by her small frame and young face. But it seems to be true. If he just wanted to be a dick he could have taken some potshots i.e. at her lemons and lemonade line (I thought he did, but looking up trenchancy it just seems to mean forcefulness ;) ). He just went overboard with implying how unimpressed he was with her; implying that she has to prove she's worth the hype. And that's probably the case.

''So, Watson will always be, for me, a nice middle-class English girl pretending to be another nice middle-class English girl who’s lucky enough to have magical powers for which she’s extremely grateful.''

Emma is right. This isn't fair to do, the guy was a total dick writing this whole crap of article. There are no q&a's just quotes, I don't even trust it, he could have twisted everything; like ''Nowadays Emma Watson is set to make a lot more lemonade, and as I left her I thought: I damn well hope it’s potable — then checked myself. After all, why does it matter to me? Unlike with her earlier screen incarnation, I will not be compelled by my children to witness these ones. No, I can decide to watch her movies or not, as I choose, just as she has chosen to become a real grown-up actress. And that, surely, is what cinematic art should be: an act between consenting adults.'' I for one won't read it again.

You and Jonny should consider leaving the forum because you are anything BUT fans, I think you belong to Pottershots.

Those adjectives do not describe the tone of the article at all. Try patronizing, condescending, dismissive, sarcastic.

Reading the interview again, I think he was just bitter about having to spend so much time with his children watching Harry Potter and less time admiring himself.

There is a missunderstanding. I was not writing about the style of the article, I was writing about the mood, the author was in when interviewing her and writing it. He was surely not the girl from the Rooky-Magazine ("OhmygooooodIaminterviewingEmmaWatsonandsheisinvintingmeinherkitchenooooohgooooooood"), but maybe only a onlooker with no fan attitude. I also know, that it is still a offence to write a critical article about her or asking her serious questions (like: "Why is a intelligent and witty person like you telling 8-shoes-stories?"

For me, still most of the interviews of Emma are not real. Read the Michael Douglas - interview in the same GQ-Mag, and you will know what I think.

''So, Watson will always be, for me, a nice middle-class English girl pretending to be another nice middle-class English girl who’s lucky enough to have magical powers for which she’s extremely grateful.''

He just wrote what he saw - without the "fan-spectacles" so many have on their nose here.

yea, Im still remember how much do you like get drunk

Yes, I have to. Otherwise I would not be able to deal with people like you.

Where's the problem? Can't you accept that other people aren't fans?

The one thing where you can agree or disagree is if Emma had proven by that point in time that she deserves all the press she gets (and boy, she does get press. Woman of the Year). Personally, I can totally understand if people question her status when they're not fans.

There are no q&a's just quotes, I don't even trust it, he could have twisted everything;

Yeah, it was an opinion piece. Not very informative, but you have different styles of interviews.

You and Jonny should consider leaving the forum because you are anything BUT fans, I think you belong to Pottershots.

It's the other way round. Being here proves I'm a fan because it takes me real lifetime to write something :) Also I'm making it a point to watch every single movie she's in (not counting cameos). So yeah, I'm a fan.

I mean, I live in England. I spend time at the pub. And nobody has ever sat around discussing Emma. I can't think of a reason why anyone WOULD sit around at the pub discussing Emma. If I pulled out the GQ article and started talking about it, people would think I had lost it, because NOBODY does that. o_O

I mean, I live in England. I spend time at the pub. And nobody has ever sat around discussing Emma. I can't think of a reason why anyone WOULD sit around at the pub discussing Emma. If I pulled out the GQ article and started talking about it, people would think I had lost it, because NOBODY does that. o_O

Nobody..... well, in your world. But if yo are invited by a friend (a violinist) to join a group of young/middleaged artists (musicians, actors, two ladies from a pr-agency), then MAYBE the topic comes up, esp. if you are asked what you have done during the day and you tell them that you visited Watford (HP-World) and that you was surprised about the jokes, the staff is making there about the "golden trio". It was just a part of a night-long conversation about various topics, but it was interesting to hear the opinions of some "natives".

I imagine the conversation went as most conversations with Jonny go... With him spouting off some nonsense and everyone else staring at him silently before attempting to change the subject.

@ ling:

you behave the way most people behave, which have no valid arguments: you are getting personal and insulting.

@ Sacret:
no, it was more like: "Emma - who?????"

The rest of the evening was funny, entertaining and polite (Politness is something english people are born with - in contrast to folk out of the Commonwealth)

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

@ Sacret:

no, it was more like: "Emma - who?????"

The rest of the evening was funny, entertaining and polite (Politness is something english people are born with - in contrast to folk out of the Commonwealth)

This is exactly what I was saying... that nobody would have a conversation about Emma because NOBODY CARES and if you DID bring her up nobody would have anything to contribute.

P.S. Canada is part of the Commonwealth, so thanks. ;)

This is exactly what I was saying... that nobody would have a conversation about Emma because NOBODY CARES and if you DID bring her up nobody would have anything to contribute.

On the contrary; it was just a funny remark to Sacrets comment.

And you can bet, the people had a opinion about her.......

Me too, so what??

youre so stupid that you want with all your heart to believe every piece of shit people say about her,  then you come here and post your bullshit. For what? what do you gain proving Emma is a terrible person

look at you, a 50 years old man with family worrying more for drunk people to get information about where live a 23 years old girl JUST to stand in front of her house(said by you).

Everybody here hates you, thats an opinion, so you have to believe it, the same way you believe what you want to believe.

If thats make you happy, from now I gonna believe Emma is the devil and she kills a cat before go to sleep.

Hey look, you won a follower, I think Emma is an aweful person, anyone else???

Me too, so what??

youre so stupid that you want with all your heart to believe every piece of shit people say about her,  then you come here and post your bullshit. For what? what do you gain proving Emma is a terrible person

look at you, a 50 years old man with family worrying more for drunk people to get information about where live a 23 years old girl JUST to stand in front of her house(said by you).

Everybody here hates you, thats an opinion, so you have to believe it, the same way you believe what you want to believe.

If thats make you happy, from now I gonna believe Emma is the devil and she kills a cat before go to sleep.

Hey look, you won a follower, I think Emma is an aweful person, anyone else???

Hmm, WHO is drinking here too much, eh?

And I am only reading what SHE is saying in interviews....

And I am listening to the opinion of other people.....

And do you really think I need a forum like this one to make/have FRIENDS?

Muahahahahahaha..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

On the contrary; it was just a funny remark to Sacrets comment.

Ok. So,the people you spoke to had an opinion about her,and they ALL have THAT same opinion in all of England because the entire UK was att the Pubs you went to? Fine! and that makes it ok for you to come here and upsets fans of Emma who clearly has another

opinion about Emma than you-and ofc the rest of the world that is, because noobody else cannot like Emma over

the thinks she does or doesn't do these days.

I don't understand why you  and  Sacred path don't let this site be!

I´m not a very big fan of Emma and I never quite understood whats so special about her, she used to be a cute little girl in HP and now she is a quite pretty and I would watch her movies only if I found the  plot enterested enough ,but I 100% respect the ones who do like her and wants to follow and be apart her post HP career.

Jeesh, leave

and let the FANS of Emma enjoy at least a few threads without your negative comments about everything!  No matter what you never say anything positive about her. :wacko:

HIRES would be AWESOME!!!! :) Btw have to say it...Emma haters really need to leave here. I am not talking about people with opinions that are mature and disagree over things either-we are all entitled to our opinions. I am talking about the stupid haters on here. I really question why SOME are here. Anyway, once again yes I think Will Self is a complete and total jack arse. I only have heard other journalists who have interviewed Emma say kind and sweet things about her. This girl doesn't deserve anything bad said about her. She just doesn't. I for one am super proud of her for calling this arse Will Self out. Emma shouldn't let anyone push her around.

Because I'm a fan, not a fanboy. Unfortunately, some people here are unable to appreciate the difference. I think they're more suited to send Emma retarded messages on Twitter, or spam their tumblr with pics.

Because I'm a fan, but not a "yes-man". Unfortunatly some people here accepting each and everything Emma is doing/saying without asking questions and without thinking about, if it is true/realistic. (just saying: "pole-dance", "8 pair of shoes").  And what's wrong with asking questions?