The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma Watson to star in 'A Voice In My Head'

Emma Watson has signed to star in Your Voice in My Head, the adaptation of the Emma Forrest memoir that Francesca Gregorini will direct.

Academy Award nominee Alison Owen, a producer on the upcoming Saving Mr. Banks, and Benaroya Pictures’ Michael Benaroya, whose credits include Lawless and Margin Call, will produce the drama, which will start shooting Nov. 4 in New York.

The project moved out of Warner Brothers and is now on the independent track. And Watson is back with Gregorini, the daughter of famed Bond girl Barbara Bach, who co-helmed the Rooney Mara coming-of-age drama Tanner Hall.

International Film Trust (IFT), the recently-launched division of Benaroya Pictures, is selling the project internationally in Toronto. CAA is repping domestic rights.

I certainly wasn't expecting this.

Since this is no longer a studio project and will most likely have little distribution, the scope of this has decidedly decreased.

Gregorini's only directed two movies. The first grossed $5,000, and the most recent one was never even distributed. It only screened at festivals.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will need to wait and see...waiting for Emma to say something on twitter about it. All other news reports still have Emily Blunt listed...basically want confirmation ;) Emma is finishing school so dont know how this would conflict with studies. If this is true, this will be Emma's first lead role which I have been dying to see her do (Rupert as well).

The Full Press Release via International Film Trust:

EMMA WATSON TO STAR IN BENAROYA PICTURES ‘YOUR VOICE IN MY HEAD’ 

INTERNATIONAL FILM TRUST TO HANDLE FOREIGN RIGHTS

Los Angeles, CA (September 8, 2013) – Emma Watson (HARRY POTTER, BLING RING) will star in Francesca Gregorini’s ‘YOUR VOICE IN MY HEAD’, written by acclaimed novelist Emma Forrest and adapted from her NY Times Bestseller.  The film will be produced by  Academy Award nominee Alison Owen (SAVING MR. BANKS, JANE EYRE, ELIZABETH) and Michael Benaroya (LAWLESS, MARGIN CALL, KILL YOUR DARLINGS) for Benaroya Pictures.  The announcement was made today by International Film Trust’s (IFT) President Ariel Veneziano who will handle all international rights to the film alongside IFT’s Head of Sales Christian de Gallegos.

CAA is representing the domestic sales rights on YOUR VOICE IN MY HEAD. 

YOUR VOICE IN MY HEAD, whose script was awarded a position on the prestigious Black list, will start shooting on November 4, 2013 in New York and is based on Emma Forrest’s inspirational story of a young bipolar English woman living in New York and the heroic, selfless psychiatrist who saves her life while fighting for his own.

“We are incredibly excited to be working with Emma Forrest as she is one of the most sought after writers right now. Her story is intensely personal, with moments of humor just at the right time,†said producer and IFT co-founder Michael Benaroya.

“Starting her career so young and literally growing up in front of us, Emma Watson has established herself as a sophisticated and talented actress.  She is perfect for this role.†said IFT President Ariel Veneziano.

In addition to the HARRY POTTER series, Emma Watson’s credits include the Oscar nominated MY WEEK WITH MARILYN, Stephen Chbosky’s film adaptation of THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER, Sophia Coppola’s BLING RING and most recently a cameo in Seth Rogen’s THIS IS THE END. She will next be seen opposite Russell Crowe in Darren Aronofsky’s biblical epic NOAH to be released in 2013 by Paramount.

Listed on Variety’s “Top Ten Screenwriters to Watch†in 2009, Emma Forrest is a British-American journalist, novelist and screenwriter who began her writing career at the age of fifteen when she wrote a story on Madonna for the London Evening Standard. Her novels include Namedropper (1998), Thin Skin (2002), Cherries in the Snow (2005).   Her screenplays include BECOMING MUSIC about the life of the late musician Jeff Buckley and LIARS (AE).

Emerging director Francesca Gregorini co-wrote, with Tatiana von Furstenberg, her directorial debut TANNER HALL, a coming of age story starring Rooney Mara that debuted in official selection at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival.  Her second film, Gregorini’s film EMANUEL AND THE TRUTH ABOUT FISHES, starring Jessica Biel, was selected for the US Dramatic Competition at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival and will be released by Tribeca Films.

Emma Watson is repped by WME and Markham Froggat Irwin in the UK.  Francesca Gregorini is represented by CAA, The Schiff Company and Bloom Hergott.  Emma Forrest is represented by CAA and Casarotto Ramsay & Associates in the UK.

Emma Forrest put on twitter about Emma being in the article. The only thing that concerns me is it's Toronto which I dont know means releases here in the US. If this is 100% legit and all, I really hope they market it hugely here in the US...I am super eager to see Emma take a lead role :) the young woman is incredibly talented and really want to see her "in the spotlight" as lead :)

^I would say it's legit. Emma's agency has also tweeted about it, so it's not just a rumour.

The choice of director is a bit concerning though. Like Roberto said, she's only directed two films (also listed as writer and producer). Tanner Hall grossed just over $5000, with a $3 million budget. To be fair though, it only opened in 5 (five) theatres. The Truth about Emanuel ( or Emanuel and the Truth About Fishes) has only played at festivals so far, but Tribeca is planning a theatrical release later this year.

I am excited that she is doing another film but this specific one does not interest me at all. Still super excited and happy for her though, no complaints!

Me, I'm looking forward to Emma's performance as someone who's generally unstable and clueless (and not in a comical way like Nicki). I'm not looking forward to the story itself, biographies of celebs and pseudo celebs are always probably ripe with embellishment.

Emma Forrest put on twitter about Emma being in the article. The only thing that concerns me is it's Toronto which I dont know means releases here in the US. If this is 100% legit and all, I really hope they market it hugely here in the US...I am super eager to see Emma take a lead role :) the young woman is incredibly talented and really want to see her "in the spotlight" as lead :)

An ALARMING amount of films are produced in Canada and released in the U.S. More than you probably know. When I was a teenager, movies were filmed in my hometown all the time, and my friends and I would be extras during summer shoots. Brokeback Mountain, The Assassination of Jesse James are two that pop to mind immediately (because we were running around with Jake Gyllenhaal for one and Brad Pitt for the other). So I wouldn't worry about any attachment to any Canadian companies (although I didn't see mention of that, just that her last film premiered at TIFF which is fairly common as well). 

I've read Your Voice in My Head several years ago and it is a pretty good, solid memoir. Again, memoirs aren't plot driven, generally, so I imagine it will be a more "atmospheric" film a la Bling Ring. That said, re-reading the book I had a hard time picturing Emma in the role as Emma. :P It's certainly a more mature role, so if she is able to get into it, it could be a nice change. 

That said, re-reading the book I had a hard time picturing Emma in the role as Emma. :P It's certainly a more mature role, so if she is able to get into it, it could be a nice change. 

That works in her advantage though, I couldn't imagine/see her as a Nicki and here we are.

Great news. :) Emma seemed like she really wanted to do this film and was probably disappointed that she had to drop it a while back, so I'm happy that she was able to return and will now be doing the movie.

I hope she had a great summer, because she's going to have a busy fall/winter. :P

Wow! Ling I didn't know that! Ok then GOOOOOD....RELEASE it here Toronto!!! :)

I am eager to see Emma take on a lead role...Dan was always the main lead in Potter and Rupert and Emma were leads so to speak but not the main leads so it will be nice to see Emma take on a head lead.

I'm so happy Emma is back on for this. The book is great and I was very disappointed when Emma left. I had no desire to see the film with Emma Blunt. Not that I have anything against Mrs. Blunt, just that Emma Watson was the perfect fit. Now...I'm so happy she's back on. This Movie, if done right, will get an Academy nod...I can just feel it. That being said my casting picks for GH are Taylor Hitsch or Kit Harington. My picks for Simon are Corbin Bleu or Drake. I hope they keep Stanley Tucci as Dr. R. I hope whomever they pick for GH they do the Irish accent...yes please. :) Also during Emma Forrest describing Jacob fighting with the Angel to bless him....I feel that Emma had her own fight but instead of with an Angel it was with a Demon and instead of a blessing she fought for her sanity and her soul. To me the book is very profound and even though some people don't like Emma Forrest and think of her as a bad person for the things she did I think she is a survivor. She admits to being crazy and narcissistic people who fight battles for their lives usually end up a little crazy and narcissistic. I don't  think Emma Forrest is a bad person...I actually admire her strength. To write a book not about your qualities but about most of your flaws and just stripping yourself naked for the world to see is just very raw and people who can't see that well then I feel they are living with blinders and are missing out on real life and true Art. This film has the capability of being an Academy deserving film and I can't wait to see it.

• 2 weeks later...