The Emma-Watson.net Forum

NEW HARRY POTTER SPIN-OFF FILM

I had a strong sense that a spinoff would come to fruition at some point. 

JKR produced 7 incredible books in the HP series, so I have little doubt that she could do the same for a movie spin off. 

I always figured any kind of spinoff would involve one of the less explored figures in the HP series.  I thought the mer people were an intriguing option, but they even had something of a higher profile in the series than Newt Scamander did. 

I'm happy she has agreed to take on this project, no matter the end result.  There is simply too much promise for something else we can all enjoy not to be excited about it IMO... so I'm entirely with you on the excitement train Girlrauhljb. :) 

I'm excited about the prospect, but how it plays out may be entirely different. There's a lot of material she can explore from that world, and I have faith that JK Rowling will find something amazing to write about for the film. Having said that, I know there are going to be people out there who are going to think this is some kind of Harry Potter prequel or have some direct connection to him, and it's not. For us educated fans, we can differentiate, but there are those who will trash it because it has nothing to do directly with Harry. What does this mean? It means it's going to get compared directly to HP instead of being judged on it's own merits, which I think could ultimately hurt the project.

I guess only time will tell. I hope it turns out well.

Has someone actually read this book? Do you feel it would make a good movie?

For WB this is certainly a cash cow, but for JKR, I think it's more of an ego cow. HP is simply a different affair from obscure crime novels and simply less popular books like Casual Vacancy.

Fantastic Beasts is more of a catalog of the various beasts that inhabit the world. Generally she offers at least a description and tells you where to find said beast. Some of the catalog entries offer interesting stories, but they are pretty small in scale. I could see someone weaving a story around all the smaller stories presented within the book, but even then the book is like 42 pages long.

I would assume that JK Rowling knows a lot more about Newts history, and probably would create a story of his adventures as he discovers and catalogs each creature.

I'm not sure it's fair to say it's an ego cow for JKR. It sounded like Warner Bro's was going to go through with this project with or without her. Additionally her other non-HP books have received critical acclaim, although they weren't the mega blockbusters that HP was. Her use of pseudo names also suggests that she's not after the notoriety. It sounded like she planned to publish again under a different pseudo name after the last one leaked out. At the end of the day, if WB was going to release one of my works, with or without my help, I'd prefer being tied onto the project so I could make a faithful rendition of it.

I'm not sure it's fair to say it's an ego cow for JKR. It sounded like Warner Bro's was going to go through with this project with or without her. Additionally her other non-HP books have received critical acclaim, although they weren't the mega blockbusters that HP was. Her use of pseudo names also suggests that she's not after the notoriety. It sounded like she planned to publish again under a different pseudo name after the last one leaked out. At the end of the day, if WB was going to release one of my works, with or without my help, I'd prefer being tied onto the project so I could make a faithful rendition of it.

Uhm... did she sell the rights to HP altogether? In that case, yeah, I wouldn't want my artistic vision compromised either.

As for the pseudonym, she certainly wanted to see how well the book would be received on its own merits. I don't think that the wish to avoid publicity was the deciding factor there. I suspect honest curiousity mixed with possibly a bit of shyness considering she's new to the genre. But I imagine that the overwhelming emotional reaction she got out of people with HP must be something she's missing (she's still answering fan mail AFAIK).

Edited by Sacred_Path

Uhm... did she sell the rights to HP altogether? In that case, yeah, I wouldn't want my artistic vision compromised either.

Can't say for sure, I tried researching it a bit, but I couldn't come up with anything conclusive. One source mentioned that WB owns the exclusive rights to the Harry Potter universe, which I suppose would include Fantastic Beasts. Whether that means they'd have the ability to create a branch off series without JKR's permission, I couldn't say. It's not uncommon for authors to sell off the rights to material that branches off from a main series along with the main series. My guess is that WB bought the rights, or at least leased them, when they bought the rights for the Harry Potter series.

It's hard to say whether or not she's missing that overwhelming response. It's something few people achieve, and it probably does feel, if nothing else, gratifying. Personally I'd prefer to see her branch out some more for awhile longer, but if WB was indeed going to produce this with or without her, I'm glad she decided to help write the screenplay.

Mr. Pumpkinhead

JKR produced 7 incredible books in the HP series, so I have little doubt that she could do the same for a movie spin off. 

I agree with you ! It's HER world, HER characters, everything we love so deeply comes from her mind.

And I must say that the HP movies were sometimes disapointeing for me because I found the script badly written. Here she's not writing the book and leaving the script to someone else, she writes the script ! That's something completely different, and honeslty, I believe it can be GREAT. 

Although I didn't like the last two books I think Rowling absolutely succeeded in creating a fascinating universe which sadly, because of the narrative of the Harry Potter books, wasn't explored enough in my opinion. So, in that way I'm excited about a film coming out which is set in this universe but without the ties to Harry Potter. Definitely got my interest. I wonder who they will cast in the role of Newt Scamander. 

His chocolate frog card looks like this:

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31500000/Chocolate-frog-cards-harry-potter-31582194-251-238.gif

Not sure if that is the look they are going for, he kind of reminds me of Belle's father from the Beauty and the Beast...of course this will be a younger Newt.

Well technically HP is back ;) Not the HP we know and love but it is with the HP universe so to speak...one thing my friends and I are always talking about is a prequel....it would be SO amazing to see the Marauders era.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not sure that I am as on board with this as I was before.

I mean.. what happens whens 15 years from now we find out that Newt Scamander's favorite magical beast in the movie was just "wish fulfillment" for the pet JKR always wanted as a child but her parents wouldn't let her have?  And one of the other beasts would have been a more "credible" favorite in "reality". :puh:

I know.... low blow. :doh::P

Edited by Mr. Pumpkinhead
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...