The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma in "While We're Young"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, the young woman has more money that I can dare to imagine (same with Rupert and Dan)...these 3 can pick whatever they want...they are clearly not the types of actors who are accepting every job under the sun. They pick and choose...they can afford to do that. I hope this movie truly does go through...I would love to see Emma do some comedy of sorts :)

But that is my point... the trio are making wise decisions...they could easily have taken every role offered to them-but they don't-they turn down things that don't feel right to them and to that I applaud them all. There are too many actors out there who I swear just pick roles just to have their name out there. Ling, ya look good girl! :)

And to say they are not making wise decisions is only your opinion.

Which is a wiser choice? Pick roles based solely on what would further her career, or pick roles that are meaningful to her and she enjoys doing. I'd rather be happy than successful, and if Emma is happy, then I'd say she is both right now.

That's entirely YOUR opinion....

it really bugs me how no matter what she does ain't good at all, how she ruins her career, she's going to be even more in demand than now, film, beauty, fashion, there's nothing she cannot do,(actually there is smh she can't or won't do and that my friends is seeing your negativity, thank God). She'll thrive and you'll watch it with popcorn(optional). She has her solid fanbase, 10+ career, and good head on her shoulders with nothing to worry about, as she could turn to teaching english literature instead and never work again in film or related. Peace Out. Helen out.

Edited by Elena

Dook, you missunderstand me (again). All I wanted to say is, that you cannot say "rich girl = always wise desicions". A (very) rich person like Emma has no need to make "wise" decisions at all. Because, and in that point cbmac is right, if a decision turns out to be rubbish or false, the person can say: "Oh, what a pitty. The movie flopped. Ah, neverless.... Come on, Sophie, let's go skiing in France....."

A "normal" person like you and me cannot make such decisions, because we have to think much longer an advance. We have to know how to pay the rent next month, how to feed ourselfs (or our childen) ecc. ecc. Emma with her millions can make 10 flops in a row and she will still be rich. So she is not making wise decisions, she is just doing what she wants, without fear for the future.

I'd like to see her in this.

For the people who are doubting the story....I think we should all read the book before we decided whether it's going to be shitty or not.

What "new features" can this story have? I cannot see the impact for her career. It's just another B or C-movie. Easy to play, with no real dramatic content. As long as she is appearing only in fairytale/phantasie/SiFimovies I consider her not as a "great actress". Her real proof of talent is yet to come......

What "new features" can this story have? I cannot see the impact for her career.

While she may not generally lack job offers, by now I doubt by now that she has been offered a lot of good/ interesting roles (or movies). She took YVIMH, then it got cancelled, then she accepted again. At first I thought she only accepted to work with David Yates, but now it seems like she's willing to jump through a few hoops just to get a good role. Also she has admitted that there were some dry spells where she wouldn't get any offers at all. Edited by Sacred_Path

Of course, YVIMH will be different. Far away from the "nice, clean girl-image". But, and this is the question, WHY are there dry spells with no offers? Hollywood (not counting the British film industry) produces how many movies each year? Without any possible parts for Emma???? Something in this picture is wrong, and I do not get it, what. Did she upset the studio-bosses during the last years with putting too many (good) offers down? Are her expectations too difficult to fullfill (and I do NOT mean the question of her salary)? Are there too many "no go" from her, making it difficult for producers to book her (50 Shades...)? Was it wrong from her to publish a list of "want to work with" people, means, upsetting other directors/actors by not naming them????

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

Are there too many "no go" from her, making it difficult for producers to book her (50 Shades...)?

Something like that, probably. Let's remember what she said back when HP ended: no more blockbusters, no more fantasy movies, no American highschool movies (she didn't stick to the latter two). Add some high standards and you have a recipe for unemployment.

50 Shades is a curious matter though. I'd really like to know why exactly that's a no go for her. Does she find the idea of a sex slave demeaning? Is it simply not her own preference/ not something she thinks she could do convincingly? Is it just the shoddy writing that turned her off?

Something like that, probably. Let's remember what she said back when HP ended: no more blockbusters, no more fantasy movies, no American highschool movies (she didn't stick to the latter two). Add some high standards and you have a recipe for unemployment.

50 Shades is a curious matter though. I'd really like to know why exactly that's a no go for her. Does she find the idea of a sex slave demeaning? Is it simply not her own preference/ not something she thinks she could do convincingly? Is it just the shoddy writing that turned her off?

Ugh, a difficult topic. Difficult to discuss without getting the attention of the spanish inquisition......

I think she is influenced by various things in this case. Her upbringing (I do not think that she talked with her parents a lot about, uhm, reproduction), the erotic-free production of the Potter-movies (holding hands with shy smile means = we are a couple). Maybe she is - as she said herself - shy and not very self confident about her body and her effect on other people. I mean, even her photoshootings are set up on her hair, her well-proportioned face, her brown eyes and eyebrows and - her freckles. Nothing to say about this all - her eyes still driving me nuts - but is this all? And we should not forget the hypocrisy of the american people, when it comes to sex and nudity and the sometimes pervert reactions of the film industrie on that matter... ("Grettings from the Production Code!")

For a good actress it should be no question if you like personally a sexual practice, you have to perform in a non explicit form in a movie. It is - like many other things - part of the job and I think, the film industrie has a lot of things to make shooting such scenes decent and comfortable for all involved (see Keira Knightley in 'Dangerous Method').

"While we're young" will definitly not content such scenes. And so she is in a safe haven of a stressfree script by Chbosky, written to get no "R" or a more severe rating at the box office.

For a good actress it should be no question if you like personally a sexual practice, you have to perform in a non explicit form in a movie. It is - like many other things - part of the job and I think, the film industrie has a lot of things to make shooting such scenes decent and comfortable for all involved (see Keira Knightley in 'Dangerous Method').

I don't think so. If you have a problem with the glorification of violence in pop culture, it doesn't make you a worse actor/ actress if you don't accept that kind of role, for instance. Of course you could call it a lack of acting prowess if someone doesn't manage to play some specific role convincingly, but then there are limits to everything and also to what an audience accepts from a given person. If you can't overcome their disbelief it's not entirely your fault IMO.

I don't think so. If you have a problem with the glorification of violence in pop culture, it doesn't make you a worse actor/ actress if you don't accept that kind of role, for instance. Of course you could call it a lack of acting prowess if someone doesn't manage to play some specific role convincingly, but then there are limits to everything and also to what an audience accepts from a given person. If you can't overcome their disbelief it's not entirely your fault IMO.

So, if I follow your arguments, we will see her for the rest of our lifes only in fairytales, teenager-movies and sex- and crime free Sunday-afternoon--movies? Did she sign a contract with Disney????????

Or maybe, as time progresses, her preferences will change and she will grow and develop as an actor.

This, Roberto, is the real problem: you cannot grow in hassle-free, cozy movies with no real challenge for an actor or actress. It is no real challenge to play the Beauty in "Beauty and the Beast", it is no real challenge to be a fairy-queen in a movie for children - and so on. But it is a challenge to play a mentaly unstable girl (like in YVIMH). No one of her parts she did after Potter challenged her in any way - well, maybe kissing Eddie and Logan as exception.

She really needs dramatic parts in dramatic movies.

Yeah, I mean, who's ever learned anything from Guillermo Del Toro or Darren Aronofsky?

Bunch of studio shills, I'm sure.

Oh, I bet you could. You could learn a lot from these guys in DEMANDING, complex and difficult characters and roles.

Not as a princess in a fairytale (Beauty (sic!) and the Beast) or in a supporting role in a bible-fairytale (again).

So, if I follow your arguments, we will see her for the rest of our lifes only in fairytales, teenager-movies and sex- and crime free Sunday-afternoon--movies? Did she sign a contract with Disney????????

Nah. The learning process I'm thinking of will happen naturally on its own as she matures. Which doesn't mean that she'll definitely take on roles like 50 Shades when she's older of course. Come to think of it, it must be hard to relate to a sexual fetish you don't have, and it's hard to be convincing if you can't relate to something. I have no idea why some men like to wear women's shoes, for example. And acting like it for a whole movie would be... tough. ;)

Nah. The learning process I'm thinking of will happen naturally on its own as she matures.

For heavens sake, the girl/woman is 23! How long do you grant her to mature? Until 65? Other human femals having a family, children and a lot of responsibility at this age.

What if a family and children were exactly the catalysts that would help her to mature? There's a huge difference between being 20 and 30 IMO. Especially as far as sorting out all kinds of confusions goes, which is the vibe I'm getting strongly from Emma right now.