The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Emma in "While We're Young"

A full time activist? COME ON, BE REASONABLE!

Emma was never a activist. She did a little bit with People tree but pulled out in the moment she found out that there is no real success for her and her label. She even cancelled to follow them on twitter. She did - I think - a little bit with Camfed, but pulled out in the moment she got better jobs, like shootings or movies.

We should be realistic and not putting her on a pedestral, she does not deserve!

Oh, and soulsister: I was talking about things, she can/could learn for her acting abilities. It is of no value if she learned something about the american school-system, for example. The best thing she got out of this system was William, that's all......

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm....so you think she's only interested in fame and fortune?  I'm talking about her being a good

role model for little kids/teens and working with the environment. She would be great helping kids to learn to

become ecologically aware, because she's familiar to them, and they've seen her grow up. 

She lives green-practices what she preaches. She gives her dresses that she wears to premieres to her friends/resale shops,

and her favorite dress was the dark blue 1920's vintage dress she got at a resale shop. I think she wore it to the HBP premiere.

She's on the pedestal, that she deserves, because she's a good role model and a caring, kind person. Not many young actresses out there today can stand on that pedestal.

If she's not doing the movies you want her to do, why don't you write her the "perfect script", send it to her, and

see what she thinks?  I'm curious what "things" were you talking about that she can/could learn from her acting abilities?? 

What type of movie could she do, in your opinion, that would be an A-list movie? What would the character, plot etc be?

Who would be her costars? Where would it take place?

Johnny, if you were Emma's agent, what would be your ideal role for her??? What kind of image would you want her to project?? Just curious.

She lives green-practices what she preaches. She gives her dresses that she wears to premieres to her friends/resale shops,

and her favorite dress was the dark blue 1920's vintage dress she got at a resale shop. I think she wore it to the HBP premiere.

The dress was burgundy and she wore it to the London POA premiere.

Ummmm....so you think she's only interested in fame and fortune?  I'm talking about her being a good

role model for little kids/teens and working with the environment. She would be great helping kids to learn to

become ecologically aware, because she's familiar to them, and they've seen her grow up. 

No, I do not think that she is "only" interested in fame and fortune. I think she tries to live a normal life in many ways (using the tube for example) and she is - also not common for a movie star - in a stable and very lovely relationship with William. But I have to disagree if you call her a green activist. Ok, she bought a hybrid-car, but this is more or less a "fashion-thing" - it was "in" to buy such a car at the time she did it and I cannot remember any other real campaignes from her, besides the journey to Bangladesh and the short intermezzo with People Tree. People Tree was one of her excursions into a field she wanted to get familiar with - fashion design in a way. But after her first exitement was over, the whole thing ended soon. The same Camfed. I do not think that she ever made a trip for them (Bonnie Wright did), and a scheduled one was cancelled by Emma due to "work comittments" (--> twitter).

and her favorite dress was the dark blue 1920's vintage dress she got at a resale shop. I think she wore it to the HBP premiere

This is maybe also a cliché. Many of her beautiful premier-dresses are only borrowed or lented by the fashion industrie. I do not think that she is spending much money on the dresses, she wears at official engagements. The burgundy dress was a exception. As far as I know the story she and her mother wanted to creat for the first time a own "Emma-style" and it worked. She was picture-perfect that evening but it was a time when the fashion industrie was not aware of her adolescent beauty. And I definitly do not think that those dresses are ending up in resale stores. They are going back to the designers, with or without the shoes, they are also provide. And her normal street-cloth? The same thing. Maybe hardcore-fans like we here (well, mostly the female ones) would love it to have a worn jeans or T-Shirt of her in the closet. I think, big cloth-donations to resale-stores are not usual in Emma's life nowadays.

She's on the pedestal, that she deserves, because she's a good role model and a caring, kind person. Not many young actresses out there today can stand on that pedestal.

Pedestal yes, but not for her activities to safe the enviroment. The role model thing is a little bit outlifed. But of course, maybe you can find aspect of her life you can follow. This is individual for each of us.

If she's not doing the movies you want her to do, why don't you write her the "perfect script", send it to her, and see what she thinks?

This script (well, it is only a "plot summary" at the moment) excists in my computer for more then a year now. It is a solid british comedy in the style of Richard Curtis, telling the story of a young, fashion addicted grammar-school teacher from London, who changes for several reasons to a little school in a very rural district of the scottisch Highlands. And in this small isolated community she learns what life is really to be - birth, death, marriage, devorce - and her own love, of course. I tried to get a professional opinion for it, but it is nearly impossible to approach a director or actor (incuding Emma) with such a thing without personal contacts. Sending it to her agency or publicist would mean that the letter would be filed in a closet and that she never would get the thing in her own hands...... I even put up a facebook-side with the plot and send her the link by twitter, but she never reacts on such things and so..... But it would be fun. Emma as teacher in a Gucchi costume and heels in the middle of a herd of sheep......

I'm curious what "things" were you talking about that she can/could learn from her acting abilities??

Acting is in any way a difficult job. No, it is a craft that you have to learn. And it is difficult to learn it proppely, if you are doing too many things at the same time. Remember the uproar, when it came out that one of her professors had said to her that she should quit acting? Maybe he put it the wrong way. I would have said to her: "Emma, make a decision. It is not good for you to do University and acting at the same time. You need no degree to show us how intelligent, witty and clever you are. I suggest that you attend a very good school for acting and concentrate on your acting career....."

Acting abilities means, that you can really impersonate a character of a movie with all the little things around a personality. Showing real emotions. Laugh, cry, be happy, be sad, act in a violent dispute, act in a emotional love scene, act as a crazy person, as a murderer, a villain ecc. ecc. She was in all her last movies never really challanged with such scenes. It's too much "feelgood" for me.

What type of movie could she do, in your opinion, that would be an A-list movie? What would the character, plot etc be?

Who would be her costars? Where would it take place?

Gravity - for example. Nothing against Sandra Bullock, but the plot would have been much better with a younger, unexperienced counterpart against the "veteran" Kowalski. But this is only a movie which comes into my mind now. But it is really difficult to make a list of A-movies here. My opinion is, that she should do a real good comedy (but not a comedy after a old, often used plot!), a heartbreaking drama (it needs great acting talent to die the right way) and a action movie. With real action. All she is doing now is too much mainstream and too much "feelgood". But maybe she is seen by the studios as a "cash cow", because her big fanbase is buying nearly everything she does.

Johnny, if you were Emma's agent, what would be your ideal role for her??? What kind of image would you want her to project?? Just curious.

I would not be her agent for long - because she is very confident and in many ways also resistant to advice. I would suggest her a radical change of her image. No more school-girls. No more witches, fairies,princesses and beauties. No more feeldgood-movies. A dramatic, emotional role in a international movie. Her image - I would suggest her to run a perfect homepage, a perfect facebook-page and that twitter is her personal channel. She has millions of fans, but she is not really interested.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia

None of which means that she's not going to stay in acting. I'm sure Emma will continue to be a caring person, but I think the days where she was outspoken on a lot of issues are over rather than coming. I think Emma is aware by now that political and social messages from movie stars often don't ring true, and that she'd never really be taken seriously on these issues until she leaves show business. Which I I just can't see happening and also isn't supported by what she says. She's said she was desperate to act when she didn't get any offers for a longer time; doesn't sound like she's going to quit anytime soon.

I'm sure the last thing Emma wants to be is yet another one of those celebes who like to rub it in your face that they have the money to support feelgood causes and you don't.

A full time activist? COME ON, BE REASONABLE!

Emma was never a activist. She did a little bit with People tree but pulled out in the moment she found out that there is no real success for her and her label. She even cancelled to follow them on twitter. She did - I think - a little bit with Camfed, but pulled out in the moment she got better jobs, like shootings or movies.

We should be realistic and not putting her on a pedestral, she does not deserve!

Oh, and soulsister: I was talking about things, she can/could learn for her acting abilities. It is of no value if she learned something about the american school-system, for example. The best thing she got out of this system was William, that's all......

You are truly the biggest hypocritical Emma fan I have EVER had the displeasure of coming across...truly...you put Emma down for EVERYTHING she does or says. EVERYTHING....I don't get it...I am so freaking annoyed every time I come to a thread and see your posts because I know they will be negative as they have been for oh the past year. Why are you here? Are you this much of a loser to troll a forum of someone you clearly dislike? You need a life and fast. Also I am SO SICK of you saying we put this young woman on a pedestal. SO SICK. Why don't you just leave? She does NOTHING to you and yet you always, always find fault with her. I don't think I have ever seen you say anything positive about her. Do you even like her work? Do you think she is talented? I mean you always find fault with her from her clothes to her make up to her works with charities. I don't get it. She is probably one of the kindest and down to earth actresses out there today. Clearly actresses who try to live a good life, don't like to party, likes to work, likes to go to school and get an education she really doesn't need but chooses to go after, likes to give of herself and time when she doesn't have to is not the type of actress you like.

Shockingly enough this was a thread about a movie she is thinking about and yet once again jonny you had to belittle Emma. What a shock to know you had something negative say. Just leave already...clearly this forum upsets you as does Emma. Which honestly creeps me out a bit for someone who is so obsessed over what you feel she doesn't do enough of in her life for you.

Mods, I am seriously very sorry for this post but this person needs to hear how some here are feeling. His unnecessary posts are annoying. Like his signature...what the hell does that even mean? I am really scared of Emma Watson?

Anyway, to the other posters here I am sorry I took this space for this post.

Yes, yes. For some people it will always be difficult to look into the mirror of truth.......

@cbmac: please tell me, which great campaign for saving the enviroment she did in the past to give her the title of a "saver of the enviroment". I am eager to learn, anyway.

Oh, and the "down to earth"-thing: are you a close friend of her, living with her on a day to day basis to tell us again and again this old phrase?

I don't think Emma cares that much about fame and certainly not about fortune. But I don't think she's an activist. She's probably about as environmental as anyone and we have to remember that things such as environmentalism are a luxury of privileged people. It SHOULD be easy for her to be environmental and support fair trade initiatives because she can AFFORD to. 

God, though, if I have to see another movie about a metropolitan woman who moves to a secluded area to "find herself" and whatnot, I really might vomit. (Off the top of my head: The Holiday, New in Town, Hope Floats, Sweet Home Alabama, Under The Tuscan Sun, The Proposal, Leap Year, In Her Shoes, The Family Stone, Raising Helen... wow, what a boring and overdone trope.) 

God, though, if I have to see another movie about a metropolitan woman who moves to a secluded area to "find herself" and whatnot, I really might vomit. (Off the top of my head: The Holiday, New in Town, Hope Floats, Sweet Home Alabama, Under The Tuscan Sun, The Proposal, Leap Year, In Her Shoes, The Family Stone, Raising Helen... wow, what a boring and overdone trope.) 

I think there is no danger that you have to vomit - this movie will definitly never produced, so what? And of course, you are right. It is also a old, often used plot. But I do not feel guilty in this respect, because I know that the movie will never be produced.

Nevertheless, it would have been funny, seeing Emma sitting in the train, with her in the compartment a boy with his mother, who is reading for him four hours of "Harry Potter" aloud. And then she gets out at Glenfinnan station and is greeted by a large sign: "Welcome to Harry Potter-Land."

FFS dook, the forum craps itself when I put url tags around something.

As for Shepherd Emma, I can totally see that. As long as it's not just about her finding her sexual identity or a new take on gender roles (i.e. it doesn't matter that it's a female character), it shouldn't be too overdone.

Over the past decade Emma Watson has worn dresses from top fashion designers to the Harry Potter premieres, but she says the one that will always be special to her is the vintage purple gown she wore to the UK premiere of Prisoner of Azkaban.

“I’ve loved every dress I’ve worn for a premiere but probably the best is the purple dress from the 1920s. My mum and I found it in a vintage shop. It was torn but we had it repaired. The one rip we couldn’t mend we covered with a corsage. We dyed shoes to match and found vintage silk flowers for my hair. That was the first time I felt I was creating my own look so, although it wasn’t perfect by any means, that dress will always be special to me.â€

http://emma-watson.net/2011/07/25/emmas-favourite-premiere-dress/

Soulsister, for the blue dress:

Chanel spring couture dress:

This dress is simply breathtaking that every girl wants to have when laid eyes on. Sapphire sass is what they call this dress as well and its unique boho style beaded motive added an instant color pop to the plain satin dress.

A lot are not happy with her film "Bling Ring", and said that it was Emma took something out of the movie. I believe in Um, she can not play it. "a new film featuring Watson. yeah? play if the same shit, both in society and Tikhon, you can put it on the cross and send a pension. well, or the replacement of Sasha Grey" This is a quote from one viewer. I certainly do not agree with him. And I believe that she can do it.

Edited by Hermione Lestrange
  • 2 months later...

Emma mentions doing a comedy with Chbosky, possibly referencing this film:

http://ph.omg.yahoo.com/news/emma-watson-want-comedy-003000421.html

WATSON: Yeah, Steve Chbosky, who I did Perks with, and I have put together a comedy together at the moment and it’s something that I think earlier on in the Harry Potter films, that was one of the aspects that I enjoyed the most, was that Hermione was actually very funny. She was actually very unaware of herself and as a result, she was very comical. I missed that aspect as things got more serious and things got darker throughout the series. I really miss those kinds of scenes between Hermione and Ron where you would really laugh. And I did a play when I was at Brown, I did Chekov, and it was The Three Sisters and it was a really dark comedy and I really enjoyed getting to make people laugh. So yeah, it’s definitely something I want to do.

• 8 months later...

I don't think Emma cares that much about fame and certainly not about fortune. But I don't think she's an activist. She's probably about as environmental as anyone and we have to remember that things such as environmentalism are a luxury of privileged people. It SHOULD be easy for her to be environmental and support fair trade initiatives because she can AFFORD to. 

I think you're right, that for now unfortunately environmentalism is something expensive (more expensive food products, more expensive cloth, etc). I wouldn't say she's an activist too, she won't be demonstrating on GMO fields, but for example when she bought a Prius (wich is half electrical), it was definitely not fashion move "I can buy expensive, I buy a Prius" haha It was a more concerned choice I believe. Through those acts she participates to make efforts.

If we could all make little efforts, it would have a big effect ^^ For example I started like 6 month ago to recycle my used papers, instead of mixing it in my trash bin with everything else not recyclable. And that not something that asks for a lot of money :) 

Anyway...

Nice info @KS987, i'd love to see her in a comedy. Something that would change from her other movies ! 

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...