trixie

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

http://m.deadline.co...ile-were-young/

Well. Good for her!.

there's nothing I N T E R E S T I N G about being P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

#62 cbmac12

cbmac12

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

That's what I say too Trixie! :) :)
Posted Image

deeply inside credit (HP collection)

#63 greenlight

greenlight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:42 AM

Yes, she should. But a sophisticated one, written and directed by Richard Curtis (for example), not this rubbish.

Richard Curtis = sophisticated? Hardly. He had some movies that weren't that good. And to call this rubbish right away without even do some research it speaks how ridiculous your judgment is. For your information, the writers of 500 Days of Summer will be writing this one. 500 Days of Summer is one of the most critically acclaimed movies in 2009.

#64 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

Richard Curtis = sophisticated? Hardly. He had some movies that weren't that good. And to call this rubbish right away without even do some research it speaks how ridiculous your judgment is. For your information, the writers of 500 Days of Summer will be writing this one. 500 Days of Summer is one of the most critically acclaimed movies in 2009.

Even if William Shakespeare would write the script for the movie, it would not be better. My critic is, that she (Emma) is (again) wasting time and talent for a movie, which plot was used again and again in the past. It is not new, it is not inventive, it is not demanding - just ... old. It's the same like with "Beauty and the Beast". By chance - switching through the tv-channels - I saw a version of "B&B" from 1933 (!). In Black and White and maybe the first sound version. This story is also told so many times that it is far away from beeing new, inventive, demanding.

I do not care if Chbosky is doing another version of a very old story - but I care for Emma and I want her to take parts, giving her the possibility to be a real actress, putting all her artistic talent (which is never challenged in movies like this one) in it.

"Benutze es!" = "Use it!"

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#65 greenlight

greenlight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Even if William Shakespeare would write the script for the movie, it would not be better. My critic is, that she (Emma) is (again) wasting time and talent for a movie, which plot was used again and again in the past. It is not new, it is not inventive, it is not demanding - just ... old. It's the same like with "Beauty and the Beast". By chance - switching through the tv-channels - I saw a version of "B&B" from 1933 (!). In Black and White and maybe the first sound version. This story is also told so many times that it is far away from beeing new, inventive, demanding.

I do not care if Chbosky is doing another version of a very old story - but I care for Emma and I want her to take parts, giving her the possibility to be a real actress, putting all her artistic talent (which is never challenged in movies like this one) in it.

But you're assuming that this movie will be rubbish right away. There's no script yet! The plot sounds iffy but a little twist here and there could make a difference.

BTW most movies these days are not really original, even some of the most critically acclaimed movies in the past,

You have movies with similar Holocaust/Nazi themes like Schindler’s List, Sophie's Choice, The Reader, etc.

About war themes? Like Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, etc.

Some of these movies are not rubbish. It's all about the execution, writing, acting and how they will put some twist into it.

Edited by greenlight, 19 October 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#66 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have to repeat myself: the plot is of no relevance for me; but this movie will not push her in any way in her artistic life. It is just a feelgood movie, she has to look pretty, nice, .......

What I want - and I take your suggestions into account - are parts in DIFFICULT movies. Let's take Schindlers List, for example. Beeing part of the cast of this movie was a artistic challange in any way - I think movies like this one pushing the actors to their limits. Bringing the horror of the concentration camps, the Holocaust and the war REALISTIC on screen is real acting art. I remember a interview with the german actors of Schindlers List. They told, that there was never a more difficult movie to do.

Not that I want to see Emma in a Wartime movie, but do you understand what I try to say? She is not growing in her abilities with such "Sunday afternoon"-movies. She is still the breathless beautiful girl, casted to play Beauties (!), College-Girls (good or bad), fairies in fairytales......

Edited by Jonny Carinthia, 19 October 2013 - 11:52 AM.

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#67 greenlight

greenlight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

I have to repeat myself: the plot is of no relevance for me; but this movie will not push her in any way in her artistic life. It is just a feelgood movie, she has to look pretty, nice, .......

What I want - and I take your suggestions into account - are parts in DIFFICULT movies. Let's take Schindlers List, for example. Beeing part of the cast of this movie was a artistic challange in any way - I think movies like this one pushing the actors to their limits. Bringing the horror of the concentration camps, the Holocaust and the war REALISTIC on screen is real acting art. I remember a interview with the german actors of Schindlers List. They told, that there was never a more difficult movie to do.

Not that I want to see Emma in a Wartime movie, but do you understand what I try to say? She is not growing in her abilities with such "Sunday afternoon"-movies. She is still the breathless beautiful girl, casted to play Beauties (!), College-Girls (good or bad), fairies in fairytales......

What the heck?Like what I said there's NO SCRIPT YET. And let's see she did Perks which was a critically acclaimed movie. She did the Bling Ring with Sofia Coppola. She will be in Darren Aronofsky's Noah. Her roles (small/big part) are diverse. She's not doing Harry Potter anymore. She will be working with some of the finest directors/writers in the industry. Regarding Beauty and the Beast project, well, Guillermo del Toro is a no-name director. Have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? One of the best movies in 2006. I don't know what are you complaining about. Her career progression is impressive. You just can't be edgy all the time because it doesn't work that way. You need to explore what you have. You can't have every role in this business. Emma needs experience. That's why working with different directors/writers is a good thing for her.

All the best actresses in the world don't have a perfect resume. Roles they think are good but somewhat ended flat. You never know. That's why they explore whether the plot is good or not for others. At the end of the day the execution of the film matters.

Edited by greenlight, 19 October 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#68 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Her  career is - what?  Feelgood movies, always casted for the same type, no real drama (maybe Yvimh will change that), after Potter not one real "A"-List movie. Noah - first previews with "disturbing results" - production firm presses director to do a re-cut (yup, a sign for a very good movie), Beauty and the Beast - fairytale, Emma's only real challange is to be pretty during the whole movie. "This is the end" - highlight a discussion about how to rape Emma Watson (yes, a cineastic highlight!), Bling Ring - well, for us Europeans only a movie about crazy Americans.....

Sorry, you cannot change my opinion: a real dramatic part for her ist still to come and she is wasting time and talent for B and C-movies.....

#69 greenlight

greenlight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Her  career is - what?  Feelgood movies, always casted for the same type, no real drama (maybe Yvimh will change that), after Potter not one real "A"-List movie. Noah - first previews with "disturbing results" - production firm presses director to do a re-cut (yup, a sign for a very good movie), Beauty and the Beast - fairytale, Emma's only real challange is to be pretty during the whole movie. "This is the end" - highlight a discussion about how to rape Emma Watson (yes, a cineastic highlight!), Bling Ring - well, for us Europeans only a movie about crazy Americans.....

Sorry, you cannot change my opinion: a real dramatic part for her ist still to come and she is wasting time and talent for B and C-movies.....

I'm not trying to convince you or anything because you sound like a broken record and a know it all as if you know better. Like what I said she needs an experience, she's working with some of the finest writers/directors around. I like her career progression. She will get that mature roles once she has the experience under her belt.

#70 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

All right, all right. And the earth is flat.

#71 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Mood::excited by tangents ô.Ô
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

BTW most movies these days are not really original, even some of the most critically acclaimed movies in the past

That's not a problem if the plot is realistic, maybe mundane. If you copy ideas that are far out there, it's much harder to find a good reason for it. There's a reason why fantasy literature that is derivative of Tolkien gets downgraded because of that.

"Ok, well, the 'hot bod' is not a characteristic."

#72 Thessalie

Thessalie

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Noah - first previews with "disturbing results" - production firm presses director to do a re-cut (yup, a sign for a very good movie), Beauty and the Beast - fairytale, Emma's only real challange is to be pretty during the whole movie. 

Concerning Noah, it was said that the audience giving bad feedback was composed of many religious people. Religious people criticizing a religious subject, for me that won't influence my vision of the movie. I'm agnostic, so I have different expectations and I won't let those people that have a different opinion interfer with mine. 

The studios said that the movie had to be recut to be less touchy, that's not saying it was badly done, just saying that religious people had problems with it. That's not the first movie to raise controversy. 

Concerning Beauty and the Beast, having seen Pan's Labyrinth I must say I expect much more from it that Emma being "beautiful and that's all". When you read the story of Pan's labyrinth, you imagine a nice story for children - well that movie deeply shocked me and I won't never ever watch it again. So we can expect Del Toro to make a very special adaptation of the classic story of Beauty and the Beast.  

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself. 

Desiderata

Max Ehrmann

#73 Arie

Arie

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

I think that this movie sound great! Super cute and fun! Definetly interested to see the direction in goes in and who else jumps on board.

My AMAZING sig is courtesy of the lovely BoMa and Dax
thanksarie.jpg
Best Member Girl Most Likely to Shop Even if the Word Was Ending Fashionista of the Forum
Twin- Ardi, Grandpa- Jon, Parents- Tara and Chris, Godfather- Dax, Daughter- Sarah, Nephew- Widu, Sisters- Catherine and Ellen, BFF- Noura, Roommate- Kim, Potato Chip- BoMa, Pea- Kimmie
totes BFFs w/ Joe 4eva

Lindy's Gift

Ellen's Gift

Boma's Gift

#74 soulsister

soulsister

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationChi-Town

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

IMO all the movie roles she's been doing post Potter, have been to teach her lessons--in MWWM, she learned 

about the American tragedy that was Marilyn Monroe. She learned how lonely and used MM really was and couple

that with drugs/alcohol, she learned how nasty and evil Hollywood is.

In Perks, she learned about American high schools, and how awkward/lonely those years can be. She saw first hand

how the American school system is and all the expectations that go hand in hand with growing up in the US. (Brown

is also teaching her the American college system).

The Bling Ring she saw first hand--via Paris Hilton, how materialistic, greedy, and nasty Hollywood is. She saw how

fans want a piece of the action, and will steal to be a part of their favorite stars world. She's seeing how shallow celebrities

really are.

All these movies she's seeing close up why JKR didn't want HP filmed in Hollywood--it's full of greedy, lonely, drugged, 

snotty people, who can never get enough $$$ and fame.

All 3 are in the same boat, and Dan/Rupert are learning the same lessons. They were all very sheltered in Leavesden,

and that was their world for over 10 years.

When she's done sampling the movie world, she's going to do what she's meant to do: BE A FULL TIME ACTIVIST. 

She's really a beacon of hope for "waking people up", especially little kids and teens. There's so much to be done, and

so little time. 

The People Tree paved the way for that and she's also been taking humanitarian and eco classes @ Brown too. That's going

to be her best role in life!!!

thumb.jpg

LEANING ON HER ROCK.

#75 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

When she's done sampling the movie world, she's going to do what she's meant to do: BE A FULL TIME ACTIVIST.

not sure if serious

#76 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

A full time activist? COME ON, BE REASONABLE!

Emma was never a activist. She did a little bit with People tree but pulled out in the moment she found out that there is no real success for her and her label. She even cancelled to follow them on twitter. She did - I think - a little bit with Camfed, but pulled out in the moment she got better jobs, like shootings or movies.

We should be realistic and not putting her on a pedestral, she does not deserve!

Oh, and soulsister: I was talking about things, she can/could learn for her acting abilities. It is of no value if she learned something about the american school-system, for example. The best thing she got out of this system was William, that's all......

#77 soulsister

soulsister

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationChi-Town

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

Ummmm....so you think she's only interested in fame and fortune?  I'm talking about her being a good

role model for little kids/teens and working with the environment. She would be great helping kids to learn to

become ecologically aware, because she's familiar to them, and they've seen her grow up. 

She lives green-practices what she preaches. She gives her dresses that she wears to premieres to her friends/resale shops,

and her favorite dress was the dark blue 1920's vintage dress she got at a resale shop. I think she wore it to the HBP premiere.

She's on the pedestal, that she deserves, because she's a good role model and a caring, kind person. Not many young actresses out there today can stand on that pedestal.

If she's not doing the movies you want her to do, why don't you write her the "perfect script", send it to her, and

see what she thinks?  I'm curious what "things" were you talking about that she can/could learn from her acting abilities?? 

What type of movie could she do, in your opinion, that would be an A-list movie? What would the character, plot etc be?

Who would be her costars? Where would it take place?

Johnny, if you were Emma's agent, what would be your ideal role for her??? What kind of image would you want her to project?? Just curious.

thumb.jpg

LEANING ON HER ROCK.

#78 berrytea33

berrytea33

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

She lives green-practices what she preaches. She gives her dresses that she wears to premieres to her friends/resale shops,
and her favorite dress was the dark blue 1920's vintage dress she got at a resale shop. I think she wore it to the HBP premiere.

The dress was burgundy and she wore it to the London POA premiere.

#79 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Ummmm....so you think she's only interested in fame and fortune?  I'm talking about her being a good

role model for little kids/teens and working with the environment. She would be great helping kids to learn to

become ecologically aware, because she's familiar to them, and they've seen her grow up. 

No, I do not think that she is "only" interested in fame and fortune. I think she tries to live a normal life in many ways (using the tube for example) and she is - also not common for a movie star - in a stable and very lovely relationship with William. But I have to disagree if you call her a green activist. Ok, she bought a hybrid-car, but this is more or less a "fashion-thing" - it was "in" to buy such a car at the time she did it and I cannot remember any other real campaignes from her, besides the journey to Bangladesh and the short intermezzo with People Tree. People Tree was one of her excursions into a field she wanted to get familiar with - fashion design in a way. But after her first exitement was over, the whole thing ended soon. The same Camfed. I do not think that she ever made a trip for them (Bonnie Wright did), and a scheduled one was cancelled by Emma due to "work comittments" (--> twitter).

and her favorite dress was the dark blue 1920's vintage dress she got at a resale shop. I think she wore it to the HBP premiere

This is maybe also a cliché. Many of her beautiful premier-dresses are only borrowed or lented by the fashion industrie. I do not think that she is spending much money on the dresses, she wears at official engagements. The burgundy dress was a exception. As far as I know the story she and her mother wanted to creat for the first time a own "Emma-style" and it worked. She was picture-perfect that evening but it was a time when the fashion industrie was not aware of her adolescent beauty. And I definitly do not think that those dresses are ending up in resale stores. They are going back to the designers, with or without the shoes, they are also provide. And her normal street-cloth? The same thing. Maybe hardcore-fans like we here (well, mostly the female ones) would love it to have a worn jeans or T-Shirt of her in the closet. I think, big cloth-donations to resale-stores are not usual in Emma's life nowadays.

She's on the pedestal, that she deserves, because she's a good role model and a caring, kind person. Not many young actresses out there today can stand on that pedestal.

Pedestal yes, but not for her activities to safe the enviroment. The role model thing is a little bit outlifed. But of course, maybe you can find aspect of her life you can follow. This is individual for each of us.

If she's not doing the movies you want her to do, why don't you write her the "perfect script", send it to her, and see what she thinks?

This script (well, it is only a "plot summary" at the moment) excists in my computer for more then a year now. It is a solid british comedy in the style of Richard Curtis, telling the story of a young, fashion addicted grammar-school teacher from London, who changes for several reasons to a little school in a very rural district of the scottisch Highlands. And in this small isolated community she learns what life is really to be - birth, death, marriage, devorce - and her own love, of course. I tried to get a professional opinion for it, but it is nearly impossible to approach a director or actor (incuding Emma) with such a thing without personal contacts. Sending it to her agency or publicist would mean that the letter would be filed in a closet and that she never would get the thing in her own hands...... I even put up a facebook-side with the plot and send her the link by twitter, but she never reacts on such things and so..... But it would be fun. Emma as teacher in a Gucchi costume and heels in the middle of a herd of sheep......

I'm curious what "things" were you talking about that she can/could learn from her acting abilities??

Acting is in any way a difficult job. No, it is a craft that you have to learn. And it is difficult to learn it proppely, if you are doing too many things at the same time. Remember the uproar, when it came out that one of her professors had said to her that she should quit acting? Maybe he put it the wrong way. I would have said to her: "Emma, make a decision. It is not good for you to do University and acting at the same time. You need no degree to show us how intelligent, witty and clever you are. I suggest that you attend a very good school for acting and concentrate on your acting career....."

Acting abilities means, that you can really impersonate a character of a movie with all the little things around a personality. Showing real emotions. Laugh, cry, be happy, be sad, act in a violent dispute, act in a emotional love scene, act as a crazy person, as a murderer, a villain ecc. ecc. She was in all her last movies never really challanged with such scenes. It's too much "feelgood" for me.

What type of movie could she do, in your opinion, that would be an A-list movie? What would the character, plot etc be?

Who would be her costars? Where would it take place?

Gravity - for example. Nothing against Sandra Bullock, but the plot would have been much better with a younger, unexperienced counterpart against the "veteran" Kowalski. But this is only a movie which comes into my mind now. But it is really difficult to make a list of A-movies here. My opinion is, that she should do a real good comedy (but not a comedy after a old, often used plot!), a heartbreaking drama (it needs great acting talent to die the right way) and a action movie. With real action. All she is doing now is too much mainstream and too much "feelgood". But maybe she is seen by the studios as a "cash cow", because her big fanbase is buying nearly everything she does.

Johnny, if you were Emma's agent, what would be your ideal role for her??? What kind of image would you want her to project?? Just curious.

I would not be her agent for long - because she is very confident and in many ways also resistant to advice. I would suggest her a radical change of her image. No more school-girls. No more witches, fairies,princesses and beauties. No more feeldgood-movies. A dramatic, emotional role in a international movie. Her image - I would suggest her to run a perfect homepage, a perfect facebook-page and that twitter is her personal channel. She has millions of fans, but she is not really interested.

Edited by Jonny Carinthia, 23 October 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#80 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

None of which means that she's not going to stay in acting. I'm sure Emma will continue to be a caring person, but I think the days where she was outspoken on a lot of issues are over rather than coming. I think Emma is aware by now that political and social messages from movie stars often don't ring true, and that she'd never really be taken seriously on these issues until she leaves show business. Which I I just can't see happening and also isn't supported by what she says. She's said she was desperate to act when she didn't get any offers for a longer time; doesn't sound like she's going to quit anytime soon.

I'm sure the last thing Emma wants to be is yet another one of those celebes who like to rub it in your face that they have the money to support feelgood causes and you don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users